Beginner to marathon runner in 2010

Comments

• Twinkly, Markb and K,

Welcome to you all, and especially as you all seem to be in the same position as all of us!

Katie, isnt it gorgeous?

Quite hard to run in though isn't it because of the heat?

Thanks for the encouragement Justin - really appreciated!

• Hi Everyone!

I'm beginning to regret deciding on a 4pm run today - it's very warm! On a positive note, a nice sea breeze is blowing in, so I need to stay on the top of the hills to get the full benefit of that. Just 3 miles planned for today, but I'll do some fartlek to try and up the speed.

Now I just have to get some work done! image 

• Oooh, a sea breeze, I'm about as far as you can get from the sea in the UK.  Very envious! 

I'm going running in the early mornings to avoid the heat, but then races are around 10am so I'm going to have to adapt at some point. 
  • well, I've been back running 4 weeks all gentle ,gentle to start with but.......I've lost half a stone already!! I'm very happy and actually starting to feel like a runner again.....happy days!!!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Twinkly, Markb and K,

Hi & welcome.

DP,

It's just the weather I like to run in, however I'm nursing an inflammed ankle.  Don't ask how I did it because I don't know, however I've not ran since a week Tuesday.  I'm going to do some pool running at the weekend and see if I can get out for a small run on Tuesday.

• Evening (or is that morning?!) all.

Last night with my little patient in Kent tonight. His parents laid on a barbecue when I got here at 8pm, and gave me a couple of really nice pressies ( World Touring Car tickets and a champagne cream tea at Brands Hatch). Really touched.

I only have the basic wii fit game at present. Tried the wii trainer, but its diifucult doing full on aerobics on carpet! Will drop hints for the EA Sports wii trainer disc for Fathers Day!

Planning to go out again on Sunday and up the run times to 1,2 AND 3min runs.

Enjoy the weekend everyone. image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

RW,

That's a good pressie.  Hope you really enjoy the day.

• Woken up with a stinking cold and a hacking cough, but would like to go out..

Advice??

• Advice I've heard is if symptoms above neck it's ok to run. Symptoms below neck (e.g. cough) don't. I've been out for couple of weeks with same thing and feel like I'm almost back to square one now I've started again.

Perhaps go out and see how you feel, if you feel rubbish stop.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Would echo what K has said.
  • Thank you K and HY4..

Typical, isn't it? Just get going and boom - had to stop!

Didn't go out in the end, as I just couldn't stop coughing.  Couple of beers tonight though and feel a lot better - maybe tomorrow eh??

Hope the rest of you have had lovely days out!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Blithe,

I know.  I'm hoping to get back running on Tuesday however it's going to depend on my ankle.

• Morning!

Yesterday i went out with the Womens Running Network. A 4 mile plod around the town - not very pleasant as I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm not used to traffic and the like! Any way - it spurs me on and gets me out of bed on a Saturday morning!

I can see with all this hot weather we are due to get this summer, that running is going to have to be early or late! Anyone got any other strategies for motivating themselves out of bed?

• Hi there DP - yup another beautiful day here shouldn't complain but too warm to run at the moment.

Don't have a problem getting up in the morning, I'm a very early bird anyway but also sleep with curtains open so wake as it gets light, t'other end of the day is my problem, I'm ready for bed at 8:30image.

Blithe - hope you are feeling a bit better this morning.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

K,

The last time we had decent weather I was doing speed sessions in about 28c weather and loved every minute of it.  Needless to say when it came to race day which was hot I was in my element when other people were struggling.

• Wow everyone - well done for just getting out there.

Very frustrated but not getting out there as I can't stop coughing!

Maybe someone is trying to tell me something? *heh*

• Hi Blithespirit

I doubt that is the case - just one of those things! Make sure you are fully recovered before you go do anything silly! image

If it is any consolation, it is very hot out there. Did a quick 2.5 miles this evening and it's still too hot - and the Flies! Yuk! They are everywhere - nasty little b@st@rds! Hate them - they got in my hair, my eye, my mouth. Bad! Very bad.

