Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• yeti..... you were sat close to me outside the pub, i was on the table where my mate smashed the bottle, i did not relise who you were until i saw your name on your back as you went into the pub, but i did not see you again
  • Booster wrote (see)

You peeps looking for another half before too long could do a lot worse than the Wolverhampton one on 6 September. Challenging in bits but quite quick. Save a couple of quid if you enter before August 2nd.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=49327 

Unfortunately, it's the week before thr Robin Hood Mara, which is why I'm contemplating the Lichfield 10k that day instead image

There's a half in the 'Robin Hood Festival of Running' as well, and while I've not done the Wolvo one, I know it's a nice course in Nottingham (sorry Hamsters), the second half of the mara does get a bit tedious though.

• well apart from having a terrible run personally - it was still a great run and cant fault it at all... everything about it was quality...

so, untill next year.....

buck.

p.s. nice to have met you chris sorry didnt catch up in the p&p but the kids were getting to grumpy so we headed home after i showered...

• I did the Nottingham half last year - very enjoyable, nice course, great crowd support all along the route. image
  • Morning all - not been on here as enjoying drinking and eating and sunshire post race.

What a fantastic day - yet again organisation great and enjoyed meeting some of you.

I loved the set up at the start, really chilled.

HATED the tunnel, could not see a thing and I managed to hold up a load of people (as per last year). 

Gutted with time 2.00.27, really wanted to get under 2, but was 5 mins faster than last year (so should be happy really).

Also did not get a finish line picture.

Though the first five miles were hard, really pushed dmyself, so did slow towards the end, but the last mile was a lovely surprise as it just went so quick, was really surprised to turn the courner and birmingham was looming large.

Hopefully see you guys at some event soon.

• Hovis I think I sat 3 feet to your left outside the pub, if it was and elderly chap who dropped bottle ???

Yeti, here you go, throw some random item at me next to you see my ugly mug http://www.stuweb.co.uk/swp/default.asp?a=12&fldphotocode=2009-07-04-DSC03458.jpg

Dont know about you lot but I am still tired and sore !!!!!!

• I've had particularly bad DOMS after this race - worse than when I ran the much hillier Humber Bridge HM a minute quicker on a hot day a month ago.  I put it down to 2 factors:-

1.  Long relentless stretches of flat towpath means you're battering the same muscles step after step, as there are no slight gradations to help you alter your form.

2.  When there is a change from the flat, it is in the form of short sharp climbs and drops which really take it out of muscles that don't normally get used. 

Does that make sense? A course that gently undulates consistently will cause less damage than a very flat course with short sharp bits,

• What a great day!!

Great to see so many people and miss so many more - Hips sorry didnt even know you were running! The P & P was a great way to unwind afterwards. I think we found another great way of easing the muscles after the race and the beers - running up and down the escalators in Brum new street the wrong way - Opps - Must have been one too may free beers image

Roadkill what was my result on the results according to RK? Bib 204 - was a crap time of 2.12 but got a knackered knee so just took it slow and steady.
  • Barnsley, yep that makes sense but I have not got a clue what DOMS means image.

• Hi all,

What a great first half marathon! The venue was nice and especially the arrival! What a beautiful city, Birmingham... I just didn't enjoy the tunnel and didn't expect that there would be so many "uphills" but I must say that it was a very good race!!

Personally I felt strong and confident, however I was scarred not to be able to finish so I decided to save energy for the end and finally according to me I haven't pushed myself hard enough... If I had, maybe I wouldn't have finished at all...

No regreats I did it in 1.52 and this is now my PB!!! I'll break it next year!!!!

Just feel sorry not to have been to the right Pub... I couldn't remember the name of the right one so I didn't join all of you guys! It would have been really nice to meet you!

See you next year then,

Sonja
  • Sonja,

Glad you had a good experience. I think we all think what if I had pushed a tiny bit harder image. See you next year

• Barnsley.......Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, curosity got the better of me and found it on the net.
  • great time sonja, i loved the tunnel, i think i held somone up a bit, (sorry) my mate also said someone tied to over take him in the tunnel. but he told him to back off lol,

might do glouster next month

• Thank you Chris M, thank you h0vis!!!

