Options

Bupa 10K Great Manchester Run

Comments

• Options
    congratulations to everyone today, i myself only took up running after christmas this yr so missed out on this one,i'll be there next yr though. I also saw 2 girls walking back through bolton today wearing their medals with pride, well done! Does anyone know when next yrs entry is available?
  • Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Boothy...entries for this race are usually in January, and this years race was full within 5 days.

Just keep an eye out on the website www.greatrun.org

Kelly.....great time and well done with your pb.

• Options
    cheers deputy dawg, very much appreciated,i'll make a note,i take it it's just 1st come 1st served, not like the london marathon were you go in a ballot,i only ask as there seems to be a hell of a lot of runners and interest in the race itself
  • Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    Boothy...1st come 1st served. Theres alot of interest as its a premier event along side the GNR and the London Marathon. Not many 10k races get shown on tv.
  • Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    Boothy...this years event opened on the 8th Jan...so will be similar time in 2010.
  • Options
    well done everyone. A great day, well organised. Was in the pink wave, managed 46:30, couldnt get a good run at it; weaving and dodging about, very frustrating. About 300 mtrs from finish thought i had cramp in right calf, turned out to be a muscle strain...... bugger. Hope it heals up quick, have 2 10k's next month.
  • Options

Enjoyed today...organisation was fantastic but couldn't get over the crowds! It was so packed running, I was trying to break 60mins but with all the weaving and slowing down I couldn't get going and did it in 61mins (but still chuffed to bits with that!)

Is that what the London Marathon is like? I mean having to watch where you're running all the time and trying not to crash into people?

When will chip results be out and where?

Also, saw loads of people taking photos, will they be 'marathonphotos.com' - does anyone know?

• Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Ploddinglady...chip times are out. visit the wesite i posted above on this page, should also say about the photos.

Well done with your time. 

• Options

yey!!! Brilliant! I came just ahead of midway 15,000 or something like that. That's cheered me right up cos I'm always last at my club!

How many runners did it exactly - do we know? 

• Options

49:45 - pleased to be beat 50 mins.

Well organised as usual - very congested for first 1km though.

Enjoyed a few well deserved pints afterwards.

• Options

Pb of 44.19

Could not fault the organisation given the numbers involved

• Options

Brilliant day and ditto organisation comments.  PB of 57.21 for me, I was in the blue but jumped the railings into the white which was a good job given that some of them were already walking early on and there was a lot of weaving about to do - it was still brill though.  Personal breakdown of the race is very interesting and useful, more work to do mid section. 

• Options
    Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭

Yeah was a very well organised event. I ran 47.53 but have had ITBS for the past 2 months so have hardly run at all and only managed swimming and cycling mainly. The course wasnt as congested as I thought it would be but you do have to concentrate more to avoid people and bottles on the course. Great support as well!!

I think you can pre-register for next years event meaning that they email you with the date when the entries are open for 2010 so you dont miss out by forgetting etc.

• Options
    Is this race a ballot? or is it first come first served, I ask as I was discussing it when I saw it on TV and was sure it was a Ballot like FLM.
  • Options
    Sorry should have read all the thread! well done everyoneimage
  • Options
     I saw that on TV saying it was a ballot. It was first come first served last year but it filled up a lot quicker this year than in previous years so they might have made it a ballot for 2010.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

My 4th Manc 10k. Did it in 43.12  - nearly died about the 6k mark - and then there was the wind!

Manchester 10k is a very well organised event - it is first come first serve, and fills up quicky in January sometime when tickets go on sale. You can register somewhere so you get an email reminder. If you miss out there are plenty of charities you can run for - need to raise about £150 usually.

Sorry to hear previous poster about spraining ankle on bottle of water - they need to get rid of that and just hand out paper cups of water. Too dangerous.

• Options

i was in the orange wave, and managed a new pb of 41:30 

was in the top 460 - something i never thought i would manage!

seriously considering joining a club now...any club members here think i would be OK to join one? i've been "umming" and "aahing" because i didn't think i would be fast enough, but i think this has proven to me that i possibly am?

• Options

Well done everyone!

New PB of 38.11. I was hoping to get under 38 but struggled with the wind on the way back in to the city centre.

Was in the Orange A wave so got a fairly good start myself. There were lots of people without A numbers in there as well which isn't really fair on the other runners but it didn't seem to slow me down too much.

A friend of mine started at the back of the orange wave and said it was crowded the whole way round. Perhaps they could introduce an extra wave next year or at least police the start a bit better to ensure people stay in the correct waves (with the exception of SA of course!).

Another friend of mine sprained his ankle on a bottle at around the 7km mark. I think plastic cups should definitely be introduced next year.

The above points aside I thought the race was very well organised and I thoroughly enjoyed it and am already looking forward to next year.

• Options

Mark - are you kidding?? With that time you are DEFINATELY fast enough to join a club.

I joined mine and I only run at 10min miles. To be fair, the men are a LOT better than the women in my club but there are loads of men who run at 7/8min miles.

You'd be great in a club - go for it!

• Options
    I think a ballot is a bad idea unless it's the London Marathon personally. Managed a time of 41:58 beating my previous time by 2.5 mins plus, so I was very pleased. The course wasn't as good this year though - what happened to the Quays? or the ramp finish at G-mex?
  • Options
    Mark , like ploddinglady said with a time like that you should join a club . They are not just for the fast runners most clubs cater for all abilities . Join one and you will soon reap the benefits . image
  • Options

mark _ i'm in a club and I just did yesterdays race at 1:07:58.  Your definately fast enough

• Options
    Kevin1 - I think the course was changed to avoid congestion - I was very happy not having to run under Castle Greyskull anyway. Did find that extra stretch a bit depressing though. Not sure about a GMEX finish though, I've only done it the last 3 years but that's always been on Deansgate.
    43.42 for me, new PB but I was hoping for nearer 40, felt harder then before all the way around. Good atmosphere again. Dreading the photos.
  • Options
     I agree Midnight Rambler! I should be exempt from the waves and just be allowed to choose image. Im sure when I went to pick my pack up on Saturday that the woman just picked a pack at random out of the box without checking my estimated running time!
  • Options
    I think the wind almost certainly slowed everyone down, I certainly found it tough going around 5-6km. I guess you're right about the congestion but I thought the whole Munich Tunnel and Quays part made the race more interesting.
  • Options
     Well they said the winners of both the mens and womens elite races were a minute slower through the second 5k due to the wind.
  • Options
    that would give me a time 37.11 so i'll go along with that!
  • Options
    I want to know how Usain Bolt got a tailwind going the same way up Deansgate everybody else did when we all got a headwind.
    Bloody favouritism.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

When you run races like this - makes you realise how good the real top athletes like Haile Gebrselassieis are. Running it in 27.25 - that's running over 22km/h! So impressive.