New Forest Marathon

Comments

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons = 3.59

Mr Guy = 3.45

Scruff = 3.45

RFJ = 3:10

1 mid distance LSR tomorrow then taper madness kicks in....

• Options

Right last long run (16 miles) done; I also did a good tempo session on Friday so now it's all about the taper.Bloody hate tapering.I am going to have to try my hardest not to go mad!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    only managed 5.5m of my last LSR - bliddy IBS took over...... not a happy teddy
  • Options

24m yesterday in 3.10. Very pleased with that, except that I now have a worringly sore right ankle which is 'clicking' occasionally. I see a physio appt looming. Had my biggest mileage wk ever last wk too, 56m.

I quite like the taper. My taper starts the day after this race actually, for Abingdon which is 3wks after this.

RFJ, have you had that injury before? Seeing a physio about it?

• Options

I was supposed to do a12 mile LSR at the weekend. I upped it to 13.1 and did it at marathon race pace.

Not should if I should have done that or not, but I wanted to know if my race pace was too fast or slow.

I did it in 1:52 and I felt good and strong. I wasn't slowing down at all, and although I was definitely tired, I could have carried on (maybe not for another 13.1 though!). We'll see on the day......

Scruff - 56m in a week. Very impressive. Do you have nothing better to do with your time?

• Options
    Mr S, LOL. How many hrs do you put in a week? 13.1 in 1.52 puts you in a good position for a 4hr mara. Was it a flat/hilly run? What's your longest run been?
  • Options
    Anybody fancy swapping a half for a full place? meet you on the day in Milford? The places are the same price so it's no loss.

Cheers
  • Options

Scruff - I've done 3 x 20 milers. The 1:52 was nice and flat. I did have a couple of roads to cross with traffic lights so that would have added 90 seconds.....

Anyone know what the traffic and parking is like on the day? Just wondering what time I should set off and aim to get there. Google Maps says Southbourne (where I am staying) is 22 minutes away. I was thinking of arrivng at 9am. It looks like last year there was 500 in the marathon and 1750 in the HM so there will be loads of people about.

• Options

Good luck finding a place Mike, I noticed you have signed up for the Donyen of the Downs as well, should be a good fun.

I got the train up last year but I friend of mine that drove said by the time he got there the parking was full up. You will probably be fine getting there for 9, and anyway it's not like your going to be able to sleep! image   

• Options
    Mr Guy - well I'll give it till then end of the week then go for the Ponton plod either the 17 or the 27. As for Doyen I'm doing it but as far as I know I haven't entered - or have I? I can't remember, I might email them before I enter and check.
  • Options
    Mr S, that's good mileage in the long run dept. As for parking etc I think there's parking in a nearby sports field. Is there no info in the race pack? I'd get there for 9 latest. That'll give you time to get to the start, queue for the loos, short warm up etc.
  • Options
    I have just had a look at the instructions and they say to leave 20 minutes to get from the car park to the start of the race. I will be looking to get there for 9 at the latest (start at 10). The good thing about the half marathoners staring first is that the cues for the toilets disappear when they head off to the start.
  • Options
    I have just noticed the bit about the sponges as well, bit odd but whatever. I just hope people don't chuck em about the New Forest when they get bored of carrying them. 
  • Options
    Probably best to get there at 8:40 then. I always seem to find I either have hours of time to kill or a mad panic rush to the start line.
  • Options

Hi Folks

I woke up this morning in a sudden flap think "oh my lord i have to run 26.2 miles next Sunday" .........

appologies if I'm asking stuff already answered previously in this forum but

Does anyone know what drinks are handed out - is it just water or sports drink , any other goodies along the way..........not so keen on carrying my own sponge - but understand it makes sense not to have sponges all over the place ...............

Cheers

Dave

• Options

I think it's just water.

I'm not sure about carrying sponges either. Maybe I won't bother and get too hot instead....

• Options
    Just water I would have thought. I seem to remember there was a jelly baby station at mile 23(?).
  • Options

Yep just water, every 5k ish. I think I saw Jelly Babies last year but then by mile 23 I was seeing all sorts of crazy shit image

Taper madness has kicked in for me, I have just entered this

http://www.votwo.co.uk/votwo2007/events-and-adventure/race_view.php?i=88

All of a sudden I have a change in priorities!  

• Options

Mr G, that's a tough one. Haven't done it but have walked the entire length of the coast path in one hit & it's seriously up & down. I looked at doing the ONER this year, but changed my mind & decided to do 'normal' marathons instead. Good luck with that one.

This time next week it'll be filling up with pasta time & getting stuff ready. Can't wait.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

This time next week I shall be walking like an even older man.....!!!!!

Picked up 2 blisters today doing the victory 5 at speed, very happy with the new PB at 29:31, but no so happy with the blisters...

1/2 milage week last week to normal, same again till sat then the big one...

• Options

RFJ, how do you deal with the blisters? I've used blister plasters recently, Tesco's I think, & found they worked a treat. I always put them on before a race or long run. Easier not to get a blister in the first place. Also tape up the feet as well on the heels & bottom of my feet.

Did the Studland Stampede 12k this morning. Pretty tough off roader, mainly cos a lot of it is on sand. Saps the legs. No taper for me this week. Recovery run Mon, intervals Tues, easy run Weds, 12m Thurs, more intervals Fri & a rest day Sat. This will be my peak week, should clock high 50's, may even crack 60miles (inc NFM).

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    normally the compeed blister packs, am letting them dry out first..... then always see how bad they are in the morning..... unless red raw then the packs are straight on.... but so far, this time just lanced....
  • Options

Mr G: "A 26.2 mile marathon each day for 3 days running, jogging, walking or crawling from Lyme Regis to Poole along beautiful but brutal coastal terrain."

That's allright then - crawling is allowed so you'll be OK.

• Options

Tapering -

I reduced the intensity and mileage last week. I did an 8 mile LSR on Saturday. What is everyone doing this week. When is the last run?

• Options

I need to check the rules to see if crying like a little girl and screaming for my mum is allowed too!

Don't know what I am doing this week, I twisted my ankle a bit on my run yesterday so nothing tonight and just see how I feel tomorrow. I might do a couple of miles easy on Sat just to stop me going stir crazy. Either way I am not doing much this week.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    6 days to go.... and will only be running 3 times during the week, Tues, Thurs and Sat
  • Options
    Ran 5 miles last night. I will do 3 miles on Thursday and that's me done. Might go for a swim on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Hi, Is anyone driving down on the Sunday mornign from the Leatherhead area and could offer a lift?
  • Options

6m last night, 5x 1m tonight. Physio leg & back massage last night. Bit sore but feel better for it.

Ultraoli, coming from other direction, sorry.

Mr G, how's the ankle?

• Options

It is a bit painful and a little swollen but oddly I didn't feel it at all when I was running  tonight, thanks Scruff. Just did 6 miles easy pace. I'll do the same again tomorrow and then 3 on Friday or Sat.