Costochondritis

Hello Guys

I've been diagnosed with costochondritis after a severe chest infection, everything I've read about it sounds pretty grim.  But the biggest kicker is not being able to run, this is driving me nuts.  I haven't run since 15th March and have already missed out on two races I was really looking forward to and trained hard for over the winter.  The pain is less intense than it used to be, but I still don't feel able to try even jogging. 

Has anybody else been diagnosed with this and what advice can you give? 

Please get in touch as I feel just miserable.  My Doctor has prescribed me some painkillers and told me to rest (!!!) - I am also taking pro-joint vitamins to speed up recovery.

thanks

Comments

• Hey

I'd a bad chest infection about 3 years ago which completely stopped me in my tracks.  The minute I'd start to run I had such a fit of coughing and sharp chest pain I had to stop.   The chest pain became a constant and my coughing fits at work legendary!  After tests for asthma, ulcers, a gastroscopy and being tried on numerous medications, I was finally diagnosed with costochondritis last summer.

Anywhere you look up costochondritis it says it usually goes away on it's own after a short time.  I haven't found this to be the case at all.  And I've had 2 chest infections since that first one that seemed to bring on the condition.  However it does now vary in intensity and a lot of the time I forget I have it at all.  There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Having had to stop running for about 2 years I was cracking up, and decided that no matter what I was going to start up again and battle through.  My first run was about 2 miles and I thought I was going to have a heart attack!  Very disheartening when compared to my previous level of fitness.  But within a fortnight I was seeing improvement.  I found that a few days of Solpadeine alternated with Nurofen helped keep the worst of the pain at bay.  I'm not currently taking any painkillers for it, but if needs be I do take them for say 4 days on, 4 days off for a fortnight. 

I still get breathless if I walk up 2 Tube escalators, but it's the same level of breathlessness I will have after running 6 miles so you just have to persevere and remind yourself you're not going to keel over or die and it's not going to get worse than this.  Walking briskly for 10 minutes before you start to jog can help, get your heart rate and breathing rising slowly so it's not as much of a shock to the system.

HOWEVER image enough of the doom and gloom, I completed the Edinburgh marathon (my first race)just 2 weeks ago, my breathing was fine (well as good as it's going to be during a marathon lol) and the only thing I found tough was the heat!!

My advice to you is take it slow, build up your jogs/runs slowly and don't beat yourself up about it, it's just something you have to overcome as best you can.  Have you tried the Powerbreathe?  It does seem to have gotten very good reviews, I bought one for my marathon training but kept forgetting to use it daily!  I must start as I'm sure they do help.   I do use a brown inhaler before long runs, my asthma tests showed that it didn't make any appreciable difference, maybe it's just a mental thing, but I think it does help.  Has your doctor prescribed any kind of diclofenac? sometimes that can help. 

Keep your head up mate, I know it probably seems horrible and hopeless right now now but believe me you can get through it image

• Hi,

I am just recovering from my 4th bout of costochondritis - so off work. Any exercise is impossible while I have costochondritis as I get quite breathless if I over exert myself. My doctor has told me that I have to get the pain under control, or there is a possible is could trigger severe asthma (which I have had since school).

I find I have to take anti-inflammatory painkillers, regular as clockword and the inflammation of the cartilage does start to reduce. Every time I have had it, it has always followed an upper respiratory tract infection. I have to say I use aromatherapy bath to help ease the discomfort - especially rosemary essential oil as this has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. However, I do realise that aromatherapy is not for everyone.

Basically, I just have to keep taking the painkillers and wait for the costochondritis to respond to patience. When I do go back to exercise I have to build up gradually - usually just with brisk walks outside.

Sorry, there is no quick fix for this condition, but it does get better.

Regards,

G