Leicester City Marathon 2009

Comments

• KR, well done in the half. I will be doing London as well. I am just intending on staying fit through the winter, do the XC season and start marathon training again in January. My half marathon PBs have all happened when marathon training - actually I've never done one outside of marathon training image

I think I'll also try and get in some races between now and new year to benefit from the marathon endurance.

XC is great marathon training if you get a chance. Builds great strength, power and mental endurance.

Owl

• Any sign of any photos yet?
  • Hi all, some superb times (too quick for me). I noticed several photos on the following site-

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/

Just scroll down and look under 'latest pictures' on the right hand side.

• Well Done everyone. Some great times.image

Thanks so much to all the marshalls etc. Some of the people were so friendly I couldn't help smiling all the way round- especially a man at just after 22 who was the most encouraging man ever- thank you!

My virgin marathon attempt is done- and I LOVED it. I was aiming for 4.10-4.15 as my training was the bare minimum (10 weeks, 3 sessions a week and only one 20 miler)- I did a massive negative split and finished in 4.01 with a 8.16 last mile up that nasty hill. Im on top of the world today!! image And the legs are not bad at all. Can do stairs up and down with almost normal walking action!

Now going to the events page to select the next challange.

Well done everyone and enjoy the rest.

AC

• Great course with a mix of scenary. I was really impressed with the cadets on the water stations-very efficient. Good marshalling overall. Free high 5 drinks and a mix of different lucozade sports at the start of the race was also a massive and very generous bonus. One negative..... seeing all the spectators at the start tucking into jumbo hot dogs and burgers.......very jealous! Got round in 3 hrs 32 mins so pleased with my time as I expected a time of 3 hrs 45 ish.

Can anyone help? At the end of the race, leaflets were handed out with details of the website for photos taken at the finish line. Unfortunately I lost the leaflet so does anyone have the details. Many thanks in advance and well done to all.

• kelburn- website for the photos www.a-w-p.com not on yet but hopefully tomorrow
  • Many thanks Blake, much appreciated.
  • Ey-up all,

second year at Leicester and second marathon in around a month (Robin Hood in Sept), felt strong but at about mile 18 I lost a bit of pace, still had plenty in the tank but not the pace, managed to get in at 3:23 (Garmin) so a pb by about a minute.

Really well organised race again and good to see the medal improved a lot, also intrigued at that new hi 5 gel, it was like juice albeit very sticky, really impressed.

Birmingham Owl, my real goal is to get 3:15 to qualify for Boston, what kind of mileage are you cloking up per week to get sub 3:10, also how many marathons have you run - pleased with three sub 3:30 marathons this year but really thought I might have cracked it after a 3:25 in Edinburgh this May.

Cheers all and well done on some good running.

Mick and Phil saw you tearing around the park ealry doors, were you setting up for a pb - you were flying lads!

• hey blake it was in fact a white vest. Not sure if due to me swearing etc it made it look yellow!

I did go for a sprint finish tho miraculously!

• Hi Jaseyshef,

I don't do anything special. It was my fifth marathon and I usually do the runners world 3.15 or 3.30 schedule. I have 2 young children which means time is at a premium so I top off at just over 50 miles.

If I was to offer any advice it would be 

1) join a club - you can see progression and motivation

2) if you are good at short distances then train for long distances, if you are good at long distances work on speed and do more short races.

3) Do XC - 6 miles in the mud is 10 miles in normal money

4) have a reasonable rest before starting training again. 3 marathons in a year is a lot. I think you may need to let you body rebuild it a bit more.

5) make sure you mix up your sessions

My marathon times have gone 3.39, 3.21, 3.20, 3.04, 3.07

I seemed to make a massive jump in all my times a couple of months after my last 3.20 but I am not sure what to put that down to. Maybe it was staying injury free and benefiting from the endurance.

Owl

• Well after my inital moaning on this thread about not having my number arrive in the post (it came Monday!) I would say a big up to the organisation at this race which was first class in osrting out me and the others in the same boat, well done very smooth.

