Clowne Half-Marathon

123457»

Comments

• I agree with lots of whats been said

but i guess what ever they do they cannot win really

because of my situation i have my own fruit squash water bottles on board, and a plain water cooling bottle for when needed

i also have to let Phillip drink on route, and it's best i know he's got what he likes

• Hello. I did the Clowne half-marathon (my first half-marathon) yesterday and was chuffed to get round in 1 hour 43 minutes. I didn’t expect any time in particular, I just ran at my normal steady pace and that’s what I ended up with. Cheers to all that organised it, I thought it was organised really well although I have little experience of organised races in fairness. My usual runs are quite hilly so I didn’t find this course too testing in that respect. It’s an undulating course but the climbs are certainly manageable.
  • Really well done ladies and gentlemen,

Let's all remember Clowne is a small town and they do really well, you also listen to the runners feedback - the police presence at the start, really helped the race flow, this year, and the marshalls were excellent. I also liked the wicking nylon t-shirt, better to pay a little more and receive a shirt you will use, rather than a cotton draw filler; cannot wait for it to be a little warmer to wear it again.

I know you manged to get a water sponsor, and it's hard work being the race director, so again well done, next year either cups or smaller isotonic bottles - overall though will be there for no 26 , I managed 1:56.image

• as far as the water goes - i'm with Angie, i can't drink from cups. my first few races were in the heat of the summer and i struggled to get more than a mouthful from the cups when i really needed it. didn't need to drink quite as badly yesterday but over that distance i like to get some liquid on board, and my chances are far better from a bottle so thanks guys!
  • I think the water debate has gone on for long enough some people like the bottles some like cups...... but to summarise as we run the most important thing is to get fluid on board,  like Mick said you can take your own drink if you wish.  As I ran the bottles were all discarded within a tenth of a mile and I saw marshals picking up the bottles (one more big up to the marshals). So to the dilemma,...  if you have a bottle or a cup right or wrong you have to throw it on the floor as a race organiser you are criticised if you have cups or bottles, put it like this how hard would the race be without any water........

Mick I saw you at the start but you looked like you were getting in the zone so I didn't say HI,  like many people that see you on the start line running is for eveyone.

• Hi jetpower

yes like everyone else i have to just take a second to make sure everything is spot on

as for the running bit, well, As Clowne HM is seen as tough, it's a darn site asier than dealing with every day problems at home i can tell you

actually it was for us or ME, 2 hours and 9 minutes of peace and quiet and release of life's pressures

And as far as " running is for eveyone."

this is true in every sence, it's turned my whole life around

• HI ALL,

Many thanks for all your comments which will be passed on at the de brief. With regards to the water, it's difficult getting water to stations that are in the countryside and there's the hygenic side to think about which is why we get it sponsored so that we don't pass the cost on. As a gold graded race by BARR we have to put 4 stations on the course and also at the finish, the same goes for the sponges. Remember, you have the choice of either taking it or not and also why not run with the bottle?

The debate will go on but we only have the safety of all the runners at heart. I'm really pleased you like the tee shirts a lot of time went into selecting a suitable memento.

See you all again next year.

• Not my first Half Marathon but it was my first Clowne.  I was absolutely chuffed by my time.  I came hoping to beat my PB but I absolutely smashed it.  1:26:30.  That's almost 3 minutes faster than my PB from 2005 at Friskney, and that's a flat course!!!

I will be back to do number 26 because the course and organisation were both excellent.  I don't know why people are complaining about the bottles at the water stations, I only took a sip and  threw the bottle away, where's the problem in that?

Well done everyone involved!  I must say thanks to Pete for running the whole race with me and encouraging me to achieve my amazing time.  How can I ever better it?

• Glenn Moore wrote (see)
     I don't know why people are complaining about the bottles at the water stations,

imageWho's complaining? I was first to mention it, for discussion and prefaced with:

Garry Needham 2 wrote (see)

Not a criticism of the race, just wondering if this is just me......

My comments were about waste and added expense. After all, I wasn't aware the water was sponsored. All we'd had on the thead was:

Lewis Banton wrote (see)
    We've organised 330ml bottles of water  with sports tops this year at great cost ot ourselves.
    As I said, not a complaint by any means. But as obviously CRR look for feedback I thought it was worth at least a comment
  • im not complaining just putting my voice to the discussionimage

i'll take what ever water is on offer

im trying out a new water belt ready for my marathon training just didnt want to try it first on a race.

great race +great organisation= angie will be back next year image

• Lewis

great race again    lets hope we have better weather next year

• I loved the event on Sunday. What a contrast to my previous half marathon the GNR. I will be doing both events again next year for the very different qualities they bring. My wife really enjoyed going to Clowne with me and felt it was very welcoming for spectators. A big thank you to Lewis and all involved.