Bupa 10K Great Manchester Run

Comments

• imageNutty1976 . No i have decided to drive up on the day . 
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Not long now folks, hope all is going to plan. This was my first 10k race and enjoyed it so much, i'm coming back. I'm in the white wave 7573, was hoping for 50mins but will be happy with anything under the hour. Hope all you 10k virgins have a great day.

Nutty...are you a "Leyfer". Not too far from me in Wigan.

• Deputy Dawg - I sure am a "Leyfer" and I work up at Heinz image
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    Nutty...How much do damaged tins go for nowadaysimage Hows the training going and where do you run, anywhere special. I usually stay local but often go running around Haigh Hall. 
  • Staff Shop tins of beans are about 20p a can.  Training not too bad.  I used to run with the Womens Running Network last year when I first started running.  First run I did was from Central park up to the Esso towards standish and then back down through the cemetry back down to the car.  Eeek took me a few goes to get up that without stopping to walk.  Also used to run out towards ince through Haigh Hall and through the canal system and back again.  Run mainly round Atherton now as I joined Astley and Tylseley Road Runners.  Am doing the training day tomorrow and then my last run will be on Thursday
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Whats the training day. I'm hoping my last run will be on thursday then a couple of days rest. What wave are you in for sunday and do you have an ideal time that you would like to achieve.
    I can imagine that run up to standish being a bit of a slog, nice running back though all downhill.

Ive done a few of my long runs up atherton road to the bp garage then back down past howe bridge to asda and back around to atherton road, past the top of nel pan lane.

• The training day is something that was in the race pack at Platt Field - short runs with tips, coaching etc.  Think its being hosted by Swinton Running Club ??  Am in the pink wave cause when I entered in Jan id done one 10km at 75 mins way back in October.  I've since ran Derby 10km on April 19th and Bolton 1 week later at 70mins  so I was dead pleased with a 5 min improvement in 6months.  If I can find somebody running at 65mins, I'd like a crack at 65mins.  Quite like running the loop from Toby Cavery down at Lowton down to Newton Station, through to newton, Left at the roundabout into Earlstown and then onto the lancs and then back down the Toby Cavery.  Its about 8.5miles in total.  Am doing the Tunnel 10km end of month so once I've finished that I've got nothing till beginning of sept so I want to get back to some structure cause I'm a sod for doing my own thing.  I'm running a lot more regularly now so I want to start doing some speed training to get me speeded up a bit
  • hee hee I used to work in heinz,

which bit do you work in Nutty?

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    The training day sounds good, you should be able to pick up some good tips. You are improving slowly but surely so well done. i am sure you will beat 70mins in manchester. I know exactly where you mean and it sounds a lot further than 8.5m. Have you seen the other 10k race in manchester on july 5th. thats a good race and starts in the athletics stadium at the side of man, cities football ground. if youre interested, have a look at the "events". it will keep you ticking over during the summer. 
  • the other 10K is a bit pants,

three times round the gas works, but I suppose the scenery in Bradford has changed a bit since they built CoMs.

If there are any laydees out there that fancy training with a very welcoming non competitive running club in Didsbury have a google of the Northern Lawn Tennis club.  We're called Northern Sole and its a great way to get together with other laydees and have a gossip and a bit of a run.  Its all really aimed at beginners upwards.  Nobody is ever too slow or too unfit image

• Yeah I've seen the city of manchester 10km.  Next one I've put down for is Birchwood end Aug.  Bit wary of summer races cause I suffer very very badly from Hayfever.  Tue before Derby I pulled up in the club run after barely a mile cause I suffered an asthma attack and a sudden onset of Hayfever symptoms, so I think any summer races I might do might be a see how I feel on the day.  Was a bit unsure about the city of manchester 10km cause of the actual route not being very interesting I saw ??
  • Hi nutty.

You are right it is not very interesting, but there is a lot more room to move, and a nice track start and finish, and excellent PB potential!  It is different to the Bupa one, but still has decent support, and it is great to finish on an athletics track, and lovely if your family or friends come to watch.  Of the two I think the Bupa one is probably more fun, but the City of Manchester is better as a race, certainly in terms of getting a decent crack at a PB.  Do both I sayimage....Oh, I think I might do Birchwood too...just down the road from me.

