Beginner to marathon runner in 2010

Comments

• HY4 - good to hear you're getting back there slowly.  Try not too get too demoralised, easier said than done I know.

I just thought I'd pop in to share the good news (I'm telling everyone that'll listen at the moment) that I had the all clear from the physio tonight!  Hooray!  I'm trying to resist going on a big celebratory run as immediately increasing from the half mile reps I have been doing is probably not that good a plan.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Sarah,

That's great news.

I know I shouldn't get demoralised.  I just want to get a pb in September for my 5k.  Last time I got a pb I was training for a half marathon and I want to try and get up to those distances for my long runs again just to make sure I'll get the time I want.

• well done Sarah that's good news.

Hope your are feeling better HY4.

Having thought I had got rid of my cold and run a really comfortable hilly 6.5 miles on Sunday am now streaming and wheezing again feel like I couldimage feels like one step forward and two backimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((k)))

Could it be hayfever? Or would taking hayfever tablets help ease everything? Depending on how things are I can suffer from hayfever starting from when the first grass cut is right thru to when the tree spores have stopped.  This year has been quite bad so far & the last time it was like this was when we had a great summer!

• Sorry to read about the injury list here - do be careful out there folks! image

I'll add myself to the list, although my dodgy calf has never stopped me running, it has slowed me to 12 min miles! I see the physio again tomorrow, and have been promised a list of exercises and a wobble board! Can't wait!

"Ran" last night - 3.5 miles but not enjoyable. The calf started within 2 minutes, then the opposite thigh started (I guess due to compensating for the calf), but finally got reasonable comfortable just before the end!

Onwards and upwards!

I'm looking for a half marathon Sept/Oct to spur me on - there are a couple in my neck of the woods - the Dartmoor Vale Half, and the First Eden Project Half - anyone any other recommendations or experience of the Dartmoor Vale?

• Hellllooooo everyone and welcome back! I was getting quite lonely!image

HY - So sorry to hear about your travails = Could you see it as a kind of training run rather than a proper race or would that be even more demoralising?

Sarah - YIPPEE - let's get the bunting out, but don't you dare overstretch yourself.. Gently please!  (Can you tell I am, occasionally, a bossy teacher? ) *grin*

Devonian - Well done for just getting out there instead of staying in.. Don't know anywhere near you I am afraid, being London bound, but I am sure someone will!

I was out there on Sunday and tonight on my little wobble round the river (!) I have to say I do feel better for it..

Best of running weather to you all,

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Blithe,

I'm thinking about that option, however if I can't get back up to 3 miles by the end of June then I think I'll struggle with the other 2 miles.  I'm going to try a mile at the weekend and see if the ankle holds okay.

• Hi all,

I have got a place in the Great North Run in October and have my fingers crossed for the London marathon. 

I'm not particularly fast but love being outside, it's my private time aways from the kids, work (and sometimes the husbands).

Thought i'd join in with you all if that's OK.

Although I really hope I got into the Marathon next year, i'm also really nervous about the amount of work needed over the winter.  I'm hoping that joining a thread like this one will help to keep me motivated.

Claire

• imageWelcome cluden, everyone here will give you great encouragement - & help & advice - 

imageHope everyone ok today & good for everyone just getting out ther - no matter how slow or how far at least you are doing IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageI have given legs a rest this week - just walked 4miles on Monday as on Sunday  I did a 9m route and ran the first 6 miles at a pb,  2mins under my last 10k in Bristol and on the Friday I did 5.36miles of which the last 1.3mile was all up a long incline and did it in 58 mins -  Phew!!!

Take care TTFN Nessie

• Hi all - just thought I'd let you know that it's Sarah (i.e. Lewis 15) here - didn't realise you could choose a different username than the one RW gives you!  Oops! 

Nessie you are just too good!  I can't imagine 9 miles at the moment!

