The Beckenham Group (May 2003)

Comments

• Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    ok then - I need a new computer urgently as this one is giving up the ghost rapidly, so looking forward to seeing the catalogue.
  • Richard, what number will you be wearing at Sevenoaks?
  • Will you not recognise him without a number ????
    No. 91, Meg - see the Sevenoaks thread on the Events forum for who's going/what's happening.
  • Good luck all the Sevenoaks Seveners
  • Won't be there tomorrow as I'm doing a 10K race on sunday.

• Good Luck everyone who's racing this weekend!
  • So...how did everyone do in their racing?

I've finally woken up and smelled the coffee and realised I'm actually pretty terrible at this running stuff! I did the 10K today in 62.55...that's pretty bad isn't it?
    Hi - 61 mins for the Sevenoaks Seven - boy, was it 'ARD!

offroad, lumpy spongey ground - all up hill for the first half, then gently down for the second. I was racked with pain by the end - brilliant!

On the back of 11 hours driving to Cardiff and back yesterday plus a few pints of Chinese beer at lunchtime, and only a few hours kip in the last 48, it was not the best preparation (at least the 1-0 result was the right one!).

Still, why do things the easy way?
    p.s. Fliss - not bad at all!! - for someone in their first few months running, and training just a few miles a week - don't do yourself down gal - you can run 10,000 - most people can hardly run 10 metres.
  • Thing is, I've been running for about a year now, I've done 2x5K's, 2x10K's and 1 1/2 mara and my race times are always the same - 10min miles!

So, I'm doing something about it - I've joined Dulwich Runners and I'm determined to go along to their track speed sessions!

I will get faster...I will get faster...

• Please dont be hard on yourself Flipper, todays run was a good time, and was a good event, we all tend to read others reports and look at there times, for me today I was aiming to beat myself and no one else, didnt quite pull it off, but enjoyed the Hyde Park route.

Well done.
    Try going on a run with Nicola Joyce's group there - she's a nine minute miler, so she will get you up to speed (really nice girl, about your age, and will be at Crystal Palace for the event on 8th August.)

You WILL get faster, you WILL get faster.
  • J JJ J ✭✭✭
    Well done Fliss. There are people who would give their right arms to consistently 10 minute mile almost whatever the distance. I am sure the speed work will help, but don't worry about it. The best runner in the world, is the one having the most fun!

JJ
  • Thanks guys...you're the best!

Originally I was quite pleased with my time as it was a PB for me by 2 mins but then I remembered the last 10K I did I was running with food poisoning and was terribly ill that day so really I should have been much quicker this time!

Nevermind...I've got 3 x 5K's, 2 x 10K's and a 1/2 marathon this year (and I'm sure Snoops will know of some more) so I've got other events to work towards and I WILL improve my times!

Thanks everyone...I'm more motivated than ever!
  • Richard

How did the Sevenoaks 7 go yesterday? was it a good run? l managed a PB yesterday at the Great Baddow 10 miles, getting round in 78 mins 55 secs, it was a good run and undulating, was pretty shattered after it though.

JJ, hope you had a great time in the Big Apple
    Hi Donna - well done on your pb.

Like you,I was shattered afterwards at Sevenoaks, but that was partly my own fault for over-indulging at the Cup Final the previous day.

• Flipper, chin up! I suffered during my last 10K and it galvanised me into doing hills. Between your track sessions and my hills, I'm sure we can crack this speed thing. Do you fancy running up and down Crystal Palace hill on bank holiday Monday?

Donna, well done with the PB!

Richard, I didn't make it to Sevenoaks 7 as I was under the weather with a chill and achy joints. Sounds like I didn't miss a joyous run.

I need to do 8 miles on Saturday. Anybody else planning to be at BJ at 8.30?
  • Well Done Everyone on such good race times this weekend!

Donna, you're on an absolute roll at the moment - brilliant stuff! Getting a PB on undulating (I personally think mountainous is a better description) is incredible! Well Done!

Thanks for the offer Meg, but I can't make this weekend as tomorrow it's my birthday (just slip that in there) so Mr Flipper is taking me somewhere nice for the weekend! Can't wait!
  • Not to worry; happy b'day - hope Mr Flipper spoils you.

• Had another session with Martin my trainercoach this morning and discussed the possability of him coming along one Saturday morning to give you all some tips etc.

If your interested post here. He is a qualified athletics coach (so will need paying), but split between everyone it wont work out very much.

For me he has been taking me back to basics and teaching me how to run.

I have learnt such new styles as 'Give me Sunshine', The Can Can, Bunny Hops and sprinting backwards. Very amuxing to watch but after just three sessions I can already feel that I am landing on the balls of my feet more and less on the heels which will lead to a big reduction in stress to the body.
  • You've all been so lovely during the times of running depression so I just had to tell you this:

I went along lastnight to the running club and I ran 3 of my 5 miles at 8 1/2 minute mile pace! I can't believe it! I've always been a 10 minute miler - what's happened?

I'm on cloud nine people...and I'm really looking forward to that 5K in a couple of weeks!!!! :)
    good on yer Fliss!!

The hard work is paying off!

have a great b'day w/e mate!!
  • Fantastic news Fliss! Well done.

Is anybody running on Saturday am?
  • Well done Flipper! Came to find you here to say it was lovely to meet you last night (now you can see why you wouldn't have recognised me from this forum piccie!). Really glad you had such a good run :-) See you again and will be cheering you round the 5K as well.

Dr Nic x
  • Blimey Fliss - great news! Happy birthday for the weekend.

Why 'Mrs Mop' Meg?
  • Defintely not b/c of my housekeeping skills. Nevertheless it's a term of affection, and I quite liked the alliteration.
    I should poleaxe him with a good right hander (and knuckle duster) then, if I were you Meg.
  • Flipper thats absolutely fantastic.

Its true what they say that you have to train slow to run fast!

This Time next year you'' be telling us you are doing 7.5 with ease
  • J JJ J ✭✭✭
    Sorry Meg, no can do. No kid cover available. A little bird tells me that we could have been having a celebratory run. I am sorry to miss it - BUT VERY WELL DONE ON YOUR EXAMS! Lucozade's on me!

Well doen Fliss and happy b'day too!

JJ