The Long Green Tape Measure......

Comments

• Morning everyone

Running club was a bit of a disaster last night, We had three people fall in different incidents, the last one being the coach who looks like she has pulled her hamstring in the process.

We went to the pub after to say farewell to one of our squad who is leaving for a charity job in Bolivia.
  • morning!!!

that does sound like a disaster lfc! hope everyone is ok...

wabo - well done on the 10 miles.

morning dd!

rltw- got a couple of friends doing the gsr, have a fab time (0:

angel - i dont really like b&b pudding, BUT how nice to blow the calories on something you totally love!

vixx - have you been to Namaste in cheltenham? really good original indian food. the sort of place where people dont order tikka!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Rltw, I am doing the great south run!  How did we miss that? A friend at therunning club told me about the last two miles, ooh er

lfc, blimey three falls not good.  Your friend going to Bolivia and my little girl next door in Peru, she will be in Bolivia in NOvember though!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Vixx - Great Birmingham Run report please.

Productive weekend getting stuff done at home completely ruined by losing a massive star in Marco Simoncelli yesterday. Have been watching him for a couple of years now. Sad Times.
  • Sorry guys - I have had NO notifications for this thread for days but have had them for the other threads, so just thought no-one was posting image

GBR report to come - need food....

• Great Birmingham Run race report:

I have to start by saying I doctored my name on my race number as I am not passing well when I am running, and I am hating the fact that they are putting names on race numbers - at least give us the option of having our nicknames on (although I am always known as Vixx)!

My mate picked me up at 7:45am and we went to the city centre where he'd got a spot to park up around the start area. I was only having a lift in as I was walking back home afterward as part of my training for the 100 miler. He was meeting some other people to drive in in convoy and we all walked to the NIA to the baggage drop. I wanted coffee so left them there as they went to hand in their bags. Costa was open (yuk) so had an americano which I didn't manage all of. My friend who I was running with was in the queue for the toilets in Centenary Square so I went and handed my bag in and went to meet her. We headed down to the start area for Green numbers and got in the queue for the toilets there, only just making it into the pen (they shut it just as we went through).

We did the warm up and got ready to get going. As you cross the start line it is all downhill, but it's uphill whilst you are waiting to cross the start line. Seemed to take forever but then we were off image

cont...
  • Great Birmingham Run race report (cont....)

I was running with my mate (Basil Brush Mk II on here), and we had agreed to run together - although I had said if she wanted to go off ahead she could. She hadn't trained much due to being busy at work and just wanted to get round. I still think that I held her back, although she thinks the same about me. I've been working my splits and consecutive time out as I had my HR on instead of cumulative time, and I think I was on for a PB until 'the hill' between miles 10 and 12, as I was at 10 miles in around 1:52:xx which is the fastest I have run 10 miles for quite some time!

The route is a bit bland in places - going up and coming back along the Pershore Road can be a bit soul destroying, but I took my mind off it by looking out for my mates who had gone off in the earlier pens - that really distracts you from the job at hand! Saw the people we were looking for and then carried on into Bournville. BB has asthma and was a little tight at 5 miles so we stopped and walked for a little bit so she could take her inhaler and then we started running again. There was someone with a huge cape covered in stars being interviewed on TV at some point as we ran past, so if you saw a miserable looking bugger run past all in black then that's probably me! image

The best bit was the downhill bit as after the hill in Bournville it was all downhill until Cannon Hill Park.....

(cont....)
  • Great Birmingham Run race report (cont....)

Cannon Hill Park is always nice to run around, and they had the local radio station there with their DJ's commentating as people ran past them. We used the uphill bit to recover the legs a bit and then ran through the water station and out of the park. There was a little uphill at this point and when I got to the top I looked round and couldn't see Basil, who said the legs had gone at that point and told me to go on. I said that we had started together and we'd finish together, so we carried on and ran bits and walked bits. Then we got to the 10 mile marker and there was a downhill before the big hill started to climb so we ran that bit and then powerwalked up the hill.

I was walking past people who were 'running' up it, and I always think if it is easier and quicker to walk then that's what I do. Brings my HR down and allows some recovery time. The hill went on until nearly 12 miles, at which point we are nearly onto the Hagley Road/Broad Street section of the run. We started running again at this point, and as we are going onto the underpass splitting the two roads I can hear my Garmin beeping erratically, so I look at it just as it switches itself off! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggh!

I switched it back on but the GPS had switched off stopping at 12.88 miles in 2:28:xx. I didn't realise this until I had crossed the finish line. So back to the underpass. The 800m to go sign was underneath it and I actually felt a) quite good but b) feeling like I was going to barf and head was swimming - so how does that work I wonder. Legs felt good but the rest didn't. My mate who had drove me in was waiting on Broad Street with his missus and her sister and her two kids cheering on the runners. We passed 400m to go and I thought I was going to be sick, but carried on running and at 200m to go I started to sprint but BB was behind me so I slowed and waited so we could cross the line together.

