tuesday 28th april 2009

WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Makes me feel so sad

corny lyrics but when you have just woken at 2 in the morning to enter marathon online it seemed apt....

what: hopefully a gentle run with my daughter later

why: because now I'd like to think about her race for life in July!

last hard: sunday

last easy: monday

will read back monday's posts in the morning I really should be asleep!!! 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• Morning All

TR: Nice stuff, two sub 3 hour marathons.

Wabo: go back to bed!

What: 7 miles at lunchtime
    Why: Comrades is but 26 days away
    Last Rest: sunday
    Last Hard: Last nights club run, when will I ever learn that I cannot keep up with a 32 minute 10K clubmate.

Lyrics: Nope
    Yesterdays Lyrics: We are the Champions, Queen

• Morning peeps.

Early start today eh Wabo !

TR: Well done.

What: A heavy legged 4.5 miles in the drizzle.

Why: Long way back.

DD: All the best for Comrades in 26 days mate !

Lyrics: Got them yesterday, not today though.

Read back time.

Have a good one peeps.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    and then I wake at 5.40.. what is wrong with me!!!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

good morning all.  Tis a beautiful spring morning here, the  sun is burning off the mist and it's nice and cool for running

Wabo - a marathon is what is wrong with you!

TR - well done on another sub-3

What: 3.25 miles hard
    Why: because
    Last hard: oooh, that was
    Last rest:  16 Feb

Thought I'd do a short sharp blast.  I do admit to having to stop for recovery a couple of times (particularly at the top of a hill) but overall pace....9.11m/m.  Very pleased with that.  I will keep banging away at faster stuff, hoping it will get easier. I also must start doing a hill session.

Have a good day all. 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    mava you are so right, so I can probably resume normal services soon and not be getting up silly hours and do housework????
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    LOL.  Who says you have to do housework Wabo?   Relax, you deserve it.
  • Morning again Wabo !

Guess you'll be shattered later on today then ?! Mava's right, forget about the housework, you've just run a marathon.

Mava; Glad it's a nice spring morning where you are !

See you peeps.

• morning

wait till it hits you wabo - you'll sleep for a week !
    when you referred to your morton's toe - have you had/got a morton' neuroma ?

DD - if you keep trying to keep up with your mate you might surprise yourself one day, can you imagine that, 32 min 10k

well steve cram may be coleman balling but pammie deserves the prize for yesterday's post image

didn't he once dissolve into giggles with BF on some paula comment - possibly to do with a mispronunciation of her 'splits' can't remember now what he said but it was very funny

TR - you looked very determined when i saw you on the telly aproaching the finish and then actually finishing. given it was a bit touch and go for the last couple of weeks that's a remarkable achievement and established you as a regular sub 3 even off disrupted build up

AB - yes, the rain is nice to run in once you've got going. i always hate the first bit actually stepping out into it in your nice dry clothes !

alehouse - not fair, i did get yesterday's but i did have a bit of help image

not got today's yet though

did an hour mixed CV stuff in the gym yesterday then had massage which showed my calves are even tighter than normal, must be the pedalling i think
    feel able to try a run again today - be really pleased if i can manage alternate days running this week but promised myself to back off at warning signs

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

Wabo - have a good rest you deserve it

What: 3ish miles easy/6 miles (hill reps) at the club
    Why: sneaking a few doubles in
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Lyrics: feels like i should

Did actually get through to the ballot last night, so i'm in, we shall have to wait now
  • Phew, try to read back a little on FLM weekend is harder than running the blummin' thing

Good win and podium for Rach and Gobi.
    Age group win for TmR.
    PB for SGQ

Pretty successful day over in Stratford at least (even if personal goals weren't always fully met)

Wabo a fine effort, Blisters and TR demonstrating some great battling, SD a good sensible run, and I'm most likely missing out some people again.

As for me, bit puzzled really.
    Had a relaxing weekend with my excellent running friend hosts, ran a <3 M jog on saturday which felt a lot harder than it should have for the gentle pace, but I sort of anticipated that.
    Easy travel up, good prep, get in pen about 10 minuts before start, all good.
    We get going and immediately into decent enough running, near target pace for mile 1 and on target thereafter. HR high but put it down to the occasion and want to wait until things settle down before revising plan.
    Meet team mate when starts merge, have a little chat and we get on with our own things.
    Run a few hundred yards with Nell McAndrew, HR still high (joke, but true nonetheless).
    Around Cutty Sark decided to stick to the plan till 10 miles and then revise if needed.
    Unfortunately didn't even get a say in the matter as just past the 9 mile markers I saw a set of wheels rolling past that looked mighty familiar.
    Dropped 20 seconds off the pace in mile 10 and I just wasn't prepared for things to get hard THAT early on, had a wee and decided to just run this marathon at a fair effort and not chase time goals.
    Then just before 12 miles I felt some tightness in my chest and slowed right down, had a little walk, and seriously considered pulling out at Tower.
    Soon chest felt fine and decided to just run round and take in the atmosphere.
    Even that didn't work out, as around 14 miles my left calve started cramping badly, pretty much immediately into spasms, not much later right calve followed and a few miles later my left hamstring felt left out so joined in the fun. Had a friendly chap from St Johns massaging out my calves and hamstring when the hamstring went into spasm too, but once you start getting these problems, they're not going away, are they?
    A hobble/tentative jog/walk strategy to the finish made for a very long marathon, but still glad I took the decision to get round the course as it's really something out of this world. What an event, what crowds!

