Men in tights

Comments

• Real men run in the cold, so they should wear tights to save their legs.  I always wear shorts on top tho.
  • Tights are great.  They keep everything secure and warm. 

OK they are a little revelling but a long t-shirt covers most and if you need shorts over the top...  You are worried because you are lacking,,,

• I think tights are having a big big comback for men - for a very basic start you  could take a look at www.legwear4men.co.uk or something similar
  • Tights are for softies and posers, cos i swear some of um shove an egg box and a piece of hose pipe down the front to show off  image

• an egg box? I don't want anyone thinking I have 6 free range testicles!
  • What is wrong, or indeed rght, about them, is surely down to the bloke wearing them

Well, when I am following them, anyway image

• Do you prefer fishnets, seamed or opaque black?

Choose carefully!
  • navy blue and opaque, still wear shorts on top!
  • these thingsa re not designed to wear shorts on top.! This has all come about because men are enbarressed and just because fottballers wear shorts on top, but that's because the shorts are part of their kit, so they have to.
  • this is so funny....

if this forum cannot get over men in tights or any compression clothing in general, there will never be a time men will run in brief-cut "swim trunks", like those worn by professional women athletes. Actually brief-cut tights (or speedos) serve all the running functions we're looking for - supportive, best surrogate to compression clothings, dry fit, cooling and very flexible. It can double up as a swimwear in x-trainings!

there seems to be a disconnection between triathletes and runners when it comes to interpreting "soft", "girlie" and "sexiness" in attire. all triathletes are runners but not all runners are triathletes. Why not overcome and reconcile our interpretation of running "fashion faux pas" by learning from the triathletes?

What works for them, works for us. No questions are raised among triathletes if compression clothing should be worn. they just have to be.

I'm all for compression and have no qualms wearing tights. In fact I just bought the new Skins ICE and will be wearing it in the next race. And they are in WHITE.

• So why didn't you buy some brief cut speedos and breakdown the barriers?
  • i am just conforming to "standards". let me start with a pair of white skins and slowly reduce it in length so people can slowly accept it.image
  • Hi all

Whilst out and about today I happened to pass a male runner, and he was wearing tights. They were very similar to a pair of capris that I have recently purchased for running. I must admit that I had to avert my eyes but this was more for the reason that he actually look a damned site better in them then I ever could and not because of the 'jumping giblet' situation. image

• Its easier on holiday especially somewhere hot. There I can go for a run in just swimming trunks without feeling self concious. At the end of my run I have a shower and jump in the pool. Just does not feel same back in the UK.
  • Don't forget to let us know how your running goes in the ICE white gear...when it rains! Beware!!
  • i was running in my White Skins ICE half tights today in Hyde Park. I felt nice and it was drizzling. Not until I was soaked. Unfortunately it wasn't see throughimage. I think i have to stretch it hard enough to make it see through or if not, let it age, like any other tights, will become see through.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Men in tights, been around since Robin Hood. Not a problem. Functional and fit for purpose, nuff saidimage
  • what do people say about guys in white tights then? is it "socially conforming?"
  • Sorry but I agree that men who wear tights with shorts on top look ridiculous (and do probably have willie-size issues!)

I swear by running tights because:

1) I am an overweight guy, and chaffing ALWAYS happens with non-tight-type shorts. After the first two times this happened, I swallowed my pride and tried running tights, and now no chaffing!

2) It's so nice to finish a run and be not chaffed so that you can run again tomorrow!

3) Speed! I find that if I wear normal non-tight shorts I feel that I can be lazy and I walk much more during the run, whereas if I wear tight-type running shorts I feel like a lazy idiot walking in them, so I walk much less during my run and make more of an effort to run, getting more exercise out of my running session.

4) Compliments, verbal or implied: although I'm still Rubenesque, when I wear the tight shorts I get spoken compliments from men and women during the run, as well as the appreciative glance or two, which is a nice ego boost/nice motivation to keep on running, even when it's chucking down with rain or snow.

And I do wear them "commando", because wearing undies under the running tights just brings back the chaffing.

• Omar,

Point 3 draws my attention. Sounds like this is purely psychological. Was it because you were conscious that wearing tights makes you feel "professional" and you shouldn't walk? Or is it because of the compression from the tights makes you feel more comfortable running than walking? Am interested to hear your explanation!image

• Hey runningpro101, good question: Yep, indeed it's psychological, and I would say it's due to "constructive embarrassment":

If I'm in the middle of my local park WALKING in my lycra shorts and sporty shirt, I feel like I got lost when headed to one of the wilder clubs on Manchester's Canal Street, so I feel that the people who walk by would think "What's that fat bloke doing 20 miles from Manchester??"