I think I would have also got mad if someone tried to approach me in the tunnel... It was just slippery, dark.... scarry!!!!

But in general I think that everybody was really polite and fairplay!!!! At least with me! image

• morning all

interesting theory on DOMs BR - makes sense. I'm feeling fine today, a nice little recovery run yesterday has worked wonders

next for me is Lichfield 10k, then, not sure, possibly Robin Hood

I'm sure I'll "see" some of you guys on some future threads image

• Tough Guy and Race the Train for me next - anyone else mad enough to join me?
  • I'd like to Race the Train one day, just not this year! Next race @ Rowheath on Thurs, providing my legs stop aching by then. Hamstrings, which is unusual image

Barnsley - well done you (and for keeping yourself quiet too image )  What you say about the nature of the course and impact on the body does make sense to me - or at least I'm using that as my excuse!!

• Yeti, this may be the last year they do it supposedly.
  • Yeti - totally agree !

All that twisting and turning at the gates and across bridges as well.

Its the running down the steep bridges that kills me, don't mind the steep uphill bit (weird).

Not really aching which is a miracle as I just stopped running at the finish line and did no stretching what so ever - naughty I know.

Cant decide what to do next, will give it a week and then see what I fancy image

• Kaks, come along Thurs night for the Rowheath 5k!!

• Yeti - you never know I might just make an appearance.

Q - After being passed by loads of people in running vests I was again thinking about joining a club, but I just dont know if I could get there all the time i.e. now I run when I feel like it but to run at set times each weeks is something that I think I would struggle with.

But I have stagnated somewhat so perhaps I need a club to get my speed up  ?

• Kaks - why not try a couple of clubs to see how you get on? most seem to be happy for new members to just come along for a few weeks - I think I went about 4 times before joining up.  I don't go to all sessions - started off only going to the Monday night steady runs, and even then not every week. Now I tend to go to the Thursday reps sessions more often than the Mondays.
  • Kaks, I dont even turn up for any of our club sessions (well perhaps once a year), just the races.
  • Hi, I am the poor, weakened runner floundering on the floor mentioned above and just wanted  to let everyone know I was OK. I would really like to say thank you to everyone who stopped to check if I was OK and  those who have mentioned me above.  But especially I would like to thank jbelly77 who was kind enough to give me jelly beans and show real concern.  I hope that you managed without them(!), I was fine after getting them down me and walked/jogged the remainder of the way. I really appreciated it, and am glad of this chance to say so.  Also thanks to the chap who chatted with me at the finish to see if I was ok, sorry to not have been more receptive, I was concentrating on standing up to be honest! People not in the race also had a word with me, which was really nice.

It took me 2.16 in the end, I really found the weather a bit too much and hadn't run in a race before so got "caught up in the moment" and didn't hold-off when it warmed up.  Nevermind, if it doesn't kill you...etc etc

Thanks again, I was genuinely touched by peoples kindness. Cheers

• Yeti - thanks for that, food for thought image

HTA - LOL !  how do you stay so fast then.  Is it just beacause you do so many events ? 

• Stewby - I didn't see you at the race, but heard from the guys on here, and I think you'll find most runners will be concerned to hear of someone suffering.  Glad to hear you're OK, and now have an experience to learn from and improve upon!  All the best image
  • Chris M wrote (see)

Dont know about you lot but I am still tired and sore !!!!!!

Absolutely - falling asleep at my desk this afternoon!image

Those bridges were something else - some of the downs were steep, felt my knee go slightly around mile 4 - absolute killers towards the end - like your theories BR - makes me feel a whole lot better

• Hi LJB1 - I know where your coming from, really felt it at mile five (felt more like 2 miles between the markers), had to slow up a little then it became more comfortable.

I forgot to start my stopwatch as well - so had no idea of time at the end, had to wait until Sunday image

Going to the Gym tonight to try and get back on track and hopefully will be back to normal.

• KAKS, definately join a club, I dont stick to attending every week like I should do but the advice you can get and sometimes just the company while running is nice, new routes too etc etc. Join girl join image