Not able to run 5k thread

Comments

• Hi and welcome, I'm a beginner aswell. Well done on the start you've made.

TOTM affects my everything, I've been told that as fitness/nutrition improves so do your hormonal balances cant only be a good thing cant it.

As for 5km events have you seen if there are any Race For Life events near you. Women only and more about the event than the speed/times. You can walk the 5km if you want.

Some advice I was wisely given was to forget the speed of my run/walk just be proud of what you are doing.

Enjoy your running and good luck with WW.

• Thanks Gem,  I am just happy to be running at the moment.  I haven't even thought about times yet.  My first goal is to get to run for fifteen minutes continually, and I don't care how long it takes.  I'm out again tomorrow morning, today is a rest day. 

There is a RFL near me this weekend, too late to enter now, but I will definitely do one around September time I think.  I'm very lucky to live in a valley in the countryside so I get to have a lovely view whilst I'm run/walking.  I don't know if I'd be running outside if I still lived in London!

• Morning all.

I'm feeling really chuffed today - I went out for my early morning run/walk today, and started with my usual 3 mins run / 1 min walk.  I repeated a couple of times, and for the first time ever I didn't feel puffed out or tired, so decided to just run for as long as I could manage.

I actually ran for 10 minutes without stopping!  That's just unbelievable for me!  I couldn't understand how I could improve so substantially in such a short time!

The challenge now is to be able to do that again on Saturday morning - I'm nervous that it was a "one off" and I won't be able to do it again.

Came home feeling absolutely pleased as punch!

• That's great Sue!  And promising for someone like me who is still at the very beginning!

I dream about being able to run for 10 minutes! lol x

• You'll get there, Milford!  And probably sooner than you think, if my experience is anything to go by!

I started 5 weeks ago being barely able to run for 30 seconds at a time.

My short term goal is to be able to run for 20 minutes without stopping - I can't wait!

• I am WEAK!!!!!!!!!

Treadmill day, the aim was 20 minutes at 6.8 MPH (0.3 mph faster than last week's 20 minutes of treadmill hell), got to 15 minutes and the thought of another 5 at that pace defeated me image and I slowed down to walking pace for a minute or so before speeding back up! GrrrrrrrrrrrI should have done it all I KNOW If I had just got past that barrier I could have made it image. Still to try a proper 5K but I know I must be getting close if I took it slow enough. Probably ran the best part of 2.5 miles in the open on Monday, but I know I couldn't have taken a step more.

Sue, I am sure you are nearing your goal and that, the 10 minutes wasn't just a one off! Milford great thing about being at the very beginning is that the progress will come all the quicker image

• No, No, Teepeedee, you're not weak! 

Perhaps you're trying to up your pace too soon. 

Anyway,  walking for just one minute out of 20 sounds extremely good to me!  Well done. 

• Thanks Sue.. Guess I needed that, was just feeling a bit down about it, got a "FUN RUN" a week on saturday the distance should be easy ( about 2.5 K I think) but there are HILLS (BIG HILLS), I am cacking myself! I have yet to do any running beyond on the flat or on  the tread mill.
  • Hello all image Well done to everyone for keeping at it. I haven't managed to get out at all this week, until today so I was expecting a bad run today but I managed 2.5 miles which is about 4km image

Got slightly entangled with a charity bike ride around Southampton common but other than that a very pleasing, if somewhat exhausting, run!

• Morning everyone,

Well done to all of you for getting out and about.  I had a run/walk this morning, went a little bit further and although I am still walking more than running, two of my 30/s spurts were actually 45/seconds so I was very happy!  And I needed to do one more run and my daughter was too knackered so I ran on ahead and then slow walked home as she caught me up.  And I was hot and sweaty, which is brilliant cos I really have trouble getting to that level!

Rest day tomorrow then out at 7am Tuesday morning.  And I am thinking of entering the Adidas 5k challenge in September.

• Hi guys

Just got back from a week in Spain so havent been doing a great deal of running.

Not unless pub crawls count!!

• Hey all, did my first ever 30 minute run last night image

2.82 miles - going to try for a full 5k on Sunday! It pelted it down all the way round so I was soaked when I got home but it was great fun image

• Hi All - can I join you?  Been reading all your posts and its really encouraging to hear from other people out there just starting out - some of the more established threads seem a wee bit intimidating!image

I am coming back to running after not doing pretty much any exercise in the last 2 years.  I started off with a RFL and kind of got the bug, I did the ~Edinburgh 10k but was slow and never ever felt easy.  I did have a place in the GNR but I think the thought of the distance overwhelmed me and I just sort of stopped training and running - really angry with myself to be honest.

I am about 2.5 stones overweight now so a bit concerned about the old joints and knees HOWEVER have decided that enough's enough!

Dug out all my gear, am starting on a run/walk programme as I doubt I will even be able to run for 1min without stopping at the moment!image  I have decided that I will begin at the weekend and in the meantime I am leaving the car at home and walking the 2 miles to work each day for the rest of this week to get my legs used to actually being used again! - well it couldn't hurt could it!

