think i'm gonna pack this running lark in - fed up!

2»

Comments

• DON'T STOP RUNNING!! You do it because you love it I'm assuming, same as the rest of us. What would we do without it?? image

Your times are something I'm still aiming for!!! I haven't done a 10k in underan hour and I've been running for about 3 years but only seriously this year. Have entered 2 half marathons this year and I'd be really really chuffed if I got your time!! I'm praying for under 2 hours 30 mins image 

I'm about a stone over weight still, have lost a stone and half since doing this serious but I am the most ungraceful red faced unfit looking person when I run....and I don't give a rats arse image I can't do your time yet and our weights are different so be REALLY proud of yourself. You are clearly improving and you have probably just convinced me to join a running club, which I've been debating and too scared to do for a long time. Thank you image

Keep going x

• I've heard that when your body gets used to doing one exercise, the weight loss gets harder. By throwing in couple sessions of cross training a week should boost up the weight loss because you will be using different muscles etc etc.

I lost 4 stone by running, but it took me ages before the weight even started dropping. I had to be quite obsessed with my calorie counting. I was on 1500 -1800 calories per day, running about 25 miles per week.

I would still like to lose a bit of weight but I'm not losing any. I think it's because I dont see it as a priority in my life at the moment so not putting enough effort or concentration to it. Plus I'm increasing weekly miles due to Marathon so naturally, eat more. I'll start concentrating to the weight loss after the marathon is over.

I wish you all the best! What comes to your neighbour, I'd say to him "come one then, come running with me and then you can say if I'm built for it or not!" Bet he will think his words twice!

• lol at Bikermouse comments...

If you stop, PL, it will be really hard to get going again.  Stopping to lose weight with the intention of returning will probably backfire on you.  Break up the long/slow running with what Candy is suggesting and also add in other sports as you are suggesting.  It's all about increasing your metabolism and eating the right foods <Blondiee takes the half-eaten Cadburys cream egg OUT of her mouth image, steer clear of those things!>.  Some runners are forced to give up out of injury and we are really peed off because we want to run, but can't.  You don't appear to have any injuries, so why give up something you can do?  I wouldn't.  And your times are days faster than mine.  image 

Get back out there and take no notice of one 'village idiot's' comment.  All the best.  Blond. 

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I have no advice on losing weight but certainly if you enjoy your running don't give it up.   I don't know about being built for running - not that many are lucky enough to be naturally slim with perfect biomechanics - so it's all the more of an achievement that we are out there doing it.  

• PL, you're doing brilliantly! Keep it up. Your neighbour is jealous and impressed.

I always walk the distance from my house to the park (or tow path or back streets or playing field) purely so my neighbours don't see me and my glorious girth in full swing. I so smile to myself with self-satisfaction when they see me returning all sweaty and glowing and full of endorphins knowing full well they never feel that way.

Go PL! 

• Suggest a different approach with the neighbour - instead of ignoring him/writing him off, next time you see him as you get in from a run, stop and have a chat and let him know how good you feel after a run, how pleased you are with your times, etc - get him on your side. Better to have an ally, than someone who you might feel is always able to bring you down with a simple, jokey comment.

And for weight loss, mix some bodyweight, compound exercises (the usual suspects - squats, lunges, step-ups, push-ups, etc) with interval training in addition to your usual running.

• Keep with it - for as long as you are enjoying it, then sod what other people think

Your times are extremely acceptable! I would love to be able to 10mm for 10 miles image

Sometimes people find actually eating a bit more helps them lose weight as they can run and train more effectively. Not sure if that applies to you x

• HI PLODDING LADY I totally agree with most folk - keep doing it if you enjoy it and why not suggest your neighbour joins you on your next run- if he's "made for it"!  If he can't keep up? Well, just carry on!!

I have had the same comments. Am a very short legged runner amd people assume I will run a mile and fall over..?!?! Ijust think well at least I am doing it you're just a (bad) commentator. Your running club should be suportive - I joined a jog scotland one which I enjoyed but the time and day are just not compatible with work, so had to stop that , but  if it helps I have been running on and off 6 years am size 10 and have very siilar times.

As for loosing weight I went to scottish slimmers when I was 16 . Lost 3 stone I didn't need to loose and just find a healthy balance now I am 32 - So my advice is as my PE teacher dad has  ( always!!!) told me( who I now listen to!) Eat 3 meals a day - decent size (2 of your palms), if you feel hungry just have something little some fruit and water or some nuts- It's not rocket science - his words, not mine- but it works it does feel sometimes I eat too much but if you want to go the distance you need it!! Like barking says above - might be a bit more but your body needs fuel to burn.

God long post sorry!! Good luck to you I hope you stick with it! X

• bad spelling too but you know what I mean! Just do it!!! x
  • henmuffinhenmuffin ✭✭✭

PL I wouldnt be surprised if your neighbour fancies you! All that about how he likes his women is probably his poor attempt at flattery.

I think sometimes we have phases where our running is good. We are achieving our goals and running further or faster. Other times are like a hard slog and you wonder why you are not improving. I often have times like that but I think it is to do with my own perception of how I think I should be doing. I believe in having a change of scene at these times, not running as far or maybe trying a diferent route.

I lost a bit of weight controlling my portion sizes and I find I can't eat as much as I used to. This is not for the want of trying because I love chocolate and cake!

Just chalk it up to life's ups and downs and be a bit easier on yourself. 

• PL - Haven't read all posts on this thread so what Im  about to say may have been said already.

I started running almost 3 years ago and love it to bits.  Ive never been a slim jim, average size and  I started for stress relief and general fitness reasons (used to swim a lot before and fancied a change).  When I first ran I lost about 5lbs without having to make any dietry changes.  Since then my weight has yo-yoed a bit, but no more than the original 5lbs.  BUT, I am a very different body shape to the woman I was at the start, much more toned and firmer. Give it more time and you'll soon see the difference. Also was running 11.5 minute miles when I started and mnaged to get to 9 min miles at my fittest. 

Best advice I was given was deny yourself nothing but just have smaller portions of the naughty stuff.

• That's very good advice - I don't see the point in denying yourself anything otherwise it just makes you want it more imageimage

That doesn't just apply to food, of course....

• TOO TRUE ninja breadGirl...but any way,

DON'T STOP RUNNING!! - IF YOU FEEL GOOD FOR IT THEN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

• well said. stick with it. you can do it.
  • Well done for getting this far PL, you've made it over the first few hurdles: getting out to run at all, and joining your running club.  All you have to do now is ignore that one flippant comment and stick to your guns.

Most people don't have the right frame or body shape for running when they first start out, it takes hard work and determination.  I may be a skinny minny now, but I started out at a size 24, 16st 9lbs, with a 40GG bust.  I managed 14 minute miles at best, but with a lot of hard work have managed to get down to 'whippet size'.

Maybe your neightbour was just trying to make some conversation about your running and really didn't know what to say, and then mouth engaged before brain?  Have a chat to him about running and what you're aspiring to - I'm sure he'll come round to see your viewpoint on your running with a few explanations.

Lastly - as has been said in previous posts, don't get disheartened.  You might find that even though the weight isn't dropping off you now, it'll kickstart at some point and you'll be amazed at your progress.

Chin up and happy running!