Options

Overweight beginner

Comments

• Options
    I've lost 1 and a half stone since Christmas still got a bit to go. I followed the Slimming World diet which is great fo runners as you get to eat loads of pasta, rice and baked spuds etc. I've entered the Great North run and thought that will give me the inspiration to keep losing. I'm a bit of a plodder but love running. It's the best exercise for weight loss.I've had the same problem with the gear, big people are not allowed to look good when running. I go out in my aldi jacket and tights. Cotton isn't the ideal fabric as it holds the moisture and gets a bit heavy. We'll need to hound the "girls run too" web site, they'll maybe help us larger ladies!
  • Options
    Hi Sally and very well done. It takes a lot of courage to take the plunge. I am a newcomer myself, nine weeks now. If you read the thread 'Share in my Success' you will see how I managed to build up from 2min run1min walk to 8.5 miles in this time.

It is possible, and good for you on setting yourself a goal of your local 5K. That is something I haven't the courage to do I'm afraid.

Best of Luck to you.

B-I-B
  • Options
    Dear Sally,

Do not worry.

Because of injury I haven't done any proper running for about 4 years and because of it have put on a lot of weight!

Soon I will start running again in my larger state!

At the end of the day you are out there, doing it, not sitting on the sofa, watching telly and thinking about doing it.

I know which one I would rather be! I always think of Rik Waller for my inspiration!

Regards,

Zandra
  • Options
    but sally has gone:(
  • Options
    All together now

"Where oh where oh where is Sally,
    Where oh where oh where is Sally,
    Where oh where oh where is Sally,
    Where can Sally be?"

(If you don't know the tune then your homework is to watch Bear in the Big Blue House on ch5)
  • Options
    Hope it wasn't the mention of Rik Waller that scared her away???!!!

Zandra
  • Options
    she hasnt posted for a year
    i do feel sad about the lost runners

tortoise

NUTTER:))))))))))
  • Options
    Yes, I did notice Sally had gone but she's kept us going for a wee while.
    Let me know if you find any decent gear for the larger, lady runner.
  • Options
    Hellooo - I'm back - yes its Sally. Sorry about not getting in touch before but I have been busy running!!!
    Just to up date you all - I still run and I have stayed with my running group - and I go twice a week (just to annoy them all!) I have lost approx 2 stone and I have also lost about 4 inches off my flabby bits (I still have a few left alas!) I can run for an hour without stopping and, last week I was NOT the last person back on our jog (don't faint!) I have entered myself in the RFL 4th July and I am hoping to do something in September as well (if I can get a jogging partner). So, I have not disappeared yet and I feel great. I say to anyone out there - do it and enjoy it. I am still not into my sexy small shorts yet but I can dream. Cheers! Sally
    PS - Rik Waller is the reason why I run!!!
  • Options
    Oooooooooh
    fandabbidozi!
    i so hate it when new peeps disappear
    get postig on here lass, weve missed ya
  • Options
    Fantastic!

Sounds like you're doing fantastically!

:o)
  • Options
    Glad you've returned, you're doing really well with the running and the smaller you. Sounds as if you're enjoying life.
  • Options
    Ages ago I found a website called Irongirl or something like that and it had great running gear in bigger sizes.
  • Options
    That sounds like a handy site.. I'm still between a 16-20 depending on where I shop. Proper sports wear, don't really go up to my size locally.
  • Options
    flowersports.com The company seem to have changed name. Only seem to be able to find an american website for them but their clothes do look lovely! Think I might just have to have a splurge! Hmmm, is it sunny enough for shorts I wonder! Is the world ready for my legs!

scurrying off to find some false tan.....
  • Options
    ooo will look
    View from, at M and S arent bad
  • Options
    I guess they'd work out a lot cheaper because they wouldn't have internationnal postage and package too.
  • Options
    i'm sooooo pleased i found this thread. Can we start a new thread for larger lady runners. Seems there are a few of us. We could have kerry as our figure head.
  • Options
    :D thats a great idea Marion.. maybe an unofficial running club one?

