Options

Newcastle Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I can't, well not very well, just a lot of splashing and not much forward motion, but I did manage 1500m last year for a triathlon off a 500m and a 1000m training swim
  • Options
    andy sly wrote (see)

I don't know if anybody is interested but my brother and I are attempting the Great East Swim in September and he has set up a justgiving page for Cancer Research, any donations appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

http://www.justgiving.co.uk/kevsly/

Doh ! forgot to post the link

• Options

Week one of the schedule done and dusted. A nice easy start for me, just 35 miles in total.

Mon - Body Combat and Body Pump
    Tue - 400m swim and Spinning (pracising transition for a tri I've somehow agreed to do even though I can't really swim or ride a bike)
    Wed - 8.5 miles steady (oh good, some running at last!)
    Thu - intervals - 4 x 800m on grass plus WU/CD = 5 miles total
    Fri - 5.5 miles recovery
    Sat - 576m swim (odd length pool)
    Sun - 16 miles LSR

• Options

Is anyone else actually doing any training?! image

Week 2 ticked off on the schedule. 38.8 miles so just over 10% increase on last week.

Mon - nothing - I didn't feel well at all
    Tue - 2 miles steady on treadie
    Wed - League Race - 5.8 miles (finshed 12th)
    Thu - Swimming - 600m of various drills
    Fri - 1.8 mile run to gym, 45 min spinning class, 8.55 mile run home the very very long way
    Sat - nothing - dentist then work
    Sun - Belper Rugby Rover 30k plus swimming (240m of drills)

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hi CC I'm doing a teeny bit of training. Sounds like you are working frighteningly hard at it. I fancied the Belper thing as it's fairly local but it didn't work out domestically. Hope it went well. Keep up the good work.
  • Options

Just you and me then Poacher? Where is everyone else?

Mon - rest (I was broken from the 30k and had an electrician round to do some work)
    Tue - am 5 miles recovery, pm 5 miles @MP
    Wed - 6 miles steady
    Thu - Intervals - 5 x 900m on grass
    Fri - Spinning class, 1 mile on treadie, core stability
    Sat - Swimming drills
    Sun - 20.01 miles, last two faster than MP

• Options

Hello

Been away for the last couple of  weeks. I will be honest I havent ran a single step (shame on me!!) for the last few weeks. Holibob and slight/moderate case of CBA. I did swim a bit though when I was away. Got quite back into it. Thinking it would be a good idea to get myself to the pool a couple of times a week. Try and balance things out a bit training wise as currently I only really run.

Back out this morning though. Just under 8 miles which went surprisingly well.

Number for the GNR turned up while I was away.

• Options

It's still very quiet on here!

Last week's training ticked off the list. It was a cut back week:

Mon - Rest
    Tues - AM Swimming PM 4.5 miles plus core strength
    Wed - 9.5 miles steady
    Thu - Swimming followed immediately by Interval training (Sort of paar lauf Kenyan Hills)
    Fri - Rest (marshalling at club race)
    Sat - Double or Quit 10 Mile Race (think I came 3rd but not yet confirmed as results still aren't up. Grr)
    Sun - Rest (although I painted the first coat on my bedroom ceiling and that has got to count as cross training!)

• Options

Blimey, I do hope this thread picks up before the event! Come on folks, you must be doing some training????

Mon - MARS Sprint Triathlon (my first ever)
    Tues - 2 mile recovery run, foam roller and stretching
    Wed - 10 miles (had to abort - legs weren't playing. Still clocked 9.65 but from 7 onwards it was more of a limp/hobble/shuffle than a run)
    Thu - Swimming (intervals aborted due to wednesday's run
    Fri - 3.5 miles testing the legs, Body Pump class
    Sat - rest (if 6 hours of shop work and 3 hours of decorating counts as rest)
    Sun - 20.12 painful miles followed by painful sports massage.

Do you ever wonder why we do this to ourselves?

• Options
    Last three weeks have done 71 miles, 80 miles and 36 this week, eased off because of Great Yorkshire Run, hopefully have a big week this week and then easy week again leading into the GNR.
  • Options
    Also done about 120 miles on bike and swum about 5 miles over this period.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

CC2 - I'm doing a duathlon this weekend therefore so far my marathon training hasn't been that as such.  Also, had a calf strain which has meant 4 weeks off running but lots of cycling.

Once I get this weekend out of the way I'll be back into longer road runs and test my calf.  As ever your training looks spot on!

• Options

I don't do anything that you would call structured training, tempo runs, intervals and all that. However, since returning from  the Swiss Alpine marathon six weeks ago, I have increased my average mpw from hogh 30s to mid 50s, with a longest run of 19.

