how to improve?

Comments

• lol I have bought a very cheap HRM that I bought an used for the first time on sunday but it only gives me basic stuff although it is ok, so I am hoping that my husband buys me one for my birthday.

Going for a run tomorrow maybe hiill work and then a long one on thursday never feel like it tho lol

Lisa

• Hi Lisa and B&T I hope your training goes well for your 10k.You say Lisa that you ran a 10k during a long steady run.How far was the run in total.I know that if I included a 10k run into one of my long runs the time would not be good.Be careful not to push yourself too much that can have a negitive affect

I hope you have fun with your Garmin B&T

jimma image

• Hi there Jimma

Last week we ran 10.5k in 1hour 15 mins and then an 8k two days later.. we didnt plan to run it all but we just did by accident really, felt ok tho, not quite sure I understand what you mean tho. Really on my plan we should have only been on 8k last week and 8.5 or 9K this week. should we not jump like this really I know it doesnt follow the 10% rule

Lisaimage

• Lisa Humphrey 4 wrote (see)

Hi there Jimma

Last week we ran 10.5k in 1hour 15 mins and then an 8k two days later.. we didnt plan to run it all but we just did by accident really, felt ok tho, not quite sure I understand what you mean tho. Really on my plan we should have only been on 8k last week and 8.5 or 9K this week. should we not jump like this really I know it doesnt follow the 10% rule

Lisaimage

Lisa,

As far as I'm aware, the 10% increase rule is to help protect yourself from injury. I would think as long as it feels okay, and you're doing plenty of stretching afterwards, and don't forget to fit in some rest days / easier runs as well image

Jimma,

As soon as I get away from the pooter I'm off to calibrate my toy image  4 mile run, I'll be trying my best to *keep* at 6 min km pace all the way !

• Hi there both

Well going out in the rain now for a short fast one I think, then a lovely well deserved lunch with my friends yummmmmm

Lisaimage

• Yum - sounds like fun! (The lunch that is!) How did the short, fast one go?

Right - my footpod is calibrated, ran my measured 2 miles to do it. Then switched to Train mode, and ran the 2 miles back. I kept an eye on my pace - it was interesting to see how it varied, between up incline & down the other side, and also how it improved when I had to run past a large group of gossiping villagers (oh the woes of living in a small village!) image

Got back home, and felt so good I ran *past* my house (totally unprecidented) just for a few more minutes, and then turned and ran back home.

Downloaded all the data (so much fun - I'm such a geek image) and found out I ran 7.5K non stop! Not sure on the timing, because I couldn't time the first 2 miles, but think it was about 54 mins.

SO - I must have managed to keep my pace down, my HR didn't go as high as it did last time, I ran further, but slower - which is what I was aiming to do.

VERY pleased with myself - and still got 3 weeks before the race!

• Oh well done fab going, we only ran about 4K today in about 25mins but that did include a huge hill which I struggled on I must say and my heart rate went over 170 so it must have been hard. Going for our long run tomorrow so about 9k I think.

I really want a garmin image must get one soon

Lisa

x

• Hi,

Sorry Lisa I misunderstood you when you said you ran 10k during a long steady run I thought you ment that you had run a long run say 15k and included a 10k run silly me.Your training seems to be going well,impressed with your 170 HR you take it easy.

T& B I also get a lot of use out of my Garmin espicially distance and time measurements with average pace for the run.I do find that the pace measured during a run does jump about a bit.Good to hear you doing some running at 6min/k but don't do all your runs at this pace do some easy runs as well.Most of your runs should be at 60-70% effort.

I can see the 60min 10k in sight.

jimma image

• oh lol not to worry, thinkin of doing a half marthon in october will see how my training goes

Lisaimage

• Go for it I am training for a half in Sept all being well

jimma image

• Have you done one before, I am not even sure I can get to that sort of distance, mind you 3 months ago didnt even think I could run all the 5k so miricles can happen

Lisa

X

• Yes have done several half marathons,once you have run a 10k its the next step.Its amazing how you can build up the long run just take it gradually and you will get there and the sense of achievement is great.

jimma image

• Jimma,

I will try to go slower - but its very hard!!! That's where the garmin comes in useful - before I used it I had NO idea what pace I was running at. Hark at me - only had it since last weekend image

Today my average speed was 6.48 min/km - I guess I need to slow it down even further!

Good luck for the half in September - whereabouts is that one?

Lisa - just looked back at the paper pinned to my wall where I've been scribbling what I've run each time. Back at the end of April, I was covering 2.9k in run 5 / walk 3. Amazing how quickly you can improve in this sport, isn't it!

• B&T running at 6.48 is this an easy,tempo or flat out run you should train at different paces,most easy so that you can put more effort into the hard sessions.

My half is in Chippenham.

jimma image

• jimma - that was supposed to be my long run - still needs to be slower, eh? I've had some advice on another thread about calculating max hr , and training according to HR - so I'll have a play with that.

Chippenham, eh? Just down the road from me! Are you local?

• Yes I would say if you are aiming for 6min/k then your slow run should be 7 to 7.15min/k or as you say run per HR I use that and it is very effective but I cannot get my max up anything like Lisa she must push herself.

