Royal Parks Half Marathon

Comments

•  knowing my luck he will run out of steam before i get to see him  

• thanks! I need luck at the moment!!So scared - it's only a month away.

It's my first full marathon. At the moment, I just can't wait for it to be over so that I can go back to normal distances again. I love half marathons! So much more doable and sociable. Not sure I'm cut out for the full 26.2 as it's such a  training commitment...

• Emsy- I'll be at Reading, along with 16,000 others- Good Luck!
  •  ive done loads of full marathons in the past dont start to quick enjoy the fist half save it for later if you get it right at 20 mls you flash past all the fast starters it gives you a boost  also dont over do it on the pasta it takes ages to digest and stay off your feet on saturday
  • Thx Foxy lady, good luck to you too...

Reading will be only my 2nd half, after a shocker in the GNR last year, cant wait! image

• Sorry if I appear a bit thick - but how do you find out what your race number is ??
  • Cockney L - In your confirmation email from royal parks they give you a username/password.  Key in all of that and it tells you.

Anthony - good marathon advice.  Wish I could do my first marathon again.  Was the best one I've ever done - the slowest, yes - but certainly the most enjoyable.  This year I'm massaging for a charity after FLM which will be another way to experience it.  Really looking forward to it.  Last year I battled the crowds with my sister's two kids in a pushchair.  Definitely easier to run the thing!

• Thanks Anthony!

Defo planning on trying to take it easy for the first half so that I look good for the crowds at the end! He he.

Planning my pasta overload at lunch on the sat as that usually works well for me... Then something lighter in the evening. 

• Wow, it actually took longer to get a place in this race that it will take to run it.  I managed to get mine the following day after experiencing ther aforementioned problems too.

So now all that is over and entries have closed, what is the race like?  I've heard good things about it from last year.  I decided to do this instead of the Great North Run this year.  I love the GNR but my wife hates it as a spectator.  I'm sure the Royal Parks will be easier to watch (plus I saved a quid on entry).

This will be my third race in the capital (2 x Marathons and 1 x London 10000) and I'm looking forward to running around Westminster at the beginning of this race instead of being totally knackered at 25 miles of the marathon.

• So now we all have places.. how's the training going?

Hi Miss Knees image

• Hi TracyB,

I thought I'd join you over here rather than fill up the adidas 5k thread with talk of half marathons image

I've done one half before (Silverstone 08) and I was going to do Run to the Beat last year as well but couldn't start due to injury. I'm aiming for 2.15 this time round. I finished Silverstone in 2.30 but didn't do much proper training - this time I'm vaguely following the RW plan so fingers crossed.

I'm doing Brighton marathon too! image

• Hi VS! image

I did the RTTB with my own training plan.. and was only one I've run the whole way (for a couple of reasons e.g. running buddy falling down pavement and having to walk). Am planning 2.15-2.30 following plan and enjoying it!

Brighton Marathon! Haven't seen you on that thread? there's a list of expected time.. mine's based on my currently 10k time taking me to 5.18!!! I'll need a few wees during that image

• Have now added myself to the Brighton list - put 5 hours but tbh just finishing in one piece would be good
  • Hi VS

Yep I'm with you on that one image In fact, staying in one piece whilst training would be good image

• Hey Everyone

Royal parks half will be my 3rd half having done GNR 08 and reading 09. since completing reading my motivation has dwindled, so i though by joining this thread might stop me slacking !!!

Went for a short 20mins run yesterday and it felt rubbish, think i just need to get a my regular routine back image

• Hi all,

Just in case anyone is still looking for places in the Royal Parks Half - I work for the charity YouthNet and we have some left! 

YouthNet is an online charity which provides information, advice and support to 16-24 year olds throughout the UK through award winning websites www.TheSite.org and www.do-it.org.uk.

Our fundraising target is £499 and we'll help you every step of the way to hit that goal.  To sign up, call Cat on 020 7250 5767 or email info@youthnet.org.

Deadline is 14th August so get in touch now!

Thanks for reading  image

• Hi All,

Training's almost going well with a gruelling 9m (on RW training schedule) with BF over Essex way.. with the worst hill I've ever encountered.. image hopefully will make the flat runs easier... how's your training going?

• Hey Tracyb

Slowly getting back into training... did a slow 55 mins run at the weekend.

