Options

how to improve?

Comments

• Options

well .. when I say little, daughter is now up to my shoulder ..... and I did start late!!!!

Lisa - 4??!!! And you still find time to run - I'm in awe!!

Jimma - you sound pretty confident ... and I'll not argue with anyone that they're faster than me!!!!!

Any more hints????!!

• Options

Hi young ladies more hints,I have a part time job 3 days a week now because I am retired but the job I used to do you had to retire at an early age.and I retired a few years ago.Is that of any help

Guessing(I know you must be careful with the age of a lady) I would say that you were both in your early forties

Good luck with your tempo runs I look forward to hearing about them tonight,dont put tooooo much effort into it remember enjoy.

jimma image

• Options

Hi there

I am a fat 38 lol who gave up the fags and booze 10 months ago.

You must be late 50's

Lisa image

• Options

I thought you said that you were quite old Lisa,thats not quite old at all.I think you are a bit out with the age of B&T I dont think she will be late 50's or is Lisa right B&T ?????

How did the tempo run go.

jimma image

• Options

no jimma I mean you must be in your late 50's

I feel very anxious as I have missed my run today

x

• Options

Evening all!

I posted a lovely long reply earlier - but it seems to have disappeared??!!

Anyway - jimma - you are pretty much spot on - apparently I should know the meaning of life by now! Still trying to work out how old you are - and what job you had to early retire from -  armed forces? police? fire service???!!!!

Tempo run was horrible today. Had lots to do first thing, then I had to be back home waiting on a phone call from 1pm, so as soon as I got home, I got changed & got out. Only realised at that point it was mid day, and scorchingly hot. Easy part of run should have been at 138 HR - couldn't get it below 160 no matter how slow I went. Faster part of run should have been at 172 HR - mine was hitting 182 and I was going at the slow pace I did on Monday. When I went slowly again, even walking I couldn't get my HR below 150. it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO hot. I felt awful - and still had 2 k to get home. Lesson learnt about trying torun in the heat!

Lisa, jimma - did you go out today?

• Options

Hi there

I didnt go out this afternoon cause my friend had to work and felt too hot and bothered so thought I would go out this evening but then something came up in evening so couldnt go. I feel awful now cause I havent had a run since saturday so feel like I am never gonna be able to run again. All is not lost as I am going on a 10k in morning and will do something on friday and saturday to make up for this.

I must have been very hot for your HR to be misbehaving like that lol

Love

Lisa

• Options

It was baking here today. When we went out in the car at 5pm it was 24 then, so lord knows what the temp was at midday!!! Make sure you go out early tomorrow morning! I shouldn't worry about not having been out since Saturday - think how rested you'll be, and how much you'll enjoy it!

Only good thing about today's run - I was running along, and suddenly noticed a huge dragonfly flying alongside me, at exactly the same speed as I was running. It was very shiny and blue & beautiful & graceful - the exact opposite of me!

• Options

lololol I bet you looked everybit as gracefull, I will let you know how my run goes tomorrow am going out at 8.30 so should be cool

• Options

Seeing as I got badly sunburnt at kids' sports day yesterday - you can only imagine how red in the face I was with sunburn as well as exhaustion!!!

8.30 sounds a good time - enjoy! Off to bed now - this running leaves me absolutely shattered!

Night night all

• Options

Hi,

Lisa I know you ment my age late 50s just my little joke,your pretty close I was 60 last month,retired from the police(well doneB&T) 5 years ago.Dont worry about missing a run it sounds as though you will be doing lots over the next few days.

B&T out in the mid-day sun not a good idea as you found out not the best conditions to be doing tempo work but never mind just forget it and try again in cooler weather.

My run today a 7 mile easy run off road along the river bank,through woods and fields,great for a change.I will look for a dragonfly to run with for company.

All the best

jimma image

• Options

Hi there

Been for a 9k run today but bugger me it was really hard, I have a bursitis in my hip which is playing up at the mo along with really annoying cyclical hormones ( the joys of being a woman ) imagejust seemed to hamper me today which I really hate happening. We ran it in 1hr 10 but the last couple of Ks were an absolute struggle. Tell me I am normal and everyone has these blips lol.

Going to do a short run tomorrow and a speed run on saturday and will load myself up with brufenimage

Jimma that run sound like fun let us know how you got on

Love Lisa

• Options

Lisa the joys of running, for no apparent reason you can have a terrible run but then other days you feel great just try to concentrate on the good ones,yes you are normal.

jimma image

• Options

jimma - that run sounds lovely. Yesterday I decided was a 'Tempo Tantrumo' run which I will try and ignore. Mad dogs and Englishmen (and panicking 10k runners) go out inth emid day sun etc

Hooray I guessed right about the police - well done to be running so well at 60 - I'm feeling inspired & a bit pathetic at the same time!

Lisa - bursitis (just had to google it) - sounds very nasty. Hooray for ibuprofen! Well done for keeping on going, even when it was a struggle - great determination.

