The Long Green Tape Measure......

Comments

• Evening all - back from my 20-mile race, which apparently burnt just under 3000 cals. However I did celebrate with a cold pint and a chip butty (haven't had one of them for years!), but have had a pretty healthy dinner (albeit with a glass of wine) and will be back on the wagon tomorrow. Lunch & snacks for work as always are pre-prepared and ready to go.

Rodeo - I did WW a while back. Didn't lose a fantastic amount of weight, but I have used it as a base a couple of times when I've wanted to get back on track, just without actually rejoining the club.

I can't be doing with counting calories at all - I know what's good for me and what's not, as well as knowing that if I carry on eating the same when not training as when training then I will put on weight (as I did Nov-Dec last year). I just don't have a lot of self-control, so it only works when, as Foxy Lady says, my head is in the right place.

• I think that applies to anything - quitting smoking/drinking, it's the same principle.  If you aren't in the frame of mind to do it, then you won't manage it in a manner that is satisfactory to you. Simple as.

Foxy - I'm on a probiotic supplement, but eating foods that are raw, not overcooked, or fruit such as pineapple and grapefruit will help to stimulate the good bacteria in your gut, which will help to produce more stomach acid.

Have just read a piece on how stress can actually lower stomach acid levels, and to a degree so can dehydration.

Yeti - well done on your twenty miler - and at a 3000 calorie deficit, I think you can get away with the pint and the chip butty....

I burned 1085 off in just over an hour at the Market Drayton 10k today......

• Heh Yeti- sorry about that, you obviously gained the weight I lost in November/Decemberimage.

It's Monday tomorrow so start of a new week for everyone. Best of Luck to us all. The weather forecast is good so good for training and for good moods too.image

• I came up with a great idea this afternoon, so I am posting it here first and when someone nicks the idea I can sue for copyright image

You know when a friend says 'Let's meet for a coffee?'  Well, I thought that my friend and I could incorporate a plod around some of Birmingham's finest coffee shops, so that's what we will do, with a different route each time, involving a good run with our favourite beverage......

I'm calling it the Coffee Run..... image

• Vixx - nice idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to be seen in any of Brum's finest coffee shops if I've been running.... image
  • We'd be running at my pace - which is slower than most people, despite what my 10k time says.....

Besides, I thought about that, and thought that with the summer months, we can sit outside...... image

All of the places on the first run have outdoor seating, and I have a Starbucks card.....

• Hey vixx, yeah i get this, my body needs around 1500 to maintain weight, thats why i try to get to a net value of 1200 a day so there's a deficit, so if i exercise and say burn 400 cals, i'll eat up to 1600....this is the theory, sometimes (like every day last week) i go way over....but then a couple of days of sensible eating seems to keep my weight stable....checked the scales this morning and still 9 st 13.2lbs - thats 3 days in a row under 10 so hopefully will stay there!

Thanks for the parcel plan, i think i'll search stockists here and then pick some up in july when i'm home if i can't get any. My mum regularly posts me No7 beauty products! I love them and they're the only beauty products that my skin can handle so i dont' want to swap!

FL, completely agree about frame of mind and also about knowing that you can lose it if you try....the only thing is as months past i realise how much weight i could have lost in that time and then get annoyed at myself for not just getting on with it...i can't wait for the day i can get back to not thinking i need to lose weight!

Yeti, congrats on the race. Isn't that a great feeling to think you have that many calories to replace! That is guilt-free eating at its best.

So whats everyone favourite post-race or bug-run food?? I'll start off with my admittance that i live fish-finger sandwiches after a long run....(not that i've done one for over a year) followed by flapjack with custard in the afternoon when my blood sugar drops! Yum Yum!!!! Not exactly healthy but could be worse!

Vixx, are you from birmingham? where abouts?

• No pain vixx just felt heavy and like I said started to slap my right foot down. The p/formis is still a little niggly but am stretching twice a day and doing some good core work and staying on the bike as well. So it wasnt really painful it just felt heavy if that makes any sense?

• Sydney - tbh, I don't really have a favourite post-run food, as more often than not these days I feel too queasy after a long run. Yesterday I forced myself to eat a banana and a small bite of flapjack within the first hour, but that wasn't easy. I found out that my cousin works in a pub just 3 miles from where the race was, and having not seen him for about 10 years, I decided to surprise him. Needless to say, he didn't recognise me and I had to introduce myself!  He did shout me the beer & butty though image  The pint went down very easily, but had to make an effort to eat the butty.

Normally after a weekend LSR, I'll have scrambled egg on toast with vegemite image

PS. I'm in Birmingham too.... are you from this way?

• PS. Vixx - well done on the 10k!  Do you feel back into the swing of it again now you've got another race out of the way?
  • Yes i am, i was born in sutton coldfield and my mum lives in aldridge now....where abouts are you?

I haven't lived there for nearly 8 years though, moved away to uni then moved down south after uni and obviously now i'm a little further away but i'll be back there in july to stay with my mum!

Its weird how some people want to eat straight after and some don't. I'm never hungry straight away and to behonest i haven't done a long run for a long time but back when i was running 10-14 miles for my long run i really looked forward to refuelling.....i too sometimes went for egg on toast.....thats a good carbs / protein balance i think....but then got into the fish-finger sandwich habit, yum yum!

• Sydney - I'm in Moseley.  If you're back in July - are you around on 4th July? It's the Birmingham & Black Country half.... image
  • Not back until the 9th afraid and even then i have a weekend up in yorkshire for a wedding, then a weekend in london then a weekend at home for my dad's 60th birthday, won't be able to fit any races in!

My hair dresser over here is from mosely, how weird!