I'd be up for that!

It's nice to know not everyone is slim in the world of running, I really thought my size would stop me running more than a mile. Ok i'm only up to 3 but that is in 6 weeks ! :D

I'll have a look at that site sounds cool.
  • Options
    ok so somebody tell me how i might go about setting up a thread?!!?!?!? duh?

i'm off to try......... watch this space!
  • Options
    i have set up a thread, in the unofficial running club.

see you there!

• Options
    Well done Sally,

Rik Waller was also the reason I used to make myself get out and run.

Currently watching The Fit Farm on Ch4, now what is all that about???

Kepp going Sally and keep looking at what you have acheived over the last year!

Well done girl,

Regards,

Zandra
  • Options
    HI everyone. I'm glad I've found this forum. I have been conned into running the Silverstone Half Marathon next year and I am finding the training side really hard.

I am a big girl at size 22 and would love to get back down to a size 18 and I thought this would be great for loosing weight. I have started my training but I am finding my legs really feel the burn in the calfes.

My partner is training and helping me to train and he's even got to the point where I want to quit, and he is shouting profanities at me just to make sure that I am finishing my training session. I still feel that my weight is still not going anywhere even though I am on the Slimfast plan.

Please help need support so I can achieve my goal.

thanks
    need help
  • Options
    come to thread, big girls run too, as gets more regular postings need help!

go to URWFRC and you will find us!
  • Options
    i wouldnt attempt to run on slimfast. i cant run if Im hungry, you need to take account of the extra energy you need to run, I think. weightwatchers is better, it gives you bonus points to account for your exercise and you still lose weight.

good luck!

A
  • Options
    Just thought I'd ressurect this thread. I'm a big girl (SIZE 24) and i would like to get back down to 14 which I was 10 years ago when I used to run three times a week.

My aim is to run a 10k next year, but my ultimate aim is to do a marathon, but I know that's a long way off yet.

Are there any overweight runners who have joined running clubs in London? I still feel too intimidated to join one, but I would really love to.
  • Options
    Hi missygolightly. I am a bit of a porker and old too (46) and just like you my aim is to run a 10k, maybe in december/jan if I can find one. I did a 5K in July. I loved it! I found someone who was going the same speed as me (ie slow but running) and stuck with her. We even chatted a bit. I'm doing another 5K in Sept. Then I'm going to try and bump up the distance. Like you, I used to be a much smaller size when I ran more, in my thirties. Doing it again now (I started in april) I get really out of breath at the beginng and feel like I can't do it. I'm stil waiting for it to feel easier but it never does!!
  • Options
    Hi Missgolightly and Fatgirlslim - welcome to the web! I started running in April last year and have lost 3 stone since then - but I am still big!! I joined a running club and I go twice a week and I plod (it ain't getting any easier!!) We cover approx 5-10 miles a week and I am trying to go out on my own which is not happening at the moment!! Keep up the good work as it is well worth it in the end - I have not only lost weight but I have shrunk in size and have muscles where I used to have flabby bits! There is still room for improvement though. Sorry that I don't live in London and can not recommend a club to you but I do what I did - turn up and do your best and, if they are a good bunch of people, you will make some new friends. Good luck. Have you also tried looking on the Forum site under "fat girls run too" - loads of larger ladies post on there with lots of help and encouragement.
  • Options
    Hi Notsofatmamma thanks for that. Well done for losing 3 stone; that's amazing. Thanks for the "fat girls run too" info - I'll try looking on there too. I don't dare join a running club at the moment. I just think I'm too slow. My local club (I live in Yorkshire) looks v serious and is into fell running mainly. I like how I feel when I run (that is, after I've got over the first 10 mins, which sometimes gives me an asthma attack) and only get self-conscious about how I look. I know I don't loko like a natural!! so I try not to think about it and focus on my breathing and how I feel