how to improve?

Comments

• Max HR 193 very impressive,I take it you won't be doing much running at that effort I find it much easier to do a nice slow run rather than speed work.As this is my easy week I did a 5 mile easy run and enjoyed it nice weather and a run along the towpath I am sure my HR was nothing like yours.

I still think in min/mile what is 7 min/km

jimma image

• Hi Lisa good luck with your 5k run hope all goes well how early do you mean by early cause I am certainly not an early bird(runner)

jimma image

• Hi there

Not that early tomorrow 9am but one day a week i get up at 6am, thats really hard its the getting out of bed and out the door, once your out its ok

Lisa

xx

• Hi Lisa - yes, I did feel like my heart was going to explode at 193 - not nice. I must try togo slower - going on forever is what I need! Sounds like you have a good weekend planned - we're off to a friend's 50th tonight,then camping out in their garden so we don't have to drive home. Father's Day is easy - my Dad is going on holiday today, and DH will be happy if we let him watch the Lions test!

Did you manage to run it quicker than 28 mins?

Morning Jimma - I think 7 min/k is  11.2 min/mile. 193 is heart going fit to burst!!! At that point I collapse in a heap  - I have a feeling it means I'm very unfit (although I started running in May, so lots of time to improve!)

I'm not an early bird either - I'm still sat here in PJs and dressing gown, fussing the kids to switch the TV off and eat some breakfast!

• Hi dont eat and drink too much over the week-end remember you are athletes in training,although I must admit I will have a few beers at home tonight,you have to relax sometimes.

What was your time Lisa?

Out of interest what is your resting HR B&T I hope its not 193!!!!!!

jimma image

• Hi there

Been out and did it in 29 min giving me a pace of 5.28km/min this included a long slow hill so if on the flat I think I can improve on this but I really hate hills. I find them uncomfortable.

Gonna let it hang out the rest of the weekend now

Lisaimage

• My resting HR is 53 and during this mornings run I hit 170 on occasions but average 155

Lisa

• Lisa - 5.28 min / K is FAST (in my book) - are you sure that's right???

jimma - My resting HR is 56 (imagine if it was 193 - I'd be on the point of collapse at all times!). Had to smile at the atheletes in training - my DH declared that I was 'obsessed' with running this morning - if I tell him I'm an athelete in training he may well leave home! I know what you mean though - and hopefully I'll be dancing for a few hours tonight at friends birthday party which will help undo some of the bad stuff  image

I've just plugged my HRs into my spreadsheet, and now know what HR I should be doing each run. So Monday should be fun - I need to do my LSR between 138 & 152 BPM - hopefully I can then see what pace that is. However I'm guessing its slow!!! 

• I think I am as obsessed as you I now want a garmin that plugs into my computer to give me all the data I have a garmin 201 which I cannot download into the computer.

Fast pace Lisa thats quicker than you need to run to get under 60min for your 10k well done,with a long hill as well.

ENJOY THE WEEK-END

jimma image

• Hi there

B & T I got the pace on my cool training log which works it out for you by inputting your distance and time then it just calculates it so I think its right. We certainly felt that we were running very fast on times almost a sprint, definately running not jogging except on that bloody hill, then we had to slow right down. I dont think my 10k is going to be very quick as there are lots of hills lol. Still cant lose weight tho, I am very heavy at 5th 3 and 12.5 stone just cant shift it, its amazing that I manage to run at all

Have a good weekend all

Love Me

• Okay okay - its right - I'm just jealous!!! Slow running to burn fat apparently Lisa! (That's my excuse - i run too fast to lose any weight - doyou think anyone believes me??

Jimma - I love my garmin - such an eBay bargain and so much data to fiddle around withimage I'm becoming such a bore !!!

• I really want one to, I love all that data to look at time and time again lol. I have a cheap hrm which gives you cals burned and all of that and zones and stuff but I would love to just plug it into my computer and just download it all.

Cant go at that fast pace all the time mind just we wanted to push ourselves today so will do the same next week to see if there is any improvement

Love me

• Phew - recovered from the weekend Ithink. Great party on Saturday night - recovery nneeded not so much on amount of alcohol drank (I was very good, and remembered I was an athelete in training!), but more because we spent the night (me, DH and the 2 kids), in our 20 year old  3 man tent - it was a squeeze, but very cosy. (And I had some lovely cuddles in the morning!)

Must put the washing machine on, and then I'm off to try a LSR. Aiming for 7 m/km (think that's around 11 m/m jimma!) which is slower than I've managed to run before, but hopefully will be able to go on for longer. (Still haven't managed to run for 10K yet ... and race is 2 weeks on Friday ....... nervous???? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!)

Hope you both had a great weekend - what are you planning to run thsi week?

• I've just come across this thread and it interested me...

B&T, I wouldn't worry about not having run 10k yet - on race day all sorts of new and amazing things will happen to you.  First off, you'll be nervous - I am before every race, even though I know I've nothing to be nervous about!  Secondly, the adrenaline and race day atmosphere will get you round, you will complete the distance - no doubt about it.  Thirdly, and here's the most bizarre thing, you will run faster than you did in training!  If you're running 11min/mile in training, I'd expect you to be able to run sub 10 min miles in the race.  I can't put my finger on why this happens, but it always happens to me - I always run faster in races.

Good luck with it, I'll keep my eye on the thread, it would be nice to see how you get on.  If you want any training tips, just ask away. image

• Morning Colonel Blimp!

Nice of you to stop by our little thread! Thanks for the reassurance - having never been remotely sporty, I have never been in this situation and am getting just a little bit nervous!!! Doesn't help that the race is just a little school race, and not many have entered (apparently), and yet I know a few of the other parents are quite keen runners ....

