Harlow 10 miles 2009

Was trying to find another small half marathon around my area and came across this race. If I decide to enter it will only be my third race having done the first, half marathon last year in a time of 1hr 53 and recently the Bungay half in 1hr 42mins and 32secs. I would like to complete the course in under 70 mins but there seems to be a lot of hills and the temperature must be a killer.

Comments

• Worked it out. From the route link, from above post click on settings and then tick diplay elevation.

It is all down hill from the 7th mile and the hills are gradual inclines.

• Ockhan Razor,

Thanks for your interest in the Harlow 10.

The hill that you may have seen described in some of the RW race reports is not in the course this year. The route can be described as undulating - there are some gradual climbs but nothing too serious. It is true to say that we have been blessed/cursed wth the hottest day of the year for the last two Harlow 10's.

Apologies that you could not get the profile up straight away - I shall look to sort that one out.

Webmaster
    Harlow Running Club

• Hi VicnVin,

Just a few questions. Will there be a lot of club athletes running, in other words, is this part of a grand prix or a race fixture? Will it be chip timed? Lastly, will a list of those that have entered appear on the website? As I like to enter a few weeks before the race, but do not want to miss out if my training has gone well and find you have reached the limit.

Thanks

O R

• having run in this a few times ...

yes there are a lot of club athletes running, the vast majority of the field I'd say, but could be wrong. it's quite speedy. I'm always in the last 20 :<

there is no chip timing

as far as I know I think there is always entries available on the day I signed up for last years in the last week I think

• Thanks GingerLoon. It looks to be an easy enough course.
  • Ockam Razor,

We have a mixture of club/non club athletes running, but is not chip timed. We have always had entries on the day available, but I would always advise entering in advance to avoid any potential dissapointment.

• Week One
    Mon
    5M (miles) (approx 41 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 800m (or 3 mins) fast, with 200m (1-min) recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 7M (approx 50 mins) steady
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M (approx 21 mins) brisk, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 6M (approx 49 mins) easy
    Sun 13M (approx 1hr 47) easy

Week Two
    Mon 7M (approx 50 mins) steady
    Tue 1M jog, then 8 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 7M (approx 50 mins) steady
    Sun 13M (approx 1hr 33) steady

Week Three
    Mon 7M (approx 58 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 1M (or 6 mins) brisk, with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed Rest
    Thu 7M (approx 50 mins) easy
    Fri 5M (approx 41 mins) easy
    Sat 5M (approx 40 mins) slow
    Sun 14M (approx 1hr 40) steady

Week Four
    Mon 5M (approx 41 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 1K (or 4 mins) fast, with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 8M (approx 57 mins) steady
    Thu 1M jog, then 12 x 200m (or 45 secs) fast, with 100m (30-sec) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 1M jog, then 8M (approx 60 mins) fartlek, then 1M jog
    Sun 16M (approx 1hr 55) steady

Week Five
    Tue 1M jog, then 2 x 2M (or 13 mins) fast, with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 9M (approx 65 mins) steady
    Thu 1M jog, then 12 x 200m (or 45 secs) fast, with 100m (30-sec) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 1M jog, then 7M (approx 53 mins) fartlek, then 1M jog

Week Six
    Tue 1M jog, then 200m (or 45 secs) fast, 400m (or 90 secs) fast, 800m (or 3 mins) fast, 400m fast, 200m fast, all with 100m (30-sec) jog recoveries, then extra 200m (1-min) jog. Repeat sequence once, then 1M jog to warm-down
    Wed 10M (approx 82 mins) steady
    Thu 4M (approx 27 mins) brisk
    Sat Rest
    Sun 10K Race

<!--end left-hand table-->
  • Week Seven
    Tue 1M jog, then 12 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 8M (approx 57 mins) steady
    Thu 5M (approx 41 mins) easy
    Fri 1M jog, then 20 x 2 mins up hill, jog back. Then 1M jog at end of session
    Sat Rest
    Sun 18M (approx 2hr 09) steady

Week Eight
    Mon 7M (approx 57 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 10 x 200m (or 45 secs) fast, with 100m (30-sec) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 5M (approx 41 mins) easy
    Thu 5M (approx 41 mins) easy
    Sat Rest
    Sun 12M (approx 83 mins) brisk

Week Nine
    Tue 1M jog, then 16 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 13M (approx 1hr 33) steady
    Thu 1M jog, then 2 x 3M brisk (approx 21 mins), with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 7M (approx 48 mins) brisk
    Sun 10K Race

Week Ten
    Tue 8M (approx 57 mins) steady
    Thu 5M (approx 36 mins) steady
    Sat Rest
    Sun 16M (approx 1hr 55) steady

Week Eleven
    Tue 1M jog, then 12 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 10M (approx 1hr 12) steady
    Thu 5M (approx 34 mins) brisk
    Fri Rest
    Sat 5M (approx 41 mins) easy

Week Twelve
    Mon 5M (approx 36 mins) steady
    Tue 1M jog, then 10 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Thu 4M (approx 28 mins) brisk
    Fri 5M (approx 36 mins) steady
    Sat Rest
    Sun Race Day!

<!--end left-hand table-->
  • I do not think we will get many posters on this thread, so I will use it as a training blog. Having completed a half marathon at a pace of 7min 50sec/mile it does seem impossible to jog at a pace set in the schedule. So I decided to see how much I need to improve over the next three months to get down to 7min/mile. Yesterday done the warm up jog and cool down jog which included a minute recovery but also done the 6 x 3 mins fast and 5 x 1 min recovery. Using mapmyrun worked out the distance. Should have been 5800m but only done 5200m. A bit slow, but managed the distance in just over 7 mins/ mile.