I went out for a little mile plod last night - did it with jogging warm up / cool down and a 1 min walking break in the middle just to make sure I'm not overdoing it and reinjuring myself.  Was out for 12 mins in total.  It felt so good to be out, but was a bit sore when I got back!  Might have to break the mile into three bits rather than two.

Cluden - welcome and good luck image

• Wow Nessie - amazing woman that you are and so modest as well! I really am impressed!

Maraca - great name.. Well done on the plot last night - sounds rather like mine! Run 1 minute and walk 90 secs last night..

Cluden - welcome and yes, with you on the scared over the winter bit!

Blithe. 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Hi Cluden.

Vanessa,

Well done.

• Hi Cluden - good to have you along - I think we are all a bit worried about the winter! I still have a wobble every now and then - not sure what I'll do if they actually say yes! image

Great runs folks - 9 miles is a few weeks ago for me - it sounds like a lot! Well done! None for me today - got battered by the physio with a sports massage - boy do they hurt! I'm sure it willhelp, but right now I feel bruised! I do have a lovely wobble pad to play with though - that's fun.

It will be Saturday before I can get out running now - but just a small one. I may go for a longy on Sunday.

Happy running everyone!

• imageThanks for all your kind words - imageimage I only ran the first 6miles though I was trying to beat my last 10k run which I did by two mins,Yipee - I walked mostly the last 3miles apart from some running on the last mile (cos I got scared in the storm )

imageIt has taken me a long time to get to this (I have been running for almost 3yrs & I'm not 21 any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image(I wish)

imageYou just all keep at it & you will get there - There's no rush so make sure you dont get injured - slow & steady thats my motto - my nickname used to be Plodderama ha ha - Now if I can get my pic up & name changed I'm known as Ramblin' Rose 'cos I waffle on too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take Care TTFN Nessie

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Vanessa)))

I use to be that scared of thunder storms that if there was some lighting when I went to pick up my glasses I wouldn't go near the window and go down stairs without my glasses on - since I'm very short signted not a very good idea.

What got me liking thunder storns was when I was on holiday during the winter in Austria and they forecast thunder storms at night.  There was one clap of thunder which rattled around the valley for ages and I've been fine since then.

• Hi Everyone - it's all gone quiet! image

Last weekend I managed 8.5 miles in one go! That's my long distance record so far! Did a quick (not) 3 miles this morning, but I am going away for a week tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to early runs each day, lots of walking, surfing and cycling.

I'll be back next weekend with an update. Meanwhile I hope you all have a great weekend and a lovely week. Happy running!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
  • imageDP well done - brill.

imageRan last week for short runs ie; 3.26miles in 34mins & 2.25miles in 29mins That was Wed & Fri - forget now what I did on Mon - Thats what comes with age Forgetfulness amongst many other exciting things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageWent with hubby to Brighton at weekend 'cos he did the London to Brighton charity cycle - imageHurrah for him - the traffic though was mad - On Sat we went to London & instead of a 2hr journey it took 5hrs & on Sunday am I drove to Brighton (from London) which took 6 hours - guess it would have been just aswell to have cycled the flippin route!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

imageSo no runs for me over weekend, plan to run 5miles to horsie tonight after work and will be busy with her this week as we have a show at weekend but will run on Wed & Fri as usual.

imageHope everyone getting on ok - lets know how its going??? TTFN Nessie x

• As a 'local' boy I knew it was best to stay well clear of Brighton all weekend. Speaking of which, Brighton Full Marathon entries are now open.......................

Did a couple of miles of jog 2 mins, walk 2 mins yesterday. Achilles still sore, but the acute pain doesn't appear so much any more. Progress? Good session on the wii fit this morning. Did 10k + of jogging in 30 mins, plus some muscle exercises.

Loving the weather down here. Soon be able to get down the seafront, and indulge in a spot of tourist dodging!

