Not able to run 5k thread

Comments

• Slowjoe - and I'm a pear-shaped hobbit (small and squat....without the hairy feet!) and am often convinced that nature laughs when I try and move fast!! Well done on weight loss though. Brilliant. I could do with shifting a stone or so, but NOTHING gets rid of the lardy arse sadly!!
  • I started 'running' at the back end of last year - primarily to lose some weight and get into shape. In 8 or so months I've lost 3 stone, so I'm happy with that, just need to loss another stone and I'm there so far as my weight is concerned.

Over the winter I did all my training on a treadmill at home - starting of with a brisk walk then running at about (according to the treadmill)  5.5 - 6mph. Towards the end I crank it up to 7.5mph then slow down to a walk just too cool down.

I can manage about 4 miles before I have to stop - this is with the treadmill set at a slight incline. However, when I go out on the road, I can only just manage 2 miles, on a relatively flat road, and that is with a rest half way. Somehow I cannot seem to gat past the 2 mile mark and it's getting me down.

I'm doing the GNR in September and am starting to think more and more that I won't be able to do it - well I will do it supposing I have to walk, but the fear is that I'm going to look like a plonker ... image

• Hey Wylie  -  I was where you are a while back, entered for a half taking place at the end of June and started training about the same time beforehand from a standing start  -  totally unfit and no idea what to do.  I hit a brick wall at about 3 -4 miles too and started hating every second and feeling that I wasn't progressing but my husband made me keep at it   -  going slower if necessary just so long as I kept going at all -  and it did start to get easier and I know I'm going to come last at the HM but I will get round!

I'm no seasoned runner so my advice probably isn't worth that much but I have found that for me running outside and running on a treadmill are very different things and the only thing to do to get past that block is to keep going  -  you've got more than two months to go yet so you've got loads of time.

You won't look like a plonker, you'll look like someone doing the GNR, which is much more than can be said for those standing watching the GNR or sitting at home watching it on the telly or not even knowing that such a thing exists!  It's easy on these boards to compare yourself with the speedfreaks and dedicated runners who've been doing it for years but nobody starts at 7 minute miles and most people in 'real' life don't do anything at all so whatever you're doing is more than 90% of the population!

Soapbox mode....off!

• Thanks for that Bellaboo, it's nice to know that I'm not alone lol. Oh yes I'll keep going, I'm not the kinda guy to give up, just sometimes it seems so hard, but I know that it will be worth it after the day is done.

In any case I'm also doing to raise money for Dementia which my dad died with 4 years ago, so I have to do it, and will do it, for him

• I posted this about a month ago

Hi all

Not been on for a while - hope everyones going OK.

Have been having a little trouble with a joint - sacro iliac - i injured some time ago - not running btw!!

Just done 3 mins run 1 walk 5 times to ease back in to it.

Hope others are having better luck image 

Now Im managing 20 minutes at a time - not easily but its not killing me.

Hope it gives some encouragement.

• Wylie

Have u tried doing 5 x 1/2 mile with a small walking break in between?

If ur running at ur treadmill speed outside ur doing about 20 minutes? And it seems ur stamina is the issue. So perhaps u might want to try and build up to 30 minutes even if there are more walk breaks.

BTW i know nuthin - Im just having a guess hereimage

• Had a lovely run this morning - weather was beautiful at 6.00.  I managed my usual run for 5 mins/walk for 2 mins x 3 then managed an 8 min run home.  Felt quite pleased with myself.

For the first time I decided to use my iPod, but I don't think I'll bother again.  My earpieces kept falling out, I found it hard to keep a steady pace when the music tempo changed, and I prefer hearing the birds sing and general nature noises!

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Wylie Cayote- hi hope you don't mind me butting in. i have been reading your posts and you have done really well. i am new to running, but was given some great advice. don't think too much about the distance you are running outside, think about the time. i started walk/run and built up slowly a few mins more running each time. can now run 40 mins at one go, think this is about 4 miles. i am going to steadily increase my time by 5-10 mins one run a week, slow and steady but a real confidence boost when you eventually do measure the distance. hope this helps. really good luck in the GNR i'm sure you will do well. great cause you are running for too. my nan has dementia and it is heart breaking. GOOD LUCK
  • Hi all

Went out for a lap around the local reservoir 1.3 miles - found it tough going think im coming down with a bit of a cold.

Anyone else been out this weekend?

Hope uv all done better than me.

• Just for a change this am decided I was just gonna do something different.

so took the dog and his new toy up the park

5 mins warm up then ran fastish - by my standards lol - length of football pitch then slow same distance and repeat til 20 mins done then 5 mins cool down. All the time throwing the dogs toy in the slow bits.

It was quite tough but in a strange way felt like mucking about and thus was great fun.

I bet people watching couldnt tell the difference between the fast bits and the slow bits tho image

• That sounds pretty impressive, Slowjoe.  Well done!

I'm well cheesed off.  I've had pretty bad lower back pain for the past few weeks, and saw a physio today for some treatment.  She reckons she can treat me quite easily over the next three weeks or so, but I'm not to do any running for TWO whole weeks!  This is so annoying, especially as I'm very motivated at the moment.

But my stupid old  weak body just won't co-operate.

Grrrrrr.  image

• Hi, I'm fairly newish to this site but just wanted to share my experience so far!!

I am currently on about week 6 of the Bupa training schedule and tonight I will covering 7 mins run, 2 mins walk x 3!!

Did run nearly a mile (had to walk up the hill!!) on Saturday so feel more confident this week.

I have taken up running to try and lose weight as well as going to Slimming World and for someone who is 17stone and 5ft 2ins, I think I am doing ok!!

