Options

Wednesday 29th April

WaboWabo ✭✭✭

How a man who died for good..

Fom my Mum today!!!

what: 1 hour reiki

why: voucher gift

last hard: last nights 1.25 'run/shuffle'!!

last easy: mon

easy lyrics I know but my mum's lovely!

take care, whats going on wab got a second thread up????

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    pammie now your session last night sounds like dedication!!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 10.5 miles d&d
    Swim lunchtime
    Why: back on the bus
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Friday 13th March
    Lyrics: easy ?? I don't know them
  • Options

Morning peeps.

Wabo,:You starting the daily thread 2 days in a row and beating Gobi ! Hope you're recovering ok.

What: 4.5 M Steady and saw two deer grazing in a field. That's the Ist time I've seen 2 deer together in 15 years of running here !

Lyrics: Like Gobi, I don't know them either.

Easy ? - Aye right image

Read back time as usual.

Have a good day peeps.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Birkmyre - I was out running at 05.27 this morning :¬0
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Beat me by 30 mins Gobi. Had to do my recovery a little earlier this morning so I could go have somebody stick a needle in me (blood tests - follow up to the glycogen thing).

What: 6m rec d&d / 5k TT pm.
    Why: Schedule.
    Last hard: Monday.
    Last rest: 17/03.
    Lyrics: Nope.....

Have a great day all. Will read back later.

• Options

Morning all; lyrics defeat me as well.

Club run this evening, looks like it will be a rather wet experience.

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

Imski and BR - commiserations for your mara experiences

Hi Stickless [waves]

Take care Wabo, have an easy few days

What: just shy of 9 miles -  up to knole park, one lap, and then back
    Why: working at home so midweek longer run
    Last hard: the first 3 miles of that
    Lasat rest: 16 Feb

It's a fantastic morning for a run today, and Knole Park was particularly lovely. What a great way to start the day.

Have a good day..

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

p.s. if anyone is interested you can see views of Knole Park here (not as sunny as today I'm afraid, but still lovely)

and this is the elevation profile of the run I've just done!  

• Options

Morning all.

Thanks for the sentiments, but a bit embarrassed being associated with stuff like guts and determination. Leave that for the Sticklesses of this world, that battle unwilling bodyparts most days. I just felt I needed to get round and despite having given up on racing it, as I wasn't injured I found it important to finish my first marathon.
    Talked to a friend who ran a perfect sub3 about an hour after finishing and after congratulating her I heard myself saying "I'll just have to run a decent one sometime" so I guess I bounced back fairly quickly. Mrs I asked if I wanted to enter for next year and I wont, but hope the first Malaga marathon gets organised (provisionally beginning december) or otherwise Seville (february) is good and fairly convenient. Not ruling out strolling round a mountain marathon nearby in november either in case I go for Seville.

Touched some people were tracking and the big orange lummox went a bit soft. I'm a lot fitter than I was at Xmas (you could be fooled if you see me walking though) and I enjoyed the training so it's all good. New HM PB along the way too (still fairly soft)

Hilly - usual gritting it out stuff by you, never fail to impress me.
    BR - you and London, that's just not working, is it? I cursed when I looked up your surname and only saw hilly's first name. Then I opened Facebook and saw the free Dylan tickets offer. That amounts to torturing you in my book image Then on the day, running through the capitalist HQs is never going to agree with you. All joking aside, you never looked this good going into London, so disappointing...

Dustin - drinking did concern me and I did drink often, but possibly still not enough. I did carry bottles untill they annoyed me and then a little further still and sipped often, so I did try my best on that level.

What: hobble behind Imskito
    Why: too young to get that daddy isn't moving well

How long untill my legs start improving instead of getting worse? I think status quo compared to yesterday evening now, so maybe reaching turnaround point. fingers crossed

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

i THINK i BETTER CHECK THESE LYRICS, i THINK THEY ARE RIGHT!

oops sorry.

I am resting honest but I just wake up early, I did get to bed early too.

I have looked all through last few days and cannot see hilly's post re flm, how did you do hilly??

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Imski my legs are the worst they have ever been after a mara this year, I hope Reiki does something for them but never been before so I have not got a clue!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

well i know the lyric...

05:27? just pulling into Woking on the way to work....somedays I wish I could work from home...

