Options

Great running book

Anyone else reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougal? I am half way through and I'm loving it.

It's about ultra-running and the Tarahumara tribe. It's also a kind of adventure / travel book. It's written in a very entertaining style and is full of interesting characters.

It wont really teach you anything about running (except perhaps that the more expensive your trainers are the more likely you are to get injured?) but it could well inspire you to get out there more often and remember to run with a smile on your face.

Comments

• Options
    Is it written by the same bloke who was in RW a while ago talking about a tribe he was running with?  The tribe seem to have a natural ability to run huuuuge amount of miles with very little effort.  They also eat/drink a sort of beer mash type stuff.
  • Options

It is the same tribe that was in the RW article. I'm not sure if it was the same writer though.

Yes, the Tarahumara think nothing of running on mountain trails for 24 or 48 hours straight. Part of the story is about whether it is possible to relearn the 'lost art' of running Tarahumara style.

• Options

I think I will give it a look. 

Thanks Kryten image

• Options

According to Amazon, the hardback is out on the 23rd April, and the paperback not till next year?

Shame if so, would have been a good read when I go to Egypt next month.

• Options
    I bought the hardback from Amazon and got it 2 or 3 days ago!
  • Options

Boing...

Has anyone read this book yet? What did you think?

• Options

I remember reading an article about this running tribe about 15 or 16 years ago by the Runners World Coach Bruce Tulloch.

Haven't read the book yet.

A Fathers Day pressie possibility though !

• Options

I have almost finished this book and I am finding it hard to put down.  It is a fantastic read...

The book describes Christopher McDougall's time with both the Tarahumara indians in Mexico and his experiences with a group of top class ultra runners (including Scott Jurek) and a host of weird and wonderful characters including Caballo Blanco (White Horse) and Barefoot Ted...

The author was advised to give up running due to repeated injury but decided to go back to basics and study the Tarahumara tribe who run wearing only sandals (I think they were featured on Last Man Standing as well recently).  

The book is more than a story about running, its an adventure story and it also provides some convincing arguments about the pros and cons of wearing cushioned shoes V barefoot running....

As I say, its a great read and the fact that it is about running is just a bonus...

Highly recommended....

• Options

I finished the book this week and was so upset when I did. Just wanted it to go on forever!

Maybe I'm very easily led but it just made me want to throw out my trainers and be a bare footed hippy. Only problem is that there absolutely nowhere same to go for a shoeless run.

Love this book and I want everyone read it too. Slowly though, you won't it to end.

• Options
    Yep its a a great book,totally loved it. Im with you LP84 , ended too soon.
  • Options

I read the book and enjoyed it from start to finish. I did a google search on Caballo Blanco and it's interesting to see he lets you book trips with him and will take you on runs through the Copper Canyons.

The only downside to the book is a lack of pictures. I ended up on google images to check out what Scott Jurek, Jenn Shelton etc look like. It's a wierd thing but I like to put faces to people I read about. You do have a square head don't you Kryten? That's the picture of you I have in my mind.

The book builds up to the final 50 mile race between the people mentioned throughout; Author, Scott Jurek, Billy, Barefoot Ted, Jenn Shelton and the Tarahumara's best runners. Obviously I'm not going to spoil it for you by telling you who wins but you can get a report inc pictures on Caballo Blanco's website (easily found on Google). It also gives you the times of the finishers which I don't think are in the book

• Options
    I have to agree with the other glowing reviews here (boring I know): an excellent book!
  • Options
    Superb book. I've read twenty plus running books and this one is top of the pile. Probably one of the only running books I've read that non-runners would find interesting too.
  • Options
    I managed to get the unabridged audiobook of Born To Run. I used to listen to it while out running, made 15 or 26 miles etc fly by. I was so upset when it finally finished mid-run i had to summon all my stamina to keep me running and not just shuffle despondently home.

As well as having a cracking narrative pace to it there is alot of information that makes you think. I personally found the section on Nike/Barefoot running very intriguing and plan to look into the points raised when it comes to getting a new pair of trainers.

Well....if in fact i need some new ones image
  • Options
    XKXK ✭✭✭
    Th absolutely best book I have read, ever.
  • Options

Jamie A, where did you get the Audio book from? It doesn't appear to be on amazon UK. It's not on a share site by any chance is it (not that I'm advocating piracy or anything).

Reading it tipped me over the edge into ultras and low profile trainers, so beware!

• Options
    I'm going to get this for a friend's birthday tomorrow if they've got it in stock locally. image 
  • Options
    @daymion.

My bro got the audiobook from Amazon.com, as he lives in Athens it is cheaper for him to to use the US site, and he burnt me a copy which i mp3'd and stuck on my ipod. Technically illegal i guess but i could not buy it in the UK.

Out of interest which low profile trainers do you recommend as would like to try them but have no idea what to be looking at.
  • Options

I really enjoyed the book too.

II was intrigued by the barefoot thing as I always walk around barefoot. Found some video of barefoot running on Youtube showing different foot strike of the same person in trainers then barefoot. Went outside and ran down the garden in bare feet and low and behold foot strike was completely different. I usually run on trails etc but was in the gym today and it was empty so took off shoes and ran in socks on the treadmill (usually avoid the treadmill but was curious) felt different but good different.

• Options
    I keep having the urge to pop my trainers off when out and give the barefoot thing a go.

Then i see some dog poo on the trail and decide against it.
  • Options
    Just bought the book for a friend and couldn't resist getting myself a copy too.  Can't wait to get home!  image
  • Options
    Jamie (late response just back from holiday), I do the majority of my running off road and use the Mizuno Wave Harrier. I've got a pair of Mizuno Elixir for the road. They are both quite wide in the toe so suite me, but all the major brands seem to do a low profile range.
  • Options
    Most of the way through this book ... REALLY enjoying it.  Buy it or borrow it .... but READ it. image
  • Options

Just started and doing a chapter every night.  Straight into it.

• Options
    I finished it!  Thanks for the recommendation Kryten.  I completely loved it - it was so inspiring.  I cried quietly on a plane when I read about the friendship between BT and ML.  image
  • Options
    I've just started it, gave me the kick I needed to learn pose, had my first session at the weekend image
  • Options

Got it today from Amazon and only £9.34 with free P&P

Looking forward to a good read now after all the rave reviews

• Options
    Ooh I don't think you'll be disappointed Gaz.image
  • Options
    Ordered it yesterday from Amazon with overnight delivery, really looking forward to reading it, especially since I have a week's  leave starting on Monday.  Thanks people - I've meant several times to get this but forgot.