how to improve?

Comments

• Jimma

your words of encouragment are just what we need, I am going out again in a moment and I dont know whats happened to me this week but I really dont feel like it I hope this passes. Planning to take it easy today gonna persuade my frined to do a gentle jog then have 2 days recovery.

Ok been out now and wasnt as bad as I thought ran 6k in 35 mins and walked a further 4k hills so ok gonna rest tomorrow tho

how about you both

Lisa

• Hi,

If that is you taking it easy with a gentle jog( 6k in 35min) there is nothing wrong with your running Enjoy your rest days they will do you good.

I am rest day today then 11 mile long run tomorrow I hope its not too hot.

No doubt we will hear of some female running around the hills in Wales !!!!!!!

jimma image

• Hi there

Just back from the pub and feeling kind of skify not good for athletes lol oh dear will be sorry in the morning lol

Lisa

• Hi,

Just as well this is a rest day for you,planning my run this afternoon weather looks good should go well just an easy run keep my HT down.

jimma image

• I dont remember writing my last post thats bad isnt it. Think I will get up and do strengh training at 6am I have read a lot about the merits of strength training what do you think of it?? Is it worth it or is there something better I could be doing??

Plan for the week

Mon strength

Tues run tempo 5 -8 K dunno which yet

thursday long run 11k ( then am going to have a spa day with friends after running there with pedicure)

Saturday fast 5K

and lets hope my hip doesnt hurt

Love

Meimage

• Hi,

What were you drinking last night.

Dont have any experience of strengh training,what does it involve,maybe I could start and it would benifit me what do you think.

Thursday looks a good day for you.I would say that your 3 days of running all look hard,when is your easy day,you have a tempo(hard), a long run(hard) and a fast run(hard) Dont go over training.You do have a rest day in between each session but just be careful and dont push it too much,hopefully your body will tell you if it just cant take it.

Hope the hip is OK

JIMMA image

• I think that maybe I overdid things the week before last and then last week seemed hard maybe, might do an easier run on tuesday then will see.

My strength training involves a sort of circuit with 100skips (with rope) followed by 50 squats with weights then skip then lunges then skips then a plank helf for as long as poss, then tricep dips etc etc or sometimes I just do davina macoll dvd for 30 mins which is the same sort of thing

my hip is a little better today, problem is with it is that it doesnt hurt when I am moving about its whenn I stop then the pain comes

11 miler for you tomorrow then, how long does that take you???

Lisa

• red wine by the  way yummmm

• oh no you did your 11 miles today how was it

Lisa

• 11 miles went well thanks average HR 116 which is about 70% effort  I did it in 1hr 38min.It was supposed to be an easy run but I felt quite tired at the end,still pleased with the way it went.Another week at 11 then up to 12 miles,its all good fun this training Im sure you will agree.

Better get to bed,one of my work days tomorrow

Speak soon

jimma image

• Evening all! I'm back!

Lisa - you sounds like you've had a fun weekend image Hope you have a good week ahead as well.

Jimma - 11M - wow! I think my HR goes up to 116 when I walk. I hope it comes down as I continue running!

I've had a good weekend - went away with grooup of old friends. Lots of sunshine, kids playing in rivers, picnics, lots of catching up and a little bit of wine as well! Had a good discussion about running with a good friend who has run for years and does HMs. Would be so tempted to enter HM inSept. if I thought I could keep running over the summer holidays!

Anyway- getting ahead of myself. Should be my long run tomorrow but I've had a bit of a dodgy tummy today so I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Might just make it a short run instead.

Sleep well all  - night night!

• Good Morning

Got up to train this morning but my body feels so tired so I thought I would take Jimma advice and listen to it so am doing the ironing instead before the fairgroud of getting kids to school by 8am and then doing my 50mile journey to work oh life!!!!!!!!!

