Options

Wednesday 4th March 2009

# it has to be changed every 15 minutes
# But style is something versatile, it's in the way you move, in the way you smile

What: 15 miles, faster side od steady for 12 and then the handbrake on and jog home
Why: semi-long with a bit of effort, but careful not too hard
Last hard: sunday
Last  rest: yesterday
Lyrics: Scoff knows

Happy birthday small Blister. Hmm, homemade chocolate mousse...

Comments

• Options

Morning all; tempted to invade Blisterville for choc, choc & more choc.  Birthday wishes!

What:  Gym session this evening
    Why:  Non-running day in the recovery plan
    Last hard:  Sometime in Autumn 2008
    Last rest:  2 days

No adverse reaction from yesterday's 2-miler.  Good thing I'm running to a plan as I really feel like doing a proper run!

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Happy birthday to Blisters jr-ette. Ready for the Harry Enfield sketches?

AF - slowly slowly....

NZC - sounds like great fun!

Turns out I have a mild chest infection. Doc said it's on the way out and should be cleared in the next couple of days, so no need for antibiotics, and as I ran a HM with it I'm ok to keep running as long as I ease off the effort (which I have been doing anyway) if it plays up. Will have a follow-up tomorrow to make sure it's heading the right way. Mrs TT has actually got a chest infection too, but much worse. It is a fallout from the dose of flu she had last week, so presumably my flu jab meant I got off lighter all round.......

What: 5m rec d&d / 5-6m easy lunchtime / track session this evening*
    Why: Wednesday
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 21/02
    Lyrics: Nope

* - a 2nd claim at the club is hoping for sub 2:30 in his mara debut (at the age of 46 - he's got serious quality), so we're going to be doing a few sessions together over the coming weeks. His thinking for this evening was 10 x 1m reps @ 5:30-5:40m/m with rest adding up to 7mins per cycle (I'll jog, he likes to stretch). For somebody used to repping solo it will be a pleasant change image I'm also happy that even if the reps drift to 5:40m/m that with the mileage I'm doing the effort required will still be ~PMP anyway, so it's win-win. The intention is to add a few reps to this over the coming weeks. Should be interesting and hopefully start to make up some of the deficit from where I am to where I want to be.

Have a good day all.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

TT that will be a serious session

Swapping my session around a bit this week, will hopeffully do the club run tonight as car is in garage, so working from home, but jnr is at home too so unlikely to get out till club tonight. Then do my key progressive run tomorrow.

Take care all

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: nothing AM
    3.3 miles RUNNING lunchtime
    nothing PM
    Why: OCD stupidity
    Last hard: accepting I am still not at 100%
    Last rest: this morning
    Lyrics: no
  • Options

Hi All

What: 10 miles AM with fellow Comrade, we finished as dawn broke. 4.5 miles on tready at lunchtime all d & d
    Why: a fine question
    Last Hard; Monday
    Last rest: thursday

I have the Duchy Marathon in Redruth on Sunday, whilst I have no intention of racing it the advance forecast of 6C, 20 knot winds, & rain is making me reconsider my packing list!

TT: get well soon, I can't sprint a mile at that pace
    40Mins: Enjoy the long road back

Yesterdays Lyrics: Bend it. Dave,Dee, Dozy, Beeky, Mitch & Titch. You have to be old to know that one.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

TT - Take care (i'm sure you will) Hope Mrs TT is feeling better soon.
    Great you have a fast guy to train with that is serious running. Is your clubmate doing FLM?

DD - I knew the group (after the clue) but thats it. Blame my dad for that one

What: 3.16 miles
    Why: Calf test
    Last Hard: Beginning of February sometime
    Lyrics: Nope

Physio said i could try a little run today see how it goes but to stop at any discomfort. All went well, could feel a slight tingle so i would say 90-95% ok. Was great to be properly running. Easier day tomorrow ie. 1 mile run and some Rowing
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Hi All

Thanks for all the welcome backs yesterday.

TT/Blisters - we are in full-on Kevin the teenager mode at the moment. Frustrating, infuriating, upsetting , annoying, galling. I just have to keep on reminding myself that I was very similar at that age.

AF - Easy to get me and Wardi muddled up. Just remember that I am the younger, good looking one - although he does have more hair than me.

Very wet cycle home yesterday, cold but bright heer today.

What: 2km swim
    Why: base building for IM
    Last Hard: trying not to drip on Mrs Podro's nice clean floor last night.

• Options

Afternoon all,

Thank you for the anniversary greetings. Nursing a sore head today.

