New Forest Marathon

Comments

• Did a fartlek session last night - 45 minutes - I didn't do out until 9pm as it was too hot. It was lovely out there at half past nine on my own. I do like these light evenings. Running club tonight, then a 16 miler to do at the weekend.....
  • I skipped running yesterday because it was hot and I am lazy! A friend has asked me to go to a Pilates class with her tonight so I am going to run their and back, total of 8 miles with some Pilates in the middle should be a good workout. I have never done Pilates before so it should be interesting.

My long run this week is only 13 miles so it is quite an easy week.  image

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have actually run very little in te last 3 weeks since the Northants Ultra, but have cycled and swam a lot.  I was due to start marathon training yesterday, but it was too hot.  Will head out later when it is cooler, I don't fare to well in the heat.  Good to see plenty of good training going on alraedy.

• Hi Shiva welcome along.

Lou- I do most of my running on Southampton Common I tend to go early evenings straight from work (I work at the University). I have plotted a 10k rout round the common which might be of use to you, it is on walk jog run and hopefully this link will show it:  

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=10CE6505-C9FA-7B5A-47249EF212605121

• Running club last night in Cromer. It was so hot we all had to jump in the sea afterwards. It was beautiful.

Mr Guy -I do a Pilates / Yoga DVD once a week which keeps me supple and helps reduce injuries. I rate it highly. Let us know how you get on.

• Pilates was good I am going to keep it up, and not just because the instructor was hot! I could really feel it had worked my stomach mussels on Friday morning. I think you are right about it being helpful for injury prevention it should really help.

Did 4 miles recovery this morning might go for a swim later.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Just done Lucie.... some interesting questions though not necessarily about long distance runing...
  • Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭
    JohnFol wrote (see)
    So Dave, not knowing the new forest too well, is the course particularly hilly, flat, gravelly . .?

Dunno if anyone's got back to you yet?

I've done the HALF twice (third outing this year). IIRC the 26 mile course is slightly different - but I was surprised to find the Half is all on road, no trackways. Lovely friendly well marshalled race  in my experience - and always a well designed quality T-shirt .

The first 3 miles of the Half takes in a no-foolin' hill just outside New milton (which quite a few people feel the need to walk up)....then there's a sort of plateau out on the heathland of the New forest and another hilly section at about 8 miles .

Back downhill into the Finish - but as I remember the miles seem to get much longer between 10 mile marker and the Line image 

Looking forward to this year.

Roger 

• I did that survey as well, it was mainly about buying race holidays then at the end it took you to a website selling racing holidays... I fear I may have been duped! 

My take on the course is that it is 90% roads, their is one section that it on hard gravel but that only lasts for a mile or so. As far as hills go the only two worth worrying about are at mile 17 ish and mile 20 to 21. I don't think the elevation is too bad on either of them but marathons have a way of making a mountain out of a mole hill!   

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

17m for me today and all going to plan, inc the hills.....

You are right Mr Guy the hils arent too bad and neither is the elevation.... and to be honest I prefre undulating courses as I tend to work harder and gives some of the muscle groups a rest in key areas, which you dont get in flat maras....

the mole hills are the mind doing funny things......

• Hills? No one told me anything about hills. I feel that, like the online survey, I too may have been duped!
  • I'm sneaking off work early today to do my 18 miles on the way home....

18 miles - that's the furthest I have ever ran! Sounds a bit daunting to me.

• Good luck, you'll be fine image

Got an 18 miler planned this weekend myself. Every part of me hurts after doing Pilates last night, I have renamed the instructor the smiling assassin!

• I assume the 6 pack is looking good with all that pilates? I myself have a fantastic 6 pack which is slightly hidden under a layer of blubber, but if you prod about you can feel the bumps!
  • Yep the six pack is coming along nicely, I am still keeping it safely wrapped up in protective padding so as not to damage it!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    protective covering is the way forwards...image
  • yes - i have plenty - always over protect!

hope the big run went well mr s. - there are a lot of mr's on here - a most polite thread!

• Always best to be polite sir....