My first Marathon was one to remember, went out way to fast, had to slow down (a lot) and my legs were struggling at 19 miles (which was worse than any of my traning runs) I put this down to my 45 mins for my footy team I was going to have on Saturday turning into 80 mins, as we never had enought players! Idiot! By 21 my hips were hurting (again from falling over from playing footy!)

Thought the marshall were top class all around, although it was naughty of one of them to be eating a lovely smelling McDonalds at about 18 miles! Harsh! Also many thanks to the women handing out wine gums when the course rejoined the half marathon route!

I was aming for less than 4 hours for my first go at this distance and managed it at 1.57. However this look dubious as with one mile to go and "plenty" of time to go to beat 4 hours, I thought my hammy had gone, just at the start of that up hill section... I fell down in agony with what turned out to be the worst cramp I have ever had, a min or two of streching sorted it and all I got was funny looks off the passing shoppers as I sat cursing my luck.

Anyway well done to everyone who got around in what ever time, and thanks to the two guys I met and ran with for a bit going around, never caught there names but one was from Norwich and one was from South Arfrica (I think), doing his second marathon and suffering through the park land area. You both helped me get through a couple of rough patches.

My one and only gripe was the lack of support for a city of this size, was really bad I thought, no reflection on how the event was run, but on the people of the city, both the Notts HM and Reading Hm i have done were much better supported by the local people, and hopefully the people of Leicester will get behind this event as it evolves

• Sorry about the lack of local support, seems like the people of "sporting Leicester" are not into running.

Anyway, the chip times are now on the web site. Apologies for the delay, we had to work yesterday and were totally k*******d when we got home.

As some of you know this marathon is organised and marshalled by volunteers, the only "paid" official is the Race Director who is paid by the charity to be their chief fund raiser, he now has to move on to their next event, bonfire night which raises far more money and takes much less trouble than the marathon. The web site is done by my wife, Angie, who is at work again today which is why I uploaded the chip times. Just having a bit of verbal diarrhoea as I feel a bit low after the event and from the few people with negative comments about the race. When I read some I wonder if they were in the same race and no matter how many positive comments we get it always hurts to be criticised. I have to keep coming back to this thread to cheer myself up again! Thanks for that and glad you all enjoyed it.

• Bob - I thought this race was marvellous - a true 'runners' marathon. I ran in 2007, and thought the altered course this year was much improved (and I didn't think the old one was that bad!). Had a wonderful day, and the organisation was faultless - tell the cadets their yells of 'High 5' were welcome (and had me giggling a bit by the end, they were so earnest). This was my 2nd marathon (only ever run Leicester) and I intend to be back for more image Yes, the support from the locals was a bit thin on the ground in the city centre - probably the weather - but support in the villages was much better than expected. Brilliant stuff. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
  • Hi Bob Just to echo previous comments that overall it was an excellant race!

With regards to the support i can only speak from my point of view and it was not great when coming into the city. Although coming in at around 4.30 i was pretty much on my own and i was generally walking by that stage. I dont think i would fancy staying around much if there was just one or two stragglers left!

Also the organisation was very good but it generally felt like a small local event compared to all the ones i have done in Leeds city centre but these tend to have numerous big sponsors lined up. I have no knowledge of organising an event what so ever but i guess big sponsors help tremendously with funding and faciltities etc?

• Agreed, B.P.

Bob, I was shocked by some of the carping. I thought it was a terrific race and that everyone had done a great job. My brother ran the marathon too, and my brother-in-law the half, and both had nothing but praise. I think some people have no idea what event organisation involves, or assume that you have a vast staff of well-resourced  full-timers. The marshalls and volunteers were all lovely. You (and your wife) should be knocking back champagne and delighting in the success of the event.

In the end anyway, people vote with their feet. Given the vast increase in numbers since last year, I would say you must be getting something right.

