running club fees

Joined a running club, under a family membership last year (as my kids were running there), but felt I was way too slow and out of condition, and only ran there a couple of times.

My kids have now moved on to other interests, and the renewal notice has come through.  For me to join as an individual member is £93.00 for the year.  It has a good track which is obviously lit in the winter, and they also run out on the roads.  There are 2 club nights a week.

I have seen on other threads, that peeps think they can get their club membership back when entering races.  I would have to be running a heck of a lot to even get close to recouping mine!

So can I be cheeky and ask  what is everyone else paying, and what do you get for the money?

Comments

• £30 a year.  Includes 2 weeknight runs and a Sunday run as well.

Track sessions run once a week at a cost of £2 per session but there is a non track run on the same night which is free so you have the choice.

• £1 a week for main training session on Thursday, with free tea & biscuits thrown in. Other sessions on Monday, Saturday and Sunday are free. Annual membership £5.

We also have a monthly pub social night which costs us £4, and the club pay the other £1 to the pub.

• Thanks for the replies.

My club offer road runners (no track) for £53.00, but even that looks quite expensive.

Looked at another club which is only a little further, and they seem much more reasonable.  

Would feel like a bit of a traitor though running listed for the next town.  I only 'do' half marathons at the moment and dont wear the club colours as Im a real back of the pack plodder.  Then no one would really know .......

• £30, or £20 for unwaged like me. The club uses a university sports centre as its base for the two weekly road sessions and this must cost of course. Also we have four club handicaps with a free buffet afterwards. Plus the club covers entry fees for cross-country when running as a team. Add in the £2 off most races through being an affiliated club member and that looks pretty good value.
  • Mine is £20, including membership of UK Athletics. No access to a track, structured training twice a week, with two further off-road runs available. Free transport arranged to London for FLM (with friends & family paying £10) - this is from the Southampton area.

I'd say of another club meets your needs better, you should move, but I think it would be polite to say you were.

• £22 a year and our club is affiliated to uk athletics. Two training sessions a week, Tuesday and Thursday.

An absolute bargain when you consider we get race entry £2 cheaper as we are an affiliated club.

• £25 - new club - just started.  affiliated. one meet  a week with coaches.  no track (thank goodness) but speedwork, Kenyan hills etc.  Seems like good value to me - if you go every week that's about 50p a session.image
  • £10 per year, 3 runs a week but no track. Includes UKA membership.
  • What's the £93 for HTF?

Mine is also £20 including UK Athletics.  We have a noo track so pay £2 for that session.

• Hi Cinders

2 track-nights, or you can choose to road run that night instead.  UKA membership and I think thats it. Unless the couple of times I have been, I missed the rub down  with a hunky male physio clothed in a loin clothimage

• Now if you did get that for £93 I'd join! image  If not then I'd consider the other club.
  • £10 a year for me.well worth,,,,,,,,,can't think of any other sporting club that would come near that priceimage
  • £15 two midweek  training sessions one a long run the other speed work and a long run on sunday and becouse of the london marathon a hill session has just started on saturday
  • £40 a year  which £30 goes to the tennis/squash club for use of facilities, bar, showers, and all that. Our club is affiliated to uk athletics. Two training sessions a week, Tuesday and Thursday.

A bargain- yes  we also get race entry £2 cheaper as we are an affiliated club. and entry in  a draw for a london marathon place each year.

• I used to be in the Red Herring Road Runners in Wallasey: £5 a year, or sometimes free - yes, really!  Affiliated but minimalist and finally folded due to low membership.

Now in Northern Vets but purely for convenience (yes, the lower fee for races) - I run early mornings 'cos I often work evening and would get to training.   

• £10 a year.  We are UK athletics affiliated.  We run Mon, Wed, (Main session) Fri and Sundays.  We pay the Cricket club we meet at individually if we wish to get a membership to use the changing,  showers and bar.  Some members do some don't.  We meet at the local leisure centre one night a month.  Bargain. 

• oops no track.  Only use it once a year for Mile time trial and club pays.  They pay for us to do the NEHL Cross country.  Which is 6 races me thinks...... 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    £40 per year (no track) or £2 per session. Probably quite a lot but there're all rich Southerners!
  • £12 and we're UK Athletics Affiliated.  No track but we can join another local club's track sessions for £1.  £93 seems huge to me.  Are there no other club options in your area?

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

£37 per year (inc UKA affiliation) based in a local council leisure centre so good changing facilities/parking, on the edge of a country park

Football field is marked out as track, as a bonus we also have a micro brewery/pub next door....BLISS

• £10, with free sausage and chips at the monthly pub social.
  • £93 I can't get over that, haven't they heard of the recession.

I'd move!  But then a big part of the reason I started running is that I thought it would be free after buying trainers and a bra.  Little did I know image kit, race entries, winter kit, summer kit, gait analysis, travel to races and club, oh and did I mention the addiction to buying kit.  RW mag subscription, books, gadgets the list goes on! image

• £25 family membership and we are also affliated BTA. 

We meet 5 times a week.

Monday  - 5-6 miles

Tues - 5-6 for those that can't make Monday or have raced or done a long run on Sunday

Wed  - Swim

Thur - Effort

Fri - Day off

Sat - Bike

Sun  - Long Run

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    £15 pa including EA affiliation. Two club nights. XC races paid for, free bus to London Marathon for members & immediate family, free membership for juniors/students, annual social bbq free, awards night (disco & grub) subsidised, LM ballot. Based at a tennis club and you can pay them for social membership to use showers and bar (toilets for free!). Track training if/when is at a local track where you pay them.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

£10 per year.  The club is affiliated, personal affiliation is extra (none of our members is personally affiliated at the moment).

Two week-night sessions and long runs on Sundays.  No track, but we do off road sessions when weather/light permits.

We do lots of social things too, and also trips to races both in the UK and abroad.

• £17 a year inc. EA affilliation

£21 for the use of the Leisure Centre

Most things  we do are free or subsidsed by the club

Track session £1.50 use track, coaching free

we did a run down to Poole to see the Fireworks soup and sarnies minibus back everyone paid £2 each towards minibus.

We did RNR couple of years ago people paid £25 towards entry and Fuel etc club picks up the rest

£93 a bit steep what do you get for your money and does everyone benefit?

We run a 100 club it costs £4 a month but you stand the chance of winning £££££'s in prizes  everymonth TBH I pretty much cover my costs last year with 100 club and what I saved with EA membership £2 a time

• £20 a year including affiliation. A potential 6 training sessions a week (in 3 different towns). No track but we do special sessions for beginners, cross country training during the winter etc.
  • £20 pa & numerous races/socials/topnotch 1/4ly newsletter organised 
  • So its not just me then that thinks £93.00 is expensive.  I paid £158.00 last year for a family membership and it wasnt much more to do that then just have the two kids on.

Feel like asking now, why we are so expensive.  Im assuming we get a grant from the council, but it is our own track, so maybe thats it.  Dont really want my own track for that money though.

I am a slow runner, but  still fancy joining a club.  On the back of the responses here I might just drop the other club an email.

Many thanks for all the replies, you all obviously have clubs run by people who should  be talking to Gordon Brown.  My people probably work for the Royal Bank of Scotland! 

• I used to work there.........but I escaped!!!