I am signed up for a RFL in July so here goes!  Looking forward to hearing all your progress in the weeks to come!image

• Hi all,

Another beginner here, thought I'd "touch base"... and I'm wondering, am I doing this right?!

Basically I got talked into doing the RFL (May 31, Hull) by a friend who's a much better runner than I, and I thought I'd use it as a springboard to actually get off my a*se and get fitter in the long term. I'd like to be 1.5/2st lighter really, and generally more active as I've got a desk job which involves zero exercise. 

Started training about 6 weeks ago, then did something to my knee (I'm no expert but it felt like a patellar tear or something - it bloody hurt and there was no way I could run, and walking was bad sometimes). It's only just started to heal in the past week after strapping it up and resting a bit, so I'm back out there again,and it seems fine, but I can't seem to do a 5K in under 40 mins, with some running and walking. 

Am I worrying too much about doing too much? I keep telling myself that, having being generally idle for the past few years, Rome wasn't built in a day etc. Some days my legs feel heavy and tired and I have to really motivate myself to get going. I think I've had a psychological barrier to running for so many years, stemming from my PE teachers' appalling attitude to anyone who wasn't really sporty, and I also have this sort of paranoia thing that people will point and laugh if I go out and run on the streets, so I put my ipod on to block it all out - anyone else get this?!

So... I know one shouldn't be too bothered about times, but I'm wondering, is 40 mins for 5K about right for a beginner?

Good luck to all those doing the RFL! (I know you can walk it, but I want to at least attempt running some of it.)

Sam

• Hi Sam - I think me and you have killed this thread! LOL

I dont think you need worry too much - if you only started running about 6 weeks ago you are making great progress.

It took me a good 8 or 10 weeks when I first started out to be able to run 5k non stop and my best time for running the whole way was 33 mins - so I think you are doing absolutely fine.

Remember to take it easy when coming back from an injury - slow and steady is the best way.

Angie x

• Hi Angie, Hi Sam... I think I was the thread killer as no-one came in here after my last post till you two popped up!

I haven't run for ten days as I have had a niggling pain in my back, so today I walked the kids to school which is uphill ALL the way and takes 25 minutes.  I decided to run/walk back.  Sam, I know exactly how you feel about being self-conscious.  I am 16st at present having just lost a stone.  I was really worried and then this morning I started the five minute walk beofre my first run and panicked!  I was terrified A) my back would hurt and B) mum's from school would drive past and laugh.  Then I thought S*d it!  I got to five minutes and started to run, and did a whole minute, which was my first ever whole minute, then two mins walk, and I did it four times!  I was thrilled, knackered and exhilerated.  I went for a fifth but only did 20 seconds before my legs turned to jelly so i walked home, but I was only a couple of minutes away anyway.

I envy you both for being able to run in a long stretch like that!  I can't ever see me doing that but I am having lots of fun trying!

Chrissie x

• Hi Chrissie

Well done for deciding to "just do it" and you can take great please in the fact that whilst you are out there becoming a runner, most people are still just sitting on their backsides and laughing at us red-faced sweaty people - we will have the last laugh tho! image

You did really well with your run/walk and it really does become easier, every time you go out you manage to run just a bit longer, it may be 10 seconds or it may be 30 but it comes with a HUGE sense of achievement.

I haven't run for 3 years, and starting back on run/walk on Sunday, I doubt I will manage a full minute of running so you are not alone!

Keep it up

Angie x

• Can I but in please? 

I've tried running on and off for years without success but having seen this on Thursday I did 8 mintues of run 30 seconds walk 90 seconds this morning. The shower when I got home was so wonderful as were the 3 large mugs of tea.  I'll do the same on Sunday, on Monday its a 12 mile walk as I'm 'training' for the Edinburgh Moonwalk.

• slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭

Hi ladies, just want to encourage you to keep it up.  the big thing is not to expect too much, too soon from yourselves - if you progress slowly but steadily you are much less likely to get injured.  Gradually increasing the length of the time you run between walk breaks will get you there.

Don't worry about pace at all - it's stamina you need to build initially, and if it takes you 40 minutes or more for 5k, it really doesn't matter.  Slow running will help you build up your strength and endurance -pace comes afterwards.

• Aaah thanks Slo sho, it's lovely to get some encouragement.  No chance of me overdoing it, I really need the rest days!  I know I'll wake up tomorrow with stiff legs.  I had to walk to pick the kids up from school so did another 25 minutes uphill and a belssedly easy 25 minutes back down!  so all in all today I have walked for almost 2 hours with a bit of running thrown in.  Can you tell the battery is flat on my car? lol image

Angie, thanks - I wasn't worried at all about being laughed at, I actually was grinning with excitement when I was doing the third running segment!  Like you said, I'm still out there doing it!  Won't let the other half come out with me though.  For some reason he's the only person I don't want to see me wobble!

