Options

Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Nicky R

Which part of North Lincolnshire do you live? Because I need a lift I from Sleaford?

• Options
    Sorry Speedie i just live on the south side of the humber so only about 10 mins from the start - hope you get a lift sorted!
  • Options

Chris Bayliss 2

Are You There?? 2 Weeks to go?

• Options
    A week to go speedy, unfortunately i seem to have picked up a bit of a calf injury image hopefully i'll be ok if not i'll go through on my bike to spectate.
  • Options

Nicky R

Why not try Tonic Water to smooth pain it contains Acid.I Hope you OK?

• Options

Hi all

im just about ready for this oneimage

hoping to get round in under 2hrs 10, im a bit of a plodder image

not too bothered about the hill as im from derbyshire and hills are the norm lol

see you all there

angie xx

• Options
    bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

Angie - come rain or shine I will be there also, and probably about your 'plodding' pace! AS long as there's not a strong wind whilst running over the bridge......

• Options

yeah the wind is the only thing that would bother me

i would actually prefer a bit cooler day so a little rain would be nice.

bring on the bridge image

• Options
    Hi Angie - I'm hoping to get round in about the same time for you.I don't know if I dare look at the weather forecast....please no rain.
  • Options
    cool and dry will do me not too much sunshine image
  • Options
    That would just be perfect. Oh god the rain today here was torrential though, I'd hate to run in that.
  • Options
    we've had really bad flooding again chesterfield was cut off in a few places
  • Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    looks like being a warm one see you there everyone image
  • Options

Finished this a little while ago.  Bit too warm to be honest although a slight breeze did help a bit in the second half.

No problems running out of water as far as I saw although I still hate warm water (from bottles being poured into plastic cups)..  Didn't like the positioning of the first water station - saw one side and moved away from it only to find there was another bit further up on the right so loads of people stopping there and hundreds of cups in between to try and avoid.

Didn't ever really get a good pace up.  The first 5 miles were congested and it was very slow and nigh on impossible to overtake on the bridge which seemed neverending!

First hill wasn't too bad.  Looked down at the ground in front of me rather than up the hill and slowly plodded up it.  Avoided the second water station and waited for the one just after half way.
    Some great man had a hosepipe out around 7-8 miles (a little before the water station) and an ice cold drenching with that was great image

Actually managed to run up part of Gravel Pit Road and would like to thank No 583 for that - well positioned girl in front of me meant I didn't have to look up the hill and she kept my mind off the run for a bit (not sure if she would appreciate knowing I was staring at her bottom for a while though!)

Saw 4 people who had collapsed and were getting medical attention. 
    One was around 8 miles.
    A second between 10-11 miles and about 400m? from the water station - some decent runners ran into the road and stopped a couple of cars to get them to inform the paramedics further up the road.
    The other two were on the bridge, one about 400m from the finish as well.  The paramedics seemed to have oxygen out there unless it was a precaution.  Let's hope they were fine.

Eventually came in around 1h57:45 or something which isn't great for me (did a training run on Friday in 1h40 in cooler temps).  3 out of the last 4 runs I've done in hotter temps have resulted in dodgy times for me.

• Options

Well done for your time Scott! It was my first half marathon and I finished in 2hrs 15. I guess I'm pleased with that, given the heat. It was just so hot, and like you I saw a few people getting medical attention, and one on the bridge that the marshalls/paras hadn't got to yet but had lots of people with her. I really hope everyone is ok.

Amazing support though all round, lots of hoses and kids with supersoakers, a bowl of oranges at one house and plenty of applause and encouragement.

• Options
    Forgot to add - good organisation and a fab medal thankyooou to everyone involved!
  • Options

ive just got back and can say i loved it, way too hot for me but with a bit of powerwalking i got round in 2hrs 17 mins not my fastest but considering the heat its good

i also saw the people being tended too by the ambulances and hope they are ok the bloke being helped at 8 miles didnt look well at allimage

all in all a good race well worth the journey well organised

and 1 damn long bridge image

• Options
    Did the guy at 8 have the oxygen mask? I remember seeing him. I hope he's ok. Well Done Angela!
  • Options

hi clare didnt see him with one on but had a drip in

well done to you too

• Options
    That was rather warm, worth the 165 mile round trip though.
    I hope all those who were overcome by the heat have recovered.
    Put me down for next year!
  • Options

Well done all.