Going to run tomorrow tho by then my hip should be a lot better, sitting in the chair now and its not hurting hurayyyyyyy

Have a good day both and let me know how your runs go

B & T sounds like a perfect weekend

Lisa

• Morning Lisa - sounds like a good idea to have a rest day today. Sounds like your hip is feeling better as well! I'm tired (but only after the weekend, and then the stress of getting kids outof the door when *they* are tired as well. Son had a huge strop because I said he was having a school dinner today - pizza, which he likes (or so I thought) so I had to leave him sulking in the classroom without a goodbye. Daughter is so cool now (iho!) I didn't even get a 'goodbye' from her either as her classmates were lined up outside the classroom and I must be really embarrasing (yes - my work is done!).

Its been raining here this morning, but has just stopped and sun is starting to come out, so I'm having a quick drink then I'll get out for a run before it gets any hotter.

• Nope - mis-timed it again - was VERY hot out there already. Was supposed to be a LSR, thought I'd go along the route of tjhe village 10K, but had to cut it short as I was too hot & HR was just going up & up. So did 8.7K in 61 mins.

Quite pleased, because from about 5k I wanted to stop and wa having to tell myself it was half way and just had to keep going etc etc etc. You should hear the pep talks I give myself - jimma you'd be proud of me! I kept promising myself I'd stop just round the next corner, no I'd carry on a bit because I was sure there was a shady bit ahead, no I'd just press on a bit further because there was a downhill bit just round the next corner.... Managed to trick myself all the way home!

Done my stretches, drunk lots of water and now off for a bath because I stink!

• Well done to you its bloody murder running in the heat, I am going out at 8.30 tomorrow, not quite sure what type of run to do tomorrow, think it will be an easy one depends what my mate wants to do, am running further on thursday. Feel guilty about not exercising today I get like that a bit obsessive and feel like I have let myself down if I dont stick to my plan lol

Lisa

• yes- it was horrible. I think I preferred squelching along in the rain on Friday to melting out there again today.

Are you going 8.30 am or pm? I'm thinking if this heat carries on I might go out straight after dropping the kids at the bus stop which will be at 8.30am, and will give the bus driver a laugh. Otherewise I'll have to wait for DH to get home and go out then., Sometimes he's not home until 10pm though, which is getting a bit late!

Don't fret about not running today Lisa - I think you'll do better listening to your body rather than pushing yourself too hard and risking injuring yourself.

Jimma - how are you today? How was work?

• Hi,

I think you and I Lisa are the sensible ones not running today but well done B&T for managing to keep going a bit of determination coming in.You sound to have very hectic lives you two, i found that during my running years when I was out it did help me cope with the stresses and pressures of life so running can help you through although it can also be hard at times.

I usually run Tues evening.Thurs Fri and Sun so rest day today I hope you feel relaxed after today Lisa.

B&T what do you mean IF YOU ARE RUNNING THROUGH THE SUMMER dont you mean WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING ( yes I think I am a bully after all)

Work was ok just a part time job as a hospital porter which I enjoy 3 days a week.

jimma image

• Hi there

B & T 8.30 in the morning mind you last week it was to hot even then.

Jimma you are so right about running helping you through stresses, I certainly feel like it lifts me and notice now if I dont do it. Life is very hectic and my friends ask me how I manage to fit running in but I just make time for it, I work 3 full days a week so at least one morning a week I get up at 6am to run before the kids get up and through the summer hols I plan to do this twice a week with either 1 or 2 evenings inbetween.

Tell me both of you what sort of food do you eat cause I just cannot shift any weight and cannot see a single difference in my body which is highly unfair considering my consistant training what do I have to do??????

Meimage

• Evening all!

Jimma - I'm loving the way running gives me time to think things through, without the distraction of phones, radio, washing machine, work etc. However, at the moment I run when the kids are at school - which will be difficult over the summer holidays. I may need to be like Lisa & go out early, but with DH often coming home late, we end up eating late & going to bed late, so getting up early is HARD!!

I guess I could go out at the weekend, and see if my mum & dad will look after the kids for a day a week over the hols. I'm sure I'll get out somehow - I would hate to give up now!