Talking about hills, think i'm going to use shock tactics lol.
    I am going back to my parents for a wedding, wkend 22nd Aug and am going to enter this 10km run. check out the course profile! think i must be mad imagehttp://new.hermitage-harriers.co.uk/images/herm_10K_course.jpg  image

• My half training isn't quite on track, have been doing a lot of 10K and 5 milers over the summer so the long run has suffered.  Should be fine though, this will be my 10th half (doing Cransley in Northants two weeks before), just need to step up the distances over the next few weeks.

Hope everyone else is doing well with their training too.

• Hi all

My training is progressing nicely - did nearly nine miles on Saturday morning. I did start feeling hungry towards the end of the run so I'm thinking of taking some sweets with me next time. I can't drink energy drinks and I'm not sure about gels, anyone else use them?

Emsy2 - That 10k looks tough! I have been looking at a 10 mile race in Sept that is really hilly as well. I've been too scared to enter yet though!

• Sausage, try making your own energy drinks.  one third fresh orange juice, two thirds water, a pinch of salt and a couple of spoonfuls of sugar (per pint).  I have been using this since the start of the year (found it in Runners World) and it works a treat.  Much easier to drink than branded energy drinks (and cheaper). 

Wine gums or Haribo are a winner on longer runs too (I'm addicted to both anyway). image

•  lol VS

I keep telling myself that it is just a training run and all i need to do it complete it rather than 'race' it! image Another four miles of hills....ouch. i'm sure you can do it! Shall we make a bet... i'l definately enter mine if you enter yours? image

• Emsy 2 you are one to be admired! The BF got my crying trying this hill.. couldn't even move my short chubby legs to open them wide enough to jog up it, it was so steep! image He was sorry after image

Cobblers Mark you'll have no trouble then! I'm attempting 2 halves in 2 weeks for this years fundraiser.. takes me 2 weeks to recover from a half image presuming I do it successfully i.e. without stopping at least!

Hey VS. I tried a SIS gel (many people I know swear by these), but they are only necessary for long runs. However, I tried them on a 5miler just in case it caused stomach probs, as running can do all kinds of things to your insides image. I have bad habit of diet kick/red bull before run, but now Lucozade Sport.. replaces electrolytes, but find them too sickly to run with. Gel's are for energy/carb (these ones are anyway), so won't help with the hunger image - make sure you eat plenty carbs/protein 2hrs before you run. Might find you need to up your breakfast for the longer ones. I take Goodness Shakes straight after my runs sometimes.

• Good luck Tracy, two in two weeks is a good task.  Did two in concec weekends this year and it was quite a buzz, you do sleep well after though.image  You'll be fine if you've trained well, 9 miles long run is very good at this stage as well.
  • Hi Mark, I'm following the RW half mara training schedule to hopefully get within 2.30hrs. VS is doing this training plan too, the RW one. I did RTTB last year in 2.37 (first half of my life!), then Southend and Brentwood halves which weren't run the whole way for various reasons. Hoping this schedule will get me steady/stronger...consec weekends! It takes me weeks to recover at my age image
  • Good luck.   You should beat 2h30 as well, can't beat RW training plans.

Just put your feet up between the two halfs, maybe have a bit of light jogging or cycling to keep the joints moving.  It'll be a massive buzz though and you'll feel great at the end. image

• Hiya, hopefully prepare me for my first mara, Brighton, in April 2010 too! Am thinking of doing Southend 10k in the middle.. even if I walk or jog it slowly? Can also swim... will see how I go. Just joined a running club, so out for first run Thursday with them too.

• Thanks for the advice everyone.  I will definitely try the homemade energy drink and I think I need to eat more the night before my long runs as well (I've been trying to lose a bit of weight so haven't been eating much in the evening).

Emsy - I would love to take you up on the bet but after looking at my schedule I think it is a bit tooclose to the half to be doing such a tough 10 mile run. Sorry image Good luck with yours though!

• Hey VS, particularly in training you should still eat balanced protein/carbs/veg meal. Dont cut anything from a meal. Says she who has banned crisps/choc/sweets/biscuits/cakes as part of sponsorship and currently binges on so much fruit has bad stomach, and craves more food image If you're doing the training, you will lose it, but you need a certain amount, particularly for the long run training.
  • Following RW half marathon schedule, 10m yesterday at 12.30 min mile pace, BF still took me off-road but only a few tiny inclines as opposed to mountains image Thanks BF image Completed in 1hr 58. Almost on target for sub 2.30hr half marathon am hoping for.

VS - presume you were 9m yesterday? How did you get on?