Options

Overweight beginner

13»

Comments

• Options
    I need some advice and help. I am 100lbs overweight. I would like to know the BEST way to start running. Please let me know..thanks
  • Options
    hello
    100pounds is---ok 7

right
    wel, i sugest you start with a run walk prog

Check out the beginners programmes on this site

its like a minute walk, a minute run

you might want to take it a little more slowly than the 6 weeks they suggest doesnt matter still exercise

if you feel embarassed9i still do at 3 stone over), you ould run realluy early in the morning, or start on a tready in the gym(1% incline)

what to wear

well, i wear adids leggings, which actually orrespond to rwal sizes
    BUT i wear mens large or XL tecchy t shirts

you need a proper bra, is there a bbravissimo to measure you properly?

I use shok absorbers levely 4(34f)

enelle is good

hope this helps
  • Options
    ooooh flip, forgot the most important-go to a proper runningshop(not JJB), and get them to watch you run
    you need proper shoes, and dont stint on the cost or youll hurt yourself
  • Options
    Check out this introduction article on Overweight:
    http://www.articleworld.org/Overweight

Contents
    * 1 Definition
    * 2 Measurement
    * 3 Health
    * 4 Cause
    * 5 Treatment
  • Options

Hey

Im pretty new to the Runners world site! Been accepted into the London Flora Marathon which is about 4 months after xmas!! Ive done 4 half marathons so  far but just wondered if anybody had any tips at all for the biggie in April !! Also I think a running partner would be quite good too... so if anybody fancies a bit of a run one saturday or sunday that would be really good. Im from the Nottingham area. Well Mansfield to be precise! Look forward to any replies..

• Options
    help im 16 stone just started running two days ago,  entered in 10 k race which is in 42 days just wondering if i was to ambitious cause the running seems to be really hard work at moment any advice would be grateful
  • Options

Hi All

Brand new here and I think I've been making a mistake. See, I've been reading your comments and the theme seems to be starting out with short run/walk combo's of 5 - 10 minutes.

The times I have gone out I have tried to do 20 minute run/walk combo's, been too exhausted to even think when I get in and then give up. I'm clinically obese, so it was a huge (and I think now) unrealistic challenge to do 20 minutes off the bat.

So I guess what I am trying to say is thank you for showing me that I am setting my goals way to high for begining. Hopefully now I can take a more reasonable approach and actually get somewhere.

B

• Options

When i started running about 3months ago i built my time up by running from one lamp post then walking to the next one and so on. it soon builds up and if you take a letter with you people think you are running to the post box.

• Options

Hah that's a good idea! To be honest I don't care much about what people think about me, so am not worried about being embarassed. I just find that I tend to set my goals far too high image

• Options

Glad to help that what a season running told me to do and it worked i now up to 4 miles in 10 weeks.

• Options

Let me know how the running going.image

• Options

Hi I'm new on here, 3-4 stone overweight, ex smoker, started running about 2 months but only really started getting into it in the last 3 weeks, when i started could barely run for 30 seconds, now can do nearly ten minutes, have to say though the pace is only just quicker than I walk!!!!  image

• Options

Everyone starts some where so dont worry catherine. Take your time and enjoy getting out. best of luckimage

• Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Lovin Hipps saying on page one that she is overweight and has done 2 marathons.  Skinny Hipps has now done 200, and certainly does not plod!