• The best day ever cheers bob and team
    Dont worry 99.9% of people have said great stuff which it was you always get someone moaning about something its the world we live in.
    I will be back next year 100% and already hoping to beat this years time 4.40
  • Hi Bob, just wanted to say thanks to you and all concerned in organising this event.  It was my first half and I thoroughly enjoyed the day, lovely course, lots of friendly supportive marshalls, no problems at all in fact. Am looking forward to next year and may try for the marathon.
  • I think some people want the moon on a stick. Well done for all your work Bob. I think some people are used to FLM with water stations every mile and people cheering everywhere.  One of my favourite events is the Ashby 20 which is faultless. It has everything a runner needs rather than lots of bells and whistles. You have got it running fine and I think the fact you have been on here is a great credit.

There are things that can be improved like many events but they are minor in the end.

Well done Bob and many thanks.

P.S. any chance of flattening new walk?

• Here here to the hard work and effort put in by Bob and the team for organising this race.  I can't wait to run it again next year now I have got my senses back!!!

My goals now are to join a club and build on the training I did for this marathon.  I will use the next year to run 10Ks, half marathons and whatever else the club has in it's calendar to get stronger as a runner.  I am doing the Barnsley 10K in a month which should be a nice distance to "ease" back into the training with.

Thanks again Bob.

• Bob,

I echo what some of the others have said. I had a gd race (2.46 and PB) but just missed my target dropping off in the last couple of miles.

Having run quite a few local marathons, Cardiff, Abingdon, Luton and Edinburgh back in the day, your event was without a doubt the best marshalled race I have run in.

You and everyone involved should be very proud.

Cheers

Ode

• Hello Bob,

I also congratulate you and your team on a most enjoyable event. I agree with BunnyP that the rise in numbers is a true indication of what people feel - I'm sure next year it will grow further in popularity. As it does this, so will the audience increase. There was ample support during Sunday's half.

I'm a novice at running and didn't know the event existed, until witnessing the race through Birstall village last year. This inspired me to take part.

I also feel that the underpass, flyover and New Walk etc. all add to the variety of the route, along with the obvious delights of Watermead and Abbey Park.

PS -  I'd love to join your club but would find it difficult to work around my nightshifts.

• I think its a great course / event.. You have to note that Bristol has overpass's and killer cobels and steep sections in the last few miles and thats one of the most popular runs around... Indeed it all just adds to the course if you wanted to run 13.1 or 26.2 on the flat go running round a track a few 100 times. image called road running aint it?

infact turning right at the top of new walk and seeing the crowd and the end was a very rewarding site.

Only down side with running through the city is that the OH allways wants to go shoping afterwards image.. and 

I can not say I dont know where anything is, as I just run though it.. image..

Oh,, and at the first water stop I was thinking the helps just wanted A High 5.... untill i tasted the funny tasteing water then the penny dropped. image...

• Bob - I thought the event was great too so keep your chin up. I've never really fancied a big race like London or New York, I like it local and with a for runners by runners sort of vibe.
  • Bob
    Looks like everyone here is speaking the truth & saying it was a good event & well organised.
    I was impressed by some of the random people coming out of their houses at 9.30 in the morning & clapping, especially the people of Bristall who lined their village centre & clapped.
    Thanks also for your help with our Block entry & also to Christain as well. It's good to have someone on the “inside” dipping into the forum from time to time & answering our questions. Much appreciated!

Look forward to next year & might even step up to the full marathon!

Well done to all the 33 Wigston Phoenix runners who took part in our first official race.
  • knight rider - the full is great try it next year it was my first and made a friend along the way (ran together from 6 miles to the end) already emailing each other. I did enjoy the day even if i had cramp from 4 miles in and no feeling at all in legs at 22 miles. I now cant wait for next year to go through the pain again
  • Bob, great event all round, i'm still reliving it - my 5th marathon and first acquaintance with the wall!

I take your point about alternative fund raising events, but longer term this could build into something much, much more significant with a sponsor, and a bit more promotion (i'm in London but saw the Mercury 'build up' which i thought was lame - i'll write and tell them if I get the time - do they know what they've got on their hands here?)

my especial thanks to the marshalls - the wet sponges were a great treat. thanks 

• there are now some photos (apparently) on the Alan Worth site - has anyone been able to search through them yet? When I click to go to the 'next' page I get taken back to the beginning again.