Not able to run 5k thread

18910111214»

Comments

• It may well be a case of as your fitness improves the occurrences will decrease. 
  • I started healthy eating in august at the heaviest I’ve ever been 18 st 3 with walking. I’ve now got down to 13 st 3 and commenced running on treadmill three weeks ago could barely do 3 minuets. I completed first 5k with out stopping yesterday in just over 29 mins at mainly 10kmper hour with little bit faster at the end.

I don’t know where to go now do I keep trying to increase distance or try to improve pace?

My goal is a 10k in April to keep motivated
  • Roll call, 6ft2,15st 40 year old former smoker :/

After years of thinking about it, I've finally bought the shoes and downloaded the app, currently on week 1, run 2 and completely spent by the end

I've previously been hill walking fit, regularly doing 10 - 20 mile hikes but that went out of the window this year with suspected COVID and a newly acquired fibromyalgia diagnosis.

Aspirations of trail running up to the half marathon mark, but seems very ambitious at the mo. Hell, not sure I could even walk that distance at the mo!
  • > @Geedeebp said:
    > Roll call, 6ft2,15st 40 year old former smoker :/
    >
    > After years of thinking about it, I've finally bought the shoes and downloaded the app, currently on week 1, run 2 and completely spent by the end
    >
    > I've previously been hill walking fit, regularly doing 10 - 20 mile hikes but that went out of the window this year with suspected COVID and a newly acquired fibromyalgia diagnosis.
    >
    > Aspirations of trail running up to the half marathon mark, but seems very ambitious at the mo. Hell, not sure I could even walk that distance at the mo!

C25K app that is
  • Looking at it from my point of view this thread is full of great achievers. im 52 I have not started running yet. If i could get as good as hspurs is then i would take that all day long..
  • Looking at this thread and remember my first runs. Painful... Trust the training apps, they really will get you there!
  • @jonboymentalhealth - welcome the the forum and congratulations on the remarkable weight loss and completing your first 5K without stopping. In terms of your question I would suggest, if your goal is to complete 10K in April, to increase your distance. By building up your stamina you should find that your pace will naturally start to improve as well. 

@Geedeebp - again welcome. As sim2021 says the app will get you there, although with your recent health issues have you discussed what you're doing with your GP? If not it might be worthwhile just letting them know so they can advise accordingly. 

@SteveForbes - hopefully it's not going to be too long before you're out there running. It is tough not to wonder at others performance and try to measure ourselves against them, but we are all different. As long as you're happy with what you do that's the main thing.
  • Hi all. Good to see so many others in the same boat (not the fact we're struggling but the fact we are all together on that one!)
    I recently started running again after many years of bad health and not caring about myself. I've managed to get myself down to 9.5 stone from over 18 stone so that's something. I managed this mainly through walking and a better diet but now feel the need for the extra health and fitness kick.
    I've started doing some HIIT type running. I am just managing to get to that 50 seconds/minute mark now which for me is amazing.
    The only thing that I am finding is that after my session, I'm finding my sugar levels (at least, that's what I think it is) seems to take a very big dip and I'm feeling a little more than just spaced out. More like, if anyone has ever taken diazepam or anything like sedative medication, something like this but nowhere near as bad/strong, obviously. Over the last two days, I've lengthened my warm-up and cool down and have found this has helped a fair amount?

Hope all is well!