Bupa 10K Great Manchester Run

12346»

Comments

• Does anyone know what time you have to achieve to qulaify for an "A" number?
  • I think it woudl help though if people put down realistic times though.  I was in whiles and saw people walking after 500m.  It is very frustrating people putting down times just to get in a faster group when they have no realistic chance of keeping up!

Must admit though there were less than in previous years.  Although it was busy all the way round it was at least managable after the first 1km.

• Was in the pink wave and was a bit fed up to see going up past the 3 km mark to see tonnes of pinks back on the opposite carrage way.  Not really fair, 
  • But on the other hand it gave me more space to run
  • Totally off the point, but:

I TOUCHED USAIN BOLT!!! THAT MAN IS SOOOO FAST!!!

• Kevin

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that the A numbers are for sub 40 times.

• I was in the pink wave and finished in 1hr 4mins and 40 secs which is a bit disappointing for me I think. I did last years Liverpool 10k in 1hr 7mins with hardly any training and I did do a bit of training for this run. I also did a bit of walking during the Liverpool 10k whereas on Sunday I ran the whole way and didn't stop once, yet only shaved 3 mins off my PB image

Still, it's a new PB and I'm really pleased with myself for not walking at any point and just pushing myself to keep running. I got a stitch around 8km and I felt gutted, I just kept trying to take deep breathes and it cleared up not long after fortunately!

It was really busy at the start though, took a while to get some space and a lot of dodging around during the run.

Great day and really enjoyed myself image

• I don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to see a full set of results for this years (2009) Bupa 10k Great Manchester Run? I've gone to the Great run website and typed in my race number but whilst it gives me my times and position / place it doesn't state how many people were actually in the group(s). The only one that I can glean any usefull information from is my overall position of 7271, if there were 33,000 runners then that would place me in the first 22%. I'm particularly interested in my position in my age group (50 to 54) but it only states that my position in my age group is 266, but 266 out of how many??? for all I know I could have been last in my age group??

I used to be a decentish runner when I was younger then got a job "on the road" with all expenses paid, I got really fat and lazy but then a few years ago (mid life crisis time) I saw my looming 50th birthday and gently took up running & cycling & walking & motorbiking. I lost loads of weight and was doing well with the running but then the stupid motorbike decided to fall over on me one day and I broke my Tibula/Fibula? or whatever it's called. I had to have my ankle pinned (and still have them in now) I was laid up for months and thought that was the end of my running days, but I managed to get running again about 18 months since and really try to push myself.

SO, ANYWAY - why am I telling you all this? Because I wonder why is it that other people who had entered into the race must have stated that they expected to do the run under the hour, they were then put into the Blue Wave. After less than a mile or so many of these "Runners" were then stopping / walking and holding up us more committed Runners.I spent the first half of the run jumping up and down kerbs and zigzagging across the groups trying to maintain my speed because there were so many people going so slow and holding people up.

Obviously I'm pleased that more and more people are trying to keep themselves fit and "big ticket" runs like the Great Manchester Runs attract more people year on year but why can't the newbies be more realistic with their proposed running times for the sake of everybody taking part?

Anyway, enough ranting! It really must be an age thing! I don't Bloody Believe it!

Enjoy your running!

• Definately understand your frustration Kevin.  I was in the pink wave and I had to dodge people walking after less than half a mile out from the start and I ain't that fast myself.  I think this is the "one to do" and i think a lot of people jus totally underestimate what they are capable of and what they need to do to sucessfully complete it. What I found unsettling was that I was overtaking the walkers and then faster runners were over taking me so you really had to be very aware of who was around you.  I had the opposite problem, when I entered in January, I only had one 10km to compare with so I put down 75mins finish time which I what I did previously.  Yet i got to March and knew I was capable of 70.  So I rang up and tried to change and was told I could only do this if I could prove it. So I though arrg too much hassle.  Yet since then I've progressively ran faster.  70mins at Derby in April and then 67min 58 sec in manchester.  I've done it now to tick the box so to speak but I don't think I'll be entering again next year.
  • I came on here the night of the race, and was going to post how congested I found it - but decided against it after reading the first few posts and thought I must have just been unlucky with where I started. I've done this race for the past 3 years, and definately think this year was the worst for it...

However, it was the first 10k I ever did, and I really do enjoy it. I always go with the mind set of just running it to enjoy the atmosphere, and don't really concentrate on times, so I'll probably be back next year - although its starting to verge on the very expensive side of things.

• Kevin, maybe you are using the quick results page?

Try Results.

• nutty - just figured out who you are! I'm in your club - will probably see you tonight!

When will they publish photos from Manchester run? Imagine it must take days and days to sort through them all...

• not about tonight - legs knackered
  • Nutty, don't suppose you're liverlass from the AFC Liverpool forums?
  • Forgot to add, the way I broke my positions down was I got my results for each filter from my race number, then did an open search for each category and at the bottom it says how many results found, so I just took that as being how many people there were in each category.

Overall 1928/ 26983

Female  133/ 11922

Age 1258 / 14610

Age and Gender  90/ 6716

• I know what everyone means about the congestion!

I was being realistic when I applied for the race as I have never taken part in any event before.

I was therfore in the pink wave... People were walking after 200M One woman hit me sideways whilst programming her iPod and at one point a whole crowd of women were walking with arms linked taking up about 3/4 of the road!image

I only managed 1:14 due to 2 huge blisters at the 5K point (I wont be using elastic laces again).

But I'm so happy I finished & only slowed below a jog twice.

I'll be back next year.

Keith

• Cheers Kelly for the info on how to break down the category's.

Looks like you did pretty good! I'd be very proud of those places!

It certainly wasn't you getting in the way was it!

• DagsJT - nope not Liverlass on the AFC LIverpool forums
  • Yes, I was very happy - and stunned! I was a week into my marathon taper so obviously the extra rest is working.

If anyone wants to improve their times, try marathon training image. Even though I haven't ran one yet - next Sunday, panic - it has taken 5 mins off my 10k time and 7 mins off my half time in 3 months and I think still room for improvement.

Although I do mostly smaller races now, I still love the razzmatazz of the Bupa runs. Can't wait to tackle the GNR again.

• Kaysdee - I'm guessing your doing Edinburgh?? - If so, same here!

Get very nervous now - first time for me as well. image

But completely agree with training for longer distances. I've run a 52 min 10k as part of my marathon training, and that wasn't going full pelt. I reckon I could go sub 50 mins with a good day, and that coming a year after running approx 1 hr 10ks!

• The photos are now up on http://media.greatrun.org - looks like they were taken near the finish. Mine look like I'm about to collapse with exhaustion.
  • Moving Along, Yes, Edinburgh. I know they said race packs would be here *by* Saturday, but didn't think they would cut it this fine. No-one I know has one. I'm nervous, but just can't wait to get it over with really. Getting bored! Well done on the improvement. It feels a bit surreal doesn't it as the cut in time doesn't seem proportionate to the amount of effort it takes. It felt no harder than a previous 50 minute pb back in November.Right, when's my next marathon... image

Bupa ignored me again. Didn't get any for the GNR and din't get any here. Boo Hoo.

• Website is being hammered at the moment image
  • Apparantly there aren't any photos for my runner number image
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    None for me either. I think if we look again in a day or so, they may have some.  
  • Can anyone view their pictures? I've been getting site is busy try again for hours now.

• It kinda worked last night but didn't show pics for a lot of numbers I randomly tried. This morning they've put up that blue screen with the message though.
  • the pictures this year are rubbish, what happened to all the other photographers on the way round.  there used to be loads. 
  • I can take better running photos than those uploaded.  Mine has got the top of my head chopped off