Harlow 10 miles 2009

Comments

• I shall be there again this year

expecting to be in the last 20

again

• I'm going to be there.

HRC are absolutely lovely people and though I've not raced Harlow 10 before have done XCs with them and train regularly there and always get a fantastic welcome.

Will be running if I can convince my coach and if so hopefully challenging for the win. If I can't then will you be needing volunteers to help out VicNVin?
  • Hobbling Harrier

We are always needing willing volunteers to help out on Harlow 10 day. Please send the club an e-mail: harlowrc@gmail.com if you do want to help out.

• Hiya! Just signed up as usual, sadly bored on a Saturday night and seems to be the time I look for runs! Slow Plodder persuaded me on this one. I'll be there!
  • Week Two
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M (approx 21 mins) brisk, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 7M (approx 50 mins) steady
    Sun 13M (approx 1hr 33) steady

Thursday: Completed the 3M in 21mins and 49secs using a 1.5M route. The second lap only took 10 mins and 34 secs.

Saturday: Beat my Thursday time by 4 seconds. Still slow by 4mins and 24 seconds.

Sunday: Not going to try for the time as most of my training has been under 40 miles a week and this week will be 44 miles and next week over 50 miles. Set off at an easy pace just over 8 min mile. At 7 miles wanted to give up. No, determined to get the distance, so done another route which will get me just under 13 miles. Jogged 12.75M in 1 hour 45 mins and 49 secs

• Next week.

Week Three
    Mon 7M (approx 58 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 1M (or 6 mins) brisk, with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed Rest
    Thu 7M (approx 50 mins) easy
    Fri 5M (approx 41 mins) easy
    Sat 5M (approx 40 mins) slow
    Sun 14M (approx 1hr 40) steady

• Hey Ockham,

Have you looked at Fetcheveryone? You can blog on there, and record training and PBs and everything? You might find it useful.

T

• Thanks Tracy will give it a look.
  • I tried it as I usually blog.. but blogged for a year on Run To The Beat London Half Mara and they don't seem to have their forums open yet for this year. and you could import it to Facebook from there.

I joined Fetch but left.. meant to be very supportive at runs. Only left as it was too much for me to work out image Think you might like it though... can record everything. I couldn't get blog to import to FBook.

Oh, and it's part of Runners World.

• Tracy, had a look. Maybe next year, they all seem to have done no end of races. I've only done three. Had intended to do only two this year. One Spring half marathon and one Autumn half as I like the cooler months. It was my second race, at Bungay that changed my mind. It was a bit warm and I ran well, so entered the Colchester 10k and that went even better. Harlow could be my third this year to help get me under 1hr 30 mins for a half marathon. (Probably the Norwich).
  • You are training well then!

Ah but, they are very supportive on there - I just like the simpleness of this site. You can keep records of your training easily though. You shouldn't be put off but the levels of others - I generally find, as a bit of a slow runner (just out of 'plodding phase') that anyone above my level are extremely supportive.

You can blog, enter your times and it works out  your PBs!, and record all your training. Think it would do the job for you. Me... I don't write anything down image

• OR

Fetch is a great place to record all your training & race times.

There's so much more to it than that though, but it's up to you which resources you do & don't use on the site. You'll find great supporrt if you do blog or use the chat threads.

I would certainly recommend starting on there to log your training & races and then take it from there.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Tracy - I record my race results and training runs on Fetch. Also joined 1,000 running miles a year thread, which is very supportive.
  • Hiya, yes I did join, briefly, just found between here, email, msn, and Facebook I had enough to look at each time I logged on image I did enter all my races, and had contact with a couple of people. There is so much you can do on there.. it just seemed too much. I've no doubt it's beneficial, thought it def would be for OR as he is recording his training. Was just trying to help image

• Tracy, I recorded my training runs for Bungay half. Should have posted on the training forum but did not want all the attention. Thanks for the help, will give Fetch some serious thought.

Bob you have done quite a few races and distances.

• I can strongly recommend fetcheveryone as place to log training, blog and support in races. The support given in the recent FLM and Halstead Marathons was particuarly good.
  • The committee has decided that cotton T-shirts will be the memento this year.
  • Do you want me to get back to posting VicnVin? Might get more people interested in the race. Only about 70 runners so far.

The 1hr 30 mins Garmin schedule has been a real struggle to jog at the required paces, still I think I could get round in under 75 mins now. Another six weeks to go, and to get to 70 mins looks a tall order.

• Ockam R - we have taken our eyes of the forum, apologies.

The 1:30 schedule you are following is a Half Mara Shedule I assume given your 70-75 minute target. I trained for a 1:30.12 half using the RW 1:30 schedules and the paces are tough if you do not have the raw speed. Endurace can get you a long way though.

We traditionally get a large number of postal entries and people enteringp on the day.

• VicnVin, yes it is a half marathon schedule. Hope to do a half race in the Autumn, possibly Norwich or a smaller race if I can find one. If you use McMillan race calculator,it gives a time of 67:46 for a 10 mile race if you can get a 90 min half. As it has taken me about six weeks to get comfortable at doing 40 mile weeks I think a realistic time would be 70 mins. So that is what I am aiming for. Plus I'm struggling to keep a 7 min mile pace, it is currently 7:10

I'll probably post my entry this week and save the £2 it costs to enter though this site. What size envelope do you require for the S.A.E?

• OR. The Application form states a large SAE is required, so I would go for A4 sized.
  • In the post today.

A RW event upate, e-mail says 98 Runners' World runners have entered. Closing date 10th July.

• From a spectating point, is there positions around the course that you could walk to, to cheer me on and get back to the finish in time. My wife and maybe my two boys might watch.
  • OR, take a look at the route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/harlow/619123705410270934

For spectating you essentialy have two choices unless you are prepared to run around a lot (not easy!):

You could walk from the start to ~0.5 miles where there is a park as this may offer a better view of the runners once they have spread out after the start, allowing an easy walk back for the track finish. I would certainly advise being at the finish to whatch the fast track sprints to the line!

Alternatively, you could go to the 2.5/6.5 mile point where runners pass twice over the motorway bridge, but parking out here is not easy, but possible in the housing estates near the 2 mile marker. It should be possible to get back in time, but it would be tight.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks VicnVin, my wife and boys might walk across the park.
  • Sent an e-mail yesterday and received a reply the same day. Apparently there is some delay in sending out race numbers.
  • Thought I would just check to see if they have updated the list of runners and they have. My name is in the list.

http://www.thehrc.org.uk/harlow10/harlow10_entrants_2009.pdf

• Cannot believe it, it will be July tomorrow and nobody other than VicnVin and me has posted since 17th May.

• Hello! I've posted now too image

Too busy with other runs prior to Harlow 10.. this will probably get busier nearer the time image

• Hi TracyB, I've noticed you,ve been busy. Good luck with the High Ongar race Sunday and you're braver than me. Entered a full marathon.