What do you do with your medals?

Comments

• i tend to hang mine around the neck of Buddha, probably deserves the more than i do.
  • I've only kept the ones I have from marathons (which ain't alot!) - they're hanging off the corner of a mirror in my bedroom. To be honest, apart from GNR I haven't had any from other races, it's usually a t-shirt. Keep a few of those for shorter training runs, put the rest in a bag when the charity shop comes round collecting image

Can't imagine I'd ever chuck the marathon ones away, it hurt too much earning them.

• How weird is this?

Mr LB came home last night with his 5 world marathon major medals mounted in a frame! image He's been trying to get it done for a year now and then a thread appears on this subject on the very day that he finally gets round to it! They look great and I've put them up on the office wall.

I'm still keeping all the others in the drawer though....image

• Hi everyone

My personal opinion is that a good technical t-shirt with the name of the race i use it for my training . Why not? The most important team that organize generally a meeting (5 k,10k , H,M) use a sponsor and negotiate with a important brand (or a new ) the official t-shirt (they don't want fail) and that is part of your package . this is a vehicle for the enrollment at the race (you don't look it?)  . Advertising , magazine , program tv , radio are fundamental for the final success .

good run

Enrico

Enrico

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Unless it is a very nice and specially made for the event medal, not the cheap tat that come with a stick on centre, it ends up pinned to a board in the study. Other stuff is usually worn by the dogs until the jangling against thir collars gets too annoying then it into the bin.
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    For the medal that is, not the dog.image
  • i aint got any yet-for running but when i do, i will put them on the wall and sell the gold and silver onesimage
  • I hang them off the utensil rack in the kitchen.

And occasionally wear them when playing hide the salami.

• I like to pretend I'm Lasse Viren.
  • they're in a tupperware box.
  • Why - will they go off? image
  • no - but my cheese & pickles sarnies, get lonely, before 12pm...

they keep them company.

• Some of mine are in shoebox in the spare bedroom, all my GNR medals are in a separate box.
  • I hang mine on my bedpost.

• hi 40 mins.

i hope you don't offer nightmare medals for yours guest. ...very funny

enrico

• I suspect it may be an old vet's substitute for carving notches...

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I bought some really fancy door knobs and my other half made a little oak thing to mount them on and I hang my medals from that according to distance. Lots of 10k's a few halves or similar and one marathon. I like them. Know I have to get him to make a shelf for my trophy.

Does anyone know what to do with a plastic beer glass, drank the beer, very nice, but the glass has kind of lost it's appeal now. Kept a few daffs in it for a while...

• we don't collect anything anymore

we got over loaded with it all

a lady mailed me a week or so ago

for some reason she did'nt get a medal at 2008 FLM - she was or still is rather upset about it as she cannot get one

so i said - send me ure adress and u can have ours as we don't want it

we took it to be polite -

• Keep them all they are all worth time and yraining,sometimes pain on your feet, If you throw them away then why bother doing the race in the first place.

County or club medals/trophys I display next to my rower and it gives me focus  during cross training it makes me want to achieve again and again.

The finishing medals you can put them on a wire and just keep adding to them. Whether they are in a drawer or on view they are all special.

Its t-shirts I can't cope with.got loads, they all have memories especially big ones that  I really excelled at.

Give medals to your mum maybe then you can always see them,.Mine has certificates just a thought !

• I combine them with another great hobby.  I make cork boards out of corks (and given the increasing prevalence of screw caps, you have to get through a lot of wine before you have enough to fill the frame).  Accumulating the raw materials is the best part!

I cut off the ribbons, and mount the medals on the board with drawing pins.  The display looks pretty nice, and I prefer that to shoving them in the back of a drawer.

• Great idea We have lots of corks............................image
  • How could any of you be so blase as to not want your medals!  Mine currently hang on a hook below some shelves in the bedroom, but after three years of running, no more will fit on the hook.  I was thinking of getting a recessed frame from Hobbycraft, shortening the ribbons, then arranging a display in the box. Simples.  All my race numbers are in a large photo album, each with the route map and a photo - it reminds me what I have achieved since my first 5K that was a run/walk. Celebrate our good fortune, chaps!
  • I'm never going to win anything other than the everyone gets a medal medal. I hang them on a stick on hook on my sheelf unit. When i eventually get myself my own place i might do something else with them, only got about four that are worth displaying though (others generic cheap ones)

R

• birderbirder ✭✭✭

I only keep my marathon medals (the few that I've got!) and I try and give my other medals to any kids that want them at the finish of a race.

I don't know how feasable this would be but could race organisers put a tick box on race applications so you could let them know if you don't want a medal or t-shrt; maybe for a reduced entrance fee?  This might reduce costs for the organiser as well.

• birder
    Probably not that easy to organise, the extra admin would outweigh any cost saving.  Medals & cheap Ts cost very little when bought by the 100s.

• I only keep medals from marathons, half marathons and Great South Runs, for finishing. I do, however, keep all the beer tankards, shields and cups, awarded for finishing in the first three of my age category.
  • I love my medals. I hang all my medals (only 11 so far) on some nails I've put in one of my bookcases. My race numbers I glue into a scrapbook. For me my medals are reminders of where I began and what I have achieved over the last few years. (Also a good reminder of how active I am these days when 15 years ago I hated PE lessons)

• We happen to have a small, brightly painted but somewhat chipped fairground carousel horse (about 2 ft high) in the front room. Long story.

She wears the medals around her neck - the colourful jumble of ribbons really suit her. They're only finishers medals, but sometimes even finishing is an achievement.