• Birchwood will be my second race as a club runner image
  • Ah...nice one...which one are you in?  Considering joining WRR, but not until I can speed up a bit, its a pretty fast club I think...
  • Tue/Thu group of Astley and Tyldseley Road Runners.  Good mix of abilities.  We're usually split into 3 groups, 3mileish 4-5 mileish and 6-8 mileish.  I usually stick with the middle group and are at the back of the pack of that group.  They have a Mon/Wed group for the dead dead fast ones.  Been going since end of jan and its helped me loads running with others.  Remember that run we did last year and I was really knackered cause of the pace.  Well I can hold that pace a lot better now image
  • Well done nutty. 

You must be pleased to be making such progress, sounds like there is a good mix at your club too, which is perfect.  I quite fancy the idea of a track night now and again, but I dread to think how I might get on! I really need some help re speed and stuff, and to do proper speedwork on a track is probably much better than any ad hoc stuff I do with my Garmin...............until it broke today!! Argh....one week before the 10k too!  Would you believe it?!  To be honest, I am not going for any kind of time next week, just to try and enjoy it, but I really want to try and improve my the time of Birchwood...hope I canimage.

Do you have any goal in mind?  It is also v v busy, so no point in stressing too much about time...just enjoy I reckon.

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Farnie...I agree that the COM 10k isnt scenic, but if we only raced in scenic races then we wouldnt be doing many. Its nice to start and finish in the athletics stadium aswell, with good support.

Nutty...With the smaller races they dont get full early on giving you the option to pay on the day. I entered Birchwood last year but as i never did any training, i never bothered. So ive entered again and looking forward to it, and its more or less local.

RP....Youve got me thinking now about joining a running club, i may enquire this afternoon. Dont you think you are fast enough, youre like a whippet. I will just follow you next sunday to get my pb

• ...Farnie...Bradford?  What has Bradford got to do with city of Manchester run?  Am I being thick? (probably...lol)image.

D.D...Come with me to the club when I go! They do track nights on Thursdays nights....you can chase me round the trackimage

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

RP..i didnt like saying about bradfordimage

Stop tempting me....i would never catch youimage

• DD - Wigan Phoenix would be your local club possible me thinks ?  Also I would highly recommend Astley and Tyldesley.  The group i'm in runs Tue from Beefold Lane at half 6 and Atherton station Thu night at half 6.  If you fancy the more speedy type interval traning then that is Mon/Wed
  • oh and we get a good supply of quality bacon image
  • Where is everybody ??? Its so quiet in forum land for this one !!!

Is everybody still busy training , surely not today , friday .

Is anybody  giddy about it like me ? image I cant wait , Ive managed to get up to 12k still feeling comfy , so Im hoping on sunday l should be okay  

At the moment I must admit to being a bit restless , no running , and its tipping it down here.

So really you feel like you are just waiting for sunday to come around now.

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Hi Helly

I think everybody is anxious about the weather, hope it clears up for sunday. Dont think training at this late stage this will change anything. What time are you hoping for and what pen are you in.
    Hope you have a great race on sunday.

• Bradford is the part of manchester that the stadium is in.  Next to Clayton.

Keep up image

If you like the start finish of an athletics track then try some of the Sale Harriers Races at Wythenshawe park.  They are good fun and inexpensive.

For scenic, I would say Bramhall has got to be up there..

• Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭
     Does anybody know which colour wave correspondes to what estimated time you put down? I have to pick up my race pack on Saturday you see and they are going to allocate me a wave then. Wondered if anyone knew which one I would be in as I will be running it in about 45mins and wanted an idea of what time I will start etc.
  • Blimey, you learn something every day! I honestly never knew that (though in my defense I am a "foreigner" to these parts!).

Funny you should mention those things in Sale..is that the Summer Sizzler thing>?  I was just looking at those a minute ago....pondering....image

Yes everyone, weather forecast is not great for Sunday.  Bin bags at the start I should think!

• Sprint, that'll probably get you in Orange. I can't remember if I put down 48 or 49 (pb at the time was 50.50, now 47.38) and I'm in Orange.

Why do you have to pick your race pack up? Did they not send it, or was it a late entry or something? I hate not having everything before I leave as I usually have to travel overnight, I panic at thoughts of not having enough time to pick things up.