Thought I was fine after my trail/x country run the other day but woke up to stiff legs this morning, delayed reaction.

What - Steady 3-4 miles tonight

Why - Hangover cure and keeping the legs going

Welcome back Podro

TT - Hope both of you get better soon

SS

• Options

TT: That really is some serious session, even the pastel version. Hope the chest lurgy goes soon.
    Podro: I was never a teenager. If I was it was so long ago I've forgotten.
    Dubai Dave: quality sessions.
    Me: it will be a late booking slot again I fear.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Pammie - yep, he's debuting at London. It should be interesting. He is an ex-elite triathlete/duathlete (ranked 2nd in the world at his best), world masters 10km champ, etc. It will be good just to say how somebody of that calibre (even though he says himself he is well past his best) approaches things.

Blisters - pastel version?

Slight change to today's plan - work got in the way of the planned lunchtime run, so that's out the window. Probably for the best with this evening's run.

Re: this evening's run, I'm not particularly worried by it. I ran 7m on track at 5:40m/m on Friday (had to stop to use the inhaler after the chest got the better of me, but followed up with 3m a bit slower to round out the 10), so comparatively, 10 x 1m with a rest should be quite manageable - as long as I can keep the chest/tummy problems in check (which I am a little worried about). Still, time will tell image

• Options
    TT, FWIW I think my coach (big guru) would suggest that the progression from 10x 1ml  @ MP would be to something like  7 x 1.5 > 5 x 2  > 3 x 3.5, rather than, or perhaps before, increasing the overall distance
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Wasn't wet enough yesterday was it???

raining at the club moved to the local streets as grass all flooded.
    7x800m (approx) with 1min recovs. Soaked to the skin, but great running weather!
    Today was 6 miles along by the river , very easy , gentle run.
    My saturday running pal (who was down to do London marathon) texted me with the glum news that he may have a stress fracture in the foot. I have every sympathy, hes been throwing out the miles for fun recently and has been banging out pbs with regularity. X-ray result next week will either confirm or deny.

Have a great day

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

TmR - I'd actually agree with you/your coach. Progression is something we will hopefully get to discuss this evening, but my preference would be to increase the length of the reps to improve strength that way. My clubmate being from a primarily 10k background is, I would guess, quite happy with 1m being a long rep, but he's got raw speed. In my case I think my strength is my strength, as it were.
    As an aside, my Friday track sessions will continue to be 10m continuous as per last Friday, but I will look to progress by moving up the number of miles done at a pace, before looking to increase the pace, and then finally the distance - i.e. last Friday was 10m w 7m @ 5:40, 3m @ just under 6m/m. Tummy/chest being ok, I will look for 8-9 @ ~5:40m/m this Friday, with 1-2 @ ~6m/m, and then the following week the full 10, then maybe 5s per mile quicker and so on. The aim is to be running the 10m smoothly about 5-10s per mile inside PMP. Tough ask, but it worked well for me last autumn.

• Options

Afternoon folks.

Had a quick read back over the last week, and far too many performances to comment upon individually. So well done to all. Also, good to see some new and returning faces back on here.

Despite a mixed bag of weather in Cyprus, managed to have a pretty good week of training...

Wed: 12.5 miles inc 8 miles @ MP (6.03 ave)
    Thurs: am - 5.5 miles easy, pm - 8.5 miles steady plus circuits
    Fri: 9 miles steady
    Sat: 21 miles inc 5 miles @ MP (6.01 ave)...total run time 2hrs 21mins
    Sun: am - 5 miles easy, pm - 7 miles steady
    Mon: am - 5 miles easy, pm - track session (1600/1200/800/400/800/1200/1600 @ 5k pace with 90secs recoveries)
    Tue: am - 4 miles easy, pm - 6.5 miles progressive (7.00 pace to start, 5.50 pace to finish)

Think the MP sections on Wednesday and Saturday were a wee bit optimistic, but felt quite comfortable, so went with the flow.

Also, Monday's track session was a bizarre experience...ran the first 1600 in 5.27 and thought, "Oof, that was a bit tough! The week's training must have knackered my legs." Carried on, with the times for the 1200 and the 800 being equally uninspiring. Finally, ran the 400 in 78.4 and thought to myself, "There's something amiss here!" Decided to ask a couple of locals who were doing strides etc on the infield what the script was...turns out the track was 417 metres! It was only then I noticed that there were no markings around the track other than a 100m start line and a finish line! Why on Earth would you lay an eight lane tartan track in a brand new football stadium and make it 417 metres long? And put in jumping pits, a steeplechase water jump, pole vault facilities i.e. everything else you need in a proper athletics facility? Makes no sense at all! But anyway, ran the rest of my session as planned and after converting my rep times to those which would have been applicable to a 400 metre track, I was a bit happier with how I ran!!!