Yes I live in Wiltshire but not local from NE Scocland originally.

jimma image

• Hi there

My long run pace is about 7min/k and my  hr is something like 135 - 150 depending on the terrain. Today I sprinted up a bloody steep long hill and was very uncomfortable at the top hence HR 170 but trying to tackle more hills so I did push myself today lol

I am from Pembrokeshire its the cardiff half that I am gonna train for provided I can do the Tenby 10k which is hilly

Lisaimage

• jimma,

Thank you so much for all your advise. I've just had a browse around the site, and found a very useful (and simple!) guide to training by HR). I've made a spreadsheet to calculate the various % of HR, so after I've calculated my Max HR on Friday  I can work out the rates I should be running at, and start training more sensibly from Monday.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to a newbie - it is *really* appreciated.

If I stick at it, maybe I can join you at the Chippenham HM next year!

Lisa - looks like my Hr should also be around 135 - 150 for a LSR. Roll on Monday! Well done at the hills - and enjoy Tenby - a beautiful part of the country image

• Hi,

Your long run pace looks about right Lisa,as for HR this is a very personal thing.I for some reason have a very slow HR and on a long run it will be 120.but my max is only 150 I used to think I was not working hard enough but killing myself during speed work did not bring it up any higher and so I have just accepted it.I have not run Cardiff half but have heard it is a nice flat course,I have run Bath a number of times so this year I wanted a change.

B&T spreedsheets !!!!!!  % of HR all very professional,do let us know what you get your HR up to.Seriously though training by HR does let you work at different efforts and does benefit your training I do make use of it.I will put Chippenham half in my diary for next year maybe Lisa will have completed Cardiff by then and could join us.

Keep the 10k training going.

jimmaimage

• Gah - browsing around, looking at HMs (well - I can dream, can't I!), and come across a 5k race in our nearest town. Looks great, huge range of finishing times, nice route by the river, thinking it would be good training for the 10K

GAH - the 5k is on the Wednesday, 2 days before the 10K image Don't think it would be a wise move to enter, but its a shame as it looked ideal for a first race.

Oh well - another one to chalk up for 'next year'!

(and yes - I am meant to be working - just getting very distracted!)

• Hey there

Ran 8.5k this morning in 1 hour, can do it much faster but my friend couldnt keep up but pace was 7.20 , going to do hill training on weekend that I will absolutely hate hate hate as it is uncomfortable lol. I am going to do a 5k in swansea July 14th which is a week before the 10k it is flat but fast apparently so am going to use it as a training run, think you get a free snack afterwards so I am up for anything that involves food lol.

• Woo hoo - get you!!

5k a week before the 10K sounds like good preparation - and a free snack sounds good as well (fingers crossed its something yummy rather than just healthy!!)

• we live in hope, am starving now and have already eaten scrambled egg on toast made with 3 eggs lol

Need chocolate hahah

Lisaimage

• Talk of 5k,10k half marathons everyone has got the running bug keep it up.Your confidence sounds high after your 8.5k run Lisa and confidence meens a great deal in running.Enjoy your hills this week end,as you push yourself just think how fit it will make you a 10k will be easy after hills.

B&T how do you plan to find out your max HT what ever method you use it won't be fun but at least it does not take too long,good luck.

This is my one in four easy week in my training schedule so not too much effort before an 11 mile long run next week end,

jimma image

• omg 11 miles ouch I would be hurting after that but never mind one day

Lisa image

• jimma,

Running bug definitely caught hereimage After my run yesterday I was still smiling about it hours later! 

Sounds like I might not be the same after tomorrow's run .... over on another thread I was advised to warm up well, and then do 3 mins as fast as possible, slow back down again for 3 mins to recover and then repeat. Should get Max HR in 2nd rep... apparently!

I'll just stick the HRM  on, do the above, and then either try and do some more speed work, or something very gentle to recover! If I'm knackered, I might try running at different (slower) paces to see how it feels.

Fingers crossed I survive. On my run on Monday, HR hit 193 - surely it can't go much higher than that??!!

Enjoy the end of your easy week!

Lisa - did you get your chocolate?

• Lisa Humphrey 4 wrote (see)

omg 11 miles ouch I would be hurting after that but never mind one day

Lisa image

hey - if we're talking HMs then it *will* be one day!
  • Yes will have to be lol

No resisted the chocolate but gonna have a smoothie lolly in a minute, not quite the sameimage

Lisa

• Evening all!

Hope you've had a good day today. I decided to 'quickly' measure my max HR - boy it nearly killed me! 'Only' managed to hit 192, and I hit 193 on Monday, so I take it that's my max. Just need to plug it into my spreadsheet and see what it says!

I then tried to run at a slow pace - that's nearly as hard as running fast! I need to look at the numbers later tonight (I'm such a image) preferably with a cold beer and see what I managed & how it felt. Seem to think I did managed to slow down to under 7 min/km, but it felt like I was miming running!

Will post again later ...

Lisa & Jimma - you been out today?

Anyone else on this thread, or is it just we three?

• Hello

No had a rest day today but am going out early in the morning on a fast 5k run to see if I can go quicker that 28mins, then I am going to undo all my good work by going to an alnight party then a huge fathers day lunch the next day. Might have to have a glass of wine tonight to nowonder I am still fat lol. 193 did you feel like you were going to explode???????

Slow running is wierd but you do go on forever lol

Think its only we 3

Lisaimage