New Forest Marathon

Comments

• Well done Mr S.

My 5k went well I did it in 21:25, which is pretty fast for me. I am to go camping for the weekend then up north to visit my family for the week. Oh yeah and the little matter of running a marathon on Sunday! image 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

18:14 at Winchester,

Never made it to Swanage for various reasons, many family issues....

Take care

• Did the 20 miles at the weekend in 3.5 hours. Felt a lot easier than before. It's amazing what you get used to!

Mr Guy - How did the marathon go?

• Swanage went OK. Got 1.37. Seems slow for a half, but it's a brutal course. Beaten only by the Truro Half I think. Those first three miles seem to go on forever. The last three were fun though. Recovery runs are out of the way, back to intervals tomorrow, 8x 1000m. image
  • My training schedule said 6 mile tempo run last night. I couldn't be bothered and had a couple of beers in front of the telly instead..... Oh dear - I'm now racked with guilt.
  • Pyramid session last night - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000 - 800 - 600 - 400m. My quads/hams/glutes are all aching like mad today. Swimming training tonight.
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

HI all,

Very behind in my training, have suffered from post ultra/vurus problems but am now getting back into it.  Did 15 miles on Monday, and a 9 mile hill session on tuesday.  Will go for a gentle recovery run tonight, and then maybe some speedworkon thrsday.  Will aim to do a 20 miler on sunday, and if that goes ok, i will press on.  If not, I may pull out and aim for a race a month later.

• Hi All

The marathon was good fun, if you fancy something a bit different I can recommend the Fairland Valley Spartans Challenge. It is a self navigated course using written instructions, I only got lost twice! Great comradery. I managed it in 4.35 and the guy who won only did it about an hour faster so it wasn't a fast race.

Since then I have done very little running, I am up north visiting family for my little brothers wedding. Great fun, I am just hoping I haven't undone too much of my raining by having fried breakfasts every morning and Guinness every night!

I am back to Southampton tomorrow then starting training again.

• hi all

has anyone recevied their tee-shirt or number yet.

or any ideas when we can expect them to arrive.

• No idea - I haven't received anything.

I've also had an easy training time. My schedule said 6 miles for my long weekend run. Back to 16 next weekend. I also took the opportunity to swap my training for beer and fried breakfasts!

• The numbers etc get sent out late August apparently.

I forgot to ask Mr S how did you get on with your 20 miler the other week?

8 miles for me tonight, looks like the sun is coming out so all good here!

• I've just bought a Garmin 305 image

Got it from Amazon I can't wait for it to arrive image

• I got a Garmin 305 for Christmas. I use it for checking my pace and distance. I haven't yet worked out all the other stuff. It's quite complex! Great piece of kit though - and very accurate.

20 miler went well. Less achey than the 18 or the 16 before. Took 3.5 hours. Just a bit boring after a while, and the wife is starting to get the hump with these long runs!

• Good work Mr S, yep the long runs can get a bit much some times. That is one of the reasons I bought the Garmin, so I don't have to run a predesignated rout I can just go where my legs take me. I am getting fed up of doing the same runs over and over again. I dont have a wife to contend with but I have heard they don't like it when you decide to do silly things like run marathons! 

• Did 10m at about 7.41 this morning. 4x 1mile intervals tomorrowimage & a 20m on Sunday. Looks like the weather is going to be better Sun than Sat. Don't fancy trudging round for nearly 3hrs in the pouring rain. Got the Salisbury 54321 (30k) the following weekend. Anyone else doing it?

• Mr G - That's the best thing about the Garmin. You can go off exploring down little paths and tracks, and keep an eye on your pace and distance. When you get home you can load into Google Maps and see where you went!

p.s. -  I've bought an audiobook and stuck it on my ipod for my 16 miler this evening.

• Got my race no., chip etc this morning. Nothing like getting that for a bit of motivation.
  • Oh that's exciting, hopefully mine is at home too.

Scruffmeister was that 10m at 7.41 minute miling or 7.41 am; either way it sounds fecking horrible to me! Every night for the last two years I have set my alarm with the intention of getting up early and going out for a nice run to start the day, every morning I wake up and decide there is nothing that is geting me out of bed till the last possible minute.     

Mr S which audio book did you get?

• Iain M Banks - The Algebraist - £7 on iTunes + 7 hours therefore £1 per hour!

Now rushing home to check the post, but I won't be there for ages as I will be stopping for a scenic 16 mile run on the way home round a lake!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Yeap, Race No was waiting for me when I got home from camping....

Hopefully that will get my backside into gear this afternoon for a 20m bash

• Mr Guy, that was 10m at 7.41/mile at 6.30am!! Double horror.

Just come back from a 20m at 8.43/mile, started at 7.15am. I like to get my runs out of the way early!

• Yep my race number was waiting for me when I got home Friday night, well technically it was Saterday morning I got home!

Only 14 miles for me today, I did most of it off road and in the sun, nice.

That's some fast training your doing there Scruffy. 

• Got my race number too. No T-shirt though. Do we get T-shirts? I can't remember now.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Only if you ordered and paid for one.

20m bagged yesterday in 2:42, last few miles were a mind battle

• I think I ordered a T-shirt. I usually do!

2:42 is very impressive. (8 min miles). I usually run 7-8 min miles but I am doing 20m in 3:30 which is painfully slow. I am struggling to go that slow but that is what the plan says so I'm sticking to it!

• My Garmin arrived yesterday, I had no idea they did so much stuff. I am going to give it a go tonight on my tempo run. Which happens to be the same as RFJ's LSR pace!

• Which Garmin did you get Mr G?
  • I got the 305, I was so excited when it arrived I did a little dance and held it above my like like it was the World Cup!

I think I am going to start using HRM training everything I have read about it seem to make sence, does anybody else train that way? 

• I've got the 305. I used the HRM  about 10 times. I worked out my max HR and stuff. What it told me was that when I am sprinting and can hardly breathe my heart rate is very high, and when I am plodding along and can easily hold a conversation my heart rate is very low. Maybe I am missing something, but I couldn't see the point. There is loads I would like to use that I haven't set up yet. Virtual partner and route planning etc.
  • Yeah the route planning thing looks great, can't see myself being able to use it though I still get in to arguments with the car sat nav.