New Forest Marathon

Comments

• Mr Guy

Can you tell me how to I get to New Forest please?

Someone said to me by Ferry or Train?

This will be my 17th Marathon thenimage

• Hi Speedy

I got there by train from Southampton last year, it was pretty easy the train station in New Milton is about 5 minutes walk from the race start.

17 marathons is impressive, this will be my 4th (unless I sneak another one in before then!) image

• Mr Guy

I decided to do it because we are mad right? Anyway I get a RailCard cheaper from Sleaford to London to Southampton(Will I have to change or stay on the same train).If There a Premier Inn there.What about a pub lunch before the big event Weekend.

I'v dunn

-----------------

Blackpool-4.45,London 4.50 and The Needles(Twice)-6.11(Hot)

and next Yorkshire Men Marathon in September then Eden,Robin Hood,Spire and Steeples,Luton,New Forest,Angelsey, and maybe couple Extra's?

• I am not sure where Sleaford is but if you are traveling from far away you might be better off staying in New Milton the night before. I only traveled from Southampton because I live there! The train you get from London to Southampton goes on to New Milton and Bournemouth (and a few other places)  there is loads of places to stayn in the New Forest.
  •   Mr Guy

Thanyou.Will I see you there? I Know someone from Southampton who did the Calendon Marathon in Wiltshire(I Think)Last Year
     http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/24/24_10_42.gif 

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZRman000

• Yep I am in for the New Forest, I am thinking about doing  Calendon but as it is the week after New Forest I probably won't image 
  • Mr Guy

If You are going to Calendon Marathon.Just make sure you get your medal and there own t-shirt because I was unexpress give my medal and t shirt someone else on that day and I already pay for my medal.All I get is Cheap unpleasent T-Shirt?

Drinks at New Forest if you willing to meet me at New Forest to exchange notes

Next saturday:My New Bike arrive?Greatimage

• Entries for the Marathon are over 800 so expect entries to close very soon. If you planning to enter but have not done so I suggest you do not delay as postal and online entries will be closing soon.
  • Hi Speedy

Doesn't seem fair about Calendon. Yep I am up for a drink after the race, there is a pub you pass on the last 0.2 mile bit which looks very tempting, last year they did a hog roast there image

How is training going for everybody?  

• race is now showing as full!!

better start training then!

• I've left it too late to enter!!!! I'm GUTTED, If anyone want ot sell their place and I'll pay the changeover that'd be great. Anybody ?

is this worth a new threadperhpas?

I'm in shock here! I did the 34 mule Ultra two weeks ago and have been resting on my laurels , as well as congratulating myself on entering Snowdonia.

Can anyone help?
  • Mike Hawes

I'm gutted also because my personnal manager lost my dates theatmean I not sure if anyone look at it.That mean 1 Marathon down until I find another one lik Derby or Leicester?

But I shell be back next year

• Speedy37 - you have a place and can't do it or want a place?
  • Mike Hawkes

I leave it until next year now instead I find another Marathon upto my 20 Marathon.Thats Fine?

You got a place or not?

• No place for me now I'm on the hunt for one - I don't knpw what to do , wait for a palce top magically appaear or enter the half so at least we have the weekend down there , perhaps hoping someone will swap.

It's going to eat me away this is!
  • could you do the half and just keep going?

15 1/2 miles for me today on a boring hilly road course that i hate  -but 10 mins quicker than last year, so looking good! didn't hate it as much either - coincidence??

• Good luck finding a place Mike. It did fill up quickly this year, I am sure I didn't enter until August last year. 

Oh, Mike on your recommendation I have signed up for the Doyen of the Downs this year!

Well done on the 15 1/2 miler Mr Phil; I decided to be slack and not go for a run today as I am still recovering from the South Downs marathon. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it!  

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Just about to start the build up for this now, had a few easy weeks, now to start the progression and all being well a 3:07:30......

Take care all

• The last 3 weekends I have done 10, 12 and 14 miles. Easy run this weekend. Then 16, 18 and 20 miles. I'm not sure when I'll find the time to do 20 miles though. 14 took me 2 hours at the weekend! I'm feeling good so far though. No niggles or injuries and looking forward to the challenge of my first marathon. My only problem is - I can't seem to stop eating. Running 30 miles a week + 2 hours swimming and I am constantly starving. I have actually put on weight! How is everyone else getting on?

• Well done Mr Spoons. Sounds like it is going well. Have you got a target time? 

9 mile tempo for me tonight, then the largest bowl of pasta known to man, good times image

• Hi Mr Guy,

Runners World's race time predictor says I should do 3:40. That sounds a bit steep to me. That works out as 8:40 min miles which I can do wasily, but 26 of them......

I'll aim for that and see how I go.

How was the pasta?

• I am going for a sub 3.45 time myself, it will be my third attempt at it so fingers crossed.

Pasta was good, it is a good job I run otherwise I would be the size of a house!

• You need to keep an eye on the weight, otherwise you won't squeeze into that Stormtrooper outfit image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

some good trg being built up by the looks, keep it up.

I have built a good base and will be ready for the heavy trg as of Mon....

15m planned for tomorrow.

• 18 miles planned for tomorrow - need an early start to beat the heat - why am i still on here drinking wine??
  • I am not looking forward to my run tonight it is soooo hot, I am meant to be doing a speed session but I can't see being able to stand much more than a gentle plod. Still I am planing on spending my time re-hydrating in a pud beer garden with some friends so it's not all bad! image

• Hi,

This is my first post on RW, as I've also entered the New Forest Marathon. image

This will be my first marathon and like many others I'm quite nervous!  I decided to enter this one as it's very local to me (I live in Southampton) and because I didn't like my odds for London next year (but if I get lucky I'll be doing 2 marathon in 7 month!)

I'll be scouring the website for some training plans and if anyone is local to Southampton then I'd be happy to do some training runs, especially the longer ones as the idea of 3hrs on my own is a bit daunting.

Cheers,

Lou

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Lou (Welcome), are you part of a running club, there are many in that area (I used to live in Marchwood) now a bit north in Andover.

If not then it may be a good idea as quite a few clubs go out for long runs at the weekends. And yes the long runs can be daunting, but you do build up to them so isnt a big shock...

What sort of time are you hoping for...

8m for me at lunch and did 15.25m on Sun (with a fall) and 6 yesterday. all is well in my ca,p at the mo...

• I'm not part of a running club, I've been thinking of joining one but my time is so limited that I think I'd struggle to make the most of it.

I have 1 free evening a week and do most of my running at lunchtimes which limits me to around 10km. I was thinking of doing laps around Southampton Common, there's a 3.4km marked loop, but the idea of doing that 10 times on my own is quite dull! I guess the best thing would be to join a club and see how I go.

I'm hoping for a time around 4hrs but for a first go at the distance I'll be (very) happy with a finish.

• welcome lou - defo worth trawling through a few clubs to see if they do any early morning weekend runs - helps to pass the time - if not try downloading a talking book from the library

speedwork for me yesterday - too warm! also crashed and burned on sunday after a hilly sandy 17 - should have been 18.5

rest day today, so a nice swim in the sea to relax, then some wine!