That being said, when your race fell apart at 9 miles, a marathon finish is a ridiculously long way to go and from 24 miles onwards you have to remind yourself that yet another bloke yelling "come on, you've done great, not far now, keep going" is a great chap adding to the atmosphere and not some mupped deserving a thumping while screaming "no I'm bloody not doing great".

Despite these last lines, I really enjoyed the experience, but a tad annoyed too as I feel I didn't 'run' a marathon, and I didn't learn anything about what marathons are about when you're fighting the fatigue and the tightening muscles in the latter stages.
    I did learn that you can't postpone switching to a plan B without a hefty price tag though...

PS: did really wonder if I did the wrong thing in not dropping out when I felt fine crossing the line (apart from yet another cramp attack), immediately followed by half an hour feeling really crap (considered seeking medics), but then I came suddenly round and went to the pub with clubmates and have felt fine since.

• Forgot the times, splits tell the same story:

5 km 0:20:44
    10 km 0:41:32
    15 km 1:02:44
    20 km 1:28:51
    half 1:34:36
    25 km 1:56:40
    30 km 2:32:11
    35 km 3:11:49
    40 km 3:48:02
    finish 4:03:35

• Imski
    Sounds like a tough day out, glad a visit to the pub sorted it!

What:  Rest
    Why:  Still taking some care
    Last hard:  2 days
    Last rest:  3 days

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Imski - sounds painful. I did wonder what had happened to you (I was tracking). At least the next one should be easier by comparison image

Wabo - sleep! You've earned it! image I do know the feeling though. After Abo last year I was still up at 2 in the morning nursing a whisky and unable to sleep.

AB - sounds like you're building it up sensibly. Good stuff and keep listening to your body.

Definitely seems to be something in this whole glycogen thing. Despite high mileage I'm now starting to feel really strong again, so fingers crossed image

What: 13.6m easy d&d / 6m rec jog pm.
    Why: Endurance.
    Last hard: 20 x 200m reps y'day.
    Last rest: 17/03.
    Lyrics: Nope.

For yesterday's 200m reps I paced a little more conservatively than last week and set my stall out for consistency. It was wet and a little windy on track which was probably worth a bit of time as well, but either way it was a good session. Avg of 33.87s. Slowest was 34.63 (and that was a bit of an outlier as well). The last one was quickest (32.83). I know I can do this session quicker (particularly in the dry) but I'm very happy with the consistency of this, particularly in terms of what it says about my aerobic condition image

Have a great day y'all.

• A tough day for most on Sunday it seems.

Imski - I looked up your result and looked at the pace graph.  Ouch!  Maybe the travelling had something to do with it?

Wabo / SGQ - well battled

TmR - a good result overall.

I raced the first 16 miles of FLM - 6m/m pace on the Garmin which was about 6:05 by the mile markers.  Then my groin started to tighten to the extent that the pace started dropping by 30 secs / mile.  I ran on for 2 miles and things were getting progressively worse.  As I wanted to avoid a hat-trick of a completely dismal last 10k and 2:50 times I pulled out at 18m.  Very dispiriting journey back to the finish area.

I was another one though for whom things weren't as they should have been.  I ran 20 x sub 6 miles 5 weeks ago comfortably.

Never mind, I have a string of pbs, medals and representative honours to look back on from January through to April so it's not been a wasted journey.

I can't say the new Championship start arrangements are to my liking, and added to the hassle of having to get to the expo to pick a number up, are making me think about spring alternatives.

• Morning all,

TT: congrats to Mrs TT on the Exams

Pammie: nice 5k
    SGQ: Well toughed out in a difficult last 8 miles for a PB.
    SD: Sounds like a well controlled outing
    Gobi: Considering your recent training, that's a cracking outing at stratford. (and congrats to Rach on the win)
    Wabo: Well battled, the heat destroys me too.
    TmR: sorry it didn't go to plan at stratford for you.
    Blisters: Sorry to hear it wasn't to be at london this year.
    TR: sounds tough mate, but good battling, and a decent outcome considering your calf woes.
    Imski: Sounds like a brutal introduction to the marathon. Your splits tell a frightning story!
    BR: sorry to hear about the injury and DNF.