• Hey guys

Sorry for my abscence on this thread been off running for a bit due to a foot injury- I've got a place in Brighton marathon as a back up incase I don't get a place in london- so looks like i'll be doing a marathon next year.......

• Just popping in to see if everyone's still alive!  How's the running going for you all?

I went for my longest run yet last night - nearly 4 miles in the rain and thunder.  Should have measured it before I went out to complete the full 4!  Took ages though, 44 minutes, but I did manage it all without stopping, which I think is not too far off my pre-injury fitness now.  I came home all happy, but then realised that it wasn't that much longer than 5k, which I want to do in 28 mins at my RfL this Sunday.  Eek how can I get rid of 16 minutes in 4 days?!  It really doesn't need to be that, but a friend did that time at her RfL without much training and I get jealous...

I've entered the Bristol Half in September and had to jump straight in to Week 5 of my schedule, would have been good to be able to start from scratch but my silly broken muscles have sent that plan out of the window!

This marathon aiming malarkey is taking over - I had a dream last night that I got a ballot place for VLM 2010, but I found out on the RW forum!  How strange...

Hope you're all doing well, happy running!

• Hia!

I did the RFL on Sunday, and then slotted in a baby 2.5 miles this morning. Until I can get the leg working I'm going for slow, little and often! Don't know if that will work, but anything is better than nothing.

Physio again tomorrow - I am prepared for coming out black and blue and aching! image

• HURRAH!! I did the Race for Life today and I am waltzing on air..

It was FANTASTIC.. I so have the bug now!!

Kisses to you all!

• I did my Race for Life yesterday too - anything but fantastic...  Only managed around 35 minutes when I was aiming for closer to 30.  The worst thing for me was that I had to walk some of the way, when earlier in the week I did 4 miles without stopping.  Maybe I went out too fast trying to overtake the walkers at the front, but at least that'll be a lesson to me to not do it again!

I think everything that could go wrong did - I did an hour's British Military Fitness session the day before so was stiff before even starting the race, wore new shorts that I discovered start riding up after a kilometre, and my HRM strap kept trying to fall down!  Moral of the story...don't do anything new on race day!

• Oh Maraca - what a shame!

I loved mine - very emotional though.  I nearly cried quite a few times... 

• Yes it was - and I did another nearly 4 miler last night without stopping... I know it's not all about the racing but I get self critical about that sort of thing.

They are emotional thought aren't they - the first one I did was 3 years ago when my grandmother was going through breast cancer treatment.  I'd made a back sign with her picture on, and just thinking about that and seeing everyone else's signs did set me off crying at the end.

• imageBS well done that girl - theres no stopping you now - keep going xx

imageMaraca dont be down hearted - you did it thats the main thing - time doesnt matter - it will all come good in time - just concentrate on being out on your feet WELL DONE x

imageHope everyone else ok - TTFN Nessie x

• SECOND outing on the road to recovery. Did 3 miles of walk 4 mins/jog 2 mins on Sunday, and 8 x 3 min walk/3 min jog today. 

Question is, do I increase length of runs, decrease length of walks, just do more reps?........................ I can feel an email to the coach of the club I nearly joined coming on!

Wondering when Sussex County Council will finish refurbishment of the Downs Link. Not ALL of us want to just do the South Downs Way route! The only bit of the Downs Link that they appear to have to touched is where it crosses the SDW image!

Grumble over. Off for a shower.

Laterz

• Well done RW! I have to say that after the RFL it has given me a real impetus.  I jogged for 10 MINUTES yesterday! I couldn't even WALK that amount at the beginning!

It is such a great feeling!

It has gone quiet around here, hasn't it? 

Right, new resolution to keep posting on here every day to keep it going! 

Couch potatoes unite!

BS

• Right! NOW I can get down the seafront for a run. Washing machine engineer, and first aid responder visits out of the way.

Holidaymakers beware! Going for a couple of fixed mile reps, just to see what the layoff damage has done...................................................