Beginner to marathon runner in 2010

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Purple,

Hope things become easier for you.  When I first started back to running I had the choice of run/walk or running really short distances.  I chose the latter & after 3 months I'm up to 4.5 miles.  I'm also doing a marathon next spring and have the intention of entering it once I've got up to about 20 miles.  Then I'm going to ease down.

Ramblin Rose,

How did the 10k go?

• Hellloooooo everyone!

Welcome purple to the friendliest thread around and we take everybody!

I am the beginner here, so you are already well above me!

Justin - BRAVO well done on the run. And wasn't the tip about the baseball cap useful? 8.30 is a brilliant pace or so I understand, *trying to look knowledgable*

Slowsnail: with you on the book front! Bf still trying to get me to throw a couple away but being a teacher, they are my tools..

Rambling - BRILLIANT!! Well done girl! What about the second one? Was that ok?

• Hey blithe how you feeling- my lergy seems to have passed and managed 3and a bit miles tonight with my running buddy! Just realised its 2months to my first ever race..... Hope everyone's been enjoying the nice weather
  • Looking forward to getting out for a 'real, rather than 'virtual' (wii fit) jog/walk in the morning. Been a very long time. I noticed that they'd cut the grass in my favourite park in preparation, as I drove past today image
  • imageHi Gang, its Ramblin'  Rose here but I'm on at work & don't know how to get piccie on !!!

imageWell I didn't do the organized 10k 'cos I looked on the web & they are all serious club runners (only about 100) & I got too scared to join in - silly I know!!!    imageBUT I did go out & run on my own & I did 5.9miles in 64.26mins - if I had had my garmin on instead of ordinary watch I could have seen how close I was to almost 10k & I think I would have beaten my time for Sundays Bristol 10k - Sooooooooooooooooooooooo I was pretty chuffed to have done two runs in two days.

imagetheres life in the old girl yet. Hope everyone else ok

TTFN Nessie xx

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Ramblin Rose,

Make sure you still get your rest days.

• good afternoon one and all,

Ramblin - good effort on your run, at least you got out there and did the distance, HY4 is right, definatly need those rest days especially early on.

What events are people signing up for?

i have booked Milton Keynes half in July but looking for a central 10k in june if anyone has any suggestions.

Just back from going out on my bike, couldnt be bothered to run with the wind thats howling round here, wish i had in the end though a few hills and strong wind has caused achy legs, first one of the year.

I am definatly going to stick with it though, hopefully with the tempo advice fron HY4 and the xtraining i might get an improved half marathon time at MK.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Justin,

It's been windy here also.  I was meant to go out for a run tonight however was just so tired when I got in from work didn't bother.  Hopefully it will mean that I'm fresher for my race (Sunday) and can push a bit harder.

• I'm up for giving it a try!

I'm a new runner heading for my first half marathon in September so lets give it a go!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Hi Emma,

Which one are you doing?

• HY4 - where you racing sunday? i know what you mean about being fresher, i reckon thats why i surprised myself last sunday

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Justin,

It's a 4k (2.5 miles) in Hook.  I'm still planning on getting out if I can before then, however it will be no later than Friday.  There is no way I'd do a run then race the following day.  

• HY4 - Hook in hampshire, does that mean you might attempt beachy head? cant be that far away

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Justin,

Yep that's right.  Not a chance for Beachy Head.  I think I'll stick to a marathon I know and plus the fact it turns it into an excuse to visit our parents as they live up there so free accommodation it makes perfect sense.

• Morning all

just got back from a 3 mile run, looking to start increasing the distnce at the weekend

hows everyone else, anyone been out this week?

what are people planning bto run at the weekend?

• Morning all - am i allowed to join in with this thread?  I think I qualify in that I haven't run in over 2 years and in that time have managed to put on nearly 3 stone.  I have run 2 marathons before but that seems a long time ago now.  I am very much a beginner again and pretty much having to start from scratch. 

So far I am on week 3 of my "come back" training and my longest run is 3 miles and my weekly mileage currently stands at 11.......

....oh......and i have rather rashly applied for London 2010.....

can i join?

TBSIARF (Steve)

• Hi all

I'm going out this evening for a short run, but am on week two of my half marathon plan so it's my first "long run" on sunday - 8miles.  DREADING it!  Actually not sure whether I can run that far????

I'm in the VLM ballot too Steve, fingers crossed for Sept/Oct!  which marathons have you done in the past?  Recommend either orf them?

• Hi all,

Just want to remind you that I'm still here!  Injury is coming along well now, am down to physio once a fortnight instead of once a week...  I'm going to ask her very nicely at my next appt on Monday if I'm allowed to run again yet.  Hope it won't be too much longer as I'm still aiming for the Bristol Half in Sept which should be nicely timed for my mara debut at London/Paris in April.  I dread to think how much fitness I'll have lost in the 2 1/2 months I've been laid up image

• Hi Slowsnail:  Firstly good luck with the long run on Sunday.  They do seem so daunting at first but believe me you'll be fine and proud come the end! 

My first marathon was London 2005 need I say more?  Fantastic experience and such a buzz with all the 1000's of runners and supporters.  I think that a runner's first marathon should be a London, New York, Paris etc as the atmosphere gets you through the last 6.2m!

My second was a year later at Halstead, Essex.  Totally different feeling from London but a wonderful race nonetheless (through the countryside etc), well organised and very friendly. 

I would recommend both ( of course) although Halstead probably better suited to runners with 1 or 2 marathons behind them.  I ran London in 3:57 and Halstead in 3:04 (I was attempting to go sub 3 but lost it in the last few miles)

• slowsnail - just take it real easy this weekend, pace is key...keep it steady from the start, what pace per mile are you planning to run at? good to see your sticking to your plan, im sure you will be fine...

that boy - im about 2 stone heavier than i should be about 16st 4lb but still managed FLM 09 in 4hrs 47, nowhere near as fast as you, but definatly going for 4hrs 30 next year

sarah - hope you get the all clear on monday and get out again

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Steve,

Off course you're welcome.

