Cader Idris Mountain Race, May 30.

I have entered this, as I kept hearing good things about it from fell runners.

Any advice from those that have done it?

I know it's a tough one. image

If they are allowing 1 hour 15 to get two thirds of the way up it, I'm guessing it's STEEP!! image

What kit do you need to take? Will waterproof trousers, cag, whistle, map & compass be enough??

http://www.cader-race.co.uk/

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    RR not doing this, and not a fell runner, but have walked Cadair many times. Yessssss-- it is fairly steep, it's also high. It only just misses out on being one of Snowdonia's 3000ft peaks by a few feet!  It also rises from only just above sea level, so the amount of ascent is considerable!!!! I'm guessing the route will follow the Pony Path, which is far from the most scenic route, but it does reduce the degree of slope a bit, although the steps will sap the legs!!. Have funimage
  • Thanks Jason....image

Oh my poor knees......image image image

• Ria - have you been asking about this on the FRA forums, or is that someone else?

I haven't done Cader before, but I did Snowdon last year and Ras yr Aran last month, so am hoping to survive OK image

• It is an excellent race. It starts off fairly flat (but up!), then goes through a swamp (at least the year I did it), before you get to the real up. It is the slowest race I hve ever done - over two hours for 10m, whereas my PB is about 62 minutes - but this is all the up.

You are meant to have full body cover. You'll see a lot of people use Montane Featherlite top and trous. I took waterproof trousers and a Rab vapourrise top. This was really useful at the end, so be able to take off the running top and just put this on. Can you say toasty and warm! HOwever, if your kit is nearby or you have a person holding it at the finish, then you will be able to put on what you want. You should also havea map and compass. I used a OMM rucksack, but now I'd use a bum bag I bought (like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Karrimor-raid-5-bum-bag-hydration-belt_W0QQitemZ390045285320QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090420?IMSfp=TL0904201210003r25272). It works very well for me.

The tea, sarnis and barra brith is excellent

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

took last Friday off work to do final big hilly training run - about 13M/4000ft ascent going up/down Kinder Scout 3 times - if I'm not ready for Cader now, I never will be! image

• GRBGRB ✭✭✭

wow Daz that's what I call a hill session. I'm doing this as my first fell race longer than 7 miles, and walked/jogged the course the other week - though had shin splints (from CYCLING of all things) so took it v easy indeed.

The first section on road is an uphill grind but nothing spectacular, the path through the wood is pretty boggy (there is a slightly alternative path a few yards further up which is less boggy though, if really wet might be worth the detour), then there are some rough steps up to a wall (90% at least of people walk these) then a steep zigzag up to the ridge, then another 1000ft of fairly gentle climb to the top. If it's a nice day you can't possibly miss the path or the summit. Then back down the same way. Came out as 11 miles on my Garmin.

I am very slow as fell runners go but hope I will make the 75 minute cutoff on the ridge - it would be so ignominious to be sent back down!

Off to Box Hill on Sunday to go up and down it a few times in prep for the Trionium half, should double as final preparation for Cader, at least the steep bits!

Also doing Snowdon this year for the first time image gulp.

See Slug and Ria Saturday week then image

Hi GRB!
    Don't want to worry you, but I did Snowdon last year and it nearly killed me! and Cader takes longer!
    I'm sure you'll be fine if you take it nice and steady image

Ria - How's your training been going? Looking forward to it?

I did my last few "medium" hills last night up/down Frodsham Hill a few times
    I'll probably do some steady road stuff this weekend (trying to avoid injury!) then taper down for the big day!

• GRBGRB ✭✭✭

hi Daz

yes I know Cader will take longer - the record is 1 20 something while Snowdon is a ridiculous 1 02:59 I think! Will go at whatever speed necessary to make cutoff then doubtless slow down considerably lol.

Looking forward to it in that weird way one does when takes on somethign just a tad too difficult!

• I'm not ready!!   image

I need another month......image

How many miles is it to the cut-off point of 1 hour 15? I keep hearing different distances. Does anyone know exactly?? I'm worried I'll be too slow.......image

• GRBGRB ✭✭✭

hi Ria

I'm not ready either but not sure ever will be! Cutoff is between 4.2 and 4.4 miles I'd say depending on one's gps and route. It's about 1750 feet up from the start to the cutoff which is around 1900 feet, and the summit is 2900ish (smebody can correct my approx figures I'm sure!). It's not particularly rough country and there is a path all the way, it just goes on a bit. My half marathon time is around 2 hours on  a good day and I think I will be there or thereabouts for the cutoff though not too sure - only one way to find out! I've decided just to go for it and enjoy the experience, anything else a bonus. It's a very friendly race with lots of food and drink, I've watched it before.

Will let you know my race number if and when I get one

go for it - worst that can happen is you (or I) get sent down again after a good workout on a beatiful mountain!

GRB

Hi Ria - Great to hear that you are still on for this - don't worry, I don't think anybody is truly ready for it!

cut-off looks to be at about 3.5M, which equates to roughly 20min miling - no problemo for a lass of your undoubted tenacity image  image

you won't be able to miss me at the start line - I'll be wearing a "radioactive green" Fell Ponies vest! image

carting the Slug Family down with me at some point next week - can anybody recommend a campsite in the Dolgellau/Barmouth area...?