2:35:08 for both of us image Not my best time, but not my worst. We carried on through the finish funnels, got goody bags and then saw BB's family and friends (and I saw some of my clients). We went and stretched and got bags and I went to Starbucks to get coffee and then walked the 9 miles home. That took me about 2hr 25 min. I felt crappy all the way home, and it was a case of putting 1 foot in front of the other until I got home.

All I'd had all day was a flapjack and 2 coffees, 1 bottle of Coke and loads of water (and a small amount of Lucozade Raspberry that I carried around the course (don't like Powerade) until Mile 10 until I chucked it away (knew I'd regret that)). I just couldn't stomach the idea of food, but know I'll have to try or I will never get through 100 miles.

I estimate I did about 23 miles total yesterday, and am pleased with that but am shattered today.

(BTW, my mate who drove me in got to meet and have his pic taken with Haile - so envious!)
  • lfc - sorry to hear about those falls - not good. Hope everyone is ok.

Angel - that made me chuckle about the bread pudding image

oii - have not been to Namaste - think it must have opened after I left. Haven't been to Cheltenham for a few years now.

wabo - your little granddaughter looks a proper cutie on FB image How's Mom and baby doing?

Will go back and see what else I have missed.....
  • Morning all

Great race report Vixx - good going to do that and then walk home.

How is everyone else this morning?

• Hi everyone

Sounds like a tough but good day Vixx. Well done sticking with your friend and fighting through the sick feeling. A nice bit of milage going on, how long till the 100 mile?

A few scrapes and bruises for the fallers except for our coach who has definitely damaged her hamstring. Should be interesting seeing who leads us out over the next couple of weeks.
  • Now officially 8 lbs lighter than 4 weeksd ago.

6 lbs to go to 2nd targetimage

• YEAH! Nice one birkmyre!!!! Fantastic! image

lfc - March 3rd....
  • Well done on your race Vixx.
  • just fab race report vixx!!!! thank you for taking so much time to do it (0:
    Sounds like it was a successful outing even if you didnt refuel enough, tut tut!

what else have you got planned now for thames 100 build up?
  • Someone on the Great Birmingham Run page has mentioned something about the Flying Fox 10 - am looking to see a bit more about that.

Entries for next year open on Wednesday at midday....
  • Hi folks

Well done at GBR Vixx.  A very acceptable time.  Why on earth did you walk all that way home, you mad thing ?!!!

Wabo - I'm hoping it isn't as breezy in Southsea as it is up here in Aberdeenshire.  Not really a bad temperature though. 

Birkmyre - That's a great achievement and you are so close to your goal.  Keep it up.

I've done no training (or races) since Royal Parks, as usual image. Quite glad Great South is flat and only 10 miles - I may not be saying that at mile 7 !!   Could be wishing is was a 10K at that point!

nite all

• Morning all

Nice one Birkmyre - good going that.

What are everyone's goals, races etc for the lead up to Christmas. 

Mine are: I am going to try and lose at least half a stone, train properly for the Tatton Yule Yomp 10k and try and finish it in a faster time than last year.  I am also considering entering the Chester Round the Walls Race on Boxing day.

• Morning all,

Well done on the race vixx, and a brilliant race report.

Well on birkmyre, shows how quickly a steady 2lb a week really builds up. 

DD - my goals before christmas are to establish a sensible, healthy eating and exercise regime and get back into it.  Feeling very unfit at the moment. Would also like to lose a few lbs, but think i'll do the opposite of normal, and go for an easing in approach rather than start with a couple of strict weeks for big weight loss.

• RLTW - training for the 100 miler was why I walked home....

DD - I'm looking forward to the Yule Yomp image

Hi Angel - you'll probably find that when you get back into exercise you'll want to eat healthier....
  • Vixx - that's what i figured too, i've started going back to rosemary conely, but was avoiding going because I didn't want to get weighed, so i told my instructor that I will just come along to the zumba fr a bit, but not get weighed, thought it might be a better way o get myself back on track!

• Thanks you lot.

Yeah it is beginniig to be a routine now. Can't say its always been easy. Don't suppose it's meant to be though !image

• Morning all - I see we are up and running again.  I could'nt get on here yeasterday.

Hope everyone is ok.image

I am a chocolate free zone this week - see if that makes any difference.

• No-one could DD - everyone was getting RSOD (Red Screen of Death)....

Hi birkmyre! How are you today?

DD - how is the choc free zone going, or is it starting today?
  • Started Monday Vixx - so far so good.

I am looking forward to the Yule Yomp as well - gradually getting back into the running now but have had a bit of a cold and cough for the last week or so so I am taking it easy.  Will have a go at some intervals next week.