Did my 18 miles last night - the longest I have ever run. A lot harder than I expected. Maybe I have under-estimated this marathon thing. My logic was simple - 5km=6 min miles, 10km = 7 min miles, 1/2m = 8 min miles so the plan was 9 min miles for the marathon. Did the first 14 x 9 minute miles nice and easy. Had a few stops for drinking, stretching and admiring the scenery etc. After 14 everything started to ache and get heavy and stiff. 9 minute miles turned into 10, then 11 and by the end I could hardly walk! Oh well, I feel OK this morning. Roll on 20 miles next weekend!

• First one is always tough Mr S, but it gets easier. Hope you don’t mind me giving my 2p worth but you should probably slow down a bit. Long runs should be 30 to 90 seconds slower than your marathon pace, you can‘t race a marathon every week which is what you are trying to do of you do your long runs at race pace. The purpose of them is to build your aerobic base and train your body to use fat as fuel, running them too fast basically just knackers you out and increases your chances of picking up an injury. What I try to do is start slowly and build up the pace so the last few miles are 30 seconds slower than marathon pace.     
    Hopefully somebody who knows what they are talking about can confirm this or tell me I am talking rubbish.

• must agree - its time on your feet that's more important at this stage rather than miles run - slow down and try and enjoy it!

having a build up weekend - 7 miles on the mountains last night, 10 on the beach and dunes today, with 15 or so on the road tomorrow - aiming for just over 2 hours - prob about 2-10, then cider!

• Blimey - I thought I was going ever so slow and thought the answer might be to speed up! I'll see how it goes this weekend - 20 miles!

By the way - does anyone else find it starts to get a bit dull running for 3 hours or so on your own?

• Spoons - when I'm on my long, slow runs I found that listening to some podcasts helped break through the boredom. I listen to a mix of comedy, technology, sport etc... whatever your interests are there are sure to be many options out there in the podosphere!
  • Are podcasts as motivational as music? Hmmm - I'll give it a go. I do listen to audiobooks in my car.
  • Hi guys, I'm on the Abingdon forum as well & asked about long run pace. Here's what White Farm Man said "a wise old marathon vetean once told me that for your longest long runs (i.e. over 20 miles) you should be running these at such a pace that you cover 22miles in the same time that you aim to finish the full marathon.  If you aim to finish in 3 hours then you should be running at about 8.11min/mile". Plug your time into the pace calculator & see what it comes up with for the long runs. For a 4hr mara the long runs should be done between 10.15-11.32/mile. Seems slow doesn't it?
  • I have heard that as well Scruffmeister, I have never managed to put it into practice thought. Training slowly is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

I have never listened to a podcast while running but might give it a try, I am getting fed up of listening to the same tracks over and over again. That being said I don't to my long runs with music.    

This is an interesting training week for me; I have my first 5k on Thursday night then doing a self navigated marathon on Sunday.  Luckily I have next week off work so there will be plenty of time for recovery.

• So this works out for me as - 9 minute miles marathon = 3:55 mins approx - therefore training pace = 10:45 min miles. Seems very slow but I'll give it a go.

Went to running club last night - 100m sprint - 1 minute rest - 200m sprint - 1 minute rest - repeat for an hour. A killer session! Thursday night is a 10 mile club race. Saturday 20 miles easy. I'm a bit worried the 10 mile race might be overdoing it - maybe I should take it easy.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Yep good maths there Mr S, dont go too fast on the LSRs, thats what the shorter faster stuff does to increase speed, the LSRs, increase the endurance... well done on your 18. Do the 10 but not flat out, try the first 2m easyish then 6m at MP ie 9mm and then ease off again, then rest on Fri before the 20 slow on Sat.

Trg going well in this camp, have got a nice bit of speed tomorrow with the Winchester 5k and then doing the Swanage 1/2 on Sat.... I love punishment........

• I did the Swanage half last year and loved it, talk about hills! I was thinking about it this year but I am doing the Fairlands Valley Marathon instead. I'll be at the Winchester 5k tonight as well, no chace of me doing it quickly though my legs are mashed this week.
  • RFJ, also doing Swanage on Sat. First time for me. See you there.
  • Did the 10 mile race last night. I planned to do 9 min miles but got carried away and did 8 min miles! 1:19 minutes + a very hilly course. Oh well, the legs feel OK today luckily.