Harlow 10 miles 2009

Comments

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Rick - Could you please do me a favour and take photos of Dagenham 88 Runners.

Vic - If Steve Mckenzie is running wish him good luck from me.

• Rick - perhaps they are trying to push the posts up on their forum image 

Photos are easy of me... I'm at the back, red Nike run t-shirt (just like my profile picture.. that was at the back too!) so there's always clear space around me image

Great to get photo link before the race as they're often hard to find. Thanks Rick.

• gmikegmike ✭✭✭

oh no there's double of everyone now ... TracyTraceyBG image

Hi RichK n TraceyG .. remember me? the shivering Benfleet RCer from Serpies NYD ... Have recruited TracyB for the next one .. roll on January 1st image

Are you running Sunday TraceyG?

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    gmike - No I am not running it this year. Hubby is working and we are going on holiday on Wednesday, just too much to do.
  • don't worry, Tracey G, I'll be taking photos of everyone if at all possible image

will look out for your TracyB image

just about, gmike!! seems a long long time ago now! I'm looking forward to the next NYD 10k too image

plan is to mingle at the Race HQ and get shots of the volunteers setting up, and general shots of the pre-race fun and nerves . . then some photos of the start . . and then once you've set off, to leap in the car and get to somewhere between 6 and 7½ miles (ie somewhere either side of, but not close to, the bridge over the M11) to get you all out on the run . . 

and then to scurry back to the finish to get some more general shots of what's going on image

• RichK if I went much slower I'd be walking but could do with a decent race pick  as thinking it's about time to kill off the squirrel.... so please look out for no 25 likely in a black/white vest at end of race happy with sub 80 mins or crying if it's more than that! 

TraceyB/all - see ya tomorrow and run like the wind!!

• TNT no way are you slow.. bugsy at the back (deja vous image ) No. 37  (almost my hip measurements!). Look forward to seeing you again tomorrow.

Rick you'll see me - I'm usually about 4th from the back in most the races.... will look out for you as I like to take a sec to adjust my hair for the camera image - expected time around 1:55 - hopefully within the 2hr cutoff!

gmike will you please stop putting me forward for races.. Billericay 10, Boxing Day Witham 5, NYD Serpentine 10k, marshalling the Benfleet 15 so you can run... I just don't know what I've done to deserve you image  FGS.. I don't even know you image 

VicnVin I have virtual BFs form all signed, see you tomorrow. Good luck for a smooth event image

Have a good race everyone image

• Good luck tomorrow everyone.

Vic will be on the late entries desk, then marshalling at the gate leading up to the Water tower.  Vin will be at a roundabout at about 1 and a half miles, getting shouted at by Harlow locals for blocking the road...

Hope you all enjoy the race.

VnV

• Hope to me a few fellow posters. The weather turned out brilliant, only 16c.
  • I'm going off now. Seems everyone is still in bed. Good luck.
  • hello all

bloody nightmare, slipped on that gravel to the start, banged my knee and was more worred about my knee than anyhing else.  checked that and it was ok.

crossed the start line and went to press the start button of the garmin, and i couldjn't feel it,looked down and i'd taken a huge flap of skin off the top of my thumb. but being a real afleet i carried on as It wasn;t bleeding anymore.  but traceyb nagged and nagged me and just after two miles I admitted defeat and toddled off to get it looked at

unfortunately bythe time that was done it was too late to carry on, am gutted and bloody bloody sore :<

my first DNF :<  thanks to traceyb for talking sense into me and hope you all had a good race

• oh and  a big thankyou for the marshalls and helpers who helped me out, and particularly the marshall who gave me a lift back to HQ and made sure I still got a t-shirt, which was a very cool t-shirt image

and the st johns peeps for patching me up image

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    ((((GingerLoon))) - two years ago I nearly ran into the photographer kneeling down on the pavement. It is easily done, feel a bit of a pratt at the time thou.
  • It was a good day. Met TracyB, gmike and TNT.

Not sure how I was going to run the 10 miles. Having not jogged for ten days, not even a mile. Previous to that had five consecutive days of jogging around the 8mm and only up to 6 miles and then it was another 10 day break.