Lisa - you probably don't  want to  know that I'm sitting here with aTwiz and a cup of tea..... however generally we eat quite healthily. Veggie, lots of fruit & veg and only indulge in wine at the weekend. I did read that you have to run quite slowly to actually burn fat  (when you're running aerobically) - maybe you're just going too fast? Anyway, you might think you can't see any difference, but could you run this far 1 month ago? Or 2???? And think of how healthy your heart must be now! Chin up chuck!

• P.S. jimma - yes, you & Lisa are definitely more sensible for not going out today, but race day is next friday, weather doesn't look like its going to cool down much this week, so thought I'd better get out!!
  • Good committment B&T I will make a runner of you yet,any plans made for the final week training.

Lisa I dont know what to say about food,I have been very lucky in that I have always been able to eat as much as I like and what I like and remain slim,my wife has always said it is so unfair when she has to watch everything she eats.Having said that I am sure that if you eat sensibly and continue to exercise as you are doing then I am sure you will benefit,be patient these things do take time

Are you running today,I will run this evening when I get home from work hope its a bit cooler then.

Enjoy your day

jimma image

• Morning!

Thought I'd have a short run on Wednesday and then a tempo run on Friday (I keep having to look up the definitions of these different runs!). Then go out on Monday (not sure what to do then!) and maybe leave it then until the race? (race is Friday night).

How does that sound? or would I be better just having a short run next Wednesday to keep my legs 'ticking over'?!

Hope you both have a good run today.

• Lisa,

Found another thread you might be interested in - about someone running who isn't seeing any weight loss. Some helpful replies.

HTH!

Hopefully, link here!!

• Hi there

B & T thanks for the thread, glad I am not the only one. Went out for a run at 9am and bloody hell it was hot, did a 6.5K run with quite a few hills and again struggled to the point that my fingers had started to swell by the time I had finished, I swear its hormonal water retention, please reassure me that I will be back on form later on in the week.

Looking at my training log I have run 82K this month which I am quite pleased with must beat it next month now

Jimma must learn that patience something I am not so good at

Lisaimage

• Evening,

Did my run at 7.00pm and yes Lisa it was still hot your not the only one feeling it not the best conditions to do the tempo run of the week.You have done 50 miles this month,well done.Although you want to do more next month dont just run to add the miles each run should have a purpose,endurance or speed.

B&T your runs for this week sound fine,as for next week do whatever feels right for you,a run on Mon or a run on Mon and Wed.Any runs that you do should be easy,really easy,easy have you got that keep the HR down and you will be fine.

These weather conditions cant last much longer we will soon be back to normal running conditions again thank goodness.

jimma image

• Evening!

Lisa - sounds HOT - well done with the hills in the heat! I'm sure we'll all be back to normal when the weather goes back to normal! 82K sounds impressive - must see how far I've done (on other computer, so will do that tomorrow). Not that I'm competative or anything....!!!

Jimma - okay - got the message - EASY!! I think if the temperature stays down so will my HR!

Think I'll have to give the bus driver & kids on the bus a laugh tomorrow morning by walking the kids to the bus stop in my running kit, and then running from there at 8.30 hopefully before it gets toooooooo hot. Unfortunately my usual nice quiet route will be a rat run at that time, so maybe I'll pick a different route. Maybe my hilly route from last week, but the other (more difficult!) way round!!!

• Morning,

I hope the bus driver and kids dont laugh toooo much,Im sure it will brighten up their dull day.

Good luck with the hilly route,I can see the HR up again.

You running today Lisa start of a new month get those miles in.

jimma image

• Hi there

Not today on my way to work now and working all day, might do some resistance training tonight if not to tired. Running a really long one tomorrow possibly 11 or 12 K which is long for us, hope its not so hard and the forecast is rain so should be a little cooler.

Good luck with your runs today hope the bus driver didnt laugh?? probably found it really sexy lol

TTFM

Lisaimage