Indeed just been out for 12 this morning. I'd better ease off now though as I have a marathon distance event (not a race) this Saturday, running on the newly completed trail around Kielder water, which shpuld be interesting

• Options
    Hooray! I was beginning to worry I'd be running this on my own image.
  • Options

I can't make plans as precisely as you CC2 but I'll have a rough go.

Mon:  15 mile slow club run
    Tue:     7 mile run, 6 mile bike, 1 mile swim.
    Wed:   6 mile run, 10 mile bike.
    Thur:  12 mile run, 5 mile bike, 1 mile swim.
    Fri:        5 mile run.
    Sat:      8 mile run
    Sun:     7 mile run

But everything could change.

• Options

They're not plans Andy, they're what is done and dusted!

Plans for this week are much easier:-

Running - none (ITBs playing up so giving them a rest)
    Painting the bedroom - lots and lots.

• Options
    Ah, thats where i'm going wrong then, thought you were being a proper pro with your training regime
  • Options

Oops - running -  6 and a bit miles. With EDDIE IZZARD! image

• Options

Well done CC2 - on all the training mostly, but also for getting to run with Eddie Izzard, very jealous! Where was that then? Gutted I missed him in leeds this week, not sure how that escaped me!

I am training too... it's not as structured as I would have liked and have only done 1 interval session so far, but the long runs are going ok and I'm planning on donig 18 tomorrow morning (will be the longest so far).

So no, you are not running this alone CC2!!! image

• Options

Shame, I would have won it image.

I ran with Eddie down the A60 into Nottingham. Top bloke. Much shorter than I imagined. I'm in the latest video diary, briefly but twice.

• Options
    cracking footage CC2.Not be long before you're signing autographs.image
  • Options

CC2...Nope, you are definitely not running it on your own.

Brilliant footage btw.

• Options

CC2 - great video clip. That bloke with the castle looks just like Frank Carson.

Yesterday I did the Kielder Challenge, 25 miles around Kielder reservoir in glorious conditions. Most enjoyable.

Some piccies here

http://www.kielderwalking.co.uk/page4.htm

Despite what it says, My time was 3:37. I would thoroughly recommend it. Next year it is on 4 September, my birthday, so I suppose I had best do it again image

• Options

Not a lot of training to report this week due to painful ITBs.

Monday - painting
    Tuesday- painting
    Wednesday - 6 miles with Eddie Izzard
    Thursday - cinema and restaurant (sadly not with Eddie Izzard)
    Friday - painting
    Saturnday - swimming
    Sunday - nothing

I've worked all 7 days this week, mon-tues at the office and sat/sun at the Robin Hood Marathon. It's been a very long week even without doing much training!

• Options
    Did my last hard session pre-GNR  this afternoon, 5 mins slow warm up then 50 mins of quick intervals, with a 5 min warm down to finish, something like 8.7 miles in the hour. Wont be pushing myself this week now, just pottering about and keeping mileage ticking over.
  • Options
    You know I'm sure I ran the Newcastle Marathon many many moons ago back in the 1980s.
    I'm afraid I lost track of its demise.
    I'm originally from Notts so I recall the Robin Hood Marathon too.

I also recall a very very long 100k at the watersports centre........not for the faint hearted thats for sure !

Nice interesting posts chaps !
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    What surface is the route on?  I've only ever walked straight across the Town Moor, which is field grass, but is this on paths, or gravel tracks, or a mixture?
  • Options

A mixture Minni. Some bits are nice tarmac, there's some gravel, a grass track and lots of cow poo.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Great cow poo - my favourite!
  • Options

I'm getting back on track again after my week off. It didn't help my ITB at all but I think I'm making some progress with a slight adjustment to how I plant my foot on landing. Anyway, 2 weeks worth (nearly) of actual training to update:

Mon: 8 miles steady
    Tue: 3 miles steady on treadmill plus 45 mins of core stability
    Wed: 5k race - 20.17 (4 seconds slower than PB)
    Thu: rest
    Fri: Had planned a run but circumstances interfered
    Sat: Had planned a rest but wanted to recce at least part of the Town Moor Marathon course so did a slow 3 miles round part of the lap.
    Sun: Great North Run (in fancy dress)
    Mon: rest
    Tue: physio enforced rest (I was in agony afterwards image)
    Wed: 7.85 miles steady
    Thu: 1 hour swimming
    Fri: 8 miles @ MP
    Sat: Fetch Midlands Mile (PW image)
    Sun: 20 miles

I really hope I can sort this ITB thing out. Today's run was promising though, I altered my landing position after 7 miles (2 of which had been very painful) and then ran the rest pain free.