So set off at a comfortable pace and overtook TNT before the first mile. Looked at watch and completed first mile in 7:34. Felt ok, second mile again 7:34. The third mile 7:10 and forth 7:24. Now I wanted to give up. There are more inclines than expected, but managed to get up them faster than joggers around me. The lack of training was making things very hard, but determined to get round. A Harlow jogger in-front of me kept walking and then when he recovered jogged away from me. Very annoying as I could not find the energy to jog past him. Usually I can find another gear for the  last couple of miles, on this occasion just kept jogging. Gmike over took me, I think in the last mile. Just waiting for TracyB to do the same.image

In the end it took 1:16:04. Very happy with the time as the pace was 15 seconds per mile faster than my previous half marathon.

VicnVin, it was a great day. Tons of marshalls. The drink bottles were great, for squerting over my head and down my back. Held onto a sponge right to the end. The T-shirt is brilliant. The course was too twisty for my liking.

• My vote is to bring back the old cycle track route if you can, that route is brilliant, I still use it as my training route
  • GinerLoon, hope the injury is not too painful. I heard some racers saying the last mile was changed this morning.
  • i didn't get to the last mile :<  thanks OR I'm dreading taking the dressing off my thumb, might phone a friend to do it image

glad you had a good race image

• Thanks VivnVin for a great race - well organiesd, well marshalled, great atmosphere, well placed drinks and sponge stations, great t.  

Great to meet you too gmike, OR and TraceyB; funny how we all bumped into each other before the start like that. Sorry GingerLoon that you had such a bad start to the race. Maybe trade in the stilettos for a pair of trainers...? (Sorry for the sad attempt at humour). Pleased you other guys had good races.

Otherwise was a crap run for me which is why I didn't hang around TraceyB. By chance lined up near the starting line but hopefully didn't hold up too many people, got a quick first few miles in and was on target on 40:14 at 5 miles, but lost the plot on/after the hill at 10 km and finished in 1:21:13 (Garmin), so completely off target 8 min/mile pace second stage. Humph. Will go away and re-think my training and hangover planning a bit.

Anyway, see you all at the next one. Victoria Park London Pride 10k for sure. Looking for September 10 miler if anyone has any ideas, please. 

• lolTNT, you saw me then image I do so LOVE my white stiletos

i can't afford to do many races a year, in fact this is usually the only one I do as it's local and I don't have to travel, so doubly gutting  to DNF.  TraceyB is a legend, hope she finished OK

• lolTNT, you saw me then image I do so LOVE my white stiletos

i can't afford to do many races a year, in fact this is usually the only one I do as it's local and I don't have to travel, so doubly gutting  to DNF.  TraceyB is a legend, hope she finished OK

• Hi all,

Sorry to hear you fell over before the start GL, hope you recover OK. I am glad you got a T-shirt....they were a good design this year! To answer your question about the course, the reason that we had to use a different course this year and last year was that the council had told us they were digging up the cyclepaths around Harlow, and we couldn't risk planning the race on our usual course only to find a critical cycle lane was closed. We will be discussing going back to the old course nearer the time next year, so can't say yet whether or not we will be.

Glad most people enjoyed it, the weather was actually reasonable for a change! The results will be up on our website later today. Vin is working on them now.

Please remember to rate the race on Runners World, feedback would be appreciated.

Hope to see you all again next year.

Vic

• PS. Forgot to say how impressed I was with those army guys who were running for Help the Heroes. They had massive packs on their backs, I picked one of their packs up at the end and could hardly lift it. They ran in army boots too. The first pack of them finished in 2:03. A massive well done to them!
  • TNT, I might do the Tiptree 10 miler on 11th October. Goodie bag and t-shirt.

My main target is a half in the autumn. Might do the Norwich one on 29th November. Wife likes it as it is two laps ( gets to see the pain on my face twice) and one of my boys might do the fun run.

• I'm not having this VicnVin, you said I would come in 150 and my actual place was 149th.image
  • Lots of race numbers are wrong VicnVin.
  • Hi VicnVin, just checked again before posting and they are alright now.
  • All,

I had a few issues with my PC that meant some of the data in the results files got messed up a bit. I have corrected it now and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Vin
    Webmaster
    Harlow Running Club