Options

Training - starting seriously at age 28

2»

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Tipp-Topp - many thanks for your comments above regards my age group - although the point about doing recovery runs too quickly is pertinent to all age groups I believe. With hindsight, I always did my "bread and butter" runs at "steady" rather than "easy" perceived pace. Perhaps this prevented my marathon PB being a bit better than it was, based on my half M time ...  Doubles - must say I find singles easier to cope with these days, although twice weekly I do 5 m to work and 3 (hilly) m home.  Also TT, I have read lots of your posts elsewhere, and you place a lot of emphasis on base work. This holds true, I think, at my age/and coming back from injury.  I had a knee ligament tear repaired via arthroscopy in mid-Nov, , and have cautiously completed 450 miles in 15 weeks this year (lower than my usual mileage), but NO speedwork of any type just yet. So far, although knee fine, I just don't seem to be getting quicker !! Would you introduce any speed just yet, or have faith in the slow/steady running?

Andy - apologies for going off-topic a bit there, but good luck with your goals; keep us informed.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

BIRCH - totally agree on recovery runs generally being done too quickly. I think with some of the older guys in the club they just use it as an excuse to focus on the fun rather than 'boring' stuff, which is obviously their prerogative. You are right, I am a big believer in base work, but, until recently it is fair to say I never fully understood how I should be doing it - this winter for example, most of my runs were around the one pace (though upper aerobic, rather than lower, so I think I still got sizeable benefits from them).
    In terms of reintroducing speedwork, it all depends. For example, what do you class as slow/steady running as it means different things to different people. E.g. for me, an easy run is PMP+ ~45-75s, whereas some people class easy as slower or quicker than that.
    On top of that, it depends on what you are looking to do. For me, my preferred style of training is the Lydiard approach, which involves picking a target race, counting back from there and allocating time to the various phases, so my speedwork tends to start on that basis (though Lydiard emphasised year-round leg-speed work, so maybe start by introducing some of that and see how you get on?).

I'm sure you've probably already seen it, but this is a great link: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training.pdf

My coach (one of the original Lydiard boys and the reason I referred to not previously having had a good understanding of what the base work was supposed to be - I've only recently started being trained by him, but have already learned more than in the previous 2 years) also recommended this book which he had a considerable influence in, which, so far, is a fantastic read: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h__1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=healthy+intelligent+training+the+proven+principles+of+arthur+lydiard&sprefix=healthy+intell&sprefix=healthy+intell

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

TT - many thanks for the links - have seen the Lydiard one before, but will revisit it with renewed interest. My slow pace is about 60 - 90 secs less than MP - eg - last year FLM = 3:15:50 (7m29s mm), long run pace prior = 21 mile in 3 hr (8m30s mm approx). (Although truncated 8 week + taper buildup meant less long runs than usual).  Am thinking about Leicester or Abingdon in Oct, but will decide in another month or so - want to see how rebuild goes, also knee caution (but knee OK so far).    I see you achieved splendidly at Abingdon last year - are you doing FLM?

Thanks once more, and, like Andy I guess there's much more to come from you. Cheers.

• Options
    I am 52 years old, started running in the last 12 months and will complete my first 10k in Manchester on 17th May. I entered the race in the 1 hour to 1 hour 20 category and I have recently completed 10k in 56 minutes. AGE IS DEFINITELY NOT A BARRIER
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    BIRCH - my lsr' tend to be (P)MP+~1min too. Cheers re: Abingdon. It's a flat course, but there are a few twisty parts. Nothing major though, and on the whole I'd imagine it is one of the quicker courses in the country. It does fill up very quickly though, so I wouldn't leave it too long to decide if you want to do it. I'm not doing FLM, I had too many problems over the last few months to get a decent uninterrupted spell of training, so have opted for Edinburgh 5 weeks later instead. Good luck with your rebuild image
  • Options

Andy - Started running age 35 and didn't marathon PB till 42 (2:33), ran 2:38 last year age 46 and now 47 and still trying for sub 2:30. 10k pb was age 42 (32.50) and 1/2 marathon pb was I believe age 44/5  (1:11:52). Wish now I'd started as young as you!

Btw, like TT, I do doubles most days when focusing on a race, otherwise I do some of the training on a racing bike, partly to give the legs a break and partly cos I like it.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

TT - Good luck with Edinburgh - will look out for your postings.

Rundown - respect !!

• Options

Rundown - top stuff. Those times out your 'age-grading' somewhere around 87-88% which is sweeeeeeet.

The more times I read this thread the more I think that I really have to do something - and if I want to be in top shape for what should be my 'peak' years it really has to start now!

At the moment I keep changing my mind about whether to race in June/July or no. On the one hand it will be good to have something to focus on, on the other I know it will leave me disappointed because I will only have done 10-12 weeks of training. There are some good events near hear in June and July though, Summer Solstice 8k in the forest, and also a Saab Solomen 10k in the forest.

• Options
    Andy - If you're keen to ramp the mileage up quickly over the coming months then just do all your running at a slowish pace.
  • Options
    I started age 26 overweight,30-a day,Heavy drinker and 12 years of dreadful living.3 years later off moderate training 60 miles per week with no structure have achieved 34.25 10k,16.36 5k,1.16 half and 2.43 marathon.Just joined a new club (Morpeth)and with training with better runners plus i have the intention of upping weekly miles to 100 mpwas i totally agree with the previous posts that a higher mileage is the key.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that is an incredible story gary! from history to those times.

I feel ashamed I'm only at a mid 37min 10k as I live the existence of a monk! Must be the traing being the missing link...only 50miles a week for 6months...often no long run in the week...not great speed training..ie no track....must do better!!

• Options
    60 miles a week with no speedwork at all should get you under 37 minutes....
  • Options

Stevie G - there are plenty of ways of doing speedwork without having access to a track. I know of a guy who ran 14.15 for 5k without ever training on the track. Fartlek, hills, reps on grass - loads of options. One of my favourite sessions when I was at my best was simply 2 x mins hard / 2mins easy x 10 round the edge of my local park.

Getting up to 60mpw would certainly help too!

And as for starting training at 28 - i know loads of guys who took up running at that age and later and who have ran well for many years after. A good friend of mine started at 28 and ran 14.48 for 5k aged 41. Not everyone is going to get that quick, but definitely a late starter can still make improvements for up to about 10 years. 

• Options

Bazza - 14.48 - happy days!!

By the way I spent a good portion of my Easter weekend reading through that 'Marathon running then and now' thread that you contributed heavily to. What a great thread that was, I was hooked on it when I started reading it. There must be enough material in there for a sizeable book! Fascinating stuff.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

60.5miles last week...a new high lol.

and with saturday off...driving to stoke on trent...a  300mile round trip to watch wycombe v port vale!