Just wondered when you finish a beginners training plan, how many times and for how long do you train a week.  Also weight wise, are you finding a difference?  I can't  say I am yet but it is getting addictive!

• Sorry to hear that Sue. Looks like rest is the only option. I know I too will come to this because I try to do too much - even tho i fight it I know Im gonna overdo it one of these days.

Hi Racquelscatt. Welcome to the neverending world of running. You will find after the beginners training plan there are boatloads of other training plans you can follow - depending on what u want to do.

It was only a few weeks ago I was doing run / walk and now can manage the 20 mins non stop reasonably comfortably - although I have been overtaken by pensioners with zimmer frames on occasion. The big problem tho I think with running is you will forget what u have achieved and instead focus on what u cant yet do.

3 months ago when i couldnt run 20 secs if someone said I would be able to run for 20 mins Id have been delighted. Now i can run for 20 mins I just think why cant i run for an hour LOL 

• Thanks Slowjoe.  I'm trying to be philosophical about it, but am actually really worried that I'll have to start again at square one, and be unable to run for more than about a minute at a time.

Hi Racquelscatt.  I'm at about the same stage as you, though it's taken me longer to get there!  I go out every other morning for about 30 mins, starting with a 5 minute walk to warm up and finishing with a 5 minute wak to cool down!  No difference at all to my weight - but I think I've probably toned up.

Good luck - how did you get on yesterday?

• Hi sue,  Yes, I did the 7 mins run, 2 mins walk programme x 3!!  Was nacked but felt good afterwards!

I think its quite suprising what can be acheived in a short space of time and I can see how it can running can become addictive!

I think its great you can run so early in the morning Sue, unfortunately, it doesn't suit me, I find it easier between 4-6pm!!

• Hi all

Did a steady 20 mins this am - found it hard going

WHEN DOES IT GET EASIER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think ill have a day off tomorrow - trouble is i work nights and walk the dog when i get home

so I think well might as well have a little run whilst taking the dog out - doesnt take any more time really.

Also when I go home feeling cross it tends to evaporate when i run. Well - stagger really.

• Hello everyone,

This is just the thread for me - I have started running so many times and I have always given up after about 3 months because my progress is so slow.  After 3 months I can just about run a mile before having a walk break so I'm not going to be bearking any records very soon.

It's time to try again  - all your stories make me think I'm not so freakish and it's very inspiring to hear people's progress.  Please keep posting your progress as I really enjoy reading them.

But down to business - I'm hoping some of you guys will hold me to account and keep me from saying 'oh I'll start next week, at the weekend, when it's stopped raining, when I've finished this project'.  This has been going on for over a year now and it's not good enough.

I'm planning on starting bright and early tomorrow am - first day,  first week of the beginners plan (again).  Please don't let me get away with putting it off any longer.

Anyway - thanks again for all your stories - you've all made me smile!

• Welcome Pog

Looking forward to u telling us all about ur run tomorrow.image

• scinsanescinsane ✭✭✭
    I have been running with my friend who has her first 5k run next month, she managed 4.5k last night without stopping which is very good considering on her first non treadmill run she managed just 300mts!! I am no runner (the odd 10k and sprint triathlon but im built for rugby not running) but i would encourage everyone to give running a try - just get off the treadmills and get outside, you cant' beat it!
  • Trying to get back into training after being half-arsed about it for too long; housesitting tonight which is boring so I think I am going to attempt a run in East London. Not sure if this is a good idea, but then I guess it's always a great incentive to pretend I'm running from a mugger! Anyone know of any good routes in the Plaistow / Canning Town / London City Airport way?
  •  Well I finally got out and did it.    3 miles in total 1min run/1.5 min walk.  It was really, really hard!  My legs were like jelly at the end of it and I'm already starting to stiffen up.  I have no idea how I'm going to cope with 2 minutes let alone 5 or 7.  How did everyone else cope with the transitions?

It was really worth it though - why did I wait so long?  

• Hi Poggendorff

Increase the time you run very very gradually!  Keep at the same 1 min run/1.5 min walk until it feels comfortable, then increase it to 1.5 min run/1 min walk.

Doing it gradually is important. 

I've overdone it (being impatient as usual) and now I can't run at all for a couple of weeks - I've jarred my back. 

• Pog

Just keep doing it and u will improve.

I found it helpful to just say to myself that Im gonna keep doin this no matter how bad I think I am.

3 months ago I was struggling to run 1 minute.

Saturday i did 4 mins run 1 walk for 5 miles!!

• Ok - I hear you all and I know the 'repeat weeks until it feels comfortable'.

I just worry that if I really wait until it feels comfortable I'll never get off the 1 min/1.5 min section. Frankly it's never comfortable.

Sorry - just being grumpy here. There seems to be a long road in front of me.

(Sorry to hear your back is playing up Sue - I hope it gets better soon. My Mum has had chronic back pain for years so I know it can be extremely debilitating)
  • Pog

Im not sure how people define comfortable.

I still find it hellish - especially the first ten minutes or so.

I thinks its very difficult to balance pushing too hard against taking it too easy - and u only actually know when uv pushed too hard when u do it.

• try to tun often and don,t have breaks over a week, i did this and found it hard to get back into it, ive only been runnin since xmas and i,m upto 10k about 3 times a week, image
  • Minor disaster here

Been struck down by man flu and havent run since the weekend.

Feeling very glum and hoping i havent regressed too much.image

• Poor you, Slowjoe.  Hope you feel better soon.  

I'm off to the doctor's this afternoon with my bad back.  Don't know if she'll be able to do anything ...

• Best of luck Sue

Hope everyone else is sticking at it.

Some of the earlier posters seem to have disappearedimage