Back to the old routine today, with tights, hat and gloves donned...

What: lunchtime - 5.4 easy miles d&d, pm - club track session (800 / 2 x 600 / 4 x 400 / 2 x 600 / 800 @3-5k pace with 1min recs)
    Why: why not?

Have a great day.

• Options

Afternoon,

Just popping in - frantic day at work, but you have to get your priorities right, so I did sneak out for an hour and a bit for a run.

What: 7M exactly in 54 mins exactly.
    Why: not quite sure - was supposed to take at least an hour - think pressure of work and the need to be back at my desk made me run more quickly than I meant to.
    Last hard: probably just now, but officially yesterday
    Last rest: Thursday

Whisky tasting this evening.  Headache scheduled for tomorrow morning!

• Options

Afternoon all,

Podro:  Sorry for confusing you with Wardi; I can only blame lack of training for loosing my mental focus.  Everybody has more hair than me.

Blisters:  Happy Birthday to Jnr.  I'll pass on the chocolate mousse as I'm reaching tub of lard status.

MikeS:  Well done to Jnr on passing the 11+

TT:  Aaaargh!  Another V45 rival!  What with the injuries, it's enough to make me hang up my running shoes until I get to V50-hood.

• What:  11m.  Some painfull application of the poystryrene roller and liberal dosings of Ibuprofen and frozen peas moved me back into the discomfort region of the pain continuum. 
    • Why:  I just couldn't say no.
    • Last Hard:  Life without running
    • Last Rest:  Last Saturday

Have a good one!

• Options

What: 6 and a bit easy ish

Why: Miles

Lyrics: Yep. Makes a nice switch to the senses to hear these again image

I don't know how I managed it, but even with quite a large amount of walking breaks I've just run my fastest over 6 miles in over a year. Things seem to be looking up! image

Have a good day all

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

evening all.

I've managed to let the thread get away from me again!   I gather Sunday was a busy day -  apologies for the group well dones but... well done all.

TT sorry to hear you and Mrs are not well.  Take care.

Good to see some bench folk are getting back out there again.

As for me:

1.7 miles on Monday
    4.something harder than it should have been yesterday and
    4.7 easy today

I'm really tired right now - a combination of lack of sleep and just over 16 days without a rest day.  The lack of sleep isn't connected - there just aren't enough hours in the day!  Much as I want to get back to where I was before my lurgy I just must be patient.  I've got a long weekend this weekend as I'm under orders from my manager to use my holiday or lose it so I thought I'd better use it.  

Have a good evening all.

• Options

You're a really great Dad Blistersimage

Tipp Top - enjoy having a running partner - try not to run each other into the groundimage

Scobos - your week looks wonderful, your training always looks so well-balanced.

SGQ - I think you are just getting faster!

AF - now that's a big run!

What: 6 miles easy - flat - with mates - left leg still a bit of a worry.

Good running everyone.

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Good Evening All

What: 5.5 miles lunchtime run
    Why: Schedule
    Last Hard: Today
    Last rest: Tuesday
    Lyrics: nope

Ran at luchtime with a colleague from work - he's a bit faster than me.  Ran with him around one of my usual courses hanging for dear life and ended up running it over 4 minutes faster than my previous best (which was achieved running on my own).  Just goes to show that sometimes you can kid yourself that you're training hard but you're not really pushing yourself has hard as you think...  My legs are aching already so I'll really pay for this tomorrow!

SD

• Options

make the most of it mava - extra sleep time and extra run time too image

happy bday to blister jnr - i expect there won't be much choc mousse left by now

40 mins - great to see you up and running, achilles is just a pest to get right so well done you on getting on top of it. now on to the goal - have you got a race on the horizon for it or waiting till you feel you're properly ready?

mike - is that your old shool that jnr is going to then? used to be the turning point on my 10 miler

TT - amazing stuff you get through and with an onslaught of lurgies. going to seem a whole heap easier when you get a bug free spell, hopefully coming along any time now !

DD - i didn't get it but i do remember it, think dave dee died quite recently, i saw his obit. he really di crack the whip in xanadu

pammie - sounds promsing. you've been patient and deserve it

pooh and double pooh for dustin's training mate. does he think there's a chance it might not be sf ?

scobos - at least their athletes will find it easier when they come to run the real thing! or maybe it was just a bad joke

SGQ - mm whisky. i do like a drop of malt though too much and i fall asleep or fall over, whichever comes first

AF - have you gone veggie then? frozen peas on toast, frozen pea omlette... 