Had a big dinner, it was baked salmon and veg, just a lot of it....no deficit for me today but also don't think i went over either. Food today:

Breakfast: Porridge, banana and a cup of tea

Snack: Apple

Lunch: Home-made bean and veg soup

Snack: few squares of dairy milk - this really was a treat - my friend has just come back from the UK and brought proper dairy milk  - its the first i've had in over a year and was very yummy!

Dinner: Baked salmon and veg

Not bad really...but no exercise, planning a run in the morning!

• Feeling a bit left out being a Southerner!

Post long run, don't feel hungry usually, just crave a diet coke usually.  Next two days I have early morning running to fit it in and will then feel hungry all day!

So far so good today- just about to have my vegamite and salad onion bagel with cucumber, mini-toms and an apple. And some home made carrot and coriander soup I found when tidying my freezer- yum.

3.5 WW points in total. Apart from Mr FLs birthday cake there is no norty food to be found at home, and I am in the zone. My friend is visiting from Canada exactly a month today. There's motivation!image

• FL - if it's any consolation, I'm a southerner (well, southwesterner) in the Midlands...

I won't post all my eats on here (there's always too much, lol) but I'm now just tucking into my lunch of.. erm... salad with a few quorn pieces chucked in. I'd normally have a wrap or pitta to put it in, but I forgot that bit today!  Have some snackajacks in my drawer though, so will get my carb fix from them if need be....

• Blimey bit of a Midlands thread this... 

Sydney - I was born in Sutton Coldfield too. The Good Hope? Grew up in Rugeley and Blithbury (nr Abbots Bromley)image.

I have had a bad food weekend (by my new standards) and couldn't cycle commute today, nor can I tomorrow for various numerous complicated reasons...

• I abseiled down Good Hope Hospital in '07....
  • Why- was it the only way you could escape?!
  • I'm eating two ryvita with natural cottage cheese and a cup-a-soup which will be followed by a Muller Rice.image
  • I might do that later - the ryvita and cottage cheese that is, not the abseiling !

Foxy Lady - I'm a Southerner through and through.  Born and living in Oxfordshire.  We are in a minority on the Great North Run thread, though there is a good sprinkling from most regions.

Breakfast - Shreddies.

Lunch will be Ryvita and cottage cheese with pinapple in it.

• yeah it's nicer with pineapple...natural was a bit boring...

enjoyed my Muller Rice though

• I like cottage cheese with pineapple, ummh, may have to get some for a treat next week.

Tea was stirfry, chicken with loads of crispy veggies and noodles, very low fat as cooked the chicken first and used the juices to stir fry the veg. Totally stuffed now. Did have a piece of b'day cake earlier but was a FRUIT cake so that's surely healthy!!image

RLTW- you can't be too far away. Was a Wiltshire lass for 18 years, then  a 10 year stint around London and now coming up to 13 years in Berkshire (but about 2 miles from the border with Oxon.)

Hence my next 2 races are Woodley 10K and the rescheduled Wokingham HM. Then the Dorney Dash in June.

(And you can now all work out how old I am tooimage)

• Yep - did the maths Foxy.... image

Nowt wrong with that though......

• Foxy Lady -  Ooh you must be just up the M40 from me then.  I'm near Thame (junction 7) ,   I have run at Dorney a couple of times before but I'm going to do the Chiltern Chase on the Sunday instead.  It starts at Ewelme which is a beautiful village and we run roads, woods, fields and the Chiltern Way.  I can run at Dorney another time as they have quite a few races there.

I am officially starving !

Didn't get round to eating the Ryvita cos I'd had a late breakfast and wanted to get on with some cross training in the garden (pulling up mega nettles).  Had a banana for tea, cooked the kids curry, did a slow 2mile run, popped out to Asda, back just gone 10pm so now I'm thinking of food.  Oh, I did have Solero tooimage.  I was busy down the garden with me nettles and I really fancied one so I sent OH out to get me one.  Clean forgot that I was supposed to be on a diet image.   Do you think burning 214 calories will cover it?

• Morning, yes Good Hope, how strange!

Another 4 miles done this morning, it was cold but better than the hot days i've run on.

I'll have a proper read back now...

• So bizarre you're saying 'morning' Sydney, just as I'm dragging myself to bed...

FWIW, I can't stand cottage cheese image

• Yeti - not a huge fan of it myself really.  But the pineapple version has a bit more flavour and it helps to counteract the dryness of the Ryvita.  You know you're on a diet when you are eating Cottage Cheese.  Isn't that what it was invented for ?

Sydney - I think you should give us an Aus time check when you post.  My work has an office in NSW and we never get to speak to themimage

• Well its 10:45am at the moment and i should be working....FL where abouts in berkshire are you? I lived in newbury up until a year ago....and RLTW i did the dorney 10k and marlow 5mile races a couple of years ago....great area, i love henley and all round there, never been to thame though!
  • i need some help. how do you get through a biggie? half mara in my case.

i can just about crank out 10km. how the hell am i going to manage a half mara on saturday? man, i am gonna hurt. if only i had another month to lose a bit more lard (already lost 1 stone 10 lbs with plenty still to go). my overall goal is weight loss not speed, but i suspect i'm gonna find the pain hard. yikes. all tips and movation very welcome.

• Hey LS, how did you feel after 10km?....i'm no expert but a run/walk strategy may help and make it feel more manageable....

Maybe a minute walk at each mile or something like that?

Will this be your first half? Just think if it is that you're going to PB however long it takes you and you then have something to work from....and once some more weight has come off and you're further along in training you'll be able to knock loads off your time....

I completely get the feeling of knowing its going to be harder carrying some extra weight but 1 stone 10lbs is an amazing loss and think how much harder it would be if you still had the extra 1st 10....