Options

Beginner to marathon runner in 2010

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Steve,

That thread is just as friendly as this one.  You're right it does frustrate me, however I seem to have worked out how to run 2 times a week now and that's the target to keep to for the coming year.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Just a quick report from my race this morning.  We got lost on the way to the race and still managed to get there in plently of time.  There was a break in the weather for everyone as there were a 6 miler & 10 miler also.  My plan of using the 1st & last k as a warm up & cool down, however 30 secs into the race when I looked at my Garmin I knew this wasn't going to happen as I was running at 10.30 min miles so thought I would try and hang onto that pace.  End result was 4.09k in 26.11 (ave pace 10.18 min miles) and I even managed a sprint finish.  I felt as though I could have gone a bit quicker over the last k, however not doing too much speedwork didn't want to chance it as I've got a 5 miler at the end of June.
  • Options

HY4 - nice one, thats the problem or maybe a good thing about races, everyone ends up starting quicker than they intend to, at least you hung in there and had more to give

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Justin,

Thanks.  I forgot to mention it was a pb for me by about 3 min.  

• Options

in that case i reckon you deserve a double congrats

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Justin.
  • Options
    Hi guys - thanks for the welcome. Have not been on here for a bit as haven't been out running at all - bad chest infection/asthma - so unlikely to make it out at least this week. Well done to all of you on your runs - and your pb HY4 - fab!
    paws
  • Options
    Well done HY4 ! Where's the 5 miler in June?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Slowsnail,

It's in Purbrook near Havant in Hampshire.

Purple Paws,

Have you been to the doc to see if they can refer you to a consultant?  I was suffering from a cold (Dec 07) which cleared up then got a horrible chest infection Jan 08 which didn't clear up even after 2 lots of antibotics.  That left me with hardly been able to breath at times.  In fact it was that bad I couldn't walk 2-3 metres without getting out of breath.  I was just so glad my doc is a runner because she understood my problems and refered me to a consultant who told me to get out there and at least do some walking and give it time.

• Options

HY4 - Well done on the weekends race -great stuff.  How are you feeling now? Elated? Tired? Thirsty for more.....?

I'm on a step back week this week so that my legs can recover from the previous 3 weeks training.  Have to say though I REALLY need it.  Legs are dead and sore so i've decided to drop back to only 4 days a week and I'll build from there.

Wow it's tough being a beginner again.  Take care all........

Steve

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Steve,

I was really disappointed with my time because I was expecting a bit more as I said to Chris (my partner) that I'd see him in about 24-27 min after the off and was thinking I'd be a bit near to 24 min that what I was.  What has cheered me up is find out that I was 8th lady in my age group!

• Options
    HY4
    How you were in 07 is me now - got ill over Easter and have seen doc - 2 lots of antibiotics, course of steroids, chest x-ray, lots of asthma medication - and still feel rubbish. Can push myself to do stuff (did run 2 weeks ago but really suffered all the way round and big time afterwards!) so am now following doc orders to rest for a couple of days and am trying not to do much - but not enjoying it that much!
    paws
  • Options
    Forgot to say - Sarah - hope that the physio went well today and that you are allowed to do something. I'm also aiming for the Bristol half in Sept.
    paws
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Purple Paws,

I had that uncanny feeling your position now was very similar to mine.  When I was running I was making sure that I was running at a pace where my breathing felt in control and I could still talk to someone if they were running with me.  I was so slow (somewhere between 11.45 - 13.45 min miles).  My usual slow run pace is about 11.30 and this time last year I was lucky if I could manage it.  I would say if you want to go for a little walk just to do something then make sure it's a short walk. 

Bizarely everything cleared during one run in the summer when I decided to try and push it a bit.  When I saw the consultant for the second & final time he was surprised that I'd managed to start back running & felt reasonably okay and I got discharged in the July.  So all told it took about 8 months for this virus to shift from when I first had it.

• Options
    HY4,
    8 mths!!! (long time image )Thanks for the advice though. Will take the dog out for a slow walk tomorrow and see how that goes - back to Doc as well.
    paws
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Paws,

Good luck with the docs & your walk.  I found it really helpful to say to my doc this is what speed I can comfortably run at now and this is what I usually do and they could see that there was a problem even though my lung function was still classed as normal.

That's only part of my illness/injury problems I had.  After that I had about 6 weeks of decent training then slipped over a wet metal manhole cover a couple of days before my big race of the year (a 5k) which somehow I managed to complete then had to take about 1.5 months off with back problems as a result of that slip.  So I decided to wait until this Spring before starting back. 