Went to the club last night, 30minutes fartlek session, with what appeared to be more long fast runs than recoveries. Struggled through, still carrying symptoms of swine flu. Going to leave work early today and get some rest. Thats the plan anyway.

• Options

Hi All

0527: 30 minutes into my run.

What: 10.1 miles d & d at dawn
    Why: 26 days to Comrades
    Last Hard: that would be today, legs like iron, no get up and go and perhaps most of all no training partner. Still was quite suprised to see thye were run near enough at marathon pace
    Last rest: sunday

Imski: I have been saying I just want to run a decent marathon for the past 27 so you maybe in for a long ride!

Trini: This will be my last Comrades, other things to do.

BR: I'm with you, I gave up on London years ago, there are better marathons.

Have fun

• Options

Afternoon all,

Stickless:  The tube story was a made-up humorous vignette;  In actual fact, I had my nose stuck up some fat blokes armpit as usual.

• What:  17m existential crisis
    • Why:  I am cursed to eternally plod the roads in vain pursuit of lost fitness
    • Last Hard:  1/1
    • Last Rest:  16/3

Have a good one!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

5:27 - thats pretty precise Gobi. There is one in the morning, never knew that

Lovely pictures mava looks piicturesque, elevation makes it a tough run though

What: 10.18 miles
    Why: Banking a few aerobic miles
    Last Hard: Today pretty much
    Lyrics: I'm lost

Well making the most of free time back to work tomorrow similar route to saturday mixture of path and trail very warm still waited till 2pm average 10:10 pace though a bit of HR drift in last few miles, but some good miles, saw a fox roaming about 3 dead birds side by side, not good and a cruise liner
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    AF, for five years I did the tube thing once a week. It was an interesting experience trying to adjust to life in close quarters, and other joyous aspects of commute. I am impressed that people manage it 5/7, year in year out. No wonder you've got to run. I will look out for your volume, Sartre on Running when it comes out. Could be a best-seller, well, among certain angst-driven groups.

Hi Mava! You are really lucky in your running routes. Mind you, I think I am pretty lucky too.

Wabo, Imski and others with sore legs - I find DOMS is worst 24 - 48 hours after the event, so you should all be beginning to see improvement, if your experience follows mine. After my first mara even though DOMS had worn off within a week, it was about three months before my legs were again on speaking terms with me. After the last one, they were willing to run again at the end of three days, probably a statement that something other than leg-fitness was the limiting factor in that race (which was severely limited).

I haven't yet decided whether to sign up for London next year. I need a race, but - I failed to sign up for this year's race, and so lost five years worth of rejections. By the time I rack up another six years, I will be a lot older. Not sure that it's worth it. I am looking for a race with scenery, and no time limit. Probably means an LDWA event. Most of all it needs a heart. Probably next autumn.

Me? 3+ miles with the students. They are a very courteous lot, and we have a friendly arrangement by which they begin with a gentle jog at my fast pace, we part company so they can have a bit of a run while I take a shorter route home, and they slow down again when they catch me up, and I have a second speedy interval. It's a gorgeous evening, all went well, although the long grass was almost impossible to run through. That's two days in a row, so tomorrow will be a rest day.

Take care all, rest well marathoners.

• Options

Evening Folks,

Congratulations and commiserations to all marathon runners at the weekend. 

I found FLM a bit too hot for me, before i even put my kit bag on the lorries I was feeling pretty hot. I always struggle in the heat, but I was determined that I would try not think about it too much. I was on the blue start this year, which I hated, the road must narrow after around 1km or so as everyone came to a standstill, which is really annoying. However, having run from the blue start 5 years ago I remembered this would happen and again told myself not to panic, a good warm up mile! 1st mile was around 45 secs slower than hoped but knew the next few miles are generally quicker so just tried to relax. After about 5miles I felt pretty much in my stride and relaxed, I felt good. Then come around 14 miles I started feeling pretty rubbish, the heat was getting to me. So I started pouring water over myself as much as poss and ran under the showers. I managed not to lose the pace too much but did slow a wee bit, I just kept telling myself not to walk and all those hard months of training, losing weight and following Scobos's speedwork plan wasn't gonna be for nothing so I was started to dig deep. By the time I reached around 18/19 miles and Canary Wharf I started feeling pretty good again, although my stomach started rumbling - something that's never happened to me in a marathon before. I had taken all my gels by this time so looked out for kids with jelly babies......you can never find a jelly baby when you need one!! So I started taking lucozade, something I tend not to rely on, but that kicked in almost straight away. Once on the highway again I was feeling strong, I passed a fellow club mate and tried to encourage her to stay with me but she was having a tough time so I went on. I was aiming for somewhere between 335 and 340, (ideally 3.39.10, to beat Scobos's first marathon time) but the hard miles took their toll. I finished the strongest I've ever finished in a marathon, running an 8mm in mile 25! So result, a 2.21 min pb 3.40.33, absolutely delighted!! I know given less heat I can run quicker, it's given me a lot of confidence!! Did end up with some severe chaffing after pouring so much water over my shorts.....ouch!

my splits.....