Should go out running tomorrow - I think the weather forecast here had the word 'torrential' in - so at least there's no danger of heat stroke this time (sigh!). presumably I should do something short, after a LSR on Monday, and a horrible 55 mins yesterday. I might do a very short 3 miler (which used to be my 'long' route when I first started out!) but has a long hill in it which I've never yet managed to run up. Maybe I'll try running up it? 

• Options

B & T go for it, I have just started managing hills mind you I am sure I could walk them faster than I run them.

I am hoping to have a better run tomorrow lol

Jimma thanks for the normal comment mind you I am sure there are times my friends and family would dispute this hee hee

Lisa

• Options

Really enjoyed my run this afternoon,7.7 miles around the countryside.No dragonflies in sight just a few cows in one of the fields for company.That was the easy day may try intervals tomorrow,1 mile warm up,4 x 800m reps with 3min recovery between each rep. 1 mile cool down.(not so easy day)

What are your plans for tomorrow,I hope your runs go better than your last outings,things can only get better.

How many weeks have you to your 10ks the time soon comes around

Have good runs tomorrow.

jimma image

• Options

5K on 14th July and 10K 26th July not long now

Hope I will be ready

Catch up tomorrow

Lisaimage

• Options

Grr - another post disappeared image

Anyway - to type it out again..

jimma - sounds like a great run today - think I would have been scared of the cows though ! Hope you managed to miss the heat this afternoon as well. Good luck with the intervals (I'm scared of them as well!)

Lisa - I'm going to do my 3m loop tomorrow - just need to decide if I should run down the lane, and then back up the field, or down the fields and back up the lane (slightly easier I think). Maybe I'll see what the weather is like tomorrow first! Hope you have a good run tomorrow - take it easy!

My 10k is 2 weeks tomorrow eeeeeeeeeek! Think next week I'll go on similar runs to this week - any recommendations for the final week? I'm guessing easy run on Monday, and then rest up until race on Friday? Is it worth a short run on Wednesday?

See you tomorrow

• Options

ugh - just about to go & get changed for my run, and the heavens have opened. Its pouring down!

dither dither..

Maybe I'll have a cup of tea and see if it clears up a bit....

• Options
    GET OUT THERE DONT BE A WHIMP
  • Options

image LOL - Are you sure you weren't in the Army??!!

Aye aye Sir (Ma'am??!!) Had just decided it was as wet as it was going to get, and maybe I'd better get out before the thunder & lightening starts!

Kick in the pants received loud & clear, lycra & HRM on - off i  go. (Thinks - should I wear a snorkel?)

• Options
    B&T, get out there and run!  What are you going to do if it's raining on race day?!
  • Options

Now you have gone I can say that I am waiting for the rain to stop!!!!!!!

Thanks for backing me up Colonel Blimp we will have these girls fit for their 10ks

Jjimma image  image  image

• Options

Damn - fell for it!!! JIMMA - GET OUT THERE AND RUN AS WELL!!!

Just got back - it was pretty wet out there! Decided to run down through the field rather than up through the mud, but I have finally conquered the hill (one way, anyway!) Ran 5.09k in 34 mins, average pace 6:44 image HR did hit 182 as i started up the hill a little too fast,but average HR was 167 which is between 80% & 85% 

So it was a good run, Colonel Blimp - I was telling myself it might be raining on race day as i splashed along! Every piece of clothing was dripping wet when I got back, got rain in my contact lenses, had goosebumps in my warm-up. but hey! Oh, and today I saw a beautiful and huge hare! Its back legs were so long I thought at first it was a litle dog. Oh to run that fast!!

Right into a hot bath with a cup of tea. I expect to hear about your run latter, jimma!!!

• Options

Hi there

I to have been out in the rain, just a very short farlek training 3K run with my friend which took 19 mins but again it was very hard for me today damn hormones, never mind still did it, lets hope it will be easier tomorrow

Love Me

• Options

LISA - help - I'm being bullied!!!!

I'm having horrible flashbacks to school PE lessons .... image

I'm heading off to your part of the world tonight (well - closer than I am now - your country I think?) Off to Brecon for the weekend with a group of friends and all our kids. Will hopefully get some walking & lots of talking done - and the kids will do lots of racing around, getting over excited and not getting much sleep!

• Options

cross posted there Lisa - well done for getting out. 3k in 19 mins sounds good to me!!

Hope you dry out quickly!

• Options

Hi there

Enjoy the weekend Brecon is a lovly part of the world, kids will enjoy. I hope you dont have to much rain, Sunday is supposed to be lovley

Lisa

• Options

Dont let them bully you lol, mind you I quite like it, I respond well to a bit of pushing, would love to do one of those 2 week boot camps

• Options

You have got the wrong idea about me,im not a bully just give gentle words of advice.Sounds as though you have a lot of determination Lisa,I hope your run is easier tomorrow.

Experience pays off,I managed to avoid the rain did my intervals,very hard session managed 4x800m at 90% effort will try to do this once a week to improve my speed for my half.

Enjoy the week-end,not too much wine.

jimma image