Eyam Half-Marathon

Who fancies a nice hilly challenge?

Comments

• Call that race hilly ? try buxton half or liversedge half! compare too them 2 eyam is FLAT!
  • I've not done Liversedge but I was a few minutes quicker at Buxton last year than I was at Eyam the week before.
  • I did Liversedge this year - it was hilly but actually doable (if you are used to road hills). I heard the eyams one was difficult but might be tempted if it is no worse than liversedge.
  • I was 2 and a half minutes quicker at Buxton than Eyam, maybe it was the gale that was blowing at Buxton that carried me along!

Don't think I will be in a fit state for Eyam this year as it's the day after the White Peak mara, but definately on for Buxton.

• In a moment of madness I have entered this Eyam half marathon.....never done it before, I have a few questions though.

For anybody who has done it before, how much slower is your time for Eyam half, than your average flat-ish half marathon, ie - how much slower will I be at Eyam, 10 minutes, 15, minutes more??

Am I right in thinking the first two miles are uphill?!?!?!  How steep is the first hill?!?!?!?!

Then from mile 3 to 9 its flat or downhill?  Then mile 9 to 11 there is a monster hill yes...what % gradient??

Sounds a bit scary when I type it out image

• Rick, I did Eyam last year in 1.59.54 (quite an important 6 seconds there) and later on in the summer I did Newark in 1.45.xx on a practically flat course. I'd not been doing so much running on hills before Eyam last year. I think something like 10 minutes slower would be more accurate for me now.

On the last hill I'm farily certain I saw a road sign indicating a 10% gradient at some point. I don't think it was that steep all the way though. I don't really remember the first hill being that steep. The last mile is all down hill though and is quick. I think I went from 12 min/miles for the previous two miles to under 7min/mile for the last one.

• Rick, if I can help at all. Eyam is my favourite half. I've done it about half

a dozen times or so.

To give you some idea how it is, the first water station is situated at about 1 mile.

How many races do you know where that happens?

With regard to the 'monster hill' dont worry, it isn't. It's not that bad.

It is more to do with where it is situated on the course. By the time you get there

at 9.5 mile, you will have been up far tougher ones on the course.

Its just that by that stage your eyes will be telling you 'no problem boss,

we've done worse', but your legs will telling you something else!

• Well I have entered so we will see how I go, thanks for the confidence boost!!!!

Actually I am supposed to be doing Sheffield first next weekend, but am struggling with my glutes!

• hi,

I've just entered  this as my first ever organised event as I missed out (again) on entries for the Sheffield half marathon. Looking forward to it, although I'm a bit worried about the hill at the end - there's a hill that starts about a mile from my house that is about as high (but twice as steep) as the last hill on the Eyam course so I'm off to run that tomorrow. 

By the way, I found a map of the route on a website that I've found quite useful:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/eyam/371793826466

If anyone in Sheffield is up for some hill-based training please PM me

• Rick - My Eyam Half time is 9 minutes slower than my Sheffield Half time, if that's any help.  Eyam definitely isn't a PB course, but I'd give it 10 out of 10 for sheer enjoyment.  If you love running, you'll love the Eyam Half.  No air pollution, no traffic fumes (coz there's no traffic - and that's despite the fact that there are no road closures!), just lovely people, beautiful scenery and a tremendous sense of achievement as you cross the finish line.  Oh, and fab pubs in the village for a post-race pint & pie!  And the weather is always warm and sunny by lunchtime, once the run has finished and you're sat in a pub beer garden.
  • Anyone know if entries still being taken for this beast?

Cheers

BRimage

• Does anyone know about entry limit for this event?

Cheers

BR

• Brer Rabbit - The Eyam Half Marathon website was updated this morning.  It says "around 500 entries", and that entries are still being taken.

When I entered a week ago there were approx. 90 places left.  Dunno how many are left now.

I'd get your skates on if I were you.  Go on, you know you want to.

• Cheers Sheffield Shaggy, actually sent form on Sunday but havent heard anything so I assume I am in. Best get ye old trainers on and go do a few hills thenimage Did you do Sheffield on Sunday? Nice morning but phew if it is much hotter than that for Eyam, I reckon I'll add about 30 mins to my time-but hey, there's a pub at the end!
  • I smashed out 81 minutes and 29 seconds for Sheffield and was well delighted with that..........despite suffering with a pulled glue..........!!!

Eyam is starting to scare me.........ha ha

• Rick - if you can run Sheffield in 81 minutes, then Eyam should hold no fear for you.  Last Sunday, I would have been somewhere back at around the 11.5 mile mark when you were crossing the finishing line - respect!
  • yes, but somebody on this site, will have been finished when I was 11.5 mile mark, so it's relative.

Although I was very pleased with my time, way better than I predicted (1 25).......Eyam looks scary...too many hills...... image((((

Sheffield is a very fast course though?  I must admit it was not as easy course as I thought...not hard either......but would not have said it's a very fast course, or am I wrong?

• Ive just sent my entry off for this. Its sounds a scary race but what are the views like?
  • How would anyone compare this with the Humber Bridge Half? There is a horrid hill after 9.5 on the HB too!  Would appreciate some info
  • dunno, but I am doing both, great image !
  • I think the numbers are been posted out, mine is 470 something so there is a few of us going to be there image
  • Unfortunately having been injured recently this has come a little too soon for me image but I am looking at doing Buxton (the week after???) so good luck to you all and have an enjoyable run image
  • 473 image

Are our lungs going to bleed running this
  • I have done Eyam twice (missed last year) as well as Humber Bridge and Liversedge Half Marathon.  I hated Liversedge this year but had had 2 weeks off due to the snow.  Eyam is probably the toughest but by far the nicest and there are big down hill bits.  I usually take about 10 mins longer than doing Sheffield but got a pb for Sheffield last month and am fitter than last time i did Eyam (due to training for Edinburgh Marathon) and actually live up a steep hill now so hills are not as scarey. So I have no excuse not to do a decent time.     

• brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

How's the hill training going everyone?

BR

I believe so DM..or is it just a rumour....? Please can someone nip over and iron them out?

Ta

• I heard a rumour that there is a slight hill at the beginning for 300yards and its either all downhill or flat afterwards. Guaranteed a pb course. image

Now then DM-I is thinking you have the wrong idea-I am planning on taking a thermos and butties just in case-oh and a camera. At least I can have sit down after the hillsimage

BR

• ha ha. Maybe a winch or a pully system for the 12 miles uphill and a skateboard for the last?