Options

How far will 20 - 25mpw get me?

13»

Comments

• Options

Stefan your not the worst runner by any means, think a few runners would kill to achieve your times!
    Your 5k is super quick too! What training you done to achieve those? We should be asking you for advice image

Maybe your not improving too much because you've got to that standard where it is very tough to improve. A lot of runners will get to the 17 minute 5k mark and then progression from there is very slow until they really train specifically for a certain event.

Wait for Yifter, he'll give you some very good advice!

• Options
    Twixbar - yeh i'm chuffed with those times don't get me wrong, and as you said once u get to a certain level, it gets very hard to improve! Thats what drew me to this thread, is more mileage the key!
  • Options
    MartyB, sounds very interesting. But you have no excuse to your good times, gym and cyclings improves cv which will help with your aerobic capactiy. Circuit training is immense aswell, but maybe some try to avoid it... it's so tough and you really have to be in the mood to do something like that.
  • Options
    Twixbar - my program was fairly similar to what i posted a few posts back.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Yep, circuit training can be brutal, a great way to end my Monday!
  • Options

Well it only seems as more miliage is the key. Thats what all is talked about - miliage.
    Ask Squall from his experience. Read his thread about the sub 40 Eastleigh 10k and you'll see that he raised his miliage by quite a bit and he smashed his target for that race! All he done was raise the milage and it worked for him, but then again I've come across runners who are getting very quick times and they focus a lot on speed work. Everyone is different and like MW said, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Best not to ask me for advice though, I'm still in the learning curve!

• Options

Done easy 6.4 mile run @ 8:10 pace. I say easy, towards the end I could feel it in the legs a bit. Hot weather is making it more tougher than I thought. Where is the rain when you need it?

Tommorow looking to do something short but tough, give the legs a bit of rest.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Twixbar - it takes a while to get used to warmer conditions. Just persevere. I used to hate running when it was hot but i've gotten used to it.

The first hot spot of the year i find it takes me a few weeks to get warmed up if you pardon the pun. Then i don't mind it at all. If anything its the humidity thats the killer. Try and do some of the training when its warm but take the usual advice making sure you are well hydrated beforehand. After all come race day it might be warm but it will be the same for everyone else
  • Options
    I've ran in Africa before, a lot hotter! Though it doesn't feel as bad because the air is fresher and cleaner. Here in England it's so humid, just zaps it right out of you!
  • Options

Done 1600m @ 6:20 target pace with 1:30 target recovery

Unfortunately my times were all over the place

Split 1 - 6:12 (1:43 recovery)
    Split 2 - 6:20 (1:38 recovery)
    Split 3 - 6:25 (finished)

Including my recoveries, an average pace over 3.35 miles made the average pace to be 6:44 but without the recoveries the average pace would have been about 6:18

The steady miliage I've been doing lately has done good for my leg strenght though my aerobic capacity still needs a lot of work on.

Have not got any races coming up, don't want any for now either. My focus is to improve, then race. Or should I be racing?

• Options
    Improve then race... spend 4-5 months getting in as many miles as you can (and enter a couple of races in that time to keep you sharp, if you fancy).
  • Options

Rest day tommorow. Not feeling tired but one rest day a week for myself will be essential for recovery. Think on Saturday it'll be a 40 minute run, 10 minutes warm up, 20 minutes @ 6:50 - 7:10 pace and then finish off with 10 minutes warm down.

Where has Yifter gone? All his good advice.........image