So I had a really crap year last year and want to take things easy(ish) this year and build up slowly to my 2 big races this year (a 5k  in September and a 10k in October).

• Options
    HY4,
    Thanks. I hope your training goes much better this year image
    paws
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Paws,

So do I!  I'll just have to remember to take things easy when I need to.

• Options

Hurrah I can run again!

I have to start off with 2 minute chunks and build up to around half an hour continuous running by the time I go back in three weeks time.  I didn't like to mention that I could barely run for half an hour before getting injured!  I still think I'm going to wait until the last minute before getting my entry in for Bristol, just to make sure that I'm not putting too much pressure on myself and reaggravating my leg.

Hope eveyone is doing well, and congrats on your PB HY4.  I might see you at a Hampshire race soon - I'll be the hobbling one at the back!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Sarah,

Nice one.  Just build up gradually.  Whereabouts are you in Hampshire?  I'm in Petersfield?  I'm usually near the back or at the back end of the mid pack runners depending on the distance so we may bump into each other at some point.

• Options
    Hi HY4.  I'm in Tadley, just North of Basingstoke.  Haven't got any other races planned at the moment apart from Bristol but we'll see how things go!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Sarah,

If it was nearer I would have suggested about running together.  I don't blame you for waiting & seeing how things go.

• Options
    Hello all

I want to do a marathon too!  I've done one half and am entering Nottingham in September again.  I did do a few 10k's last year, then was ill & couldn't exercise from August to January.  I'm now slowly working my way back to fitness, having to balance resting and exercising.  I'm probably exercising 5 days a week now but only running 2 days, the other days are at the gym working on strength etc. 

I'm in the VLM ballot too, was rejected for this year which turned out to be a good thing!  If I don't get in then I'm thinking maybe Edinburgh instead.....
  • Options
    KatieJane,
    Welcome! I hope your training is going well and that your fitness is increasing gradually - well done for getting back to it after being ill image
    paws
  • Options

Hello all - I hope everyone is feeling good and running well? I'm on a "cut back" week this week and my legs have been screaming as a result (DOMS)>!!

Still I'm slowly moving forward and I'm already feeling a lot lighter.  I've also managed to find a great (novice) 30 week marathon schedule that I hope to begin in the next few weeks. 

Anybody else interested you can find it here: - http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/novicesupreme.htm

TBSIARF

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Katie,

Hi.  Good luck with the training.

• Options

Hi Katie

I'm also in ballot for VLM nad thinking about Edinburgh or another one if unsuccessful.

TBSIARF - excuse my technical illiteracy but what is DOMS???? Will be looking at the novice marathon programme - thanks for the link.  Think I need to get through this half schedule first though - only on week three and enthusiasm is waning (sp?).  Trying to convince myself to get out this evening .....

Anybody else got any races planned?

• Options

Hi Everyone

Can I join?

I did it too! I entered the ballot - now we wait and see. I have done a 6k this year, and last year did a couple of 10k's but I had an operation on my leg in March for compartment syndrome - so I am getting back on the wagon.

I run 3 or 4 times a week - slowly! I manage 12mm at the moment, but I am working hard at getting faster. I do 3 mile mid week runs as interval/fartlek to try and get fitter, and I am trying to up the mileage of my long run on Sunday - 5.5 miles last week. I'm going for 7 this week! 

It will be nice to have some company along the training way, especially if anyone else out there knowswhat they are doing! image

• Options

I quite like the fact that the Hal Higdon schedules give a longer prep time, but not so keen on the fact that they don't give any specific race times to aim for. At least the schedules on here do.

Only race planned so far is the 'Cabbage Patch 10' in Twickenham.

• Options

Slowsnail:  Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), is the pain or discomfort often felt 24 to 72 hours after exercise - delayed pain and discomfort.

Slowsnail/Running Wilbury

Hal Higdon's training plans are very well thought out and they work!  I used this same training plan for my very first marathon and "it does exactly what it is says on the tin" - i.e., it gets you round.   Actually the plan that I used before started on week 12 but the plan that I linked to allows you to build from pretty much a total beginner.  The plan does actually talk about training pace, race pace etc. and ensuring the long slow run is slow etc.........(well it does in his book anyway).

I am going to use this to build my weekly mileage slowly but sensibly. 

His more advanced plans are more specific about training pace for specific times with tempo runs etc. but we are all beginners on here (aren't we?)

Ran 2 miles last night in 15:08 and started to feel like a runner again instead of an overweight old man!  Even managed to open the legs to a 6:40 pace for a minute or so.  Good times!

TBSIARF