• Thanks GRB. Even if they say I'm out of the race at the cut-off, I'm completing the race on my own. They can't make you go back down. They don't own the mountain! You just carry on as an independant hiker/runner!!
  • Hiya Daz, I'd book your campsite fast. I know someone who knows the area, & he says it books up fast at this time of year round there.
  • GRBGRB ✭✭✭

Oops must have worked out the cutoff wrong - sorry if made it sound harder than it really is! I also would plan to keep going independently if miss the time limit. Bet the adrenaline propels us up the mountain though image.havent decided what to wear yet lol but will let you know so we can say hallo. I tried to get Trail Running Association kit as we were encouraged to wear it but they havent got back to me yet.

actually, I was just going to say I'd worked out the cut-off wrong! On reflection it looks to be more like 4M, so still only 19min miling image

I'm gonna ring round some campsites asap...

• GRBGRB ✭✭✭

ha ha Daz, let's call it 4 then and call it quits lol. gd luck with campsites

• Doing the Ilkley 6.9 trail tomorrow. 900 ft climb. Good practice for Cader. image image
  • GRBGRB ✭✭✭

Hope Ilkley trail went well Ria. I did a fairly leisurely, well slow, didnt really feel leisurely, reccie of the Trionium Monro half marathon course at Box Hill yesterday - got slightly lost so closer to 14 miles, and certainly felt like 3000 ft of ascent - I think doing it in bits made it harder tbh!

I will certainly be doing the "fast walk" up on some of the up, that puts me well into my lactate threshold zone without actually running on the steep bits! Oh well, we'll see - hope the promised good weather returns at the end of the week..... image

• Hi GRB, Ilkley was really good. Met up with some lunatics off the Freckleton thread. It was quite hot up on the moors.....image But it's going to be hotter for Cader!!! image image image
  • (Daz here)

Ria - Well Done at Ilkley image Now for the BIG ONE! image

I've rung a couple of campsites (one near coast, one inland) and they both sounded pretty relaxed about not having to book, so think I'm just going to potter down on Thursday and scout one out...

final prep last Sunday was Buxton Half Mara!! imageimage
    v.hilly, but took it nice and easy (esp considering heat) and mugged my way round in 2:10

I am SO looking forward to Cader now... image

• Eeeeeeeek........not long now....image

Hope we'll be able to appreciate the views. Every time I looked up to admire the scenery at Ilkley I went over on my ankle......image I tend to stare at my feet on races like this as I'm so bloody clumsy......image

• GRBGRB ✭✭✭

eek indeed. Am now a bit stiff from my very enthusiastic training run on Monday which will at least make sure I dont overtrain this week image. Feel a bit better about Cader now I have discovered that the route I ran/walked/staggered on Monday has a race record of 1:40 so is significantly longer than Cader with same amount of ascent.

Stupidly busy and stressed at work this week so just looking forward to escaping to Dolgellau on Friday night!

Ria and Daz I will be wearing probably a tasteful (not, but very comfy) pale green/blue adidas SS shirt and a blue cap with maroon writing (like a blind date lol) - will look out for Fell Ponies!

Good weather forecast too image

• I'll be in a pink top & blue trousers. I've got blond hair. Pink rucksack. (grrrrr at having to take a load of gear with us. image)
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    jason d wrote (see)
    RR not doing this, and not a fell runner, but have walked Cadair many times. Yessssss-- it is fairly steep, it's also high. It only just misses out on being one of Snowdonia's 3000ft peaks by a few feet!  It also rises from only just above sea level, so the amount of ascent is considerable!!!! I'm guessing the route will follow the Pony Path, which is far from the most scenic route, but it does reduce the degree of slope a bit, although the steps will sap the legs!!. Have funimage
    Ok, ok, so I take it back!! RRs question got me thinking and wondering and have decided to enter!!imageimage Haven't done anything like this before - went out for an 8 mile run over the Presselis couple of days ago to try out new Mudclaw shoes - spent a lot of time puffing and walking uphill, being vaguely terrified and moving my feet very quickly while hurtling downhill (found not good idea to try and check pace on Garmin while doing this!!), and climbing out of peat bogs - without losing shoes- it was greatimage. Still think I'm going to end up walking a lot of this!! As long as I make the cut-offimage. My best time on the road for 10m is 69mins - does 2.5hrs sound about right as a guestimate time for Cadair?
  • Not long now......image

Good luck everyone. image

I'm going down tomorrow afternoon.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

*Lurks*

Having read these posts, I really want to run this - but maybe next year!  Dolgellau & area are stunningly, spectacularly beautiful but I stayed close to sea level the only time I ran there.  That was 10 years ago and it was a ten-mile road race in the valley of the river Wnion.  Had to stop at 5 miles to be re-oxygenated & hydrated and was v. close to being dead last but I enjoyed it so much, it kickstarted my running again.

Good luck to you all - you have my respect.image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

RR - all the best mountains are haunted! I've camped on the top of Cader before, but still can't write poetry, so I guess I must just be mad!!

Good luck all!imageimage I'm going to be driving up Saturday morning and staying over Sat night I think. I'll be the one wearing the "TROTS St Clears" vest, say hi if you see me at the start or as you overtakeimage