Royal Parks Half Marathon

Comments

• Hi All

Unfortunately I am no longer able to run in this event  which I was really looking forward to. I do have Windsor a couple of weeks before to look forward to though !!!

Basically I will be on holiday at the time image so If anyone is interested in the place please let me know

Cheers

K

• Hey TB, well done on your run.

I did 10 miles as well (I've tweaked the schedule a bit as I'll miss a couple of weekends later on in the plan). I made my own energy drink to bring along with me and it must have helped because I felt quite strong at the end of the run image

• Hi  Kev Meister,

Do you still have that spare Royal Parks place? If so, I'd be interested!

Is there a way of sending a private message on this site?

• Hi VS, Well done too image Friend I was running RTTB and Royal Parks with can no longer make it image - he's from the North West. So will be attempting runs by myself. Only successful ones have been with him by my side, but am sure I can do it..although BF has offered.. considering he's training the long runs with me, BUT is twice my pace.. don't feel it would be fair on him.

Energy drink with OJ? I can only drink water as I run. Was going to try gels, but BF (who is a 'proper runner') suggests it's not necessary for a half image Luc Sport beforehand and water on the way for me.

• HI TracyB

would your friend be interested in selling his place to me  pleease 

• Hi, I've got a Royal Parks place up for grabs - I've stupidly double-booked and can't get out of my responsibilities!!

I don't know whether it matters but I registered as female, running between around 2.15 and 2.30.  I don't know if they colour code numbers etc. like they do at Reading, and how strict they are about it.

I think I've got my private messaging on (a bit of a div when it comes to technical stuff!) so let meknow if anyone's interested

• Hi AWTY, i've just sent you a PM about your place! J

• I am booked to do this for The Blue Cross ( they still have places - closes end of this week )

First event since paris marathon last year. Very unfit.

The training is really hard. I had to run 60 mins this weekend and after 40 mins I was down to walk 2 run 3

Tomorrow I am meant to run 30 mins without stopping. Yikes. This training really hurts. Guess thats the result of being fat and slow.

its 10k this weekend which will take 70 mins. Yes I said I was slow.

I am so unfit its vile.

• Hello everyone,

I would love to take a spare place in the royal parks half marathon! Please send me a message - thanks a lot!

• Hi all, how is the training going?

I did 10.5 miles on Saturday morning and was exhausted for the rest of the day!

• Hi VS

I did 12m on Sunday - I find my garmin really helps me pace and on my schedule it's a slow time for my long runs anyway. Faster 5m tonight (still not really fast though) - am on schedule with training for RTTB firstly, Southend 10k inbetween, followed by Royal Parks image Well.. hey.. it's all for charity image

• I am up to 7 miles on weekend runs. Given that I could not run 100 yards when i started my training in middle of July I am pleased with my progress.

I wont go past 10 miles in my training but know that i will be able to plod away at 10 min mile pace and finish under 2 20.

Surprised how quiet this thread is

• Hi Koprano,

I've done halves before but RTTB successfully, and struggled for various reasons with another two. This is a charity event, and I'm following Runners World half mara scheduled based on my 10k time.

If I could 'plod' at 10mmp I'd be way happy! I'm training to get sub 2:30!

Saying that.. off for a 5m at 10.30mmp just now. Catch ya later.

• Back from RW scheduled 12m training run at 12.30mmp = 2.30hrs approx.

Steady run took me to avg 10.57mmp = 2.11

Well pleased image Just hope my knees and back hold out as on target for my sub 2.30 RTTB and Royal Parks Halves

• I did my 7.5 miles this morning. But stupidly, i took a route with massive hill that really took it out of me. Once I got to 6 miles I was very drained, and felt I needed water as I kept licking my lips. Had to walk as soon as i got to any incline, but ran the last flat 1/2 mile, and was back to 10.15 plodding  pace.

7.68 miles in 1 hour 21 mins, but that hill killed me. 4 mins walking then ran up the final half mile to the top. I hate hills.

• Well done TracyB and good luck for the 5k tomorrow! I was planning to do 11 miles but decided to cut it a bit short to 10.5 so hopefully I'll have something left in the tank.