It was a day for running conservatively as conditions were pretty harsh with little shade.  Shame a few ran into real difficulties.  Hope they're ok.  I've come across a few disengagement techniques for toughing out a hill.  Wouldn't like to think a man was using my wife's behind as motivation, as would most men I hope.

78:24 for me - about 4 mins off normal due to conditions, not wanting to do any damage and lack of anyone to chase for a long way in front.

Well organised event all round, especially given the effort and planning required to cone off quite a busy area.  Nice atmosphere at the end.

Best provincial race in terms of crowd support I've come across.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done everyone.   Hope those who needed attention recover well.

Very hot today and with such conditions it was never going to be a day for 'fast' running.  I decided to run conservatively and was pleased to stay 'comfy' most of the way.  Finished 2nd lady in 1:31 about 4 mins outside what I thought I would run on that course, but very pleased with finishing without feeling I had 'gone to the well'. 

Well done to the organisers for a smooth operation and being out on the course giving lots of encouragement.  Nice support from locals too around the course.

• Options

Wish I could have run conservatively like you (rather than pedestrian)! image

It's a shame they can't cordone off one side of the road on the bridge.  It would help a lot with congestion problems if the southbound carriageway was closed - they do it now and again when doing maintenence.  The pavement is far too narrow as it only seems to allow 3 abreast - seems wider on the other side or is it due to thinner runner numbers?

• Options

Well they say that you learn from your mistakes and I had a big lesson today. I was one of those that was out of it on the bridge - the worst place to need help!!

This was my 5th half this year and I have noticed tonight that at the 6 mile mark I was 3 minutes faster than my quickest time - yes, very silly!!!!

Just managed to keep some fluids down and it will be running slower for me from now on.

The St Johns Ambulance team were great and I would also like to thank a guy who took care of me for the 15 minutes before they arrived. He was an elderly chap watching his son and I am upset that I did not get his name and number to thank him personally.

Well done to all of the runners that finished and enjoyed the race. I also found out that Hull is not as flat as I thought it was......

• Options

All the best Andy!

I managed 1:42:48 - a PB by some 45 seconds. Was keeping up a great pace and feeling good up until 8.5 miles then the hills got me. Picked up the pace until th bridge and then struggled over that  - seemed to go on for ever.

Took it steady through all the water stations, making sure I got a cup or two down me at each one (I usually get a sip then spill the lot - not a good idea today in the heat).

Really enjoyable race - nice atmosphere throughout, great support especially in Barton.

• Options
    Id like to say a big thank you to all those at the event today. The support I got whilst running round with my bergen on my back was quite humbling.  For one of the larger entry provincial events, it still managed to keep a friendly family feel.
  • Options

Quite a range of results for this.

The winner is around 1m12s faster than the second person and there's about 4 mins between 1st and 4th!

Came 646th out of 1516 finishers overall with a chip time of 1h56:45..........would have got something like 180th place had I run this in the same time I did Friday's 13.2 mile training run!

• Options

http://www.vikingfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=1158590&spid   

Have a look at this video of someone driving the course if you'd like to relive it from the comfort of a car.

It still seems a long way but not as hot!

• Options

Well done everybody & if any organisers are reading this a big thankyou - I thought the race was really well organised and marshalled. I thought the crowds and the atmosphere were great.

Boy was it hot though...glad to hear I'm not the only one down on normal times cos I was a bit annoyed yesterday. I was 3 minutes slower than last year but I know I'm much fitter now after a years training.

Still, it could have been even slower had a woman that I'd been trading places with all race not given me some encouragement on the bridge when I was really shattered.

Looking forward to next year now