5 km 0:25:34 25 km2:09:0610 km0:51:0330 km2:35:5215 km1:16:5735 km3:02:4020 km1:42:4940 km3:29:10half1:48:28finish3:40:33

• Options

My splits sorted correctly......

5 km   0:25:34
    10 km 0:51:03
    15 km 1:16:57
    20 km 1:42:49
    half      1:48:28
    25 km 2:09:06
    30 km 2:35:52
    35 km 3:02:40
    40 km 3:29:10
    finish  3:40:33

• Options
    Gobi are you out that early most mornings? What time do you go to bed normally? I have a bit of a fixation with bed times and how early people go running at the moment, not sure why!
  • Options

Mightos-5 - great run - you must be very happy with that. Well done for giving yourself a talking to. So worth it - hot marathons aren't nice are they.

Imski - can't believe that was your first marathon, you've been on this thread so long I was sure you must have taken the bait before this. London must be a hard one for your first one - trying to get the pacing right with so many people in it. The first one is to finish - imagine the huge PB you are going to get in your next one.

Stickless - I wouldn't mind reading that book tooimage Sounds like you and your students have got your run sorted so you can all have fun.

DD - all coming together nicely - good luck for Comrades.

What: 6 miles flat, running with just one of my friends. Only one of our Wednesday group running Rotorua marathon on Saturday - hope she goes well.

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

evening.

Mightos-5 - superb marathon, well done!

Wabo - hope your DOMS is starting to iimprove. 

Has anyone read the book "What I talk about when I talk about running"?  Thinkng of getting it to read on holiday.

NZC - has Rotorua really rolled around again?  good grief where does the time go? 

My brain is well and truly fried after a day working on SPSS - I'm sure life would be easier if I was a bit more methodical in the way I do things.  But I learned to do something new today which has to be a good thing.

I've finally bitten the bullet and made an appointment to see the osteopath tomorrow.  My back has been terrible the last few days, and at its worst when I get into bed. Had to sleep flat on my back with no pillow last night.  Hope the osteo works better than the massage.

Enjoy what's left of the evening. 

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Andy

During proper training I get up at 5am(sometimes 4am) always try to be in bed before 11pm

Gobi
  • Options
    Hmmmm.....so that could still  be as little as 5 - 6 hours sleep per night. That doesn't have a negative effect?
  • Options
    Mava - yes, it's here again - glad I'm in no condition to run so I'm certainly glad I didn't enter. My son bought me that book to read - I thought it was terrible - didn't do it for me anyway. Think there are more inspirational books out there. Have a lovely holiday.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

evening all.

mava legs improving, though the old morton toe still very sore.  I will allow myself a very gentle jog in the morning.

stickless sounds like a nice run for all concerned!

mighto-s wow, you got it prtetty spot on, how good! well done to you, water does cause problems, mine on my back from a wet sports bra, ouch!

lyrics, for my mum, Happy Birthday to you, Stevie Wonder...wonder if I get to do a 3rd....

Oh reiki, it was amazing tbh.    I left there  a bit of a zombie.

night all

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Mava - great book (I'm currently reading the English translation - which is as good as the original Japanese...)

SD

• Options

Mava
    I also play with SPSS from time to time - what do you do?

What:  8 miles in a bit over an hour
    Why:  Club run

Did the first lap of the Great West Run, very boring route & it rained a lot, but running was OK.  Pub was better!

• Options
    Slow Duck - isn't that funny that we both had such different reactions to the book. I know he is a well-known author who decided to write about just what he does - run, but felt there could be so much more. You don't have to be a great runner to write a good running book. A local woman who found the joys of running recently put out a book - "Fat chick to Marathon runner:" It was a pretty good read - especially encouraging to women to get out there and have a go.