Koprano - Don't you bring any water out with you? I always carry a bottle with me on long runs. I don't get anywhere near 10.15 pace on the LSR, I can just about race 10k at 10 min miles!

• Thanks VS. Good luck for you tomorrow too! Am still a bit hyper from run image hope I do it well tomorrow as 'it is only 5k!'.

It was hot this morning on the run (topped up my tan!).

Koprano - I don't take water out with me but that's cos I worry about wee breaks, but I think I should be. I had a friend training for a marathon, who drove the training miles earlier, and planted small bottles of water where he could pick them up and discard on the running route. Mind you.. round here someone would find it and pee in it image

Would love to do a 10k at 10min miles. That's my next plan image

• Evening all.

I was well underwatered . Had the tell tale signs today. Live and learn. Had 2 pints of water within an hour of getting home, so very surprised.

I shall drop off bottles from now on. Never considered it needed for under 6 miles. Nice 2 mile easy run tomorrow.

• Decided to time my long run today (usually just judge pace by 'perceived exertion') and discovered I am running way too fast, almost race pace. No wonder I'm always so tired afterwards! Definitely going to be putting a Garmin on the Christmas list.

• Hi VS image

Did my 12m training run yesterday (meant to be at 12.30min mile pace) but was at my more comfortable 11mmp - didn't help by mile 11.. even though it's slow. Flunked at 11m, bad stitch, panicked I couldn't run, got upset, this bothere my breathing... image bleurgh! Did however get within target of training time pace image

Training with my Garmin has been so much more enjoyable. Would def recommend it.

10k race pace Battersea next Saturday, RTTB 27 Sep, 10k Southend, Royal Parks. Bring it on!

• Never mind TracyB, better to get your bad run out of the way now rather than on race day image

You've got a busy few weeks coming up! Are you focussing on any particular race and using the others as training or doing full effort for all of them?

I had a For Goodness Shakes straight after my long run this weekend and it really did seem to help my recovery.

• Hello everyone - I'm doing this one as well image

Training not gone quite to plan - am blaming it on St Albans being undulating image My longest run so far was a 9 miler at 10min miles - hoping to finish in 2.15.

How's everyone else's training going?

• Hey guys

I'm doing this one too- got longest run to date tonight- 13miles imageimage but at this rate it looks like i'll need flippers if it doesn't stop raining soon!

• I'm doing this one too, training was going well until a couple of weeks ago, life has got in the way. I too was hoping to go for a long run tonight, about 12 miles...

So far my longest run has been 10 miles.

did anyone else do this last year?

• I've got to do my longest run so far tomorrow... for 1 hr 40 mins. Will keep my fingers crossed for this as i usually do my long runs at weekends, so hope fully i wont struggle after a days work image

Did a easy 45 mins this morning, was v nice to do a shorter run for a change  image i remember the days when a 45 min run was long lol

hope everyone is getting on ok image

• VikW & madaussie - Wow you two are good going out for your long run in the evening! At least the rain seems to be slowing down a bit.

Hey Mrs Womble - I am in St Albans as well. Hopefully all the 'undulations' are making us stronger! At least the race seems like it will be fairly flat.

• Emsy 2 - lol - yes me too.. I remember feeling very impressed with myself for running 30 mins without stopping!

hey VS, yes, not the flattest place in the world is it? image should be a walk in th park in comparison (pardon the pun!) image

• didn't end up making it out. after walking home from work I was completely soaked...and so I chickened out.
  • VS 10k (Battersea) race is Week 11 RW schedule. Southend 10k is something to keep me moving/mobile in between my charity challenge of two halves in two weeks.

Goodness Shakes are great after long runs. I swear by them, although I think there's cheaper ways of making your own. I bought a job lot on their site and got discount (bigger size bottles), as can only find chocolate ones (have banned chocolate as party of fundraising!), or have to go miles away to Asda to stock up.

Mrs Womble - it's great training on undulating routes - the OH has taken me some really hilly routes to train.. the flat's then seem so much easier image

VikW How did you go in the rain with your 13m?! Madaussie are you going today instead? image My long runs are at the weekends. Longest run in the week on trainining schedule was 6m which I did today and did 6.2m to get a PB image

It's so much easier when you 'only' have to go out for an hour... after half hours seeming a challenge image