Mrs G...Welcome, it's lovely to have you here!  good luck for the Moonwalk and well done on the run/walk today.  I'd kill for a cuppa, but I gave up tea five weeks ago!! Apparently having three sugars in it isn't good for weightloss and I can't stand it without!

• Hi all

Not been on for a while - hope everyones going OK.

Have been having a little trouble with a joint - sacro iliac - i injured some time ago - not running btw!!

Just done 3 mins run 1 walk 5 times to ease back in to it.

Hope others are having better luck image 

• I'm just worried I'm in danger of undoing all my good work over this bank holiday weekend with 3 days on the p*ss! Bit hungover today after part one of the 3 nights out in a row (that doesn't often happen!) and don't really feel like running (there's an outside chance I might later if I have a kip!), and I certainly won't after Sunday when we're all going to celebrate/drown our sorrows after the big Hull City v Man U match... but I tell myself it's a holiday weekend and I shouldn't feel guilty! And I've been invited to a party the day before RFL image...I know some people can run hungover, but it's not for me. 

Sam

• At last I'm back out running!

I managed to tear my hamstring about 6 weeks ago - a combination of increasing distance too quickly and not stretching enough afterwards made it go very tight, and then it went 'ping' one day when i was getting dressed image

I've been out of action since then, having physio, ultrasound, and doing some strengthening exercises, but after a gentle run and a couple of gym sessions, my physio has finally told me that I'm OK now. I've got to build up very gently, so I've been told to cut back from 30 minutes continuous running (which was where I'd got up to), right back to 4 x 3 mins run/1 min walk, and I can build up gradually over the next three weeks.

Never thought I'd be so glad to be able to run again - I went out last night and it felt great to be back image And I've still got 7 weeks til my RFL, which should be more than enough to get me round (I hope)

But I'll never skimp on stretching again, I promise!!!

• Sallya - great to hear you are back out there!  And you have ages to RFL which will mean you will be cruising round the course image

Well, after almost 3 years of not running I went back out there today!  As I am basically starting from nothing I decided to follow the RW Nougth to 30 programme so today was supposed to run a minute walk for 90 seconds x 10.  The first minute run felt good, so on the next rep I thought I would run for 90 seconds, again that felt good and I recovered well within 90 seconds, next rep I ran for 2 minutes before legs started screaming and I needed the full 90 seconds to recover!  However I managed to do another 4 reps of 2 mins run/90 secs walk.  Had a really good stretch off when I got back as I do tend to suffer from tight calfs and achilles - but all in all feel fab!image

Cannot wait until my next session on Tuesday!  I have also decided that I am going to do core strengthening exercises as I think thats what did me in the last time - as I pushed up the mileage my back didnt like it!  I have a really weak core - but am determined to sort this image

Hope everyone else all doing well.

Angie x

• I am physically fine (touch wood) but now struggling with feelings of immense guilt after a 3-day blowout sort of put paid to my fitness plans! (but can I be excused for celebrating Hull City staying in the Premier League with a night full of alcohol and pizza...?) Must get back on the streets tomorrow! I tell myself that now the football's over for a bit, I've no excuse to really make the running a long-term goal and I guess I shouldn't worry about this weekend's blip!

Sam

x

• HullCitySam - congratulations they deserve it.

Went out on Sunday and did about 30 minutes of run 30/walk 90, even at 7.00am it was very warm. Feeling good.
  • Hi Everybody

Went out this morning did 6 x 3 min stagger 1 min walk around the park.

First few mins felt like quitting - dead legs no energy.

However stuck it out and at the end felt great.

So great in fact that I was shuffling around nodding my head vigorously to some ACDC and looked up to see half a dozen dog walkers staring at me!!

• Out again at 7am and managed to stumble along for 20 mins - without stopping!!

That must be at least 1/2 mileimage

Was in the park and this lady was absolutely galloping around. I know i should be thinking good on ya gal but was secretly thinking - oooooooo ya cow!!image

• That's funny, Slowjoe - I know how you feel though.  I feel very envious when fast serious runners go effortlessly past me while I puff and pant and struggle!

I was out at 5.30 this morning (mad, I know!) and managed to run 5 mins / walk 2 mins for 30 mins.  Felt great afterwards, but can't help being a bit disappointed that my progress is so slow.  I started a beginners programme a couple of months ago, and according to that I should be able to run 30 minutes continuously by now.  I'm nowhere near that.

My excuse is that I'm old (48) and my body doesn't want to co-operate!

• I keep finding excuse after excuse not to step it up a gear, and it's frustrating!

I've got asthma and forgot to order repeat prescriptions for my inhalers (why does it take two days to write one out?!), so am reluctant to run until I get them tomorrow...

Then got called into work to do 11-7 tpday, when I didn't think I was supposed to be in...

Then it's the European Cup final tonight....!