SD - i think training with someone slightly faster than you is a great way to get some improvement. just don't do too much too quickly

rest day for me today. think a weekly rest is best for me and my dodgy bits and heppy to have got a whole week done without any mishaps image

• Options

TT, I was horrified when coach expected 4ml reps at MP, but now I feel that it is quite manageable when I not too tired and the weather is OK, so my training so far seems to be working well.   I'm not sure what coach plans next, whether faster or longer, but from my past experience I need to be a bit careful not to get into overtraining mode, but also that if I can do 4 ml at that pace on tired legs I can actually race the marathon faster; if I could do 10ml without recoveries I'd be very confident of racing faster.

Scobos, sounds like a great week's training. Good that you did discover the length of the track and didn't go the whole week thinking you were running slow

What:  15ml on very tired legs
    Why: keeping up the miles
    Last rest: 20 days - a long time for me
    Next rest: tomorrow.  I feel I deserve it and I'm actually looking forward to getting the energy back into my legs (and going off to Cruftsimage)

• Options

Scobos
    Where is this 417m track?

clink
    Cheddar half marathon in November, London 2010 are the targets.
    If recovery goes well I may try my hand at a few Summer 5Ks to see how much speed I've lost!
    What targets have you in mind?

• Options

Evening all,

Disappointed tonight as I didn't go for my planned run, I was shattered after I came home from work, decided to have tea and that was it. Early night and I might feel better tomorrow and will fo my planned run then!!

SS

• Options

Evening all, lots of good sessions recorded for the last few days, I'm almost jealous!

Made an important decision this afternoon when i went to the gym; I've not been going for the last couple of weeks since the weather (had!) improved and couldn't really see the point of wasting my money each month when we were talking about holidays last night. I've decided to suspend the membership from the end of March until about October, or when it gets a bit (too) cold for me for running/biking outside.

What: gym session and a yawnsome 7.2M in an hour on the treadie then stretches
    Why: see above and wanted a run
    Last hard: Saturday's 10M

Just made two batches of fudge this evening in preparation for taking it in to work tomorrow - yep, it's birthday time again!! 432 months old tomorrow image and averaging 22M a week!

SS - don't worry about missing a run, just think how much stronger you'll feel for having that rest!

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Guess who didn't make the start of the session??? I was warming up around the park before going in to meet them on track when my foot slipped as I was planting on grass. Instant sharp pain at the inside back of my left knee (think it's the medial collateral ligament). Cut short the warm-up and tried to walk it off/give it a rub, but nothing doing. I got home to find the area is already bruised, which I'm guessing cannot be a good sign? Aspirin and deep freeze currently on the go........ On the bright side, at least I get a lie-in tomorrow.......
    Will see how it is tomorrow, but I remain hopeful that because I stopped straight away rather than trying to run through it it may turn out to be nothing more a (painful) tweak that will be ok in a day or two......

Getting annoyed with these constat interruptions now image

• Options

Evening all,

Blisters: happy birthday to jnr, hope you helped out with the chocolate!

FL: happy birthday for tomorrow

What: 6.5 easy
    Why: Why not

• Options
    TT: xpost, hope it isn't as bad as you fear and you have a swift recovery
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

What: 20 mins slightly faster than steady just before dark in lovely surroundings (Clink, have you run in Sunbank woods?).
    Why: running in daylight on way to physio re neck, which isn't getting better very quickly, unfortunately.
    LAst hard: 28 Feb
    Last Rest: 24 Dec
    Lyrics: nope.

TMR: are you coached by BB?

TT: hope that you don't have another interruption to your training.

FL: happy birthday youngster.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

evening

happy birthdays to forumites and offspring thereof for today and tomorrow....

Clink - yep that's the school

TT - fingers crossed; sounds like you did the right thing. For no scientific reason I can think of, I've always thought it a good thing if any bruising comes out quickly.

40 - keep going, looking forward to seeing the mileage posted increase

what: 6.4 at mainly bimbling pace at lunchtime, d&d in 47:47, mean HR 141
    why: yet again it seems llike a cold bug is trying to get a grip, also, felt tired having been called by work (once more) for a 2 hour job just after dozing off ~midnight

the one consolation was getting to work from home today, and being able to get out for a run in the sunshine, even if it was cold. OK, that's two. Have just been dozing for a good hour this evening, still hoping to keep the lurgies at bay.