Anyway - feeling really pleased with myself now. made it our for my LSR, kept an eye on pace all the way (which was SO difficult - really felt like I was badly miming running for the first 5k). However, tried hard to keep pace around 7 min/km, and MANAGED TO PLOD 11K IN 1:20 image Furthest ever managed before was 7.5K, but I think that was at a faster pace (pre-garmin!).

So I'm feeling much happier now that I can actually manage to get around without having to walk (my first goal). If I actually make it round any faster I'll be delighted.

SO would you recommend that I set out at this slower pace, and speed up towards the end if I'm still going okay (its 3 laps of a motor racing ciruit!), or set off at a slightly faster pace? ANY tips gratefully received!

• I'd start out at the slower pace and, depending on how you feel at halfway, increase the pace for the last half.  A negative split is always good, I think it's the best way to run a race. image
  • Hi,

Well done on running yes running a whole 10k you now know you can do it so no need to be nervous.I agree with Colonel Blimp start off easy there is nothing worse than going off too fast and having nothing left.You have the advantage of running 3 laps so you know exactly how far there is to go and so pace yourself accordingly.You managed to stay within the set HR during your run then.

I plan to introduce some intervals this week as well as my long run in preparation for my half try to build speed and endurance(difficult to do) Compared with you B&T I had a quiet week end,cant remember the last time I slept in a tent.

How about you Lisa too much food and drink over the week end then you will just have to run it off,what runs have you planned this week.

jimma image

• Speed AND endurance - sounds a difficult combination - good luck!

Just about managed to stay in my HR range - although it was going up towards the end (I was getting tired, and there was a hill!) Actually, it was funny, as I was running along, I could feel my legs getting tired & heavy, but I wasn't puffed out. Never happened before - always had to stop because I was out of breath!

Lisa - you're very quiet ....

• Not out of breath eh must be getting fitter,what other runs are planned for this week.

jimma image

• Hi there everyone

Well I had a massive weekend that ended up with me getting into my tent at 6am so its taken me until now to recover, shame really ass I havent managed to do my strengh training as planned  today so will have to get up at 6am tomorrow and do that before work. I am going to do a run on wednesday and thursday hopefully x2 10k then might go and do circuits on friday and then a fast one on saturday so thats my week ahead. Hope this is going to go according to plan. I plan my training on the active training thing on cool running so that it emails me to remind me to train, now whos the geek lol

Love

Lisaimage

• Lisa - that's a busy 4 days running & training! Glad you had a good weekend image

Nothing wrong with being a geek ...

Jimma- not sure what runs to do the rest of the week. Plan to go out on Wednesday & Friday - I'm thinking a shorter run but at faster speed, and something else?? Any suggestions???

• Lisa you take it easy dont do too much,there is no way I would be up at 6am training good on you.

A tempo run on Wed would be good B&T what have you planned.As for Fri I would do another easy run say 6-8k,remember most of your training should be done at this pace,us athletes have to look after our bodies and not push too much

Off to work now.

jimma image

• B&T, why not do a 4 mile fartlek run tomorrow and then an easy 5 - 6 miler on Friday?  Jimma's right, the easy runs are very important.
  • Hi,

Thanks jimma & Colonel Blimp - love the helpful advice from experienced runners I've found on this siteimage

This morning I'm feeling a little creaky after yesterday's exploits. Nothing major, and no injuries, just a little bit stiff and, well, creaky (but it could be my age, and it is damp this morning!) I think I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning before i decide what to run tomorrow.

jimma - the notes I've got here for a Tempo run are "1.5 miles at 60%, then 15-20 mins at exactly 85%, then 1.5 miles at 60%" - does that sound right? It would be nice to run a bit faster again - it does feel more natural, but more knackering!

Maybe if i do another run at 'easy' pace on Friday it'll start to feel more natural?

Incidentally - my DH has been, well not exactly scathing, but amused at how obsessed with running I've become. He has tried to show an interest (bless him!), but even he was impressed with my 11k when I told him last night. In fact, he mentioned the race we have in the village later on in the year, asked if it was a HM and would I be entering???! (Actually its a 10K, and depending upon when it is, yes I will be! jimma - you're closest - you interested??!!)

• Hi there

Got up at 6am and did a Davina Macoll dvd as my hubby had gone to work so couldnt run, anyway this involves a lot of squats with weights with minute intervals of areobics, is this of use to me????

Well done B & T on your growing fitness, I know that creaky feeling.

Dunno what run to do tomorrow, whether a short fast or a long slow as planning to do long and slow on thursday morning???

Lisa

x

• Hi all,

Whats this talk of creaky feeling wait to you get to my age before you talk about creaky!!!!!

How about a tempo run tomorrow Lisa along the lines that B&T is planning.That sounds reasonable but if you are not  used to running faster do not go mad.A tempo run is controlled faster running,not flat out and not struggling for breath but breathing heavy.See how it goes,it may be best to aim for 15min at between 80-85% effort (good excuse to use the HR again) but if you find that too easy then you can up it.

As for the 10k in your village B&T yes could be interested.is your DH going to run with you?

jimma image

• jimma - I may already be at your age image !!! And no - DH doesn't run (although he does enjoy cycling, but only in a very non-competitive way). At the village 10K (info here I think if I can get it to work!!) he'll be in charge of my two little cheer leaders!

• When you are all talking ages how old are we talking here, I am quite old myself lolimage

Lisa

• I will confidently say that I am the oldest but also say I may be the fastest,you give a clue B&T having two LITTLE cheer leaders.

jimma image

• I have 4 cheerleaders 2 of them are little

Lisaimage