What: club pm
    Why: why not
    Last hard: Last nights 6x 400m in 64-66s
    Last rest: no idea

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya,
    BR - glad you see the positives after Sunday, it is after all just one race
    Imski - nicely battled, I'm sure next time will be a better story. Did you drink enough in the early stages?

Further congratulations to those I missed yesterday: TR, Blisters...

Finally got onto the Virgin website after just 25 hours trying. Should be guaranteed entry after 5 rejects, although fairly comfortable that I could get the sub 3h15 if need be. Although I never take marathon performances for granted...(plus I think I need to do one before the end of August..)

Today - club night (perhaps), have had a progressively worsening throat, headaches, etc etc
    According to my paper I have all the symptoms of Swine flu (except the vomiting) see how the day progresses really. Aside from that feel generally OK.

Laters 
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Lyrics -Yep, very apt song title for this thread.

Just popped in to congratulate /commiserate with the marathon runners from the weekend.   Been having a little look at the sub 3 thread - blimey there are some fast people on there - must be some well known names to those who compete regularly.    Are you looking for another marathon soon BR or is it time to back off and then build up for another one in the future ?  

What - going to do our cycling club 12.5 time trial on my road bike - we've got an unofficial retro challenge this year for people riding without any aero equipment so I'll post a time for that.  

• imski -
    what a bummer to put up with that lot on the big day, i had you on for close to the 3 hour mark but with all that to contend with you really couldn't have done better than you did. bad experience but sure to get a decent crack at it next time. done the training and some impressive halves along the way. hope you get back to normal quickly after a bit of a rest

BR-
    another one having their race wrecked by circumstances beyond their control. really sorry it went that way for you. i was watching the red button finishing line and saw some off the sub 3 thread including TR. we had a momentary power cut so i assumed at the time (though i saw your later report) i'd missed you when i  saw hilly come hurtling past nell mcA into the finish.
    one bad race out of a quite spectacular season so far with lots to show for and plenty more to go at. recover well first though

dustin -
    get that face mask on. we don't need swine fever ! get well soon

nice track sessions TT and stuart !
    sorry, must have missed about mrs TT's exams, congratulations !

• Morning all,

Working on catching up on FLMers. Doesn't look like good news for many, but great PB SGQ.

DD - I'm actually starting to feel a little envious! Let us know your number and I'll track at least!

Still easy running for me, but stuck in a great fun mountain bike race on Sunday, which gave me a chance to do a flat out without worrying about breaking the 'easy does it' rule for running.

What: Easy 5 miles

Why Gradual build up

Last Hard: Sundays MtB race

Lyrics Yup

Have a great recovery day

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

imski and br so sorry to read your posts but you both seem really  upbeat about it all.

I still feel pretty perky, I reckon its the curry and red wine sunday night!

• Afternoon all,

TR:  Well done on the sub-3; not a bad outcome off interrupted training. 

imski:  Ouch!  Sounds a bit grim, but well battled to the finish.  And at least you got to run with Nell McAndrew image

BR:  Bad luck, I thought you were going to crack it this year.  Did you have any sypmtoms in the lead-up?  What're the new start arrangements?  We don't have to share the toilets with the girls do we?

Nice to see popsider popping in.

No problem getting a seat on the tube this morning; just read my "Rough Guide to Mexico"  and kept sniffing. 

• What:  12m
    • Why:  bass
    • Last Hard:  1/3
    • Last Rest:  16/3 

Have a good one!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

BR and Imski sorry to hear it didnt work out for you both.

What - 10m
    Why - Taper and a few miles at MP
    Last Hard - Tapering
    Last Rest - Fri

Take care

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Two manic days, so only got to read back this evening. Commiserations and celebrations have been said and said again, and I can only echo them.  TR - very impressive.  Wabo - bravo.  Sounds like job done to me. SGQ - a pb is a pb, as others have said. Gobi and Rachel - very nice indeed.  I shall watch Comrades with interest.  BR - really sorry, DNF is always hard to stomach, even when the alternative might have been grimmer.  On to the next.  Imski - you have my total admiration, and sympathy.  The panicky feeling that you are already off the rails and there are still too many miles to go is one I shudder to recall.  Well done for getting through.  You may need to schedule a really easy marathon - when you are pacing a dear friend who runs slower than you, perhaps, to get confidence back up. All those who were clamped by cramps too - totally my experience with marathons.  Hope you find ways of avoiding them (and when you do, let me know too!). Blisters - well done for putting a bright face on it, I know that feeling too, but I am not always a good sport about it. TmR - not sure that it is quite fair to compare times across marathons.  Stratford (I am not mistaken here?) has a memorable hill that you meet twice, and FLM doesn't have anything of the sort.  I am impressed, even if you are not pleased.