Today jogged 7.125m which needs to be done in about 51 mins. It took 53 mins 23secs. Nearly two and a half minutes slow, but happy as it is the fastest I've been on that route. Knocking 2 minsoff the time. Think I will be able to do the 10 mile race in 70 mins if the training goes well.

Week One
    Mon
    5M (miles) (approx 41 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 800m (or 3 mins) fast, with 200m (1-min) recoveries, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest

• Looking forward to starting the schedule on Monday, but in the mean time tried the Thursday jog. Used a 1.5 mile circuit and completed the two laps in 21 mins 47 secs. The first lap was 11mins 5 secs and the second lap 10 mins 42 secs. Need to increase my pace by 15 sec/mile.
  • Ockham - There will be more posters closer to the race.
  • VicnVin, they normally come out of the wood work a few weeks before the race. In the mean time, I've started the schedule.

Week One
    Mon
    5M (miles) (approx 41 mins) easy Done 5.625 miles, should be jogged in approx 46 mins. Never been good at getting the pace right and done the route in 44 mins and 36 secs. Didn't feel easy, but this is my new easy pace so have to get use to it.
    Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 800m (or 3 mins) fast, with 200m (1-min) recoveries, then 1M jog As I done this last week. There was a slight  improvement on the distance completed on the intervals. Still short of the 6000m needed to be done. Overall jogged further andabout 15 secs quicker.
    Wed 7M (approx 50 mins) steady Going to do 7.125 Miles in about 51 minutes. Lets see if I can knock two and half minutes off the time taken last week, as I took to long last week
    Fri Rest

Tempted to go for the Colchester 10k on Sunday.

• Wed 7M (approx 50 mins) steady Done 7.125 miles (approx 51 mins). Took 53 mins and 36 mins, was hard work. So there is no way I can get to 7min/mile in twelve weeks.
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M (approx 21 mins) brisk, then 1M jog Done the 3 miles last week in 21 mins and 47 secs. Today it took 15 secs longer.
    Fri Rest

Will do the Saturday 6 miles tomorrow and then decide on the Sunday 10k race. Aiming for a 7min 30 sec/mile or under 47 mins.

• Fri Rest Done Saturdays run as I intended to do a 10k race Sunday. Only 5.625 miles and should be done in 46 mins. What a coincidence for Sunday, done the jog in 44 mins and 43 secs.
    Sun 13M (approx 1hr 47) easy Colchester 10k race, only entered on the day and aimed for a time under 47 mins. Went off too fast and thought I might struggle for it. Jogged with someone who kept the pace up and managed to complete the course in 44mins and 43 secs on my watch. No way did I think I would be able to do it in under 45 minutes.

My times for the whole week worked out at under 8 min/mile. No tapering for the race.

• Think I'll be alright to carry on the schedule next week.

Week Two
    Tue 1M jog, then 8 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 7M (approx 50 mins) steady

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the race this year, but just wanted to add that I think it's a really great event.

Have done it twice - 2005 & 2008 and on both occasions it was a well organised & good race. Parking, as with any popular event, can be difficult so it's best to arrive in plenty of time & consider where you're parking for a quick exit!!!

Race memento on both years has also been excellent - I still use my towel from 2005.

I'm just convincing myself to try harder to fit it in this year image

• Thanks mitten, I like small fields, so 500 runners is about right. Is there a medal, as I was disappointed that I did not get one today at Colchester.
  • OR - The exact nature of this years momento has not been decided. I'll get back to you when I have more information.
  • While searching for a race which was new to everyone, I came across this race and duly selected it for our club championship, so you should have a fair few of us up from Maidstone for the day, and if you don't, it'll mean extra points for me!

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sir CdeC - this is a nice race and nice HQ. I have done it twice and it is my cousins running club, so we use to have a bit of a get together round my aunt and uncles afterwards. Unfortunately have not been able to do it last year and this year because of our hoilday and hubbys shift work.
  • I read positive things about it before selecting it, and a regular turnout of 500-600 is usually a good indication of a well-organised race (organisers of Bath Half, please note, not "always"), but thank you for your personal endorsement as well.
  • VicnVin, I'm quite happy with a medal. Others may not be, if they have a fair few filling up a draw. Bought a T-shirt for my first ever race, the Norwich half last year, not too happy with it being white and will probably never wear it.
  • Week Two
    Mon
    7M (approx 50 mins) steady

Monday: Jogged a 7.125 mile course and should have completed it in 51 mins. As I ran a race on Sunday at a pace of 7mins 12 secs/mile. (Only need to knock 12 seconds off per mile to achieve my pace for the Harlow 10) Took it easy as I do not want an injury. One hour and one minute. Ten minutes slower, felt achey, but could have jogged further.

Tuesday: Worked out the distance of the intervals and I should cover 3 miles in 20 minutes. I was 300 meters short of the distance or about 1.5 minutes recovery jogging. Not bad for me.

Wednesday: Again should be done in 51 minutes on my 7.125 mile route. Took 55 mins and 28 secs nearly 4.5 minutes slow. So gradually recovering from my race on Sunday.

• It's Springfield Striders Club Championship 10 miler so there will probably be a few more Yellow & white Vests than normal!
  • It's turning into a big club event. Looked at last year results and the first 33 belonged to clubs. Bob are you going for this race? I have not signed up yet, will see how my training progresses.
  • Please note: we very nearly reached the race limit last year. It may well fill up before the day, so get your entries in early, if you can.
  • Thanks VicnVin, is it possible to let us know when you have around 350 runners?
  • Thanks for the warning.