New Forest Marathon

Comments

• Sorry Ultraoli - coming from Bournemouth with a car full of kids!

• A lift from North London would work too. Damn - I didn't realise it would be so difficult to get there for a 10am start!! Will I have to head down on the Saturday night instead? 
  • Hi Ultraoli Sorry I am heading from Southampton. You would probably be better of coming down the night before, I wouldn't have thought it would be to difficult to find a B&B near by.   
  • If you can get to Basingstoke for 7.48, there's a train to New Milton getting there at 9.06. However, there are engineering works between Southampton and Brockenhurst early Sunday morning which should (!!) be finished before this train runs through. Start is only a few minutes walk from train station.

If you do travel down the day before and need a campsite, there's one at Rushcroft Farm in Sway. http://www.rushcroft-farm.co.uk/. It's only a few minutes walk to Sway station where the above train stops at 9.01. (I'll be catching it from Sway all being well !!) 

• Mr G, get some ice on that ankle, if you haven't already. Doesn't matter that you did it a couple of days ago, it will still help. 3-4 times a day for 5-10mins.
  • Ice of course, why the hell didn't I think of that! I'll get some on it when I get home tonight.  
  • Mr G - hope you ankle holds up.

The weather is looking good for Sunday - bit too hot probably.

Good luck for the weekend everybody. I'll be the guy in the blue vest with "North Norfolk Beach Runners" in big yellow letters on it if you want to say hello. Mr G - I'll look out for a guy in a stormtrooper outfit that's limping on a dodgy ankle!

• Cheers Ms S, good luck to you to. I'll be leaving the Stormtrooper outfit at home and donning my orange Eastleigh RC vest. Very fetching it is too!  
  • No. 90, white Poole AC vest, sporting a nice new no.1 haircut.
  • I'll get my head shaved tomorrow. Less wind resistance - speeds you up!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Andover AC top blue / white stipes and a redish bandana, will have to look for No...
  • Good luck to all in case anyone is travelling down tomorrow. Hope to see some of you there, but that's easier said that done at these things. Hope you all get what you want. See you on the other side.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    All the best to allimage
  • Good luck everybody, I'll keep any eye out and say hello if I spot any of you. Looks like it is going to be a hot one image.

I am number 790. 

• Bring it on - including the sun! I will look out for you Mr Guy. We met at one of the off-roaders a couple of months back, but I cannot remember which one. This will be my 27th marathon this year, so I forget where I've been!

Enjoy it everybody - this is one of the special ones.

ps - I am No. 56.   x

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

DNF at 17m, not comfortable mind and body all over the place, left quad issues from as early as 5m...... game over!

Onwards and upwards.... no maras now till VLM - so plenty of time to address all todays issues.

• Hi No Blue Legs, it was Fairlands Valley Challenge we met, didn't see you today though, how did you get on?

RJF sorry to hear that mate, can't win em all eh. It was tough today. Some guys I know that are far better than I really struggled. For me everything seemed to go right. I got chatting to a girl I met at Fairlands Valley Challenge and she was aiming for a sub 3.45 too. We went out too fast and by mile 10 (did anybody else notice the sigh was the wrong way round?) we were about 4 mins ahead of pace. Anyway things got tougher from there and from about 16 to 21 where hell but having that buffer meant I just had to hang on. Came in at  3.43.41 in the end so pretty happy.

Mr S I think I might have seen you at about 13 or 14 miles but it took a while for my brain to work out who, what, when etc how did you get on? 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done Mr Guy good running there
  • Didn't manage to see anybody, unsurprising really. Woo, hot one today.

RFJ, really bad luck mate. Better to pull out than do yourself real damage.

NBL, 27th mara this year?! Holy smokes! That's good going.

Yeh, the 10m marker did confuse me when I did that mile in 11.36 & the following one in 5.19. Got 3.42 (PB), so Mr G I may have passed you in the last 3-4 miles, I pushed it over the last few & passed quite a few people. Amazed me the no. of runners who were carrying nothing, no gels, water. Some of the stretches between aid stations seemed a long way. Great course, I think the changes were good.

Well done everybody.

• Cheers RJF

Scruffy where you wearing a white vest and cap (can't remember the color) by any chance? From about mile 16 I only remember one person passing me, I did give them what I thought was a cheery well done. Probably just sounded bitter though! Well done on the time.

• Mr G, yeh that was me. Did you see any results, just wondering whereabouts we finished? A spectator called out I was 250th at 11m, but I passed a shedload of people after that.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Results are up on Jand... type that inro google, follow to 2009 and scrol down till you get to NF
  • Yep the results are up here

http://jand.co.uk/Results2009/NFM.htm

I was 171 when I passed her and finished 127.

• Cheers, got em. 117th. Pretty pleased with that. Legs are stiffening up nicely too. Three weeks to taper for Abingdon now.
  • What a fantastic day. Found it tough as always - I don't know what makes this one tough, but it is! Loved every minute though.

RFJ - Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like you are ok with it though, and I am sure the next one will go better for you.

Mr Guy - I am not surprised you didn't see me. I did 4.36 which is my usual sort of time. You did really well. You must have been out for a stroll at Fairlands!

Scruffmeister - congratulations on your excellent run too. I run for numbers these days, I was never going to be a good runner - just a persistent one! I get number 100 at Abingdon in 3 weeks - YAY.

Well done to everyone who ran, and huge thanks to the organisers for another fantastic event.

• I didn't realise it would be so hilly!!!

Well done Scruff + MR G. Bad luck RFJ.

I was doing fantastically up until around 14 miles and I had 3:45 in sight. Then the hills and the heat took there toll and my legs started to give in. By 18 miles I was planning 4:00. By 20 miles I wanted to give up and go home. I walked up the hills after 20 miles and finished in 4:17. Found it very tough.

And worse still - the hog roast had run out!!!

Oh well, I think I may stick to half marathons from now on. Or maybe a nice pancake flat marathon in winter.

• Mr S. Well done for toughing it out & finishing. Sounds like a long day at the office. Quote from the NFM website: It does look like the Alps but the biggest incline from Middle Rd to Tiptoe Garage only climbs 35 metres in one mile - you'll love it!

Hmm. Seemed more like 350m that one. Oh yeh, I loved it. Forgot about that. Must have slipped my mind!

Why not give Abingdon a go next year? Total ascent of 150ft (about what there is in the first 7m of New Forest) & in Oct so (hopefully) reasonable temps.

• Well done Mr S, 26.2 miles is always a win and it was very tough yesterday. That bloody hill right on the 20 mile mark was a killer. Maybe try one more just to see... image

Good luck at Abingdon Scruffy and No Blue Legs (well done on the 100) we will probably cross paths again on the Marathon circuit.

And Good luck at the VLM RFJ I am sure I'll bump in to you at a HRRL race at some point, well I might see your vest disappearing of into the distance!

Beachy Head is the next one for me in October but I will probably be hanging around on the Doyen of the Downs and Jurassic Coast challenge threads from now. 

It's been fun. 

• Had a look at Abingdon - "Billiard table flat" is a comment I liked the look of. I may well be there in 2010.

Next up - Norwich Half Marathon.

Hope to hook up with you all again.......