Options

how to improve?

Comments

• Options

Tapering eh very professional,yes note from mum accepted.I see you are looking at HM schedules,there will be no stopping you,hows the ankle?

jimma image

• Options

('tapering' = guess who's been looking at other threads with people doing 'proper' running!)

I'm just curious as to what the schedules look like for a HM, and I keep on seeing posters for the Chippenham HM all around town. Don't think I'll be ready for this year though! I will need something to aim towards after this 10k though. My running friend had always said I needed to enter a race in order to push myself on - and she was right. Will need something to keep me going!

Ankle is still feeling a bit stiff today. Not 'ouchy' sore, just not 100% normal. I've tried putting some ice on it, and will just keep gently stretching it. Was planning a short run on Monday, but if its still like this I won't bother. 

Sitting in waiting for 1 ton if chippings to be delivered - and wondering if its going to rain or not. Lions final test at 2pm and Tour de France at 4.30pm. What a day image

• Options

I was out at 9am today which is early for me did my 11 mile hilly run,weather not too hot but I was still quite tired by the end still need to build up my stamina for my half.

How did your run go Lisa,hope you put lots of effort in as you usually do.

Its OK for some eh B&T having an easy week end,well done Lions not so well done Andy Murry,I was hoping a Scot could win the tennis.

Have you had a run this week end Rachel or are you resorting to wine to help you relax.

• Options

went out today but it is just far too hot still! we still have 27 temp up here today which is very unusual. the weather is making me feel shattered all day long! that and the 13 hour shifts, i have an easy week at work this week so will be able to get out lots weather permitting and if not i shall just go to the gym and treadmill it which is not nearly so nice!

i did have a glass of wine last night, we had a bbq to celebrate 4th july with friends from the states... any excuse for a get together!! it was so warm i didnt need to put a cardigan on until 10pm and it only got dark at 11.45pm and was daylight again at 3am, lovely.

• Options

Evening all

Havent been out for a run yet, gonna go for a short late one after the kids have gone to bed will let you know how its gone

Lisa

• Options

Verity

I'd do what Jack  said

as for a " proper runner " tell me, what does one have to be or do to be a proper runner?

just do your own thing, enjoy it, and don't be too hasty

• Options

Leaving it late today Lisa,you need to be up in Orkney with all the daylight hours

jimma image

• Options
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

Verity

I'd do what Jack  said

as for a " proper runner " tell me, what does one have to be or do to be a proper runner?

just do your own thing, enjoy it, and don't be too hasty

eh? Think we got a crossed line there!!

• Options

Evening all!

Lisa - hope you've recovered from the wine by now - should be a lovely time for  run (just don't end up in the gathering gloom like I did on Thursday!)

Rachel - aren't these evening great? Hope you enjoyed your BBQ and wine. Haven't seen the weather forecast for next week yet, but I'm hoping its going to stay fine, but a little cooler (please!)

jimma - yes - I've had a pretty lazy weekend. Enjoyed my wine, watched lots of sport on the TV (still have today's Tour de France high lights to watch!). Got out with the family geocaching today, so a nice walk and lunch in a great pub yum yum. You sound like you had an early start - 11 miles sounds impressive enough, but 11 HILLY miles? image

My ankle's feeling much better now - obviously just gave it a jolt, and lots of rest and medicinal wine have helped it. Phew!

I'll try and get a short run in tomorrow, but I have nice man coming to finish fixing my shower, then Tuesday car has to go for a service, so who knows when I'll get out! What's everyone else got planned for this week?

P.S. Found a HM 10 week training schedule and have been reading it avidly. Doesn't look too bad - running 4 times a week with 1 LSR, 1 interval -type session and 2 easy runs. Hmmmmm!!

• Options

B&T the HM schedules are not too bad,I am following one with 4 runs per week similar to the one you have found.As you have said you will need something to aim for to keep the training going.I am the same I need to have a race planned then I will do the training but if not I seem to find excuses not to run.

Get your 10k over with then it will be decision time as to what you are going to do.

jimma image

• Options
    Well, we haven't had a Verity or a Jack on this thread so far - but you're very welcome!
  • Options
    jimma wrote (see)

B&T the HM schedules are not too bad,I am following one with 4 runs per week similar to the one you have found.As you have said you will need something to aim for to keep the training going.I am the same I need to have a race planned then I will do the training but if not I seem to find excuses not to run.

Get your 10k over with then it will be decision time as to what you are going to do.

jimma image

jimma - you've hit the nail on the head! Its only been the worry of looking foolish on Friday that has pushed me on so far. I'm really enjoying it now, and it would be a shame to let it go.

Just the difficulties of fitting in running around the kids over the school summer holidays ...hmmm!

• Options

As you say you are enjoying it now so forget about looking foolish you will be fine.

I hope you are nearing the end of your run Lisa its getting a bit dusky (if there is a word) out there.

jimma image

• Options
    PS Verity and Jack appeared on the first 2 posts back in March of this year
  • Options

some very inspiring posts on these threads

with all my experience, i get times when some of it makes me remember what my running is about and keep at it

• Options

DUR at me! Sorry micknphil-marathonlads - you & jimma are completely right. Verity & Jack were at the start of the thread. Wonder where they are now? There were a couple of other 'improvers' as well - wonder how they are getting on?

