Royal Parks Half Marathon

Comments

• Well done everyone!!! image

I managed a 2:32 which I was really chuffed with seeing as it was my first half marathon! image

I had quite a good race initially but really struggled after mile 8 with really bad hip pain.  Can hardly walk now I'm home!!! image

The most awful thing was seeing someone collapsed  between miles 11-12 and getting CPR from the medics. It was really shocking to see. image I do hope they made it...

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Was a little disappointed in the organisation to be honest - queueing 20 minutes for the bag drop just seemed excessive but agree never been to a race with so many freebies beforehand....

Few too many twists and turns on course and found the run in to the finish one very loooong straight!

But in all enjoyed the actual run itself and got a PB so cant complain with that. Havent got official time yet as didnt give them my mobile number - any idea when they will be posted?

Great results from people and how on earth do you run in someone elses shoes?

Dusty - hopefully they were Ok...

• Hi All

Thought I'd join in - spurred on by the race today. Did the Royal Parks in 08 and FLM this year but somehow this was the best, possibly due to time, bettered last year's efforts by 18 mins to come home in 1 hr 31 mins, didn't think I had that kind of time in me but could be due to NYC Marathon training (must pop over to that forum sometime).

Glad to hear others had a good un, didn't have any problems at all apart from toilet break at 4ish miles for which the kindly marshals were handing out 50p for a pee at the public loos on Embankment, what more could you ask!?

Cav

• Well done to all of you. Sounds like a really lovely race which I shall have to consider in the future.

TraceyB.........so glad the knee held out and you were able to finish the race. It feels so great when you achieve a goal you have set for yourself................especially when it starts to look like it may be impossible to do so. I too, finished my race today. The knee did really well strapped up with tubigrip and feels fine now. We shall see in the next few days. For a full report see my saga on the Great Eastern thread. Even achieved another PB!!!!!image

• hi everyone.

well done to all those who made it round. did anyone find the last 6 miles psychologically tough due to the fact it was totally within the park? i did - enjoyed running the streets more but hey, this was the royal parks half so there you go!

managed a pb in 1.26 finishing a couple of seconds behind nell mcandrew whom for some reason i gave a quick "well done" pat somewhere near her bottom as we crossed the line! image

tons and tons of freebies too. lots to keep the family amused by so all in all, a great day!

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    the bobbin - probably saw you on course somewhere as I was maybe 40-50 yards ahead of Nell after clipping her heel at mile 9 - accidentally of course.
  • Keith - had no choice - it was either that or not run at all.. couple of minor blisters but nothing too major considering! image

dusty, i saw that guy as well.. hope they are ok.. there seemed to be a lot of people needing first aid of one sort or another today - saw at least 6 or 7 but that guy definitely looked serious image

• Well done everyone on your PBs image

Miss Knees, Well done you! To complete it was def my aim, then to run it all the way, and I did it! Bloody injuries won't keep us down image

Smug TNT image Well done you too (altho for some reason doesn't surprise me!) - went for Jamaicain Veggie Pattie, but didn't like it, altho the OH loved the Venison burger. I opted for two cereal bars, goodness shake, lucozade sport.. then lunch at home. Agree with the txt which was only 2secs different to Garmin time... altho Garmin read 13.24. Drove to 7 Kings, train to Liverpool Street. You got there in time tho so that's good.

Cobblers Mark Well done you too! Seems a fab race for PB's alround, or WB in my case image still on runner's high though!

Futurity, hopefully next year.. still wishing you loads beter.

Mrs W! I can't believe you didn't look ater yourself properly! Can't believe you got a PB in those circumstances. Hugest congrats to you image

Am def thinking of doing it next year with better knees, was a nice course, nice race etc etc image

Dusty. Well done you on a fab time for your first half! Hopelly there will be more image

2btiny! Hello! Yes, I felt it was one of my best achievements too... am sooooo achey today and knees feel swollen but have the day off.. really am not as painful today as expected, it's just the odd twinge that shoots up my thigh and catches me out.. think everything's achey so attention to knees is shared amongst the rest.

Cavruns, well done on PB.

the bobbin,.... lmao at your comment image Did she react? Well done too.

Keith L, were you trying to get closer to her?! Good PB.

So.... day off today. Back to bed when son goes to school I think... chilling and taking it easy... plus nurofen. Steady training this week - core and weights for a week without running I think... when rest of body recovers guess pain will all be at knees.

Lovely people on the forum too image Well done all!

(off to great eastern for 2btiny's race report....)

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Great post TracyB - enjoy the rest
  • well done everyone ran it in 1h 51 which i was happy with after spending sat afternoon drinking mojitos at harv nichs and having an nice non carb dinner with wine on sat evening! but then again i don't often get over to the big smoke and being  a country boy have to make the most of it! really enjoyed the run and was a good bit of sightseeing, thought the run was well organised and a big well done to the volunteers!

on a separate note i heard someone say on the way round that they had got a ballot place for vlm but were not going to use it...does this annoy anyone else?

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Whitehead runner - re VLM ballot place - not really to be honest. They accept something like 45-50,000 runners knowing fully well that only about 35,000 will turn up. Some will never start training, some will defer, some will get injured etc etc. If everyone they accepted turned up they would have to accept far far fewer runners....so its swings and roundabouts really.