Me? It was definitely DTT to the rescue today.  I had had a less than wonderful day, legs stiff, dizzy patches even when at rest, and going out for a run this evening wasn't the first thought that crossed my mind.  So I read all your stories.  (Do I want to be a gardner?) And then I put trainers on (ok, the frees again).

4.5 miles, and very acceptable too. Hideous stiff at first, particularly in lower calves. Improved after the stretch point at half a mile. Really enjoyed the next three miles, low sun lighting up young leaves along the backs.  Running doesn't get much better. Feet went dead unfortunately, but legs stayed strong.  Curious - I am developing phantom stones in my shoes.  Twice now I have taken shoes off in search of what seemed to be sizeable pebble.  Absolutely nothing there whatsoever.  I guess it is a variation on numb.

Stiffness in lower calves is actually encouraging.  It suggests that my legs have a lot to learn from running in the frees.  I had had a pair, but they began to resemble slingbacks, and I began to trip over the toes, which was definitely no good, so I hadn't run in them for over a year.  I thought I had succeeded in transfering what I had learned to ordinary trainers, but apparently not.  

So, 4.5 miles done which likely would not have been done without you guys.  Thanks! You are all wonderful.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

AF, surely if you were reading the Rough Guide, you were planning a trip, not returning from one.  Was it not some other reason that they left you a wide margin?

Many years ago I had occasion to travel with two toddlers from London to the stockbroker belt at rushhour.  We had got on the train early, and of course the youngsters were hungry, so to keep them quiet I allowed them a snack-

it was blackcurrant yoghurt-

we had four seats to ourselves in spite of the carriage being packed with people standing..

• Stickless - very clever ployimage  Good to get out there - nice!

BR - so sorry it wasn't your day - sounds like it would have been so much easier to have just jogged/walked to the finish. Good luck with your future marathon plans.

Hilly - once again you show real grit - good on you girl. Now who is this Nell Mc Andrew that everyone seems to know?

Imski - mate - now that sounds awful. It wasn't your first marathon was it?

What: 40 minute walk with husband after chiropractor appointments. I've at least put my head around entering a few x-country races - just have to get my head around training for themimage

• AF - they basically put all the women in the men's area with no extra toilets and not enough space in either tent had it been raining.  The queues were just as bad as when I ran off the GFA start.  The start itself was a mish mash, with 3hr+ women lining up in front of me, Hilly 2 rows behind next to the famous Andy Clements with a sub 2:40 marathon runner on the row behind them.  Along with having to traipse halfway across London the day before, I don't think I like these arrangements so will look elsewhere next spring.

No real issues going into the race except maybe the fact I've been flying, and did 5 races of between 3.75 miles and 10k in a 20 day period.  Maybe oversharpened my pencilimage

Abingdon it is then, so you are right, I will crack it this year.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

thanks folks I'm proud for diffrent reasons this time. Good that the kids saw me grit it out too.

There were lots of shattered hopes and dreams this time but I'm gutted for Imski - a really big dose of "sh*t happening". Feel for you after all the diligent build up.

My next big race is the NF 1/2 IM in Spet and when I was wrking out that if I keep running to work and back twice a week and do a 90minrun on weekends, then I'm only 1 weekend hour short of what I did for FLM, so I've enetered Abingdon too, which is 4 weeks after the 1/2 IM.

2 running races in one year - steady on fella.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Wabo - well done on your marathon time.

Stickless - good on you.

SGQ - well done at Stratford.

Imski - well battled to the finish.

NZC - Nell is a model and nice lady, who also just happens to be a very good runner.  I have run in races with her before and am normally quite comfortably in front of her, but not on Sunday!  Here is a link to some pics, not family viewing though so only look if you don't mind poses that reveal a bit.  In real life she doesn't look quite like those pics!

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=nell+mcandrew&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=nell+mc

• Thanks for that Hilly - pretty good effort from her then.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

thanks hilly

clink I have the toe but not really had a neuroma I am pleased to say.  The toe took all the impact at the front of my shoe as my feet inevitably became hot and swollen.  I aslo have real nasty bra rub on my back, think all the water on your neck causes the bra to get wet and the rest is obvious.  What the heat does!!

stickless, nice one, you amaze me.  I know that pebbles feeling, its been like a rock in the past and so horrible.

I did a very very slow strange style 1.25 tonight.  Glad I did though and  was in my local shop queueing straight after (italics a typo) thinking is anyone else mad enough two days after flm, when I spotted a club mate running past. I could hear his feet slapping on the ground and feel the heaviness of his legs and thought, yeah course there are!!!  

so the very apt lyrics today were, Keep on running, Spencer Davis Group

night, peeps