(Don't get me wrong, as a gay man I love Canal Street, but running gear aside my clothing tends to run to the sedate!)

On the other hand, if I'm running in my lycra, I feel that people see the outfit in context and understand I'm not some lost clubber… and I do really love to see people's faces when they see me run… as if they saw an elephant being as gracile as a smaller animal image

(I will change my username to something more interesting: "FestinoLento"!)

• Wonder if the ladies feel embarassed walking in their running gear.image
  • why should anyone feel embarassed walking in tights? Is it because it's tight and showing too much in shape and size? i just don't bother and i wear white anyway.

• I just don't want people to think I'm lazy, as I'm "resigned" to the fact that whether running or walking, people are gonna see my "aerodynamic" parts (I'm more embarrased about ensuring I don't show any moobage imageimage

But I do wear white too, it's a cool color for lycra I think, and makes it easier to see me when I'm jogging in the dark winter and trying to not startle anyone walking in the park who is too busy ipoding to hear me approach!

• I feel a little self conscious walking in my tights but I also feel self conscious running in my tights when passing men and queues of traffic due to my backside developing its own sense of rhythm whilst running.
  • running pro - are white tights one taboo too far, or do we just need to see more of them? I'm always surprised that more running gear isn't white for visibility purposes - but the ICE whites are minty cool for summer, as I understand? Shame, as white winter tights make perfect sense to me.

Festino, I agree - I've been running with friends in cargo shorts and even converse all stars, and  they think nothing of stopping and completing the route as a walk. As I'm all togged up, walking just doesn't feel an option!

• Jogging??:  Generally people associate body hugging attire as being "gay". Not sure why this is so. Probably started by envious people who don't have a body to show off? or...gays used to wear body hugging attire?image

But we move on with time. Swimmers, runners, footballers, rugby players etc are all acknowledging the associated benefits with compression clothings. Like it or not, sports attire are moving towards the direction of a leaner, fitter and more compressed look than we've ever seen before. White is probably a colour people associate with becoming "too sexy" as some could be see through. In some cases, this may be true because it's a base of any colour. But with sufficient lining under, this should not be a problem.

Actually my white Skins is a little see through. I have tried both options of wearing something and nothing under. I found that wearing nothing under is better than wearing something because white accentuates the colour and outline of the underwear. Wearing nothing does not give this problem because it's just showing a seamless tone of the Skins. It's the line and colour of the underwear that is loud out from the white, not the white.

But I needed support in front and not the back, so i wear a thong. The back thong line can be seen visibly under the white Skins but my running vest covers this part very well. It's only on the upper half of the butt. So I don't have a problem with people seeing me in thongs from the back unless I lift up the vest from the back. The lower half of the butt is still a seamless tone of the Skins, which is brilliant.

I will still choose the white Skins anytime. It gives me this "excitement" of trying to remain discreet and not seen in my sexy underwear and at the same time only expecting it hidden by the vest which can go out of position at anytime before, during or after the run. I have seen runners in white Skins but not sure how they play with their wear.image

• Hey runningpro101, you're very right about "moving on with time". I've seen how in some teams the latest rugby shirts are much more body-hugging, which luckily weren't available back when I played rugby about 13 years ago (fat guy + body-hugging shirt = sausage!)

However, I do have double standards about white running clothing: I love seeing guys in it and don't mind/I love if it's a little "too sexy" on a guy, but I do mind if *I* show too much (I'm trying to prevent lost lunches by other runners image

But I've found that running "commando" is the best way to go, not only to avoid stupid-looking underwear lines, but also because it's more comfortable but... I've actually also run in a kilt while going commando, and while it's a nice feeling, it's a tad less comfortable than going commando in lycra, as there's too much "swingage".

It's funny though, as whether fat or skinny, I don't mind seeing people of all shapes/sizes running in my local park, because they're making the effort to run/they're "sharing the pain" with me. Misery loves company? image

• i just came back from running. Was running in Hyde Park and Green Park. I saw another person, a young Chinese boy also wearing the same White Skins half tights! Wow! We smiled as we passed each other. He looked really sexy in them. Extremely happy to see another White Skins runner!image And hope to see more of you soon.