• Agreed DP - I swallowed a fly last week on a run and couldn't stop spluttering all the way round - horrid!!!  Having done a 10k on Sunday with my dad, in what felt like blistering heat, I may well take up HY4's strategy and start running in the middle of the day to get used to the heat.  Can't say I'm relishing the prospect though image

Don't push yourself before you get better Blithe - better to wait until you're 100%!!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Slowsnail,

I think that may be way I'm so reliant on running with water.  Just take it really easy at first.  It's only when I'm use to running in hot weather that I up the pace.

• imageBS - I was told if above the neck ok to run & if on the chest then don't - I tried that when I had cold etc & it was ok in fact it blew the cobwebs away.

imageHow about just going for a walk to keep you used to getting out ??

imageI walked just over 4miles last night with my friend who has a rotten cough - we took it steady & by the end of the walk she said she felt much better for having done the walk & being outside helped her .

Hope this hepls

TTFN Nessie - hope everyone else ok x

• Hi everyone

Struggled around 4 miles this afternoon. The only good thing about was it wasn't quite so hot as it has been! image

Did battle with a very large dragonfly on the run - they are beautiful, but I'm not keen, they are so big! The pleasures of running in Devon!

I hope everyone else is doing OK. I'm hoping for 6 miles tomorrow - anyone else got long runs planned for the weekend? 

• Hi there everyone.

BS are you feeling better?

6k Tuesday blistering heat - yuk.image

5k with club Wednesday really comfortable.image

Planning shortish faster one tomorrow and Slow 7- 8miles on Sunday. Forecast isn't great but I'd rather run in a downpour than the heat. Good luck with yours DP hopefully no dragon flies for you tomorrow.

• Hey

Just wondered if I can join in.  I've stuck my name in for London but if I don't get in I might try for another....  I've got shot knees but just had an op to make one as good as you can.  The consultant said 'if you ever want to run a marathon then do it sooner rather than later' so I stuck my name in the ballot.  Problem is I can only run 4 miles comfortably.  I'm hoping to be back up to half Marathon distance at a respectable pace by October but would that be enough for a Marathon by April?  Ho hum its in the hands of the Ballot now!  Off to read through the thread a bit and see what I'm really gatecrashing!

• Wow it's been really quiet, hasn't it? Must be the return to work..

Just starting to feel normal today so I will go out again tomorrow.  It looked good tonight to be honest being a lot cooler!

Big hugs to you all, and keep running!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

BBS,

I've been quite because of my ankle problem.  I did 0.5 miles yesterday & mt ankle's held up okay so will be planning another little run tomorrow.

• Sprocket - No problem. Being able to run a half by October will stand you in very good stead for marathon training over the winter. That's also my aim, although probably only a 10 miler rather than a half. Plan is then to start a schedule that reflects the sort of time I can run the 10 at. Here's hoping!

Been wearing achilles support and trainers on the trampette when wii fit running. Seems to really help, and also feels like its using the usual 'running muscles' rather than others.

Off to Estonia with work next weekend, so hope the hotel's got a gym!

Hope you're all having a good weekend.

• Hi All

What a great running day it was today. Here we had big white fluffy clouds and a nice breeze keeping things nice and cool.

Went out for a long run and anticipated 6 miles - got half way and decided all was well, so went for a DP Record - managed 7.4 miles - my longest ever run! image

Coming back down the lane home I felt so good it was amazing - I felt like I could have just kept going! Half mara here I come! image

Hope you all had a good day too!

• Wow DP - that sounds AMAZING!

I went out last night as well, the first for a week, and it felt really good as well.  A mere 4 km walking and running, but it felt much easier...

Slow and steady that's me!

• Hello again all..

Where are you??

How goes the running?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Blithe,

I've been feeling yucky & sick today so haven't been able to concentrate on anything for every long even though I've not been at work.  I think I'm back running as I've done 2 0.5 mile runs recently, however today was going to be 1 mile.  That's probably going to be missed and I've said to Chris unless I can get up to 3 miles and feel as though it's fairly easy I'm going to chalk up a DNS (Did Not Start) for my 5 miler at the end of June.