And no - before you ask - I've not had any wine tonight!

jimma - as long as I actually manage to run the whole 10k I won't feel foolish, even if come last.

• Options

wine - enjoy it

i often wonder how all these people are getting on

good luck B&T

• Options

Morning

Tried to post last night but my internet was down anyway, went on a late run which was a bit tricky considering I had only had my tea about 2 hours before so it was a bit of a walk run. Ran up all the hills and walked the straights then sprinted down the hills about 8k in total. Had a bit of a dicky tummy after mind does this happen to anyone else?????

Plan for the rest of the week

Tuesday about 6k

thursday lsr about 10k maybe a bit more

Friday intervals

saturday speed run

then nothing until my 5K on tuesday 14th

B & T is your 10 k thias friday are you excited?????

could you post me the link for the hm cause I think thats my next after the 10k end of this month

Have a good day all

Lisa xxx

• Options

Lisa

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=99

That should bethe link to the training schedule for HM. Have you entered one? Brave you! yes, it is my race on Friday. Getting excited / nervous as although its only a little school run, its still a RACE!! Your 5k is coming up soon as well, isn't it? You should fly round, tha amount of training you've been doing!

Got to get the kids on the bus. Bye

• Options

Hi,

Lisa how do you cope with the end of the week,Thurs,Fri and Sat all hard sessions

My week,Tues short tempo run,Wed rest,Thurs easy run,Fri intervals,Sat rest Sun LSR Mon rest.After each hard session I have a rest day to recover.You on the other hand have 3 hard sessions one day after the other.I suppose though I am much older than you and  I need my days recovery,oh to be young again.

Take it easy and relax week for you B&T ( without the wine) Fri will soon be hear.

Have you managed to plan any runs this week Rachel its not quite so hot,I agree treadmill running is just not the same.

jimma image

• Options
    just finished work, 14.5 hour shift!! it has a bonus though as i am off tomorrow all day - the forcast is for cool breezes and very light showers, lovely.  i can have a lie in and still get in a really good run, some weights and cook my very patient husband something lovely to eat. all is well in the world x
  • Options

Evening!

Lisa - jimma's right - that's a busy 3 days! But then at least you've got a rest until your race. Excited???

jimma - your schedule sounds very like the HM schedule I posted a link to above. This is what I'll be aiming for after this week, but I don't know if I'll fit in 4 runs a week.

Rachel - how are you today?

No running for me today - but the good news is my shower is operational now image Lovely man today finished it off, and it now works without leaking. Hooray!! Tomorrow I have to take the car in for a service, so unlikely to manage a run. I might try and go out for a very gentle jog on Wednesday, all ready for Friday!!! 

• Options
    Rachel - cross posted there! Sounds like you have a good day planned for tomorrow image
  • Options

Rachel sounds like the perfect day, tomorrow its my 6yr olds birthday and my wedding anniversary so I will be havin a nice run, then will be doing my little ones tea party and then hopefully my husband will be takin me out for dinner

Lisa

• Options

interesting this thread as i said previously

Most of you are new comers to running or new - ish compared to myself, except i see for jimma

( I'm not sure i know jimma ) most know me or of me, - not sure i know myself image 

jimma's profile says 5- 10 years running, that means fitness and experience

me, i've been pushing my Phillip in his wheelchair for 7+ years now, and in total - all beit some of it sporadicly, i've been running for best part of 35 years

things are different today, runners have all the support they could wish for - which i'm glad about

my advice would still be the same though, - correct footwear is vital

train little and often, get the nutrician and fluid levels correct, throw in longer runs as one gets fitter, running little and often builds vital physcological stamina and keeps the mind positive and sharp, where as keeping on finding excuses not to run does no good at all

running a mile, 2 or just 3 can be as effective as anything every other day - but no running is NO fitness

when it comes to marathons - the experienced runners can help and advise, but there NO real way one can be prepared, you have to deal with it as it happens

Marathons OR the longer the distance goes, can be tough, but can be made a little eassier and more compy and enjoyable by listening to others

Social chatter rooms are fine and fun, good to make friends and feel at home - but they don't get people through marathons 

• Options

Hi there

m&m can you help me on the nutrition part then cause I cannot seem to shift any weight, have done all the calorie working out stuff with added allowed for the running but I dont know am doing something wrong. Its all good advice and I know these chat conditions dont get people through marathons but I find it all very motivating to chat to people on here and look forward to hearing about there days and week ahead, at the same time I suppose you have to just try things and listen to your body.

Lisa

x

• Options
    well how the weather has changed! 14 degrees and a force 6 wind! still managed 6.75 km in 40 mins though which i am really pleased with considering the head wind and typical it was not a back wind on the hills!! feel energised having been out in it though! x
  • Options
    Have you come back all fluffed up and 'skittery'? I know that's how my cats come in when its been windy here!