Slowsnail,

How long has your longest run been so far and what is your weekly mileage?  The usual rule of thumb is not increasing your mileage by more than 10%.

Sarah,

Good luck with the physio.  I was chuffed when the physio I went to said I could run and we even agreed a distance for me to run - the short side of a football pitch and this was after having a break of 2 months.

• Wow that boy, FLM sounds like an excellent first marathon..... I'm in the ballot this year but looking to do a marathon in Spring whether I get into London or not (maybe Edinburgh if it's not too late by the time ballot places are announced...).  Have to have a goal or it will all fall apart I think (inherent laziness!).

Justin - am planning to run superslow on Sunday and just make sure I get round the whole way.  I don't have a garmin or any device to measure my pace (although am constantly tempted by the idea of them) so it's all guesswork.  on shorter runs it works out about 8.5 min mile or just over but would be glad to do 8 miles at 10 min miles if it meant I could run all the way .......... we'll see!  how far are you going at the weekend?

Sarah - hope you get out soon

• HY4 -longest run so far is 7miles (ages ago) and I've done a few 6miles in meantime.  weekly mileage is coming out at about 20miles per week for last couple of weeks (have only been counting since I started the twelve week plan ......).  I think that the trepidation comes from the fact that this is my first "official long run" rather than me deciding, when out for a run, that I'll just go a bit further and measure the distance when I get back.  Feels different somehow, silly huh?
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Slowsnail,

I think you should be okay.

When I was doing my marathon the wheels feel off the wagon at 10 miles and I broke it down into chunks.  So at 10 miles I thought well I've ran 16 miles before so only 6 miles to that point.  At 16 miles I've ran a half and I've only got 10 miles left then at 20 miles when I was really struggling it was I've got Chris (my partner) round a 10k before when he didn't do any training for it so I can get myself round this 10k.  So saying what you've said isn't silly.  

There's always the Shakesphere Marathon in Stratford or Lochaber in Fort William because they are both about the same time.

• Welcome EVERYONE!!

How very exciting even if you are about 10 miles ahead of me.

Didn't get out there tonight, but hoping to tomorrow..

Flying visit

x

• Hi everyone - thanks for making me feel welcome and I'm really pleased to be part of this thread. 

Slowsnail:  Yeah London was fantastic and the miles pass very quickly because there is just so mcuh to distract you.  If you get a chance.........

Justin:  My aim at this year is really to just to build my mileage back up slowly and to try and shed some of my weight.   I have applied for VLM 2010 but if I'm lucky enough to get a place I'll defer until 2011 (well maybe).  Weight is not really the concern for me at the moment, my objective is to build my weekly mileage but that is going to take a while......

HY4:  Thanks for the welcome...

I am now into my 3rd week of running since "coming back" and I'm currently doing 5 sessions but the most I have run is 3 miles.  This weeks total is 12 miles but the legs are not very happy! Still, I'm just starting to feel the benefit now as my breathing is just starting to get easier...I can't wait to start running 6 or so miles without even thinking about it.  I do regret not running for the last couple of years!!

Keep plodding people.......

TBSIARF (STEVE)

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Steve,

Do you think you're doing too much too soon?  I don't know how many days a week you were running before.  Only reason why I ask this is I found it very difficult to rack up the mileage quickly and it's taken me about 3 months of running twice a week to get to 2 runs of 4 miles each and this was increase it by .5 mile.  That said I'm now ready to start doing longer distances, but I'm still taking things really gently.

• Hi HY4:

At the moment I'm finding 5 times ok although the legs are straining a little. Next week is a "step back", easy week for me so that will have 4 runs not 5 (also with reduced mileage).   At the "height" of my training I was running 6 times a week averaging between 60-70 miles. In hindsight 6 times was probably too much!

When I first started I found 4 times a week was about right as the 3 days to rest allowed me to build mileage without injury or discomfort.  I am going to carefully monitor my bodies response over the next few weeks and decide whether I should drop down?

With regard to yourself I am confident you would benefit from running 3 times minimum a week and to at least 4!  Your bodies strength and cardio system would improve tremendously from running this many times a week.  I'm not suggesting you should should run the same mileage with each run but drop back the distance for a period but increase the frequency.  It is certainly something to think about.......perhaps look at Hal Higdon's website and seek advice there or talk to the guys on the sub3 FLM forum.

Only my opinion but I realy feel it would help you.

Steve

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Steve,

I feel happier running 3 times a week, however with the shifts I work I can only get 2 runs a week in.  I have a different shift each day and it really mucks around with my body clock at times.  And that's being use to the shifts now!  When I first started this job I could only do 1 run a week and unfortunately I was training for my marathon at the time which I did get round.  I regularly post on Shades Marathon Training thread (she is one amazing lady - this time last year she was doing her 9 marathon in as many days because she was doing the 10 in 10 challenge at Brathay) and that thread is such a source of support because it keep me wanting to run when I had all my problems last year.

• HY4 You seem very frustrated (understandably) by your work patterns affecting your training.  To train at different times of the day etc. makes things very tricky although it will make you stronger in the long run.

I've not looked at the Shades forum but will do so as you have recommended it.  To get support at difficult times etc is extremely important and so you were lucky to have been part of that.  It's a real shame that you cant fit in one more run in the week as I'm sure it would make such a difference to you.

Anyway, we all do the best we can with the time we have eh? 

I'm off now to have a read through the Shades forum.....

Take care, Steve