Options

Paroxysmal Supra-Ventricular Tachycardia (SVT)

124»

Comments

• Options
    malcolm martin wrote (see)

Flecainide certainly helped for me but only when I was on 100mg twice per day. Strangely however I started getting more minor attacks (100-140) when not running and some of these woke me up at night. Are you taking warfarin or aspirin as well ?

Ran 4.84 miles on Wednesday @ 7-20 miling pulse 154av/164max. A month earleir I ran 5k park run @ 7-16 miling pulse 173 av/183 max so things are improving. Resting pulse still a lot higher than pre op 65-70.

same for me! 100mg twice per day and it has settled things a fair bit.  I take aspirin too, never used warfarin.  I was hill walking last Saturday in very hot conditions all day and managed fine but the following night felt like my heart was having a wee drum solo to itself!  always seems to be after the event for me and like yourself, when trying to sleep.

• Options

If I had attacks after exercise my pulse only went up to 140/150 (as against 230 with an exercise attack) but my blood pressure dropped really low to the point I was almost fainting. Another trigger for non exercise related attacks was tiredness/lack of sleep. I tended to have more attacks in the evening but this might also have been a coincidence.

I was on aspirin up to 6 weeks before the ablation when I had to change to warfarin for the op. Hopefully after seeing the consultant next month I might be able to come off it.

Progress wise I ran a 3000m in 12-12 (same time last year I ran 10-14) which is about 6-30 miling so things are still going in the right direction pulse 164 av/183 max. Stopped taking the flecainide a week ago. Had a couple of flutters but they only lasted a couple of minutes. Haven't been able to train since 3000m due to a sore hip and can't take ibuprofen because off the warfarin !!!

• Options

I'm lost, is this still the latest thread on tachycardia?

How's everyone doing? My sad tale is that I had an ablation in January which only made things worse, I went from having an episode every 6 weeks to having one every week. I spent Easter in hospital because they couldn't get my HR down, it was 150 for 75 hours (yes, 75 hours). I'm on a beta blocker now, but the dosage had to be halved this week because my pulse was going down to 39.

I'm seeing the consultant next week, hopefully he will suggest a way forward.

F'tB

• Options
    I had my ablation in July and have been fine since. I ran my first Marathon last weekend.
    Sorry to hear yours is worse, hopefully this time they will have a better understanding and get it sorted.
  • Options
    I had my ablation April 2011 and it took until the end of September before I started to run OK. Initially my pulse was much higher (90+ at rest) and I had begun to wonder whether it had worked. Even now my resting pulse is in the mid 60's. I'm not quite back to my old self but it hasn't stopped me running 4-56 for 1500m, 10-35 for 3000m, 18-47 for 5K and 30-47 for 5miles. I even managed a gold medal in the V55 category at the UK Masters.

My consultant told me the ablation might not work first time and if you go back through the thread you will see this was the case with Corinthian. I was also given the choice of a one hour under local and home the same day or a more complicated 4-6 hr under a general which carried more risks but was more likely to fix the problem. Which one did you have Matt ?
  • Options

I saw my consultant yesterday. I had a right side ablation under local, but I would need a left side ablation to maybe sort this out. Because of other medical conditions I am unable to have a left side ablation. He hopes to control the tachycardia with medication, but if not they would need to stop the atria communicating with the ventricles and I would need a pacermaker.

F'tB

• Options
    Sorry to hear this. Hope the medication fixes it.
  • Options

I am having an ablation 18th December.   Hopefully will sort out the tachycardia and will not be off running for too long. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Good luck spen!

• Options
    Google led me here, six years later. Ours is not to question why. If anyone tracking this post is still alive, I'd be interested in reactions to a blog post that I've been updating with possible explanations of my own symptoms and diagnoses, which seem similar to others presented here. The post is at https://rundomization.wordpress.com/2019/11/17/pollution/. Based on what I've written there, it seems the participants in this thread may have been describing several distinct sets of problems. Anyway, if anyone has comments or suggestions, I would appreciate hearing about it. This seems to be a fairly rare or specialized kind of malady.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I’m a 30 years old and have been regularly running/training since I was a teenager.

About 4 weeks ago I got out of an ice
    bath and jumped into a shower, my heart immediately went into what I believed was atrial fibrillation. It was a Friday night and I had to get up very early for work the following day, so I’m typical man fashion I ignored it, drove home, turned up the TV, tried to relax and it went away after about 2 hours.

i seen a gp 4 days later, he heard ectopic beats and what they seen on the ECG was ectopic beats. Told me he would put me on a waiting list for a 24 hour monitor and told me not to worry.....there’s still no sign of a
    monitor. <div>
    </div><div>I was told to got to a and e the next time it getting the sensation of atrial
    fibrilation to try to get it confirmed by ECG.
    <div>
    </div><div>I have suffered with random ectopic beats since this incident but in the last 4 days Ive been waking up first thing in the morning with my heart is repeating ectopic beats.... this morning it was so bad I had to go to hospital. The ECG again confirmed ectopic beats....they told me they have written to my doctor, advising starting medication.

these ectopics started this morning at 7am, it’s not 12:30 and they haven’t stopped.

We have the longest waiting lists in the United Kingdom (northern ireland) and as of now, I can’t even look forward to Christmas or a holiday I’ve booked in January.

Anyone else on here suffer with these regularly.

</div></div>
  • Options
    Hello - reviving this thread. I have been diagnosed and should be having my ablation this month.

First of all, thank you to everyone above for the documentation of symptoms and progress. It has been very heartening.

I'll keep you all posted.
  • Options
    Hello - firstly thank you to everyone who documented their journeys! Hopefully I can continue the trend.

So I had my ablation on Tuesday morning.

My heart has a couple of interesting "features" in the way of plumbing so it was a more complicated operation and I was fully knocked out.

It's Sunday evening now and I am starting to feel better. My resting heart rate is within range of before and I have managed to walk a couple of km ish each day since Thursday.

I still have mild chest pains and funny feelings/heart beat occasionally but I suspect this is just the scarring from the operation working its way out.

More updates to come - interested to know how long it took others to get back to running. I feel about 2 weeks away at the moment and that concerns me - did the operation work? should I feel better already?