Even on Sunday at RPH I bet a fair few who were accepted didnt turn up on day - its a race fact of life.

• Not sure how it happened by I absolutely blasted my PB and finished in 2.11! imageimageimage Didn't know I could run that fast! Think I went off a bit too quickly at the start though because I found the last few miles really tough. I was about to stop for a walk break at about 12.5 miles but was spurred on by a man dressed as a nurse image

Found the twists and turns in the parks a bit disorientating but apart from that it was a great race. I didn't even think the toilet queues were that bad!!

Well done to everyone, especially those of you who managed to make it round with injuries image

• Nice to meet some fellow forumites on this one , a bit slow for me at 1.50 but hey ho , didnt really do the miles I guess.

See you at Greensands in 2 weeks !

• Thanks TraceyB.  I'm sitting at work with a little stiffness in my legs but a massive smile thanks to a great day (weekend) in London.
  • Broke 2 hours (with 24 seconds to spare). Very happy. Thanks to all the kind marshals.
  • keith l - it's just i get knocked back every year for london and this guy has decided not to run even though he's in already in october!  so it's back to edinburgh in may for me!

• What a great race!  Ran a comfortable 2:15 enjoying all the amazing spectacle of London & the beautiful parks.  The crowds were fabulous - we (me & my hubby) had never run in such a large event before & it was so uplifting to have so much support.  We were running for the Labrador Rescue & I wore furry black ears & a tail & got lots of great shout-outs from the crowd & other runners - what great fun!  (It really does work to have your name on your vest too - it's such a boost to hear people cheering you on.)

The marshalls were excellent (& their loudspeaker cheerleading was much appreciated) & the whole event was very well organised. A big thank you to everyone involved.

We've heard we have ballot places for the 2010 VLM too, so we get another chance to run in London! Yay!  image

• Congratulations to you all!  As a tortoise, I took about 2hrs 53mins to get round (waiting for chip times to go up), but proud that I never stopped and managed to pass the squirrel and the big fish!

Fantastic volunteers round the course, water points all just right for me, I too love being in the streets more than in the park.

I felt much better once I had sawn my legs off last night, and despite saying I wouldn't do another half ever again, I have just registered interest for this race next year!

Great atmosphere overall, will love it even more once the pain in my knees and hips has subsided, arf!

• Maggie S - I've registered interest for next year as well lol! Despite the fact I can barely walk today as my legs are so stiff! image

• Ha ha, Mrs Womble,  glad I'm not the only one!!
  • MaggieS, lovely how are you? Was going to email but as you weren't around presumed maybe you weren't running it... and didn't want to push you! Well done! Fab time! Also registered interest for next year after spending day chilling with OH.

Knees actually okay today, think my left thigh took most of it during the limp/run sport image

Yes MaggieS... thanks for outing the cellulite showing through the running tights image I decided to wear them in the race as they actually have compression to stop so much vibration through the muscles. Seems to have helped I think!

Veggie Sausage! Well done you image

Thanks Martin image

All, it's worth looking at flickr.com and searching for 42run photos as this guy kindly takes photos and uploads by the bib number. Thanks 42run yet again image

p.s. the folds around my knees are the knee supports....

• keith l -  well done on your race. poor old nell - she was limping a bit at the end image. if you think you saw me, i was in a fishermans mission vest looking ok for the first 9 miles then looking terrible from then on in. last weeks 10k catching up with me.

tracey b - i don;t think she reacted, i did say well done to her but i was so knackered i probably wouldn't have heard her anyway.

• Good to read that folks are recovering well, esp those who ran with injuries. Thanks TracyB/Maggie S will look up the pics...

E-mail from RPHM with provisional placing (and feedback survey etc)  this pm - had to refresh the site a couple of times to get at them but good to get the results today. Now scratching my head trying to work out how my 'gun' position (1755)  way ahead of my 'chip' position (2181).  Don't see how that works -  thoughts anyone?

Otherwise wooden legs and felt tired today but no injuries emerged overight so that's good.

• Sorry double post - meant to write there also some pics on the RPHM facebook site though couldn't recognise anyone frm here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo_search.php?oid=105267348335&view=all

• Hi guys, just got back from the smoke, tired, aching, knee killing me and hungover!!!  image

Ran with the last parts of a cold, which made it mentally tiring, but managed a PB of 1:46 so very pleased overall.

Good event, good crowds, nice run and Lucozade generously supplied loads of energy stuff so no complaints atall.

Spent the afternoon in 'The Mitre' in Lancaster Gate drinking the amber Nectar - well it would have been rude not to I say!!  image

• Thanks TracyB! I still can't quite believe my time - nearly 20 mins off my PB image

TNT - The chip time shows where you were placed in your category - female senior, male veteran, etc

Nice one ColW, I also chose to 'rehydrate' in the pub image

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    TNT - means that you probably started a little too far forward - not hugely but enough.
  • I also really enjoyed the event, weather was perfect for running. I will definitely  look at this event next year.

I got my PB of 1.34.50 and to top it off I beat Ben Fogle image